Christ kept the Law of Moses, so....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 25, 2021
Let’s see what the Bible Says about being freed from the curse of the law:

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
the law of sin and death: Animal sacrifice under the law of Moses if yo committed adultery, broke the Sabbath you were put to death now under Christ we can repent!
Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Dec 25, 2021
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Maybe you believe if the Lord says it, this is written in red!
Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Matthew 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Matthew 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Kinda sounds like what’s in the 10 what say you? Crickets

Dec 25, 2021
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. You have to find yourself in the Scripture!
that why Christ said this:
Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
Matthew 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Matthew 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. I don’t think you what to be like these guy!

last Scripture: Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. You have to have both faith in Christ and keep the Commandments

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
1Cointhians 10: 27 are you saying you can eat unclean food?
The problem is that people fail to rightly divide and think Old Covenant = Old Testament. Not so! In fact, the Old Covenant did continue until Christ's death.

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. Hebrews 9:16

And the Old Covenant began in 1,500 BC with Moses. As for the food laws in pre-Mosaic times:
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. Genesis 9:3-4

Prior to that, animals had only been for sacrifices, not food. And only the clean ones.

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
Let’s see what sin is according to the Bible: 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. New Testamen!
Amen! But which law are we talking about? The moral law? Yes. The mosaic law? Certainly not. Such was given to the nation of Israel only, which is not for today. If it was, children not born of lawful marriage would have a problem...
A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord.
Deuteronomy 23:2

Remember, we cannot pick and choose...

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The problem is that people fail to rightly divide and think Old Covenant = Old Testament. Not so! In fact, the Old Covenant did continue until Christ's death.

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. Hebrews 9:16

And the Old Covenant began in 1,500 BC with Moses. As for the food laws in pre-Mosaic times:
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. Genesis 9:3-4

Prior to that, animals had only been for sacrifices, not food. And only the clean ones.
You have misinterpreted Genesis 9:3-4, likely be a you’re using an old translation with language you don’t understand. Use a modern translation…

“Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.” ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9‬:3-‭4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The prohibition is on meat with blood still in it, not meat generally.

Happy_hobnob

Mar 11, 2023
I've heard other sincere believers say that since Jesus kept the Laws of Moses we should keep them or at least try and somehow that is following Him. Is this what Jesus was talking about in these passages?

Mathew 5:17-20 Jesus said, Do not think that I came to destroy the law and the prophets. No , I have not come to destroy them , but to fulfil them... whoever breaks the least of these commandment , and teaches men so, he will be called the least in the kingdom....

Mathew 5 verse 20 For I(JESUS) say to you, unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the scribes and the pharisees, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

In verse 17, Jesus said we're teach and do the law of Moses to be great in the kingdom and in verse 20 Jesus said unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the Law you'll in no case enter the kingdom of heaven.
Are we to do both, keep the Law of Moses like Jesus, and keep Jesus words in red . Would that be exceeding the scribes and pharisees rightousness?
I think the Pharisees Jesus was referring to, where the the leaders of the synagogue's, who were on his back trying to trip Jesus up,
With debates, and the scribes where possibly the people who were writing those debates down, quite possibly even favouring the pharisees who were trying to trip Jesus up, so I don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to exceeding that kind of righteousness.

Mar 9, 2023
The problem is that many people overlook the fact that Jesus was a Jew under the Mosaic Law and His ministry on Earth was solely to Jews. He stated that Himself. At his death He left a Will (Testament). That will is the Testament which writes Gods Laws on the heart of true believers. No longer is it I must or must not, but rather I will or I wont out of love. No longer Law on stone, but Law on the heart.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
There is a bit of confusion Jesus never stated he came to change and followed the Law / circumcised etc... however, it is implied in the NT by others in particular Paul we do not need to keep the law. If we do not need to keep the law then we do not need to Repent Rev the last book

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead
"So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. (Matthew 23:28)
Rev 2:16 16 Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Jan 4, 2023
I've heard other sincere believers say that since Jesus kept the Laws of Moses we should keep them or at least try and somehow that is following Him. Is this what Jesus was talking about in these passages?

