Christ kept the Law of Moses, so....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Some say they ALL apply so that they can say that non apply, and Some say 9 apply, some say only the 2 love priciples apply.

The word "Law" is what most dissagrements are over. What the law means.

i could go through them all but,.... the Law Of God,.... The Law of the Lord,.... The Law Of Moses,.... the law of Liberty,... the law of commandments contained in ordinances; Are just a few.

God is a resonable God and a God of Order. Sin is the enemy and SIN is the transgression of the law. But which law?

The law of love is what all other laws and principles hang on.

Gen 13 tells us that "the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord." Since sin is violating God's law, the people of Sodom could not have been punished for being wicked and sinful if no law condemned what they were doing. We must conclude, therefore, that God had already made available the knowledge of what is sinful.
Gen 20:3-9 and 39:7-9 describe adultery as "a great sin" and a "sin against God." Adultery breaks the Seventh Commandment.
In Gen 3:6-17, God punishes Adam and Eve for their coveting and stealing—breaking the Tenth and Eighth Commandments. They also dishonored Him as their parent, violating the Fifth Commandment.
In Gen 4:9-12, God punishes Cain for murder and lying—violations of the Sixth and Ninth Commandments.

Do you think God has changed what sin is?
Do you think God wants us to keep the law today?

Which law is Paul talking about in Romans 3:31?
walk in the Spirit.

Oct 31, 2015
So, the Sabbath is not holy? Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day. That's the Commandment. And for the record, it was not ordained by Moses. It was given to Moses by God. The way it was observed by the Jews may be different. We are saved by God's grace. But I'm firm on what I shared before.

Does it mean that it's okay for you to kill? To commit adultery? To steal, etc just because we're saved by Grace? No, you don't get a free pass to do those things and also say that you're saved by God's Grace if that's what you're implying by your reply.

Nothing God gave is without purpose. The commandments are to be kept by us. Failing to do so does not mean death if we believe in Jesus. That's where God's sacrifice on the Cross comes in for us. But it is not to be taken for granted. I'm not sure what you mean by what you just said. If you will explain, I'll listen. You see I'm more direct. I don't do cryptic talk.

I never said anything about human beings punishing others because of religious sanctions. I'm talking about doing what pleases God. What God wants. And God would definitely desire that His children obey his commandments. Simply that's what I meant.
The law of Moses was abolished at the cross.

We are to obey Christ and His commandments that are written on our heart.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
Colossians 1:16-17

Oct 31, 2015
thank you for explaining that. does that mean you acknowledge that Psalm 119 is the Son's prayer to live and be raised from the dead because of His obedience to the law in giving His life to save us?
Please acknowledge that you believe Jesus Christ is Lord; the Lord God, YHWH.

Oct 31, 2015
thank you for explaining that. does that mean you acknowledge that Psalm 119 is the Son's prayer to live and be raised from the dead because of His obedience to the law in giving His life to save us?
Why would Jesus Christ be under the law of Moses, since He is High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek, of whom Levi paid tithes?

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, called by God as High Priest “according to the order of Melchizedek,” of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. Hebrews 5:9-11

You err not knowing the scriptures.

JPT

Jan 29, 2023
Jesus of Nazareth was STRICTLY under the Law of Moses. Then He NULLIFIED it at the cross. The New Covenant went into effect the day Christ died. End of story.
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy..." Matthew 5:17a

No "NULLIFIED" Law. Sorry.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy..." Matthew 5:17a

The law condemns you where you stand.

Its not nullified you are correct.

It is there to point you to Christ
Keep trying to get to God through the law. You will suffer the curse Jesus took in your place

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why don't you read and study the epistle to the Hebrews? And in 2 Corinthians 3 the Law of Moses is said to be "abolished". That is even more drastic than nullified.

Feb 20, 2021
I've heard other sincere believers say that since Jesus kept the Laws of Moses we should keep them or at least try and somehow that is following Him. Is this what Jesus was talking about in these passages?

Mathew 5:17-20 Jesus said, Do not think that I came to destroy the law and the prophets. No , I have not come to destroy them , but to fulfil them... whoever breaks the least of these commandment , and teaches men so, he will be called the least in the kingdom....

