CHURCH

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

massager

Mar 4, 2022
Why are we Christians? Why do we go to the church we do? Is coming to church mainly our social event of the week? Are we more concerned about what we wear than what we hear from the pulpit? Do we worry more about the form of worship than actually worshipping? And what difference does it make, anyway? Isn’t it more important that we’re there than not being involved at all?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Why are we Christians? Why do we go to the church we do? Is coming to church mainly our social event of the week? Are we more concerned about what we wear than what we hear from the pulpit? Do we worry more about the form of worship than actually worshipping? And what difference does it make, anyway? Isn’t it more important that we’re there than not being involved at all?
There's only one church—the body of Christ. There are many congregations. I think people sometimes get this confused.

I think it matters a lot. If the congregation where you attend is sending you down the broad road, you're probably better off not being there to bein with.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Why do we go to the church we do?
I love my church family. My church family loves me. Plain and simple, really :)

They are a Bible believing, Bible teaching church...

massager

Mar 4, 2022
Thank you.
I also love my church,i was only asking this not to contradict or criticize but to share ideas and learn

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Why are we Christians?
I don't really like that word. Not because it's a bad word but over here in the UK being a Christian is a cultural thing rather than a personal thing.

We identify as Christian as a result of being a western country.

I prefer something along the lines of why and what do we believe in Jesus and follow him?

Many people over here who go claim to be Christian yet do not believe that he rose again from the dead.

Dont get me wrong I am not saying that they should not be allowed to come to church.
Where a church preaches the gospel and the message is heard then people are hearing it.

You raise some great questions and will hopefully give us food for thought.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
There are many churches. The only discernible biblical division of the church is geography. We cannot "go to" what we are. Where two or three are gathered Christ is in the midst of them. We are called out of the kingdom of Darkness to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Fellowship with the saints is good for the spirit and soul. :) The whole body grows and builds itself up in love through the work of each individual part.

massager

Mar 4, 2022
You are right,Christianity name is becoming too cultural and not too spiritual

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Why are we Christians?

Because we believe Jesus is the Son of God who died and rose again to forgive us of our sins to reconcile us to God.

I would say it's because it's our community.
Therefore church should be an everyday event.

Are we more concerned about what we wear than what we hear from the pulpit?

Yes that can be the case but it can be reversed as in are we more concerned about what people are wearing? Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating it's ok to wear clothing that leaves nothing left to be desired. That should be talked about.

With regards to worship?

I struggle with this as I am a quite contemplating worshipper whereas our church worship is vibrant.

Yes it's important being there because If you/we are then you/we are involved.
That's community. Just having a cuppa and chat before and after the service, asking how you are and so on.

That's community, that's church, that's loving each other.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
Why are we Christians?
I don't really like that word. Not because it's a bad word but over here in the UK being a Christian is a cultural thing rather than a personal thing.

We identify as Christian as a result of being a western country.
But it is a word that people can identify with. If I tell people I am a SOG WAP they kinda look at you weird...although it does open doors.
But maybe its up to us to change the image of Christianity rather than allowing other to disparage the word.

Son Of God With Almighty Power

massager

Mar 4, 2022
Could you kindly copy this and send my message because here when people keep posting they get lost and i would love to read it slowly

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
But it is a word that people can identify with. If I tell people I am a SOG WAP they kinda look at you weird...although it does open doors.
But maybe its up to us to change the image of Christianity rather than allowing other to disparage the word.

What you say brother I totally agree with.

It is by our actions and walk in every day life, it's not a maybe but a given.
When people see Jesus in us know they will want to know more and the more they want to know the more we can tell them.

Now the reason I don't like word Christian is because one day at work someone asked me what I did at the weekend.

I told them I went to church on Sunday.
They asked me if I was a Christian to which I said yes and I asked them if they were to which they said yes.

So as I walked away God asked me to ask them if they believed that Jesus died and rose again which I did.

They said that they believed Jesus was a person but did not rise from the dead.

I had to refuse a person asking to be baptised for the same reason.

Having said that though if we can identify the meaning of being a Christian to what Jesus and the gospels and the NT tell us and how salvation is given to us then yes that's true Christian.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Glad you clarified SOG WAP
That saves my mind going places

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Why are we Christians?
Good Question ---my view on your questions

I think most call themselves Christians ---but most are not True Christians ----the word Christian was first introduced by man -----it is actually suppose to be used by Born Again people ----but this word now has lost it's true meaning and anyone and everyone calls themselves Christians ------

Personally I don't follow the Religion of Christianity as all Religions are man made and are the ruination of actually following The Way -----There is only one true Way ---it is the Way of Jesus Who is the Word --no Christianity involved ---just Following the Word and doing as it says to get the results ------and it works folks -----I live a wonderful life without calling my self a Christian or following Christianity---

I love my Life -----:)

I go to the church I do because The Minister is a Holy Spirit indwelled Person -----I have been to many churches that the Minister was not a Born Again person and they have wrongly divided the Word and so i ran from that Church -----Discernment is a great gift in Churches when Sermons are being preached

Your Question -------Is coming to church mainly our social event of the week?

I say -----
No ---for me it is my time to be with and worship God -----I do not get involved with the politics of the Church -----I go to church for one purpose --to hear God's word and to Worship Him with prayer and hyms ----

Your Question -------Are we more concerned about what we wear than what we hear from the pulpit?

