Chick Flicks vs. Manly Macho Muscle-y Movies.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

When Going to a Movie with a Date, I Would Want to Watch:

• What better way to bond than with a highly emotional romantic comedy or drama!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A horror movie at least gives me a chance at holding my date's hand--for security, of course!

• Sci-fi with plenty of special effects--it's like taking a date to another world (or planet!)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Martial arts--no better way to bond than over a good beating and hand-thrown weapons...

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Drama--gives us something to talk about after the movie! (Perhaps in Shakespearian language...)

• Historical/war/true story--I'd enjoy talking about history/events with my date.

• General comedy--nothing's better than a good laugh to break the ice!

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Action--crashes and explosions make me want to share my heart with someone! Literally!

• I would hope my date would agree to see the type of movie I chose.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I would ask my date what they wanted to see... even if it was something I DID NOT want to see.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It depends on whether it was a first date or not... (What would you do?)

• If we were in a relationship, I'd expect that we would trade off different types of movies we wanted

• If it were a film I REALLY didn't want to see, I would decline (and suggest another.)

• It doesn't matter what the movie is, as long as we get to spend time together.

• Other--I will explain in my post.

• Total voters
N

NukePooch

That's so mean...and yet I laughed anyway. hahaha
You know how many steaks you can get out of a hippo?

I don't either, but it might be just the thing to find out.

J

jen717

I am up for any type of movie except for blood and gore. I think when you are dating someone or in a relationship you should comprise a bit on this. It shouldn't be one sided all the time. It is always great when you want to see the same movie though. I myself would love to see Fast Five. I love the Fast and the Furious movies.

K

kiwi_OT

Speaking as a female I want to see both Water for Elephants and Furious Five.

I hate Robert Pattinson for his contribution to purile teen vamipre fantasies and I think the Fast and Furious series encourages speeding, crime and paying exorbitant amounts of money for car parts

BUT

Water for elephants was a fantastic book to read and I enjoy criticising movies made from books, and aside from my Pattinson hatred I do enjoy Reese Witherspoon as an actress.
And Id say yes to Furious Five because I like Vin Diesel and Paul Walker despite their awful movies and I like action movies involving cars (James Bond, The Transporter series etc).

Ive never had the trouble with my fiance re what to see at the movies because our tastes are usually the same. We're both pretty eclectic. We once saw 'Gnomeo & Juliet' and 'The Kings Speech' in the same week then saw the movie 'Paul' a few weeks later.

Apr 24, 2011
127 Hours, Slumdog Millionaire, The Social Network... These are movies I saw for the first time this year while doing some experimental dates, and we had a wonderful experience (home theater, public theaters aren't very comfortable in my opinion) and the movies were actually very excellent in terms of quality. I guess it's because he picked them all, and he's a huge film buff. I didn't know until later, but he'd seen them all before and was picking movies he knew for sure were really good, acts of kindness such as that humble me.

I seriously recommend Slumdog Millionaire, it blew me away. I would recommend 127 hours as it's an excellent film with deep emotion, but it's very painful and kind of disgusting. It's about the true story where a man goes hiking alone without telling anyone where he's going, and gets his arm pinned under a boulder, and has to amputate it with a pocket knife to free himself and survive... So watch it if you can stomach it, just be warned.

So I guess I'd say that I'm not against any type of genre, I'd just like it to be of good quality and have some depth to it.

K

kiwi_OT

I'd watch anything out of my comfort zone, although I'd have my fingers crossed she wouldn't be into Zombies or Twilight :eek:

Personally on a date I could go for a romantic film....for obvious reasons, although there are rarely any good ones.
If I were choosing just for me, which I wouldn't be on a date but I'd prefer a historical film like The Kings Speech...although I haven't seen that one yet, I like those films because in the broad strokes they are true and not some made up stuff designed to appeal to certain traits but are actually nowhere close to realistic and yet fall into the non-fiction category.

