Can We All Find our Soulmate Somewhere In Between Dodging Zombies at Halloween and Fruitcake at Christmas?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
Corn syrup is probably the most destructive thing ever devised to destroy our bodies. BUT, candy tastes good, therefore, since the main purpose of Halloween seems to be to collect as much loot (candy) as possible before the porch lights turn off, and because candy tastes good, I think it's a wonderful evening, subjectively speaking.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Pipp is a fruitcake. lol It will be pretty easy to dodge her during the Holidays.

Thanksgiving is less controversial. Anyone have any reason not to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who've been around the forum for a while, you'll know that just about every year, we get threads asking whether it's evil to celebrate Halloween and Christmas.

We hadn't seen any yet this year, but fortunately, someone was kind enough to dig up an old thread just in time!

https://christianchat.com/christian...t-evil-should-christians-celebrate-it.207211/

The general consensus here in Singles seems to go something like this (I just grabbed the first two answers from this old thread -- feel free to peruse the rest there):

And another member kindly reminded us that:

And so, I figured, why not roll all 3 together and knock out 3 of the most cyclical and widely debated subjects on the forum all in one thread!!!

So everyone...

Do YOU think you'll find your soulmate somewhere in between the Zombie Apocalypse and trying to avoid the Christmas Crusades?!

(This thread is just for fun and laughs -- I know lots of people who are struggling today, aside from it being a Monday, so please bless us with your most creative/funny answers if you dare!) :)
Speaking of Halloween... I noticed you referenced I film I was found of, that might consider in the horror genre, though it's technically labeled 'crime drama'. That would be the reference your made to the "hanging car air fresheners" scene.

The scene after that, where Brad Pitt talks to the doctor who examined the slot victim makes me laugh now cause it's so over-the-top dramatized and something a doctor wouldn't say, "Even if his brain were not mush, which it is, he chewed off his own tongue long ago. Detective, he'd die of shock right now if you were to shine a flashlight in his eyes. He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take... and he still has hell to look forward to. Good night."

Of course, the horror genre is the same as all the others in that there's mostly garbage, but there's also some excellent films, and has some of the clearest lines of good triumphing over evil. I was a horror film aficionado from birth, which I don't think you really choose to be. I don't watch a lot anymore. But your reference made me wonder if you might have been a horror film fan?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Corn syrup is probably the most destructive thing ever devised to destroy our bodies.
Agreed... it's right up there with "vegetable" oil.

I am thankful that I'm busy every October 31st with a volunteer activity and can ignore most of the lunacy that evening. :cool:

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I think I must be the only person on earth who loves fruitcake (not just likes, but LOVES, and dang it, I'm proud of it!!) :cool::geek::oops:

Feel free to pass along all your very UNloved fruitcakes over this way -- and since they always seem to have quite a bit of heft, you'll be getting in a good workout as you hurl, haul, and handle them during packing.
I love fruitcake too and according to SOMEONE I won't mention by name I also am a fruitcake...therefore I love myself ♡

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Pipp is a fruitcake. lol It will be pretty easy to dodge her during the Holidays.

Thanksgiving is less controversial. Anyone have any reason not to celebrate Thanksgiving?
You're asking for it bud...
I don't know what IT is... but you're asking for it...

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Speaking of Halloween... I noticed you referenced I film I was found of, that might consider in the horror genre, though it's technically labeled 'crime drama'. That would be the reference your made to the "hanging car air fresheners" scene.

The scene after that, where Brad Pitt talks to the doctor who examined the slot victim makes me laugh now cause it's so over-the-top dramatized and something a doctor wouldn't say, "Even if his brain were not mush, which it is, he chewed off his own tongue long ago. Detective, he'd die of shock right now if you were to shine a flashlight in his eyes. He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take... and he still has hell to look forward to. Good night."

Of course, the horror genre is the same as all the others in that there's mostly garbage, but there's also some excellent films, and has some of the clearest lines of good triumphing over evil. I was a horror film aficionado from birth, which I don't think you really choose to be. I don't watch a lot anymore. But your reference made me wonder if you might have been a horror film fan?
Sorry Sculpt, way off in your analysis, lol.

I can't stand horror movies, even the trailers freak me out. The ones with portrayals of demons make me my spirit especially uneasy.

I don't judge anyone for watching them, but I steer clear, through I do read the Wiki summaries if something sounds interesting.

I do, however, find psychological suspense movies fascinating, and that's where I classify the movie Seven and others like the Silence of the Lambs, because I find the real horror to be human depravity.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Some fruitcakes are covered in Marzipan. Marzipan! How can you beat Marzipan as a cake topping???

German Christmas Stollen is a fruit bread that often contains marzipan. Again, super yum!

Panettone is a Christmas fruit cake from Italy. No Marzipan, but still quite lovely.

The latter two are not as dense in fruit as how North Americans make fruit cakes.
I've tried stollen and panettone. Good stuff. I'd eat that every day.

