Christians on Base Jumpers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rudimental
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Rudimental

Guest
So you all know what Base Jumping is and what Base Jumpers are by now. People that climb to the top of a really high building and then jump off before releasing their chute at the last minute so it can open and they safely land on the ground.

I would like to know what Christians opinions are on base jumping and people that base jump. They are doing it for a "rush". The "thrill" of it when the adrenaline kicks in. Hence the term "adrenaline junkies". Addicted to the buzz they get.

But base jumping is a very dangerous sport. It is never 100% safe to do no matter how well you think you have packed your chute or how many "jumps" you have done.

By base jumping you are putting your life at risk. What if there IS an accident and the chute doesn't open? Well obviously you hit the floor really hard and break into a hundred pieces and die.

So seeing that life is sacred to God. And that He wants ALL people to come to Him first BEFORE they die. What should we say (as Christians) to people that "dice with death" this way?

What do you suppose God will ask a person that died (accidentally) from base jumping? Or what do you suppose that persons answer would be?

I accept that geezers need excitement. I accept that nothing you do in life is 100% safe. You might be surprised to learn about how many people die just putting their socks on in the morning accidentally trip and bang their head. Or the amount of people that die when walking down the stairs in the morning. Nothing you do in life is 100% safe. But those sorts of things are true accidents. Unlike base jumping which is much more likely to kill you if things go wrong.

So, should people base jump? What is a Christian's perspective on it? And are there any Christian base jumpers here?
 
Probably the same attitude as we'd have for people who over eat. Each is doing it to satisfy some perceived need.
 
I don't see an issue here. God wants us to live life, life is meant to be exciting. If you demonize base jumpers, then where do you draw the line? Dirt bikers? Surfers? Bingo players? Yes it's to satisfy a need - the need to enjoy and experience life!

I'm curious where the "geezers need excitement" comes from. Most base jumpers I've seen aren't geezers. Just the opposite.
 
Yeah no issue here, I think its cool and crazy from an outsiders perspective. :) I'm not demonizing it. Or don't mean to. I'm just looking for a way to look at it. It's a sport (sort of). Even if it is an extremely dangerous sport and its amazing and scary to watch let alone actually doing it.

By geezers I just mean people in general. Men or women.

I guess you are right Will. They are doing it for some need of their own and not of God's.

You are right too Ricky. They are doing it to experience life and getting a rush from it.

So I think now that anyone that really knows and loves God and is serving Him and doing His will, sharing His news and message with others with a passion for bringing Christ to people would be getting high from that and God alone more than any base jump can and could provide.

Mind you I'm sure base jumpers would say they love God for this experience and believe He exists because of it and possibly say a prayer before a jump! That said, I would happily do a skydive for charity if I knew it would help just one person and be worth it! :)

Cheers and God bless.
 
Yeah no issue here, I think its cool and crazy from an outsiders perspective. :) I'm not demonizing it. Or don't mean to. I'm just looking for a way to look at it. It's a sport (sort of). Even if it is an extremely dangerous sport and its amazing and scary to watch let alone actually doing it.

By geezers I just mean people in general. Men or women.

I guess you are right Will. They are doing it for some need of their own and not of God's.

You are right too Ricky. They are doing it to experience life and getting a rush from it.

So I think now that anyone that really knows and loves God and is serving Him and doing His will, sharing His news and message with others with a passion for bringing Christ to people would be getting high from that and God alone more than any base jump can and could provide.

Mind you I'm sure base jumpers would say they love God for this experience and believe He exists because of it and possibly say a prayer before a jump! That said, I would happily do a skydive for charity if I knew it would help just one person and be worth it! :)

Cheers and God bless.
Wouldn't it have been easier to type, "do?"
 
I mean, is it any different than playing a sport like football? Or something people do every day in driving? Could argue you put your life at risk every time you get in the car.
 
Actually, driving your car is one of the most dangerous activities you can do. In the fire service we had a name for most drivers: job security specialists
 
I mean, is it any different than playing a sport like football? Or something people do every day in driving? Could argue you put your life at risk every time you get in the car.
Yes it is a quite a LOT different to playing a sport like football. Are you only asking me that to incite a response? It's a little different to driving and playing football!

When you drive your car, provided you and everyone else is driving safely and there are no jay walkers. You are pretty much guaranteed to get to your destination safely. Also to drive you have to pass a lot of tests to show you have the skills and abilities to drive. And when you play football you have to adhere to health and safety game rules.

When you climb to the top of a crane and jump off you are not only breaking the law but you are also putting your life in jeopardy unnecessarily simply for the "rush" you may get from it. Most of that "rush" comes from the thought that your parachute might not open properly and you will get to see whats behind the iron curtain.

So I would say now that base jumping, is NOT a sport. It's a dangerous activity done by people who do not know that the thrill of serving God and doing His will and bringing lost souls to Jesus is BETTER than any base jump in the long run.

But again I say, with that said, I would still happily do a sky dive if it was for charity. Because then I would be doing it for someone else and not myself. Base jumpers are only doing it for themselves and not for other people.

