career change

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
Is anybody else in the process of a career change?

N

NoNameMcgee

kind of

im saving up right now for probably a few more months

then id like to try out something new for awhile since i know i could always come back to any of the other fields ive worked in

but nothings set in stone yet

Aug 2, 2009
I changed careers twice. The first time was both good and bad... I got into a field that I had always secretly wanted to work in (healthcare), but the company I worked for was not a good fit for me at all. The jury is still out on the second change.... :rolleyes:

What field are you thinking of going into?

Feb 7, 2015
The first time my salary went over 100k was because of an unorthodox career change.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Being a woman seems to mean an endless change of jobs. I went from medical social worker to mom. I had to learn to become a volunteer speech therapist, short order cook and economist. As my son got older I flexed into the art work and created jewelry, rugs and pine needle baskets. As my son got older I was downsized from my 18 year marriage. Suddenly I needed to sell my home and found a small place with a decor and condition reminiscent of early modern Beirut. I learned to become my own contractor, handyman, furniture restoration expert and hard core budgeter. I took in homestay students and became a full time cook, cleaner and mom to many more. To expand the budget I started writing for social media and becoming a background extra for TV and movies. Shortly after that I ended up with my first movie role. I was now taking acting classes, writing monologues and even doing stand up comedy (once). What am I doing now? Most of the above and reselling.
This is a really long winded way of saying that life is constantly in motion and we need to adapt and change. It is normal. Changing careers, jobs or locations allows us to stretch and grow. Even the bad experiences add layers of richness to who you are and what you have to offer. Sometimes it is a case of "God comforting us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others in their troubles" (paraphrase), and sometimes we find new possibilities.
I am a bit of an introvert so I'd have loved a life with a gentleman who values home life, humour and being part of our local church. I find that with God when we timidly tell him we are willing to put a toe out out front door he pushes us outside in our underwear. As my life changes I will have to revision myself yet again, so yes I am again at a crossroads.
In my life I could have never imagined I'd find myself in my current life but I find comfort that many of the Old Testament characters felt the same.
The other day I read this "My life didn't turn out the way I planned. And that is OK". Yes. This.
Go with the adventure. No promises as to how it will turn out but it is your journey. Best of luck.

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
I Have have been in the healthcare field since April 2004. That is all I know but know I am going into retail. I knew it was time for a change a couple of years ago.

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you for the advice. God bless you. God out it on my heart a while ago.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
God bless you on your career change journey :)

Aug 2, 2009
I Have have been in the healthcare field since April 2004. That is all I know but know I am going into retail. I knew it was time for a change a couple of years ago.
Yea I know the healthcare industry has gotten more difficult due to all the changes that occurred in the last few years. I wish you the best in your new career.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I am, and have been before. It always needs going out of our comfort zones, esp when the Lord leads in something that seems so 'unfamiliar.'

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
Yes I had gotten too comfortable with what I knew for years. I lost the desire to do it, I felt it in my spirit. Now I am walking by faith and depending on God. I feel soo free.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
That is so good to hear, hhm!

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
kind of

im saving up right now for probably a few more months

then id like to try out something new for awhile since i know i could always come back to any of the other fields ive worked in

but nothings set in stone yet
Good luck, i hope you follow your heart.

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you very much. I am trusting God!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Being a woman seems to mean an endless change of jobs. I went from medical social worker to mom. I had to learn to become a volunteer speech therapist, short order cook and economist. As my son got older I flexed into the art work and created jewelry, rugs and pine needle baskets. As my son got older I was downsized from my 18 year marriage. Suddenly I needed to sell my home and found a small place with a decor and condition reminiscent of early modern Beirut. I learned to become my own contractor, handyman, furniture restoration expert and hard core budgeter. I took in homestay students and became a full time cook, cleaner and mom to many more. To expand the budget I started writing for social media and becoming a background extra for TV and movies. Shortly after that I ended up with my first movie role. I was now taking acting classes, writing monologues and even doing stand up comedy (once). What am I doing now? Most of the above and reselling.
This is a really long winded way of saying that life is constantly in motion and we need to adapt and change. It is normal. Changing careers, jobs or locations allows us to stretch and grow. Even the bad experiences add layers of richness to who you are and what you have to offer. Sometimes it is a case of "God comforting us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others in their troubles" (paraphrase), and sometimes we find new possibilities.
I am a bit of an introvert so I'd have loved a life with a gentleman who values home life, humour and being part of our local church. I find that with God when we timidly tell him we are willing to put a toe out out front door he pushes us outside in our underwear. As my life changes I will have to revision myself yet again, so yes I am again at a crossroads.
In my life I could have never imagined I'd find myself in my current life but I find comfort that many of the Old Testament characters felt the same.
The other day I read this "My life didn't turn out the way I planned. And that is OK". Yes. This.
Go with the adventure. No promises as to how it will turn out but it is your journey. Best of luck.
You have a most impressive resume.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Yes I had gotten too comfortable with what I knew for years. I lost the desire to do it, I felt it in my spirit. Now I am walking by faith and depending on God. I feel soo free.
There really is a comfort in doing what you do for so long. Knowing where everything is and where it goes. It's like you could shake a snow globe and know where each flake would fall. There's a song that sings of that convenient place that's cool not cold and warm not hot like the summers in Tuscany, winters in Morocco. A place between here and heaven that warns of the consequence of comfort. The kind of comfort that breeds mediocrity.

So it sounds like God gave you a good kick in your collective complacency. I think that's a miracle. God turns tables, you know.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The only career change I ever seriously considered was to enter the alternative health care field, but that was also during the time when the Canadian government was considering banning Vitamin C from store shelves because apparently we are incapable of determining if we should be taking it or not, since we are not qualified to diagnose ourselves, according to the powers that be.

They (the government) were going to make it available by prescription only, adding a further tax on our already over-burdened health care system, and the allotted dosage was to be 5 mg. I collected over seventy signatures to block their stupid plan, which thankfully never went through, but it did make me think twice about going into that as a profession.

That was probably about thirty years ago. I have been at my current job for thirty five years, now, with no further plans to seek employment elsewhere. Being so long at one job gives one some seniority, for whatever that is worth. I have had only three jobs in the last forty one years (it will be forty two years when I turn 63 in a few months :)), all in the same industry. When I started, it was the only thing I knew I wanted to do :D I do like my job, quite a bit as far as jobs go, actually, and it suits me :eek:

Daylilies

Apr 11, 2017
Is anybody else in the process of a career change?
I'm working on my career change currently - it involved going back to school for me - and have loved every minute of it! It took a lot of time and prayer to decide to make the change, but I have honestly been given nothing but positive support since making the change. I pray that it will be the same way for you! :)