I say -----
No ----what comes from the pulpit ---is very important and again where discernment is needed ----Know your Scriptures so you can know if what is coming from the Pulpit is being Rightly Divided and is Truth -if it is not -----RUN FOREST RUN ----

Your Question -----Do we worry more about the form of worship than actually worshipping?

I say -----
I do ------I do not go to Church to watch a show of worship ----- Ministers wearing their robes carrying massive Crosses etc ------God looks at the Heart ---not the Garb that is worn -------nor do i like the repeating the same prayers every week ---God gives a warning about repeating repetitious prayers with vain words -----like the apostle's creed and the Our Father -----that when repeated so often the words become just words and loose their true meaning -- your praying in vain --the words become fruitless -----

Your Question ----------And what difference does it make, anyway? Isn’t it more important that we’re there than not being involved at all?
I say
Well ---I would say to that --one should be cautious as to what Church they get involved in and I would say to people know your Word so you can know if the Church is actually into the Word of God or is preaching a different Gospel ----

Where you eternally end up is on you and knowing Truth from Lies is --- crucial ----Many get involved in the Wrong Church with the Wrong Religion ----just because a church says they are a Christian Church means nothing today -----CAUTION is needed -------

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
You are right,Christianity name is becoming too cultural and not too spiritual
it literally means disciples of Jesus Christ , they were called “Christians “ early on

“and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭11:26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s just a term to convey that they are a group of disciples of Jesus the Christ. Because there are some who are corrupt and say their Christian shouldn’t reflect on the term itself it’s like saying “ I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ “ to say “
I’m a Christian “

the people should be recognized for what they are and not the term labeled by thier corruption

Thewatchman

Jun 19, 2021
How long have you been a Christian from your question I am guessing not long. I would hope we become Christians is because we have come to learn the love that God has for us, in time just as a child grows and learns about there family we start to learn about God we start to study His word and we grow and start to understand the Love our Father has for us and we can start to return that love and we build a relationship with God and then begin to work in the field (world) for him. That does not mean you become a pastor ect. It means that you become the best son, husband, father, friend . . . that you can be. Love your neighbor as your self. Why do we go to church? It should be to hear and learn the word of God, far to many churches have become a place to learn church doctrine, church traditions . . . what it should be is a place to be tought Gods word with understanding. I prefer chapter by chapter and verse by verse so we get the full understanding of what our Father is trying to teach us. I hope this helps. One more thing make sure that you check out what anyone tells you; make them prove it from the word. That goes for me, your pastor or anyone else that wants to give you "bible knowledge" God tells us in man places to test the fruit.

Thewatchman

Jun 19, 2021
I forgot to give you one very good bit of information. This is what I strive to be like. Acts 17. Paul and the others were in Thessalonica they went to the synagogue "church" and tought the people about Jesus and that they should serve Him rather than there idols; which hurt business so they sought to kill them so the brothers hid them till night lowered them down over the wall of the city. Lets pick it up in verse 10. And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night to Berea, who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. ( they went right to work preaching the word as soon as they got there). Verse 11. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
( They were getting the word from Paul and Sials it does not get any better than that but they still went home and searched the scriptures to make sure the teaching was true. Your church should be teaching you how to search the scriptures so that you know that you know what they say is true) Verse 12. Therefore many of them believed; (the Jews) also of honorable woman which were Greeks, and of men not a few.( We see that from good and right teaching all people will be drawn to God, men, woman, Greeks and Jews.) This is what a good church should be doing. It is sad to say finding a "good church" is not that easy to do.
Look forward to talking to you more.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
getting the word from Paul and Sials it does not get any better than that but they still went home and searched the scriptures to make sure the teaching was true.
Amen! ie:

1Co_4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
1Co_11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am Of CHRIST.
Eph_5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

and:

I also discovered these Bible study Rules to
understand "running the GRACE race" for The LORD! Amen?
-----------------------------------------------

GRACE And Peace...

Thewatchman

Jun 19, 2021
Amen! ie:

1Co_4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
1Co_11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am Of CHRIST.
Eph_5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

and:

I also discovered these Bible study Rules to
understand "running the GRACE race" for The LORD! Amen?
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks Grace
GRACE And Peace...

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
“Do we worry more about the form of worship than actually worshipping?”

“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:23-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63‬ ‭KJV‬

“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭KJV‬‬

of we were willing to hear the gospel that Jesus taught us to believe we wouldn’t have any doubts about worship nor have so many divisions and arguments

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
Hi massager,

I also love those whom the Lord by His Holy Spirit has `set` me among. (1 Cor. 12: 18) We meet when we can in informal ways, fellowshipping, discussing God`s word, praying and encouraging each other as we reach out to others.

We are not meeting in a public lecture type meeting run by an organisation, but mentoring and encouraging one another, and all the more as we see the day approaching. (Heb. 10: 25)

We are a Holy Spirit formed net work of believers across the valley here in OZ. We relate to those in and out of formal meetings. (Col. 3: 16) We just find this way as more flexible and personal as we mentor others.

We believe we are (part of) the church, the Body of Christ, and function as such. (Eph. 4: 11 - 16)

regards, Marilyn.