Can anyone help me understand these verses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
Isaiah 55:6-7,6 Seek יהוה while He is to be found, call on Him while He is near."7 Let the wrong forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts. Let him return to יהוה, who has compassion on him, and to our Mighty One, for He pardons much."

Aug 8, 2018
That is what is meant in the Hebrews verses in question. The restoration is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If one rejects this after having known , then one can not be restored again. Even what the patriarchs of the OC did was before the restoration- COMING OF CHRIST. All done before having known what Christ expects from you is forgivable but once restored , NOT.

All the behavior of the OC patriarchs are lessons for us today, Christ is the RESTORATION, satan is the thief, once Christ restores back to you what the thief stole from you to begin with why would you give it back to the thief?

Aug 8, 2018
HAHAHAH the more you speak the more you prove you don't know much....

Judas was never saved

a. Devil from the BEGINNING
b. Thief holding the bag
c. SON of PERDITION

Go study and then come flap!
Please put the scriptural verse not just a, b or c. Say whatever you want scripture is clearly addressing the meaning of Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I am only quoting scripture. So, your "HAHAHAHA" is not TOWARD ME but TOWARD THE WORD. It is clear the word is addressing a possible thing, or else Christ would not have said it. You act like I am saying this OP person has done such a thing. Again only giving the CORRECT meaning of the verses in question and have even done so with St. Peter.

It is very simple- does Christ say that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the ONLY sin which will not be forgiven? And does not Hebrews and St. Peter explain what that is? Not sure what your beef is with the WORD.

Aug 8, 2018
AND.....IRREVOCABLE..........of course they reject this word....it does not fit their weak god and the loseable salvation that he peddles....<---RELIGION'S god that is
No one is rejecting (IRREVOCABLE) just the false limited application of the verse posted. The context of the verse is more clearly understood by the content of the the rest which precedes it and follows. Context is important. For instance, if the word is- you shot someone and everyone based the verdict solely on that information, you are convicted. But if the full context is : While in a tree stand hunting, you fell out of the tree and shot another hunter near by when your gun went off as you hit the ground, then the full context of the story is known.

Say what you want, the full context of any story or in this case The Letter of Romans is important to making points and verdicts. Again the Word is clear concerning Hebrews, if one rejects his or her restoration, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be restored again. Pretty clear. The apostles do not speak in fairy tale like terms of impossibilities but in reality of real possibilities and concerns. If it is not possible to reject your Restoration then there would be no need to write and speak about it . There would be no need to warn Christians about the Mark of the Beast then either, for then it would not matter if you receive it. After all according to you there is no such thing as Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Well, you can continue in your fairy tale, I'll put my faith in what the Word clearly says, and for sure, I will not reject my Restoration, for NO ONE or anything will separate me from the love within MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST (Yeshua Hamashiach), not even you with your false doctrine touted!

Dec 12, 2013
Thankyou so much for your comment,

Yes I read it and was worried what it means..
Ie, can I lose my salvation?”
It troubled me, I was raised in a believing home but due to my rebellion I turned away and lived such a sinful life. I was worried this might have meant me.
The Prodigal son was a son throughout the whole process of buring his inheritance through riotous living....he was only perceived as dead by his actions though very much alive...at the end he was still received as a SON with a ring and covered....those who erroneously use HEBREWS to say salvation can be lost and NOT regained are oblivious to the fact that if that were the case the Prodigal would not have been received....

The GOOD shepherd LEAVES the 99 to find the ONE SHEEP that wanders away into the world...that sheep is NEVER identified as a GOAT, but rather a sheep....it is the SPIRIT that has been born from above, of INCORRUPTABLE ETERNAL SEED and that gift is IRREVOCABLE......

The bible is clear...we have been eternally saved, justified and sanctified positionally in Christ...God deals with us as Children, he whips us, we may lose rewards, we may even stand saved yet so as by fire before his throne, but the bible does not teach a loseable salvation....that is a lie....!

Dec 12, 2013
Please put the scriptural verse not just a, b or c. Say whatever you want scripture is clearly addressing the meaning of Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I am only quoting scripture. So, your "HAHAHAHA" is not TOWARD ME but TOWARD THE WORD. It is clear the word is addressing a possible thing, or else Christ would not have said it. You act like I am saying this OP person has done such a thing. Again only giving the CORRECT meaning of the verses in question and have even done so with St. Peter.

It is very simple- does Christ say that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the ONLY sin which will not be forgiven? And does not Hebrews and St. Peter explain what that is? Not sure what your beef is with the WORD.
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to DENY the work of Christ as being from GOD...<---this is a state of UNBELIEF....one who WILL NOT BELIEVE cannot be forgiven........THAT is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.....

Dec 12, 2013
Amen! John 17:12 - While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. John 18:9 - that the saying might be fulfilled which He spoke, "Of those whom You gave Me I have lost none." Jesus did not lose Judas. He was already lost. Judas was an unbelieving, unclean devil who betrayed Jesus (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11).

Syllogism

1. All given by the Father to Jesus are kept.
2. Judas was not kept.
3. Judas was not given to Jesus by the Father

Or, this way.

