Can be gay and a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
The correct answer would be NO! (1 Cor. 6:9-11)

Yet some people think you could:

**link removed**

It is sad how deceived somebody can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 12, 2013
How many ways can we say no.........and in how many languages.......

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
Can one sin and still be a Christian? Just wondering.
yes:

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us."

HOWEVER:

1 John 2:1-2, "My little children, I write these things to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father: Yahshua Messiah, the Righteous; and He is the sacrifice of atonement for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

1 John 3:4, "Whoever commits sin* (#G266), transgresses also the Law; for sin is the transgression of the Law."

*#G266 hamartian ἁμαρτίαν sin

1 John 5:18, "We know that everyone having been born of YHWH does not sin* (#G264), but the one having been born of YHWH guards himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.”

, to me the above verses in the greek show the difference between sinning and living a life of sin...

Also this is an awesome explanation:

John 8:34-36, “יהושע answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone doing sin is a servant of sin. And the servant does not stay in the house forever – a son stays forever. If, then, the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”

*#G264 hamartanei ἁμαρτάνει, continue to sin

Dec 12, 2013
Christians do fail and sin all the time, but most seem to forget that being gay or homosexual has a particular application of the word of God which goes above and beyond just a believer sinning....The bible is clear, homosexuals have reached the end of the proverbial rope and God states clearly that he has GIVEN THEM OVER to a reprobate MIND void of spiritual judgment and that the only thing to expect is the judgment of God.....Romans teaches this.....also we forget that God did extend mercy to David as a saved child of God even though he committed murder and adultery....under the law he should of died, yet was spared and chastened and at the same time we see God burning 4 of 5 cities of the plain to the ground in his wrath against homosexuality and going after strange flesh<--JUDE....I personally believe sex with animals was involved as well......

S

SpoonJuly

One can be a child of God, (saved) and not be a Christian (living a Christ like life).
We all have been there from time to time.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018

**link removed**

Being gay, like anyother sin, while we have all sinned, if we truly go to the Most High and He changes our hearts, and He says He will, I don't think anyone can continue in sin bondage if they are truly IN MESSIAH, no matter this sin or any major sin/sin bondage...

John 8:34-36, “יהושע answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone doing sin is a servant of sin. And the servant does not stay in the house forever – a son stays forever. If, then, the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”

I dont think it happens overnight but I think if one is truly seeking Him they will eventually change...

Psalm 51:10, “Create in me a clean heart, O Mighty One, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

1 John/Yahanan 2:6, "He who says he abides in Him, is himself also obligated to walk as He walked."

1 John 3:24, “And the one guarding His commands stays in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He stays in us, by the Spirit which He gave us.”

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
The ONLY unpardonable sin is not believing in Jesus. If any other sin separated us from God. We would ALL be destined to hell.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I am not defending the lifestyle of the gays but I would have to disagree with the op and before everyone gets upset allow me to explain. I like to help troubled people and in pm's I have helped many many people in their struggles and one of the struggles I have had to help with is the gays. You would be surprised how many people love God and want more than anything to live as he does and to be his light on the world but struggle with such desires. We don't get to choose our sexual attractiveness when we are born and even when we are saved sometimes these desires don't simply go away in fact sometimes they are chains in which people constantly bear but look to Jesus for the key to their shackles.

One can be saved but that doesn't mean that desires like that will disappear and many who have to deal with this are very confused why God doesn't take it away and are constantly under heavy fire from other Christians because they are (gay) posts like this are the ones that break people who have to struggle with such things, many end up believing they are going to hell and some lose faith all together because instead of being helped and guided and built up in faith they were broken down attacked and hell bound by those who they came to seek help from.

We are the ones who claim to bear his name on our hearts, we are the ones who are said to be love more so than the regular standard and our job is to help the weak and the broken, to guide them teach them build them up and show them they are far more than what they think they are, not to attack badger and break down. It's easy to say such things and to rebuke the gays but unless one understands the struggles they are dealing with and the chains they bear then what good does it do? I have known many who struggle with such things and yet vigilantly seek him out with all their hearts.

M

Miri

Actually I believe the answer is Yes if they do not have a partner.

It’s sin which seperates not temptation. Overwise Jesus would have
sinned.

If someone is gay claims to be a Christian but continues in homosexual
practices with impunity, and without regret and shame, I would say they
are not saved.

However if they remain single and by the grace of Christ, do not indulge
in those practices despite having homosexual feelings, I think that’s a
different matter. Otherwise it would be impossible for straight people
to be saved as well!