Actually fruitcake is a wonderful holiday treat. You soak the dried fruit in dark rum, (don't skip this step), then after the cake has cooled, wrap it tightly in cheesecloth soaked in medium sherry or triple sec. Happy Holidays🥳 (recipe from World's Best Fruitcake')lol.
Soaked in all that liquor, no wonder people are happy eating it. :p

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020

A spoiled brat would probably fail to recognize the spirit of Thanksgiving and hence not be celebrating it, unless, of course, said spoiled brat was a Thanksgiving freeloader.😁

notmyown

May 26, 2016
I think I must be the only person on earth who loves fruitcake (not just likes, but LOVES, and dang it, I'm proud of it!!) :cool::geek::oops:

Feel free to pass along all your very UNloved fruitcakes over this way -- and since they always seem to have quite a bit of heft, you'll be getting in a good workout as you hurl, haul, and handle them during packing.
oh, fruitcake is yummy! (not the store bought kind... you may have those :p)

but if you make it, you decide which spices and dried fruits and nuts you like. it's wonderful! :)

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
You're asking for it bud...
I don't know what IT is... but you're asking for it...
I was thinking bar-b-que llama chops and all the fixings for Thanksgiving.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Is there a thanksreceiving day?

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
[QUOTE="seoulsearch, post: 5162660, member: 20130"I do, however, find psychological suspense movies fascinating, and that's where I classify the movie Seven and others like the Silence of the Lambs, because I find the real horror to be human depravity.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of psychological suspense... I hear GOP candidate Ramaswamy wants to bring back "mental asylums" sweeping up most of the mentally ill homeless folk through court ordered involuntary commitment. One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest is said to have helped close them all. What do you think?

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Thanksgiving is less controversial. Anyone have any reason not to celebrate Thanksgiving?[/QUOTE]
I was thinking bar-b-que llama chops and all the fixings for Thanksgiving.
playing this song for theme music;

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who've been around the forum for a while, you'll know that just about every year, we get threads asking whether it's evil to celebrate Halloween and Christmas.

We hadn't seen any yet this year, but fortunately, someone was kind enough to dig up an old thread just in time!

https://christianchat.com/christian...t-evil-should-christians-celebrate-it.207211/

The general consensus here in Singles seems to go something like this (I just grabbed the first two answers from this old thread -- feel free to peruse the rest there):

And another member kindly reminded us that:

And so, I figured, why not roll all 3 together and knock out 3 of the most cyclical and widely debated subjects on the forum all in one thread!!!

So everyone...

Do YOU think you'll find your soulmate somewhere in between the Zombie Apocalypse and trying to avoid the Christmas Crusades?!

(This thread is just for fun and laughs -- I know lots of people who are struggling today, aside from it being a Monday, so please bless us with your most creative/funny answers if you dare!) :)
I have to speak my mind here. Celebrating Halloween is pure evil. In my holy opinion it’s just a front for mean spirited people to get an excuse for throwing eggs at people’s windows. I can literally hear them talking about how they’ll only be visiting people they know don’t have no candy just to get to throw eggs.😁😂

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
[QUOTE="seoulsearch, post: 5162660, member: 20130"I do, however, find psychological suspense movies fascinating, and that's where I classify the movie Seven and others like the Silence of the Lambs, because I find the real horror to be human depravity.
Speaking of psychological suspense... I hear GOP candidate Ramaswamy wants to bring back "mental asylums" sweeping up most of the mentally ill homeless folk through court ordered involuntary commitment. One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest is said to have helped close them all. What do you think?
He's suggested bringing back mental institutions, but it's not high on his agenda. And I imagine if a better solution could be found that keeps mentally ill people from wandering the streets homeless and desperate ( it's estimated that 25 percent of homeless people are severely mentally ill), he'd be all for that. It's not good for the country or the rest of the people who live in it to have severely mentally unstable people without decent care. It's not good for the country either to be able to effectively imprison people for unpopular beliefs by calling them crazy, nor would it be good to have no oversight or accountability of any such institutions and how they treat people.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
He's suggested bringing back mental institutions, but it's not high on his agenda. And I imagine if a better solution could be found that keeps mentally ill people from wandering the streets homeless and desperate ( it's estimated that 25 percent of homeless people are severely mentally ill), he'd be all for that. It's not good for the country or the rest of the people who live in it to have severely mentally unstable people without decent care. It's not good for the country either to be able to effectively imprison people for unpopular beliefs by calling them crazy, nor would it be good to have no oversight or accountability of any such institutions and how they treat people.
Agreed, surely there must be a better way than leaving people with serious mental illnesses on the street.

It's a tough issue. I was reading about the history of the institutions, and the critics. Currently the general standard for involuntary institution is being a danger to others or oneself, which is a very high standard. Per some of the most influential critics finding a lower standard than that... one of determining someone is mentally ill to the level they should be involuntarily instituted is very difficult, and also a scary slippery slope of civil rights.