1. None of those given to Jesus by the Father will be lost by Jesus.
2. Judas is lost.
3. Judas was not given to Jesus by the Father.
AMEN....the truth is the truth and ONLY those who teach a false salvation that can be lost try to twist JUDAS into a saved man that lost salvation.....he was never saved to begin with and was chosen on purpose by Christ to sell out Christ.....

Dec 12, 2013
So does this mean for example me as a child I was brought up in a believing home accepted Christ but in my teens I fell into rebellion and lived sinful, I still believed in Christ but was not walking with Him.
Does this still mean I cannot be saved?

Now I Feel I am truly trying to walk with Him, I read and try to understand the Bible. I do feel like I have changed, I am very regretful and repent and cry for all the sins of my past... I even felt called to be baptized.

Am I what the author of Hebrews is talking about?
Do not buy what Firstlovedbyhim is selling.....Salvation is a one off event with present continuing results....Perfect TENSE GREEK verbs tied to salvation set for the following truth....

a. Was saved when we believed
b. Are saved right now
c. Continuing to be saved into the future

God's deals with us as children/sheep not goats....he whips us, chastens us, may take rewards from us, may even take our physical life and yet the SPIRIT remains born of INCORRUPTABLE SEED and the gift of life is IRREVOCABLE.....and eternal means exactly that....if salvation was temporal and could be lost the word ETERNAL and or EVERLASTING would not have been used.......

Aug 8, 2018
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to DENY the work of Christ as being from GOD...<---this is a state of UNBELIEF....one who WILL NOT BELIEVE cannot be forgiven........THAT is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.....
No doubt, and one who will not believe there are consequences to rejecting their restoration is in disbelief. Scripture is still clear , it is impossible to restore someone AGAIN when they reject their restoration. That is the discussion. You state the OBVIOUS. This is about less obvious and more complicated matters of the faith. You stick with the easy and let the enlightened address the more complicated and don't hurt yourself. When in first grade how can you understand 12th. It's that simple. I am right because the scripture is.

Dec 12, 2013
No one is rejecting (IRREVOCABLE) just the false limited application of the verse posted. The context of the verse is more clearly understood by the content of the the rest which precedes it and follows. Context is important. For instance, if the word is- you shot someone and everyone based the verdict solely on that information, you are convicted. But if the full context is : While in a tree stand hunting, you fell out of the tree and shot another hunter near by when your gun went off as you hit the ground, then the full context of the story is known.

Say what you want, the full context of any story or in this case The Letter of Romans is important to making points and verdicts. Again the Word is clear concerning Hebrews, if one rejects his or her restoration, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be restored again. Pretty clear. The apostles do not speak in fairy tale like terms of impossibilities but in reality of real possibilities and concerns. If it is not possible to reject your Restoration then there would be no need to write and speak about it . There would be no need to warn Christians about the Mark of the Beast then either, for then it would not matter if you receive it. After all according to you there is no such thing as Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Well, you can continue in your fairy tale, I'll put my faith in what the Word clearly says, and for sure, I will not reject my Restoration, for NO ONE or anything will separate me from the love within MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST (Yeshua Hamashiach), not even you with your false doctrine touted!
No offence, you can save the rhetoric..the bible does not teach a loseable salvation....I do not just whip beliefs out of the air and way too many scriptures, context, verb tense etc. must be rejected, denied, tossed out, embellished, changed and or twisted to teach or believe in a salvation that can be lost.......and the above is ridiculous the delusion is only sent to those who will not receive the love of the truth.....your logic is flawed and it is obvious that you, like many workers for and salvation losers, are not open to actual biblical truths and principles that prove your error.....so.....let us just cut to the chase....ignore me and I will ignore you......simple solution!

Dec 12, 2013
No doubt, and one who will not believe there are consequences to rejecting their restoration is in disbelief. Scripture is still clear , it is impossible to restore someone AGAIN when they reject their restoration. That is the discussion. You state the OBVIOUS. This is about less obvious and more complicated matters of the faith. You stick with the easy and let the enlightened address the more complicated and don't hurt yourself. When in first grade how can you understand 12th. It's that simple. I am right because the scripture is.
Wrong again.....those saved who wander are chastened, lose reward, possibly lose their physical life....NO where does it indicate they lose their salvation....and the bolded is ignorant and rather immature/mouthy/childish...how old are you 14?

Aug 8, 2018
Do not buy what Firstlovedbyhim is selling.....Salvation is a one off event with present continuing results....Perfect TENSE GREEK verbs tied to salvation set for the following truth....

a. Was saved when we believed
b. Are saved right now
c. Continuing to be saved into the future

God's deals with us as children/sheep not goats....he whips us, chastens us, may take rewards from us, may even take our physical life and yet the SPIRIT remains born of INCORRUPTABLE SEED and the gift of life is IRREVOCABLE.....and eternal means exactly that....if salvation was temporal and could be lost the word ETERNAL and or EVERLASTING would not have been used.......
You do not even know Greek, you can not even understand English. She does have to buy what I am saying, because I am quoting the Word. Her OP is the word and it is clear. My question to you is, why would you be deterring someone from being aware of the obvious concerning rejecting their restoration? Why would you be trying to blind her to the obvious in Hebrews and St. Peter? Have you rejected your restoration? And again scripture please not just your interpretation and stating "Perfect Tense Greek" and too- not show that . As I said , you do not even have a handle on English.