Let us see if there are any Christian base jumpers. I suspect there are none. Only possibly those that believe in God but don't really have a relationship with Him. Because any devout Christian would see that serving God is more important than serving yourself.

But then if you believe enough that the mountain can be cast into the sea if you have enough faith then I see no reason why anyone who doesn't have enough faith that they can fly actually can.
 
Last edited:
God gave me mountains to climb, rope from which to dangle off the mountains, rivers to cross, gardens to plant....a playground in my back yard. If He didn't want me to enjoy creation, even the man made parts, why is it here? Life is dangerous, no matter what we do to stay safe. Besides, I believe that these bodies are temporary, so I plan to meet God bruised and worn out, saying weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! But that's just me......
 
Yes it is a quite a LOT different to playing a sport like football. Are you only asking me that to incite a response? It's a little different to driving and playing football!

When you drive your car, provided you and everyone else is driving safely and there are no jay walkers. You are pretty much guaranteed to get to your destination safely. Also to drive you have to pass a lot of tests to show you have the skills and abilities to drive. And when you play football you have to adhere to health and safety game rules.

When you climb to the top of a crane and jump off you are not only breaking the law but you are also putting your life in jeopardy unnecessarily simply for the "rush" you may get from it. Most of that "rush" comes from the thought that your parachute might not open properly and you will get to see whats behind the iron curtain.

So I would say now that base jumping, is NOT a sport. It's a dangerous activity done by people who do not know that the thrill of serving God and doing His will and bringing lost souls to Jesus is BETTER than any base jump in the long run.

But again I say, with that said, I would still happily do a sky dive if it was for charity. Because then I would be doing it for someone else and not myself. Base jumpers are only doing it for themselves and not for other people.

Let us see if there are any Christian base jumpers. I suspect there are none. Only possibly those that believe in God but don't really have a relationship with Him. Because any devout Christian would see that serving God is more important than serving yourself.

But then if you believe enough that the mountain can be cast into the sea if you have enough faith then I see no reason why anyone who doesn't have enough faith that they can fly actually can.

I've never based jump nor do I ever plan on it. But driving you never know what can happen because other people are out there. You can't control what they do. Just look at the news. I just meant if we're going to be questioning something that's life risking, in my opinion driving should fall under that category. Coming at it from that standpoint, you can think of anything that can be life risking.
 
Maybe deep down inside, some of these "base jumpers" have a death wish?

That being said, when I go to buy groceries in my car, I just want food to eat, I'm not doing it for a thrill, and although there is certainly risk in driving my car to the store, it is not the goal of what I am doing.

But then, I am kind of a whimp for scary things. Except on my bike. Then I am a fool hardy risk taker. Ask anyone in the local ER!
 
The Bible tells us that God is “the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9) Beyond creating mankind, he also took great care in giving us what we need to enjoy life. (Psalm 139:14; Acts 14:16, 17; 17:24-28) It is reasonable, therefore, to conclude that he expects us to care for what he has so kindly given us. Laws and principles given to the nation of Israel help us appreciate that fact.
The Mosaic Law required that an individual take steps to protect the lives of others. If this was not done and a life was lost, the one who could have prevented the tragedy would be considered bloodguilty. For example, a homeowner was commanded to build a low wall or railing, called a parapet, around the flat roof of his new house. Otherwise, bloodguilt would come upon the house if someone fell to his death from the roof. (Deuteronomy 22:8) If a bull unexpectedly gored a person to death, the owner of the bull would not be held responsible. On the other hand, if the bull was known to be dangerous and the owner had been warned but did not keep the bull properly guarded, then if the bull gored someone, the owner of the bull would be considered bloodguilty and could be put to death. (Exodus 21:28, 29) Since life is precious to God, his Law reflected a high regard for the preservation and protection of life.
Faithful servants of God understood that these principles extended to taking personal risks as well. In one Bible account, David expressed his desire to be able to “have a drink of the water from the cistern of Bethlehem.” Bethlehem was under Philistine control at the time. On hearing David’s request, three of his soldiers forced their way into the camp of the Philistines, drew out water from the cistern of Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. How did David react? He would not drink the water but, rather, poured it out on the ground. He said: “It is unthinkable on my part, as regards my God, to do this! Is it the blood of these men that I should drink at the risk of their souls? For it was at the risk of their souls that they brought it.” (1 Chronicles 11:17-19) To David it was unthinkable to risk a life for his personal satisfaction. Human life is a precious gift. How will you use it??
 
The only issue I have with base jumping is when people climb buildings illegally.
 
Yes it is a quite a LOT different to playing a sport like football. Are you only asking me that to incite a response? It's a little different to driving and playing football!

As it turns out, a lot of football players are living their retirement years with a lot of brain and spinal damage. Maybe it's not as far separated as you think

When you drive your car, provided you and everyone else is driving safely and there are no jay walkers. You are pretty much guaranteed to get to your destination safely. Also to drive you have to pass a lot of tests to show you have the skills and abilities to drive. And when you play football you have to adhere to health and safety game rules.

You don't drive in a major population center, do you? "Safe driver" is an oxymoron in L.A.