The added plus is that historical films are often quite inspiring or at the least thought provoking, and it'd be nice to be able to have an intelligent discussion about the film afterwards that went beyond how the gilr in question just loves that vampire guy from Twilight. :rolleyes:
It is a total CRIME that you don't have a girlfriend.

T

thimsrebma

okay so I almost barfed when I read this choice

"It doesn't matter what the movie is, as long as we get to spend time together."

Seriously Seoul? Seriously? :)

That is so corny. If you really want to spend time together do something that allows you to be able to talk. Wasting money to go to the movies, PUH LEEZ!

Okay now that that's over. I think I chose watch something you both wanna see. I think its dumb to go to the movies and see something you are totally not interested in. I would likely fall asleep. Its d, its boring then my date would be mad at me. I am not gonna letrk him pay $10 for me to take a nap that's outrageous. Nor do I want him falling asleep on some girlie movie. I dont like girlie mivies myself. I only watch them every few months when I am having a girlie day. I will watch several of them and eat ice cream on a saturday morning into the afternoon.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
okay so I almost barfed when I read this choice

"It doesn't matter what the movie is, as long as we get to spend time together."

Seriously Seoul? Seriously? :)

That is so corny. If you really want to spend time together do something that allows you to be able to talk. Wasting money to go to the movies, PUH LEEZ!
Alas, Thim, if it's someone I really want to get to know, talk to, or spend time with, yes, I will shell out the money and go spend time with that person :). It's just an opinion, but I've sacrificed a lot more than $9 to spend time with a person I wanted to spend time with--and of course, it doesn't have to be a movie, it could just be going for a walk...

I guess in this case, I was thinking of someone you'd maybe known for a little while or already had a relationship with--if that person wanted to go see something in particular and it was important to them, I wouldn't hesitate at all. ;)

I wrote the book on corny... or at least, am a certified contributor. :D

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
It really depends on the Girly movie we're watching too.

I saw a movie on Lifetime Movie Channel (Lemon) and it was a feel good guy bashing movie.

It was about a little girl and her abusive father and his abusive friends. The women that were stuck with those guys and how real men should be incredibly harmless and sensitive. Don't get me wrong the bad guy was really bad. He beat their daughter and then later in the movie when he got kicked out he came back and raped her.

And then the passive, Charming, but incredibly dumb local gardener with a speech impediment wins the mother's heart cause he's "so nice"

It reminded me of that movie where Natalie Portman has a baby in Walmart.

Those kind of movies are completely and utterly worthless

But if its like 40 first dates or My best friend's Wedding or Pretty Woman or Breakfast at Tiffany's, then its almost tolerable.

There are some good Chick Flicks like, Pride & Prejudice or even better the Bollywood version Bride & Prejudice. The Notebook was good, So was Wall-E. More of those I can do anytime.

R

Rissa77

I saw a movie on Lifetime Movie Channel (Lemon) and it was a feel good guy bashing movie.
....The women that were stuck with those guys and how real men should be incredibly harmless and sensitive....

And then the passive, Charming, but incredibly dumb local gardener with a speech impediment wins the mother's heart cause he's "so nice"
I was reading Wild At Heart a while back and John Eldridge comments on this predicament, about how the status quo for men seems to be "nice", like they're supposed to be passive imbeciles that don't lead, don't fight for what's right or for what they want, and don't seem alive. He devoted his book to showing what real Christian men are supposed to be and "nice" isn't it. Most chick flicks do a good job at keeping to the status quo.

J

Jullianna

I agree, Rissa. I don't like movies where the men are milktoast. Some of my all time fav "chick flicks" that don't do that:

Message in a Bottle
The Lake House
The Notebook
Pretty Woman
An Affair to Remember
Legends of the Fall
A Room with a View
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (yes..I know it's corny, but I still think it's a fun movie :) )
Sweet Home Alabama
Serendipity

Can't resist watching any of these when they're on :)