Aug 8, 2018
No offence, you can save the rhetoric..the bible does not teach a loseable salvation....I do not just whip beliefs out of the air and way too many scriptures, context, verb tense etc. must be rejected, denied, tossed out, embellished, changed and or twisted to teach or believe in a salvation that can be lost.......and the above is ridiculous the delusion is only sent to those who will not receive the love of the truth.....your logic is flawed and it is obvious that you, like many workers for and salvation losers, are not open to actual biblical truths and principles that prove your error.....so.....let us just cut to the chase....ignore me and I will ignore you......simple solution!
Wrong again.....those saved who wander are chastened, lose reward, possibly lose their physical life....NO where does it indicate they lose their salvation....and the bolded is ignorant and rather immature/mouthy/childish...how old are you 14?

“For it is(impossible), in the case of those who have (once) been enlightened, who( have tasted )the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come,( and THEN have FALLEN away), to (restore) them (again) to repentance, (since they are crucifying once AGAIN) the Son of God to their (own harm )and holding him up to contempt.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭6:4-6‬ ‭ESV‬
Does this really sound like a good thing to you?
Okay English major, explain have at it! Do you need a dictionary to know what IMPOSSIBLE means, AGAIN, , THEN and FALLEN AWAY. Please let's hear it.

Aug 8, 2018
U

UnderGrace

You do not even know Greek, you can not even understand English. She does have to buy what I am saying, because I am quoting the Word. Her OP is the word and it is clear. My question to you is, why would you be deterring someone from being aware of the obvious concerning rejecting their restoration? Why would you be trying to blind her to the obvious in Hebrews and St. Peter? Have you rejected your restoration? And again scripture please not just your interpretation and stating "Perfect Tense Greek" and too- not show that . As I said , you do not even have a handle on English.

You seem to like the word restoration which is fine, yet there is more to being a born again believer than being restored to a relationship with God if that is how you are using it.

We are also justified by God, no man or woman can undo the justification declared by God by their own volition.

U

UnderGrace

@FirstLovedByHim

Here maybe this will help you understand since you do affirm context is important

To understand Hebrews need to remember the audience.
He was writing to HEBREW believers.
They were Jewish Christians NOT gentiles.

All the warnings in the book of Hebrews were written to tell them to stop leaving the finished work of Christ to go back to their own works righteousness and animal sacrifices. They were professing Christians but they kept going back and offering sacrifices at the temple.

This is the 'falling away" the author was writing about.
None of these warnings were supposed to instill fear about our salvation, they were meant to clarify that we live by FAITH in the FINISHED work of Christ and to stop going back to the old way of living by the law and animal sacrifices!

V1-3: "Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits"

After this comes verse 4: "For it is impossible..." (the "for" being a conclusion)

Connection here between elementary principles, the going on and on again about the foundation of repentance...... and then it goes on to confirm an elementary principle - the impossibility of being saved, unsaved, then saved again (impossible to be renewed again when already renewed) - this is elementary!!

U

UnderGrace

The question is more importantly why are you deterring someone from the assurance of their salvation in Christ Jesus:unsure:

The results of your faulty doctrine provoke shame, guilt, fear and anxiety in the life of the born again believer.

Jesus has promised He would not loose one!

Dec 12, 2013
You seem to like the word restoration which is fine, yet there is more to being a born again believer than being restored to a relationship with God if that is how you are using it.

We are also justified by God, no man or woman can undo the justification declared by God by their own volition.
Amen...they obviously have no concept of the difference between SONSHIP and FELLOWSHIP........

One is eternally secure in Christ, the other is subject to walking in the light as he is in the light
One is eternally secure in Christ, the other can be broken or hindered by walking contrary to the truth
One is eternally secure based upon positional sanctification in Christ, they other is conditional and based upon physical sanctification due to obedience and or a lack thereof.....

Aug 8, 2018
NONE OF THIS THAT EITHER OF YOU PUT CHANGES THE MEANING OF HEBREWS.

U

UnderGrace

NONE OF THIS THAT EITHER OF YOU PUT CHANGES THE MEANING OF HEBREWS.
The rightly understood meaning is the only true meaning and that meaning is about Jesus and His completed finished work for those who believe upon Him, He is the final and complete sacrifice never to be repeated or undone.

SCRIPTURE TRUTH - 101

Assurance of Salvation

Objective Reasons -

1. The objective reason is the finished work on the cross (Hebrews 10:14). "For by one sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."

2. Assurance is grounded in the work of God in Christ outside of and apart from you (Romans 8:32). "He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all—how will He not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

3. God did what needed to be done and will give you everything you need in Christ for eternal salvation.

4. It is faith in Him, not in yourselves, a church, or in faith that saves.

5. It is also not the intensity of your faith but the Object (Christ Jesus) of your faith who saves to the uttermost. His name is Faithful and True