Mathew 5 verse 20 For I(JESUS) say to you, unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the scribes and the pharisees, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

In verse 17, Jesus said we're teach and do the law of Moses to be great in the kingdom and in verse 20 Jesus said unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the Law you'll in no case enter the kingdom of heaven.
Are we to do both, keep the Law of Moses like Jesus, and keep Jesus words in red . Would that be exceeding the scribes and pharisees rightousness?
The law was the citation to man of his error.

The error flies in the face of the purpose and the nature of creation.

Getting back to that place of holiness is not a human possibility.

Since there are mentionings about the Ten Commandments in the Old Testament, it was to leave the door open for Jesus to fulfill it all.

The law is the blueprint of Creation and not a philosophy for perfect people.

Jesus has never had the ability to sin, so he never offended creation at any point. Jesus never offended the law.

When man realizes the fact that he is doomed by the law he is able then to obey the Father and be saved. Those who do not take this route are the ones Jesus said "Lord, Lord" to him, but he never knew them.

It is a noble thought, but if we really want to stop offending creation we need to become the new Adam in Christ.

Feb 20, 2021
Sincerity is no guarantee for Truth.

There are some who like to put themselves under the law for the feeling of self-righteousness…our righteousness was made unto us through Christ

The gospels (the law), was written for Israel …

Romans 1-8 is a doctrinal epistle written directly to us… the Church of God, and goes through what was made unto us by Jesus Christ.
You are quite right, but the law is eternal in that it is the blueprint followed for Creation.

There are unspoken laws: How our heart beats, the seasons, the instincts of the animals. Everything altogether is the eternal law.

The part that pertains to man is his moral failure. This chapter was written in stone for a future Jesus to come and receive all the blessings by never offending any part of Creation or the law----especially the part of being condemned if you are a sinner.

Jesus was a sinner in the eyes of God as part of the plan for man's imputed righteousness and saving. Like reading a book about mobsters, when we close the cover of that book and put it on the night stand we can sigh in relief that it sure isn't written about ourselves. A book on the error of our life can also be closed, as all that wrong never happened to us, but to Jesus when he took responsibility and credit for all of it as a hero.

It is said at the end of Romans 4 that Jesus was PERMITTED to rise from the grave because of our saving. Think about that: Because of our salvation Jesus was saved. It does follow that should anyone be able to fall away and lose his salvation then Jesus wouldn't be the perfect hero any longer and would be required to return to the grave and to hell. It is an exacting science that God follows: justice. But, since Scripture clearly states that Jesus is on his throne in heaven forever, that no one is capable of losing their salvation.

There are passages that are clumsily misinterpreted. In Hebrews the OPPORTUNITY for salvation is called the Tree of Life. The statement involves those being removed from that tree to make room for the gentiles, and even the gentiles upon unbelief will be removed from the Tree of Life. The key word in both incidences is UNBELIEF, or TRUST or VALUING the plan of the gospel. If anyone who valued their saving from a doomed state puts their trust in Jesus it is stated that Jesus will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave or forsake that person. It is stated also that nothing of any possible situation or thing cannot remove us from the grip God has on us through the plan of The Father: The gospel. That would certainly refer to our own sin as well.

The reason Jesus didn't need to die billions of deaths for billions of people is that all believers become one with him as his body.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It is said at the end of Romans 4 that Jesus was PERMITTED to rise from the grave because of our saving. Think about that: Because of our salvation Jesus was saved.
How in the world could the Savior be "saved"? then He would need another Savior to save him. Who is coming up with these outlandish doctrines?

Mar 25, 2020
The law of Moses was abolished at the cross.

We are to obey Christ and His commandments that are written on our heart.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
Colossians 1:16-17
Really?

Jesus did indeed abolish the Old Law by dying on the Cross. But Jesus kept all the 10 Commandments and encouraged those who wished to learn from Him to live those commandments throughout their lives.

In fact Jesus reaffirms what is given us in the commandments even firmly.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew Chapter 5: 16-30

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Matthew Chapter 19:16-26

“Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. Matthew Chapter 5:17.

Since it is all fulfilled in Jesus, we believe that through Jesus, we keep the commandments. Just as He did during His time. You cannot do the opposite of what is given in the 10 commandments and say that Jesus died so you don't have to keep the commandments.

