Catholic Heresy (for the record)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NoFallTooFar

Thank God for the reformation!

That's my two cents.
Haha, I know right? I watched the movie "Luther" the other day, it was truly awesome.

The only problem I have with people saying something is "Heresy" is.. is it heresy because it goes against man made doctrines, or against scriptural doctrines?

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
Not to protestants we're not. And therein lies the crux of the problem.
Wel, when I was still a Protestant I believed Catholics to be Christian. Mostly. That said, there is a lot of confusion out there amongst our Protestant brethren as to what we do really believe. Just look at posts which espouse the mistaken belief we re-sacrifice Jesus through the celebration of the Holy Eucharist.

N

NoFallTooFar

Wel, when I was still a Protestant I believed Catholics to be Christian. Mostly. That said, there is a lot of confusion out there amongst our Protestant brethren as to what we do really believe. Just look at posts which espouse the mistaken belief we re-sacrifice Jesus through the celebration of the Holy Eucharist.
as long as you realize, faith in Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then you're good..

now, why do Catholics pray to Mary or other saints? Because I see that absolutely nowhere in scripture..

I have a catholic friend who has a Saint Matthew necklace or something like that, and he said his priest told him if he prayed with it, it would protect him....

sounds like witchcraft to me.

N

NoFallTooFar

and also, the catholic church here does things where you can "Pray your loved ones out of Hell?" and you can give the priest money for your sins? I know not all catholic churches do that, but that's crazy..

dscherck

Aug 3, 2009
as long as you realize, faith in Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then you're good..

now, why do Catholics pray to Mary or other saints? Because I see that absolutely nowhere in scripture..

I have a catholic friend who has a Saint Matthew necklace or something like that, and he said his priest told him if he prayed with it, it would protect him....

If you're really interested I will be glad to provide you with links explaining the Catholic POV. There's quite a bit of Scriptural support. But I worry that would digress from the purpose of this thread. Still, if you're interested, here's one link for you: Scripture Catholic - SAINTS AND INTERCESSORY PRAYER

N

NoFallTooFar

If you're really interested I will be glad to provide you with links explaining the Catholic POV. There's quite a bit of Scriptural support. But I worry that would digress from the purpose of this thread. Still, if you're interested, here's one link for you: Scripture Catholic - SAINTS AND INTERCESSORY PRAYER
OK, I'll read it. :) I still don't see where we're instructed to pray to saints. Saints are just dead people, who were not sinless, who were accepted into Heaven because of the Grace of Christ. They're not deities. o.o as far as that goes, yes, that's heresy against scripture.

BTW, if you're in Christ, you ARE considered a saint.

A

Abraxas

Come on Catholics! Defend your creed, debate, that's what forums are for.

N

NoFallTooFar

lol. Debates are really healthy, only if we allow ourselves to say, "Hmm, I MIGHT be wrong." lol

dscherck

Aug 3, 2009
and also, the catholic church here does things where you can "Pray your loved ones out of Hell?" and you can give the priest money for your sins? I know not all catholic churches do that, but that's crazy..
If people are in Hell, they're pretty much stuck. Purgatory however is a different matter but outside the bonds of this thread I'd think.

That said, we don't pay priests for our sins. That's ridiculous and contrary to the faith. Now, when we ask a priest to offer a mass, some people may make a very small donation to their parish. Because after all, the laborer is due his wages (Luke 10:7). But that's not required at all and is just a common practice. The priest will be glad to offer the Mass on behalf of people even if they offer no money at all.

dscherck

Aug 3, 2009
We have to be careful, some of our most zealous defenders have been a bit TOO overzealous and get banned.

N

NoFallTooFar

If people are in Hell, they're pretty much stuck. Purgatory however is a different matter but outside the bonds of this thread I'd think.

