can someone explain why do we christians say Jesus is God himself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The problem is that the full titles aren't being used.

God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Each can also be called God on their own.

So there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is God, but Jesus is not God the Father because Jesus is God the Son.
I have heard it explained like this:

God . . . . . . . = . . . the Father of us

Jesus . . . . . .= . . . God the Son as us

Holy Spirit. = . . . God in us

:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

John 1:18 and 1 Timothy 4:1-2
Thank you for the inspiration .:)

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
I have heard it explained like this:

God . . . . . . . = . . . the Father of us

Jesus . . . . . .= . . . God the Son as us

Holy Spirit. = . . . God in us

:)

Well, I would not agree with the first one being listed just as "God". IMO it should be "The Father = the Father of us"

Aug 10, 2023
Welcome to CC!

There are many verses that say so fairly directly; some of them have been posted already. Also, the sum total of the teaching of Scripture is that Jesus is Himself God.

Here is a straightforward logical argument directly from Scripture:

Rev. 1:17b-18a "I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!"

Revelation 2:8 "These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again."

These verses connect "the First and the Last" with descriptions that can only refer to Jesus.

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what the Lord says— Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."

Rev. 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”

I would encourage you to keep searching until you are absolutely convinced. :)
I love how Revelation 1:8 takes a truth about God from Isaiah 44:6 and applies it to Jesus. Either the author of Revelation is a blasphemer, or Jesus is indeed God in the flesh. I opt for the latter.

Another passage that was pointed out to me in recent years is Hebrews 1:5-12. Especially verse 8, where the author writes, "But regarding the Son he says, 'Your throne, God, is forever and ever.'"

Arin07

Aug 31, 2023
i asked this question because in the bible it says only God knows when he will send Jesus back to earth for the rapture even Jesus doesn't know the time. So if Jesus is God why doesn't he know the time of the rapture?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
i asked this question because in the bible it says only God knows when he will send Jesus back to earth for the rapture even Jesus doesn't know the time. So if Jesus is God why doesn't he know the time of the rapture?
I hope the following answers this question.

This is from a post our beloved brother @Aaron56 made recently: source

He spoke these words as Jesus: "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father". But Jesus died and was raised, becoming the Christ, a life-giving Spirit. His nature, then, transcended time and space. For example, while it was not possible to include all believers in Jesus as His body, because He was a singular man with one body, it is now possible to include all believers in Christ.

But let's look at a couple things:

First, what was said is "No one knows..." This is present tense. As in "no one knows at this time". So, who doesn't know,
He said no one (man), angels, nor the Son; so even He did not know. He did not know as Jesus. Only the Father knew.

Let's look at something the Holy Spirit revealed to John:

Revelation 1: "This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon
come to pass. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, who testifies to everything he saw."

So, right away we see that this is the revelation of Jesus Christ given to Him by God.
AND THEN, we see that it was given to an angel to give to John.

Jesus said "No one (man) knows, not the angels, not the Son only God. So...

No man > no angel > no Son > only God.

But Revelation 1 reverses the order of Jesus' words. In this instance,
Jesus who is now the Christ, gives it to an angel to give to John.

But how did Christ get it? From the Father.

When Jesus addressed His departure, He comforted the disciples with many words.
In John 16 this is recorded:

"He (the Father) will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things
that the Father has are Mine.
Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you."

Jesus knew His Father was about to glorify Him with the glory He had in the beginning. He also knew
that all the Father had was His inheritance and that He (Jesus) was about to receive all the Father had.

Well, the Father knew the Day. So, Jesus, as the Christ, is about to receive the knowledge of the Day.

So, when He originally spoke "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels
in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father
" He was telling the truth, He did not know.

But now that He was going to the Father to inherit all the Father had, the revelation of the Day would be given to Him.

So, the original order was no man > no angel > no Son > only God.

But, now from heaven, through an angel, Christ gives the revelation to a man, John.

"This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon come
to pass.He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, who testifies to everything he saw."

God gives to the >Son gives to the angels >gives to man. This is a complete reversal of the order. The circle is complete.

But if that isn't enough, here is 1 Thessalonians 5

"Now about the times and seasons, brothers, we do not need to write to you. For you are fully aware that
the Day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “Peace and security,”
destruction will come upon them suddenly, like labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

But you, brothers, are not in the darkness...

(So he's making a comparison between two camps: those who ARE in darkness and those who ARE NOT in darkness)
..so that this day should overtake you like a thief. For you are all sons of the light and sons of the day; we do not belong
to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not sleep as the others do, but let us remain awake and sober."

We are NOT like those who live in darkness. Therefore, the Day of His return will not overtake us like a thief.

Conclusion: we do not presently know the day but WE WILL KNOW THE DAY. No one will know in enough time to
write a book about it or to get rich off of it, but those who remain sober and awake, in the Lord, will not be surprised.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
So if Jesus is God why doesn't he know the time of the rapture?

The Word per John 1:1-3 knows all things, but the flesh that the Word
became per John 1:14 didn't know all things, viz: the Word is intrinsically
divine whereas the flesh that the Word became wasn't intrinsically divine,
rather, it was intrinsically human; and to my knowledge it still is.