As for the Sabbath, the Jewish Sabbath day falls between Friday and Saturday of our Global calendar. So that was the Sabbath day. But the new Sabbath day of rest is Jesus Himself.

Yet here's what the Bible says regarding that too.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Romans Chapter 14:5

Therefore the Sabbath still is a Holy day of rest. It is one of the 10 commandments and if we revere Our God we will treat it as such. The context which Jesus used to describe should be taken into account because of what the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law at Jesus' time was saying. And Jesus said that "Man was not made for the Sabbath but the Sabbath for Man. The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Rethink what you said. Abolished? Not likely.

Jan 30, 2023
Mathew 5:17-20 - is clear that not a 'jot' will change. Many passages, “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19). Luke 16:17 It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law. James 2:20 - 20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? - Jesus never stated that he came to change the law. This came after by Paul.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Paul did not change the law. Nor did Jesus.

Look at what Jesus said. None of you keep the law"

thats the point of the law

Moses said cursed is the one who does not confirm and obey every word of this law. Thats why Paul said whoever places them selves under the law is cursed. Because NO ONE keeps the law as required.

James said if we keep the whole law yet STUMBLE in just one point, is guilty of the whole law.

no one keeps the law. the law was given as a schoolmaster to condemn. Not to show us how to act..

Jan 30, 2023
James 2:24 - 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
Peter tells Paul - Acts 21:24 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law.
Matt 5:19 - 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 23:3 - so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

Clearly, there were commandments / laws which we are to practice - Paul Romans 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Mar 25, 2020
Well, those who think that Jesus came and died for our sins and Rose from the dead on the 3rd day so that The Law will be abolished are very mistaken. Jesus' death on the Cross breaks the condemnation which the law brings before God's eyes therefore making man reconciled with God because of Jesus' sacrifice. NOTE - Jesus' sacrifice takes away the condemnation because of the Law. The 10 commandments are to be followed as Jesus explains in (Matthew Chapter 5:16-30) More so, because we as "Christians" are expected to walk in "The Spirit of Christ" and not "after the flesh".

This is explained in detail in Romans Chapter 8. Often sadly misinterpreted that "Living in the spirit", means the Law is dead. The Law isn't dead. Rather the condemnation which comes from disobeying "The Law" is dead. Therefore, if we are "Spirit filled Christians", we must live a life like Christ.

So, those of you looking for a free pass? It isn't like how you want it. It is always how God wants it. Just so you're all clear on that. No easy way out. The Law is in full effect. On the day of Judgement as a Christian, imagine any Christian giving a naive answer to God saying,"God you abolished the Law of Moses, the 10 Commandments". That's why that terrible day is called the day of The Lord's anger. Day of Judgement. The second coming of our Lord Jesus. And No one escapes from it. No one.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well, those who think that Jesus came and died for our sins and Rose from the dead on the 3rd day so that The Law will be abolished are very mistaken. Jesus' death on the Cross breaks the condemnation which the law brings before God's eyes therefore making man reconciled with God because of Jesus' sacrifice. NOTE - Jesus' sacrifice takes away the condemnation because of the Law. The 10 commandments are to be followed as Jesus explains in (Matthew Chapter 5:16-30) More so, because we as "Christians" are expected to walk in "The Spirit of Christ" and not "after the flesh".

This is explained in detail in Romans Chapter 8. Often sadly misinterpreted that "Living in the spirit", means the Law is dead. The Law isn't dead. Rather the condemnation which comes from disobeying "The Law" is dead. Therefore, if we are "Spirit filled Christians", we must live a life like Christ.

So, those of you looking for a free pass? It isn't like how you want it. It is always how God wants it. Just so you're all clear on that. No easy way out. The Law is in full effect. On the day of Judgement as a Christian, imagine any Christian giving a naive answer to God saying,"God you abolished the Law of Moses, the 10 Commandments". That's why that terrible day is called the day of The Lord's anger. Day of Judgement. The second coming of our Lord Jesus. And No one escapes from it. No one.
Two things:

One, Jesus' ministry was entirely undertaken under the Sinai covenant, the "Law". His teaching must be interpreted in the correct context.

Two: your third paragraph employs a false dichotomy. You imply that Christians who believe we are not under the Law are profligate sinners with no care for holiness.

Read Hebrews 8.