When you climb to the top of a crane and jump off you are not only breaking the law but you are also putting your life in jeopardy unnecessarily simply for the "rush" you may get from it. Most of that "rush" comes from the thought that your parachute might not open properly and you will get to see whats behind the iron curtain.

Granted, they should not be trespassing or breaking laws to pursue their sport. But there are many legal places they can jump. And I don't know a one of them who's silently praying their chute doesn't open.

So I would say now that base jumping, is NOT a sport. It's a dangerous activity done by people who do not know that the thrill of serving God and doing His will and bringing lost souls to Jesus is BETTER than any base jump in the long run.

Why do the two have to be exclusive?

But again I say, with that said, I would still happily do a sky dive if it was for charity. Because then I would be doing it for someone else and not myself. Base jumpers are only doing it for themselves and not for other people.

Hmmm. Do you play baseball for yourself or for others? Does God really want us to be mindless automatons? I think He wants us to enjoy life and exercise that free will that He gave us at least a little bit.

Let us see if there are any Christian base jumpers. I suspect there are none. Only possibly those that believe in God but don't really have a relationship with Him. Because any devout Christian would see that serving God is more important than serving yourself.

I know some Christian base jumpers. They are devout. Just because you do something you have a skill in and enjoy, that doesn't mean you're serving yourself. Gee I guess you don't even play baseball because that would be so self serving... unless it was for charity of course.

But then if you believe enough that the mountain can be cast into the sea if you have enough faith then I see no reason why anyone who doesn't have enough faith that they can fly actually can.

So you never need the service of an airline! Wow, wish I could be that faithful. Sure would save me money commuting between homes. But of course saving money is selfish, unless of course you donate it to charity.

God doesn't want us to be mindless robots. He wants to, among other things, enjoy life!
 
I don't see anything wrong with it. People break their necks in sports and hobbies all the time. The "what if" factor in base jumping might be scarier than most other activities, but base jumpers aren't dying in record numbers. The same thing would happen to a commercial pilot if the electronics/engine of the plane failed.
 
When you drive your car, provided you and everyone else is driving safely and there are no jay walkers. You are pretty much guaranteed to get to your destination safely. Also to drive you have to pass a lot of tests to show you have the skills and abilities to drive. And when you play football you have to adhere to health and safety game rules.

When you climb to the top of a crane and jump off you are not only breaking the law but you are also putting your life in jeopardy unnecessarily simply for the "rush" you may get from it. Most of that "rush" comes from the thought that your parachute might not open properly and you will get to see whats behind the iron curtain.

Let us see if there are any Christian base jumpers. I suspect there are none. Only possibly those that believe in God but don't really have a relationship with Him. Because any devout Christian would see that serving God is more important than serving yourself.

It sounds like you feel that doing something solely for it's entertainment value is wrong. Sometimes, we can do things that aren't biblically wrong and simply enjoy the journey. If not, then life would be long indeed.

I know a pseudo base jumper who walked with Christ. I have a friend who was killed piloting an ultralight aircraft - they are potentially dangerous but he wasn't hot dogging it - a gust of wind while he was still learning got him killed. He was a good man who was a good Christian on fire for Christ. He planned on being around for a very long time to tell more people about Christ. He did nothing wrong other than to try and learn a new skill. I miss him still to this day.


Ever heard of a guy named Chesley Sullenberger? He successfully saved a plane full of people from dying in a crash landing onto water in the Hudson river. He happened to be a senior pilot with oodles of experience and a calm under pressure that saved lives. The cause of the crash? A flock of geese took out both engines on take off (a multi engine passenger plane can take off with an engine down - this is by design and by regulation).

Air travel is safer than car travel by a large margin, yet if that particular man hadn't been on that particular flight, the outcome would most likely have been disastrous.

The test you take to drive a car doesn't guarantee that you wont get hit by a drunk driver - some guy that took the same exact test yet still decided to drive drunk. The yellow lines on the road that keep opposing traffic from killing you don't mean that someone might not be reaching for something on the floor of the car and veer into your lane, hitting you headfirst and killing all the occupants of both vehicles.

The patch of ice in the winter, the sun in your eyes during the summer. The sheet of plywood that was improperly secured to the bed of the pick up truck in front of you that goes whipping into your windshield and cuts your body in half - all of these are things that happen every year.


Never make the mistake of using the words all or none - you'll always end up only getting half the story.

A Christian probably could base jump just fine if they planned things out carefully and prayerfully. The guy who makes the proper arrangements to have permission to base jump (they can actually be arranged), who's learned how to properly maintain his equipment, and who works with a check list to make sure that every part of the equipment works - is he really the problem here? As long as he's not jumping with shoddy equipment on purpose to try and get himself killed, he may not be stastically likely to die at all.
Not all of the base jumpers do so off of a cliff in high winds that slam them into the cliff. Some of them are careful about it.
 
I'm jealous of them. I wish I had the guts to do it but I'm a'scared. LOL I've climbed high mountains, rode my bike in some rugged terrain, walked on the seashore in a hurricane, trudged through a blizzard alone, and did a dangerous high-dive once. But I would be too afraid of base jumping or do any parachuting for that matter.
 
Why step out of a perfectly good airplane ... or off a perfectly good cliff!