BTW: It amazes me sometimes the number of Christians I encounter online
unaware that the Word is binary, i.e. he exists as an eternal being and a
created being simultaneously, viz: as a spirit being and a material being
both at the same time.
_

williamjordan

Feb 18, 2015
It may be of some use to chew over Zechariah (specifically, 14:1-7), which got mentioned over in another thread, a discussion I will not drag onto this thread.

“Behold, a day is coming for the Lord when the spoil taken from you will be divided among you. For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city will be captured, the houses plundered, the women ravished and half of the city exiled, but the rest of the people will not be cut off from the city. Then the Lord will go forth and fight against those nations, as when He fights on a day of battle. In that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the East; and the Mount of Olives will be split in its middle from East to West by a very large valley, so that half of the mountain will move toward the North and the other half toward the South. You will flee by the valley of My mountains, for the valley of the mountains will reach to Azel; yes, you will flee just as you fled before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord, my God, will come, and all the holy ones with Him! In that day there will be no light; the luminaries will dwindle. For it will be a unique day which is known to the Lord, neither day nor night, but it will come about that at evening time there will be light.” (Zechariah 14:1-7)
Here the day of the Lord is referenced (the second coming of Christ). We are told YHWH will stand on the Mount of Olives and split it upon His advent (v. 4), and that this Lord’s day is known to Him (v. 7). This correspond with Acts 1:11-12, where it is Jesus which stands on the Mount of Olives:
“They also said, ‘Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.’ Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey away” (Acts 1:11-12).
This demonstrates that there is something going on in Matthew 24:36 that is quite a bit technical and gritty, which is rooted in the incarnation. According to the account in Zechariah, the Lord that is coming does know the "unique day."

Not to mention what is also stated thirteen chapters earlier in the Book of Matthew:
“All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.” (Matthew 11:27)
Jesus says, no one knows the Son except the Father. And no one knows the Father except the Son. Jesus’ knowledge of the Father is reciprocal. The same way the Father knows the Son, the Son knows the Father. And no one is qualified, or can know Jesus except the Father. Who does Jesus think He is? No one is able to know the Son; only the Father has that ability and capacity. Only someone who is incomprehensible by nature, is beyond the ability of another to know, which is why only God can know, because the Father has a divine mind and can comprehend the incomprehensible. The Father knows the Son inside and out — knowing every thought and tittle He’s had, have, and will have — and Jesus says He knows the Father in that exact same way, which is why He alone is qualified to make the Father known. Not only does Jesus claim to have an omniscient mind (which is required to know the Father truly as He is), but that He is also incomprehensible (for only the Father can know the Son). Even long before Jesus speaks the words in Matthew 24:36, Jesus claims to be the incomprehensible, omniscient Son, who knows the Father to the same degree and extent that the Father knows the Son, and therefore, is equal to the Father in understanding, wisdom, and knowledge.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Why do we christians say Jesus is God himself?
Because the Bible’s Old Testament says God would one day come and dwell
Among the people and preach salvetion to them . And the New Testament says he’s come now believe in him

The bibles story is all about this

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, And they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This is talking about Jesus

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, ( Jesus ) justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭

that’s why Christian’s identify Jesus as the lord and creator because he came o to this world as one of us and then returned to glory after he is the invisible God showing himself in our form of flesh and blood it’s the biblical story from a high view god came to save his beloved creation from sin and death …..but who would believe the gospel ?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The problem is that the full titles aren't being used.

God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Each can also be called God on their own.

So there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is God, but Jesus is not God the Father because Jesus is God the Son.
Who is this ?

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. …. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Is this theee gods theee people ? Or is it talking about God who created all things and his spirit moved and he himself spoke a word ?

Is this three people creating or just one God with a spirit who speaks ?

“For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So you have God in heaven who speaks a word filled with the power of his spirit who’s Jesus ?

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1-4, 10, 14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The father his word and his spirit. The word became flesh and dwelt among us as of the glory of the only begotten then he returned to his eternal glory so we could o ow the true God

Jesus is God manifest in the flesh in order to save us ….

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, ( that’s who Jesus is the one god in the flesh ) )justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

There is nothing but one God our God has a holy spirit and he has always communicated it’s mankind by his word

The father the son and the holyspirit is one person his name is Jesus and he is the highest authority in heaven or earth because he is the full manifestation of God in one body

The father and son message is about teaching mankind who they are made to be the children of God

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
sin the Old Testament HE is in heaven he hasn’t yet come in the flesh to save mankind but he’s telling them he’s going to later like this

He would speak through prophets at times like

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭45:5‬ ‭

“Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his ( Israel’s ) redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭44:6‬ ‭

“Bring forth the blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it? I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:8-11, 13, 15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

And then he also was telling them his plan to redeem them

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.( this son who would be born in the flesh he’s not only the prince ( son ) he’s the father , the wonderful counsellor , the ruler the mighty God)

Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:6-8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We tend to find it hard to grasp God can be in heaven and on ear th at the same time even as one aspect is subjected by the flesh to the aspect on heaven that cannot be made subject to temptation but it is t two seperwte beings it is Gods holt spirit of power bringing to pass his words it is God being born as a man in order to become our intercessor because there was no man worthy so the lord himself puts garments on and becomes the man worthy

“Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment. And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; ( this is not a different person it’s a different aspect of God a different limb of the same body ) and his righteousness, it sustained him. For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; ( his he his thisnis speaking of God as a person now ) and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke. So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD. As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭59:15-17, 19-21‬ ‭

Jesus was speaking before he was born as a man about when he would be later

after he died on the cross as a perfect man he returned to the tfullness of his glory in heaven he isn’t a different person he is God come to save us jehovah come to save the redeeming God alone come to redeem mankind failed so he did it himself now offers it to believers the glory of Jesus the son

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Its I believe one of those things no one truly understands. We still don't fully understand what it means to be made in His image :) Christ was fully man yet He said if you have seen me you have seen the Father and He was just man :)

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
The father the son and the holyspirit is one person his name is Jesus and he is the highest authority in heaven or earth because he is the full manifestation of God in one body

Wrong. That is anti-Trinitarian false doctrine. God the Son is NOT God the Father.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018

It has to do with the Jewish wedding rituals where the son did not know when his father would say the home was finished and to go get the bride.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Wrong. That is anti-Trinitarian false doctrine. God the Son is NOT God the Father.
How many gods do you worship ?

My God is Jesus who created us and everything we see. Then later was born in the flesh as a man and told us his name , then promised to return in the end of the world to gather his people into his eternal kingdom but ….that’s what scripture says though is why if that’s some sort of heresy lol I’ll own it because hate the truth “God “ is an impersonal view of Jesus before his birh as a man , jesus , is God made flesh ( the son ) he’s called the son of God because that’s what man is made to actually be like Adam

“which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭3:38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Man is the children of God jesus became one of the children

It’s like some won’t read what’s there but then it’s a heresy …because they won’t accept what’s actually there hard place to discuss anything deep

“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; ( god became the son ) that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. ( to save mankind from death )

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.( the man Jesus is now high priest in heaven a perfect man tomintercede ) For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭2:14-15, 17-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“but this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself. For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭7:24-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

you don’t understand Jesus the son is in. I say seperate from God the father one is expressed on earth in the flesh to mankind the other in heaven that Nono e could ever have known otherwise

jesus came from heaven and returned to heaven because he is the word of God who is one with the fsther and spirit it’s really a heresy to claim Jesus is seperate from God is what I would say

jesus is God

This is what the son said before he left

“And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
If this is helpful,
These 3 are 1
Ice = water
Vapour = water
Water = water

These 3 are 1
God is a spirit
Jesus is God manifest in flesh
His Holy Spirit, the comforter.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Jesus, while in the flesh on earth, did not know the timing of His return. There is no biblical reason to think He still doesn’t.

williamjordan

Feb 18, 2015
I want to throw an interesting wrench into things. You can thank me later! And if I deserve a good pummeling, then please do so... on both cheeks. That said, let me share with some additional thoughts:

I do not think for a moment that Matt. 24:36 or Mark 13:32 is really an onjection to the Son knowing the day or hour. Rather, there is a hidden presupposition that the Spirit of God does not know the day or hour. Some Unitarians will point to the fact that in neither account (Matt. 24:36 or Mark 13:32) exclusively states, "only the Father knows." What does "only the Father" mean? And does this exclude also the Spirit?

1 Cor. 2:10-11 deals directly with the knowledge possessed by the Spirit,

"God has revealed these to us by the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the things of a man except the man's spirit within him? So too, no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10-11)
Paul says that just as a man's spirit knows "the things of a man," so God's Spirit knows "the things of God." Since God knows all things, so too the Spirit of God knows all things.

Perhaps Jesus' limitation is associated by the fact that He was and is man, and relies on the Holy Spirit for knowledge. But to say He doesn't know the day or hour seems to suggest (at least to me) that the Spirit of God also does not know. Is Christ not the harbringer of the Spirit?

And I don't think objecting to the Spirit's personhood will really help, because such an objection presupposes the personhood of the Spirit. In other words, the non-Trinitarian conceeds the personhood of the Spirit for the sake of his argument: "If the Spirit is a person, He cannot be God, because God knows all things, but there is something the Spirit doesn't know." Thus, in accepting the presupposition, the non-Trinitarian cannot abandon that presupposition to attack the Trinitarian.

Within the context of the original argument, 1 Corinthians 2:10-11 provides direct Scriptural evidence that the Spirit's knowledge is no more limited than is God's. It is a clear statement about what the Spirit knows. If we are to follow sound exegetical principles, we must allow this verse to inform our understanding of Mark 13:32. Since Jesus is not addressing the Spirit in this passage, and since Scripture provides clear evidence that the Spirit's knowledge is not limited in any way, we may confidently say that Mark 13:32 in no way undermines the doctrine of the Deity of the Holy Spirit, but is perhaps directly associated with (in some sense), Christ's limitations.

Couple all this with what was stated in my prior Post #28.