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016

**link removed**

"And that is what some of you once were, but now you are changed..." "And now you must lay aside the misdeeds of the body." "Do not be deceived, anyone who lives like this will not enter heaven."

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
The ONLY unpardonable sin is not believing in Jesus. If any other sin separated us from God. We would ALL be destined to hell.
Hi Embankment, the unpardonable sin mentioned in Matthew, Mark, & Luke seems to be a specific sin which occurs when someone blasphemes the Holy Spirit, and that in a very particular manner. How do you understand "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" (which is a sin of commission) to be the same thing as "not believing in Jesus" (which is a sin of omission)?

There is also the fact that this particular sin is said to be unforgivable from the moment it's committed, that it is an "eternal sin" that cannot be forgiven in this life, or in the life to come.

If "unbelief" is an unpardonable sin in this life, then who could possibly be saved?

Thanks!

~Deut

.......Matthew 12
.......31 Any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
.......32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit,
.......it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

.......Mark 3
.......28 ..Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
.......29 ..but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin
.......30 ..because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
yes:

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us."

The meaning of the post is, can a person willfully continue to practice a same-sex life style and be a Christian. The answer to that is a definite no! While it is true that we have a sinful nature, there is a difference between the true believer doing all that we can to resist it, opposed to those who are willfully engaging in it.

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

The difference here is those who sinners who are resisting sin, opposed to those who are willfully engaged in it. Those who claim to be in Christ but do not recognize the same-sex life style as being sin with the intention of continuing in it, have not even repented. They are not in agreement with God about their sins.

To be clear, those who have been living a same-sex life style, recognizing it as sin and have repented, then they are saved, for they are wrestling to overcome it. The problem we have today is that, those living same-sex life styles want to justify it as being the same as marriage between a man and a woman.

They have the freedom to continue in that life style if they choose, however, the consequences are the same, which is separation from God and eternal punishment in the lake of fire. They call us haters because they don't like hearing that what they are doing is sin. But like I said, they can make the choice to continue in that life style, but it keeps them separated from God.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Hi Embankment, the unpardonable sin mentioned in Matthew, Mark, & Luke seems to be a specific sin which occurs when someone blasphemes the Holy Spirit, and that in a very particular manner. How do you understand "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" (which is a sin of commission) to be the same thing as "not believing in Jesus" (which is a sin of omission)?

There is also the fact that this particular sin is said to be unforgivable from the moment it's committed, that it is an "eternal sin" that cannot be forgiven in this life, or in the life to come.

If "unbelief" is an unpardonable sin in this life, then who could possibly be saved?

Thanks!

~Deut

.......Matthew 12
.......31 Any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
.......32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit,
.......it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come

.......Mark 3
.......28 ..Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
.......29 ..but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin
.......30 ..because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”
And what is the Holy Spirit saying? Believe that Jesus is the son of God. It all boils down to the same thing.

Feb 28, 2016
a true Christian's heart is to truly not deliberately sin against their Saviour, ever -
but,
if someone knows better but chooses to deliberately 'live-in' continual sin
against our Saviour's moral-laws, then that is a whole different game, a very
dangerous game...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
can you be a thief or a liar and a Christian?

or would you stop identifying yourself as a such things, even though you may still stumble and commit such sins?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Many figures of the Bible have been guilty of many things even though they believed God and trusted in Him. The guilt of sin is not held against them.

If you need a good example, read all about King David. Samson is another, and there are many more.
Neither you nor I are as great as some of these folks, so I suppose a person who believes can steal or lie, and it will not be held against them as long as they trust in Jesus.

Now living habitually in sin and not caring is another color horse.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

**link removed**

So it seems you are declaring the sins revealed in that scripture to all be unforgivable sins..

Fornication
Idolaters
Adultery
effeminate
abusers of themselves with mankind
theft
covetous
drunkards
revilers
extortion

I do not believe that..

I believe that there is only one sin Jesus revealed that would never have forgiveness and that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit..

Mark 3 KJV
22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?

24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
So it seems you are declaring the sins revealed in that scripture to all be unforgivable sins..

Fornication
Idolaters
Adultery
effeminate
abusers of themselves with mankind
theft
covetous
drunkards
revilers
extortion

I do not believe that..

I believe that there is only one sin Jesus revealed that would never have forgiveness and that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit..

Mark 3 KJV
22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?

24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
I never said homosexuality could not be forgaven. I am not Fred Phelps or Steven Anderson