Mathew 5:17-20 Jesus said, Do not think that I came to destroy the law and the prophets. No , I have not come to destroy them , but to fulfil them... whoever breaks the least of these commandment , and teaches men so, he will be called the least in the kingdom....

Mathew 5 verse 20 For I(JESUS) say to you, unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the scribes and the pharisees, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

In verse 17, Jesus said we're teach and do the law of Moses to be great in the kingdom and in verse 20 Jesus said unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the Law you'll in no case enter the kingdom of heaven.
Are we to do both, keep theLaw of Moses like Jesus, and keep Jesus words in red . Would that be exceeding the scribes and pharisees rightousness?
Mt 23:27 This is my take on your question. The scribes and pharisees were clearly unrighteous, full of dead mens' bones. They worked to display an outward appearance of righteousness, while inwardly serving mamon. I see them serving mamon in various ways: making God's house into a profiteering marketplace, and wearing ceriemonial robes with wide philacteries. Then they did even worse

Jan 4, 2023
Mt 23:27 This is my take on your question. The scribes and pharisees were clearly unrighteous, full of dead .mens' bones. They worked to display an outward appearance of righteousness, while inwardly serving mamon. I see them serving mamon in various ways: making God's house into a profiteering marketplace, and wearing ceriemonial robes with wide philacteries. Then they did even worse
Sorry about that, I did have a point. I have to do this on an Android phone because I don't have real internet. To do my best I need to create text and then roof read it and make corrections, but this Android makes it so tricky by its tiny portion of the screen plus my tendency to tap the screen and accidentally post unfinished replies. Since there's no way to go back and edit a posted reply, I can't do my best with it. Sorry for cluttering the chat room.

Jan 4, 2023
This is just to complete the picture: Our Christ nullified the law for those who believe on Him, but for unbelievers to enter the kingdom, they have to follow all of God's law perfectly, which no begotten man can do.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
The problem is that many people overlook the fact that Jesus was a Jew under the Mosaic Law and His ministry on Earth was solely to Jews. He stated that Himself.
Amen, well said...
There is a bit of confusion Jesus never stated he came to change and followed the Law / circumcised etc... however, it is implied in the NT by others in particular Paul we do not need to keep the law.
Yes, Paul Specifically teaches we, with Christ Living In us, Fulfil:

All Of His Law, In "One Word: Love thy neighbor as thyself!"
(
Galatians 5:14; Romans 13:8-10) "Simplicity In Christ!" Amen?

and:

Precious friends, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided ← ← ← ←
(+ I and II). ← After 11 years of Confusion, God Gave "Needed Evidence"! ↑

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings

Happy_hobnob

Mar 11, 2023
The problem is that many people overlook the fact that Jesus was a Jew under the Mosaic Law and His ministry on Earth was solely to Jews. He stated that Himself. At his death He left a Will (Testament). That will is the Testament which writes Gods Laws on the heart of true believers. No longer is it I must or must not, but rather I will or I wont out of love. No longer Law on stone, but Law on the heart.
Jesus was not Jew, his mother was, and his father, but Jesus was born of a holy incarnation, a Jewish minister born a Jew told me that.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Well, this completely tosses out the process of sanctification.

1 John 5:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
“For the law was given by Moses,

but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, that Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭31:24-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD; and how much more after my death?”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭31:27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man,

but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:9-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:39-40, 45-47‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For Moses truly said ( Deuteronomy 18)unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭3:22-24, 26‬ ‭

“Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The law and the prophets were until John:

since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭

“Thou shalt not kill “ isn’t a commandment that anyone can obey it’s telling violent and murderous people at heart , they better not kill anyone or else they will be killed it’s not God teaching anyone anything about himself he’s teaching us about mankind’s corruption and guilt before thou shalt not steal is telling us what not to do it’s for those who steal adulterers ect we have to repent of those things and believe the gospel

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
You have misinterpreted Genesis 9:3-4, likely be a you’re using an old translation with language you don’t understand. Use a modern translation…

“Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.” ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9‬:3-‭4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The prohibition is on meat with blood still in it, not meat generally.
Amen brother. Did I say something different?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
So, after reading a great many postings (BUT, NOT ALL) would it be fair to say, if a person is not under Grace, they are under the Law?