Can one repent at the Judgement or after death?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Hebrew 9:27 says death followed by Judgement. It does not say one can not repent after death.

So, what texts do say one can not repent after death?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The story of the rich man and Lazarus would indicate that effective repentance after death is not possible.

Jan 14, 2021
The story of the rich man and Lazarus would indicate that effective repentance after death is not possible.
The story of the rich man and Lazarus is about Hades, not the judgement. It has no bearing on whether or not one can repent and be saved after death. The only element we may draw from the story is that when someone enters the rich man's part of Hades they are committed there until Judgement day. On the Judgement day everyone in Hades is removed from Hades. No passages indicate that the rich man was destined for the Lake of Fire. No passages indicate that the rich man was disqualified from finding salvation while in Hades.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Hebrew 9:27 says death followed by Judgement. It does not say one can not repent after death.

We are told that those, at the GWTJ, whose names are not written in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire. It's too late.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The story of the rich man and Lazarus is about Hades, not the judgement. It has no bearing on whether or not one can repent and be saved after death. The only element we may draw from the story is that when someone enters the rich man's part of Hades they are committed there until Judgement day. On the Judgement day everyone in Hades is removed from Hades. No passages indicate that the rich man was destined for the Lake of Fire. No passages indicate that the rich man was disqualified from finding salvation while in Hades.
I disagree completely. The rich man knew he was in torment AFTER DEATH.

It is appointed to man to die once, and then face judgement. There is nothing in Scripture to suggest there is any opportunity to repent; such a belief is the lie of the universalists.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
In the renditions I know, the rich man was desperatee for God to allow Lazarus to return and warn his family so they too would not suffer such a fate. *I believe it was Lazarus He asked to return it could have been another.. u inform me..God bless all.

Jan 14, 2021
I disagree completely. The rich man knew he was in torment AFTER DEATH.

It is appointed to man to die once, and then face judgement. There is nothing in Scripture to suggest there is any opportunity to repent; such a belief is the lie of the universalists.
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." - Hebrews 9:27-28 KJV

Appointed to die and then after face judgement. There is no reason to assume that "after" means immediately after death. There are reasons to interpret "after this the judgement" as a reference to Judgement Day. There is nothing in scripture (that I'm aware of) that suggests that the opportunity to repent is suddenly lost at the point of death.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." - Hebrews 9:27-28 KJV

Appointed to die and then after face judgement. There is no reason to assume that "after" means immediately after death. There are reasons to interpret "after this the judgement" as a reference to Judgement Day. There is nothing in scripture (that I'm aware of) that suggests that the opportunity to repent is suddenly lost at the point of death.
Than every body repent after judgement

Jan 14, 2021
Than every body repent after judgement
The opportunity for finding salvation after death would not necessarily mean that everyone would find salvation.

Another way to look at this question is to ask if Hades is "the green mile" to the lake of fire. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. There isn't anything that clearly states that inhabitants of Hades will or will not have their name in the book of life.

If people can't find Christ after death, when did Abraham find Christ? (John 8:56) A prophesy? A vision given to him on his deathbed? There are examples of dead people that are conscious. What is stopping a conscious dead person from accepting Christ?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Demonstrate your case with scripture.
“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

Jan 14, 2021
“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
I agree that this is talking about places in Hades (or Hades and another place) with a divide that can't be crossed, but everyone is emptied out of Hades in the Judgement.

"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and [Hades] delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and [Hades] were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20:13-16 KJV

Hades could be the "green mile" for the lake of fire. It could also be the case that Hades is not the "green mile" for the lake of fire. Both interpretations appear to be consistent with scripture.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I agree that this is talking about places in Hades (or Hades and another place) with a divide that can't be crossed, but everyone is emptied out of Hades in the Judgement.

"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and [Hades] delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and [Hades] were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20:13-16 KJV

Hades could be the "green mile" for the lake of fire. It could also be the case that Hades is not the "green mile" for the lake of fire. Both interpretations appear to be consistent with scripture.
I believe the point is that after the first death, there is no crossing the great divide that separates the saved from the lost...

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

Good day, TheLearner,

If that was possible, no one would be going into the lake of fire. For after the spirits of the dead experiencing the flames in Hades and the prospect of being cast into the lake of fire, I'm pretty positive that everyone one would says "Yes" to the offer of salvation.

In the event of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man asked Abraham to send Lazarus back up from the dead to go and warn his five brothers so that they wouldn't come to the same place of torment that he had. But Abraham referred them to Moses and the prophets, i.e. the world of God.

We also have the scripture which says, "man is once to die, then comes the judgment."

We also have Revelation 20:11-15 which shows that the bodies of those spirits in hades will resurrect albeit mete for their punishment in the lake of fire.

Today is the day of salvation, i.e. while one is still alive. After the death of the body, the persons record is sealed. If they did not have faith in Christ before they died, then they will be held accountable for all of their sins instead of Christ. And as Jesus said, "They will give account of every idle word which they have spoken."

There are no scriptures that suggest or even hint at the offer of salvation after the death of the body.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018

Here are some passages for your consideration:

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 1 Thess 4:13-14 (KJV)

The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his death. Prov 14:32 (KJV)

Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. John 8:21 (KJV)

When a wicked man dieth, his expectation shall perish: and the hope of unjust men perisheth. Prov 11:7 (KJV)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
The opportunity for finding salvation after death would not necessarily mean that everyone would find salvation.

Another way to look at this question is to ask if Hades is "the green mile" to the lake of fire. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. There isn't anything that clearly states that inhabitants of Hades will or will not have their name in the book of life.

If people can't find Christ after death, when did Abraham find Christ? (John 8:56) A prophesy? A vision given to him on his deathbed? There are examples of dead people that are conscious. What is stopping a conscious dead person from accepting Christ?
You mention Abraham find christ
the topic is not when Abraham find Christ the topic is is possible repent after judgement.
That is 2 different topic
Abraham repent before judgement

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
I prefer not to take my chances, especially due to my colored past.

So, I will once again confess that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. Just in case anyone missed it the first time.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

The story of Esau comes to mind. He regretted his foolishness when he sold his birthright for a bowl of soup. There was nothing he could do to get it back. Lots of people regret doing and saying things. The consequences are the same whether they are sorry or not.

People just don't seem to get it. All mankind is born dead in trespass and sin. Dead is dead. We get opportunities to be made alive in this lifetime. That is what it is to be born again. There is no second chance. Dead people will appear before God's throne of judgement where sentence will be pronounced. Live people, those who are born again, will appear at a prize giving ceremony in order to receive rewards for what, through Christ, they have done in this life. Some will get nothing because they've lived for themselves. Some will get more because they at least did something unto the Lord. Some will be blessed beyond measure because they were 100% consecrated to God's will and they carried their cross daily.

We get one shot at life before the judgement. It is wise to make the most of it. I'm 70, so yes, I'm most conscious of these issues.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
There is no second chance. Dead people will appear before God's throne of judgement whe
yep second chance is lie and the devil seem to encourage this second chance doctrine to incourage sin any way if we can make it now we make it after judgement