That said, we don't pay priests for our sins. That's ridiculous and contrary to the faith. Now, when we ask a priest to offer a mass, some people may make a very small donation to their parish. Because after all, the laborer is due his wages (Luke 10:7). But that's not required at all and is just a common practice. The priest will be glad to offer the Mass on behalf of people even if they offer no money at all.
So whenever you sin, you're suppose to have Mass? Just wondering.

1still_waters

This is from part of the Rosary prayer.

They call Mary, holy Queen, our life, our hope.

Jesus is the only holy one. Jesus is our only life. Jesus is our only hope.

I post this very short example because Catholics are very good at taking an 'accusation', then saying, "Hey we don't do that'." : Then giving an explanation that puts a frogs hair distance between what they say they do and what they were accused of. In essensce if there is only a frogs hairs distance, you're still kinda doing it!

Anyways this serves as a clear example that they DO treat Mary how we claim they DO treat Mary. They can't wiggle outta this one with a frogs hair distance argument.

The Hail, Holy Queen: Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy! our life, our sweetness, and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley, of tears. Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus; O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

F

frankleespeaking

Right next to the lucky astrology mood watch, superstitions and witchcraft go hand in hand

N

NoFallTooFar

This is from part of the Rosary prayer.

They call Mary, holy Queen, our lfie, our hope.

Jesus is the only holy one. Jesus is our only life. Jesus is our only hope.

I post this very short example because Catholics are very good at taking an 'accusation', then saying, "Hey we don't do that'." : Then giving an explanation that puts a frogs hair distance between what they say they do and what they were accused of. In essensce if there is only a frogs hairs distance, you're still kinda doing it!

Anyways this serves as a clear example that they DO treat Mary how we claim they DO treat Mary. They can't wiggle outta this one with a frogs hair distance argument.

The Hail, Holy Queen: Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy! our life, our sweetness, and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley, of tears. Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus; O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

lol. Sounds like idolatry to me. /: idk.. I use to be catholic, and all I got out of it was a bunch of rules to do in order to go to Heaven..

N

NoFallTooFar

I'm heretical against heresy. lol.

IDK, I get called a heretic A LOT where I live, mostly because there are some pretty legalistic churches, who preach law... lol

1still_waters

From the Vatican itself...

link--->Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae

“Blessed Rosary of Mary, sweet chain linking us to God”

39. What has been said so far makes abundantly clear the richness of this traditional prayer, which has the simplicity of a popular devotion but also the theological depth of a prayer suited to those who feel the need for deeper contemplation.

The Church has always attributed particular efficacy to this prayer, entrusting to the Rosary, to its choral recitation and to its constant practice, the most difficult problems. At times when Christianity itself seemed under threat, its deliverance was attributed to the power of this prayer, and Our Lady of the Rosary was acclaimed as the one whose intercession brought salvation.

Today I willingly entrust to the power of this prayer – as I mentioned at the beginning – the cause of peace in the world and the cause of the family.

Peace

1still_waters

This is from Pope Pius XII

link--->Pope Pius XII on Mary's Queenship

He describes her as being 'praised' and 'reigning' over the entire world.

That's from a Pope! The person they claim is infallible.

From the earliest ages of the Catholic Church a Christian people, whether in time of triumph or more especially in time of crisis, has addressed prayers of petition and hymns of [b}praise[/b] and veneration to the Queen of Heaven. And never has that hope wavered which they placed in the Mother of the Divine King, Jesus Christ; nor has that faith ever failed by which we are taught that Mary, the Virgin Mother of God, reigns with a mother's solicitude over the entire world, just as she is crowned in heavenly blessedness with the glory of a Queen.

1still_waters

Again from Pope Pius XII. One they consider infallible.

"from her union with Christ she receives the royal right to dispose of the treasures of the Divine Redeemer's Kingdom;"

link-->Pope Pius XII on Mary's Queenship

Now the Catholics will try and semantic their way out of all I've posted. They'll put a rhetoical frog hairs distance between the accusation and what they claim they do. But in reality, we can see through the smokescreen, and we can see the frog hairs distance isn't the 100000 miles worth of distance they want us to see.