Clear verses about the deity of Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I have noticed that some Christians are trying to prove Christ's deity from ambiguous verses or trying to collect as many verses about His deity as possible, which leads to weaker ones included and provides a space for attacks.

Therefore, I am presenting 5 clear verses that can be used without ambiguity and you do not have to be afraid that your opponent will look at Greek:

----

"For a child is born to us, and a son is given to us, whose government is upon his shoulder, and his name is called the messenger of great counsel, wonderful counsellor, mighty God (Θεὸς ἰσχυρός), potentate, prince of peace, father of the age to come."
Is 9:6

----

Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God! (ὁ Θεός μου)”
John 20:28

----

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος)

John 1:1

----

For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. (ἴσον τῷ Θεῷ)
J 5:18 (notice that this is a commentary by the apostle, not by Jews)

----

"Christ Jesus, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage." (ἐν μορφῇ Θεοῦ, ἴσα Θεῷ)
Phil 2:6

P

pjharrison

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the father, the word and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Matthew 28:19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing then in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
2Cor: 13: 14 For the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the father, the word and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Matthew 28:19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing then in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
2Cor: 13: 14 For the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Respectfully, 1 John 5:7 is one of the most contested verses. There is ample evidence to suggest that it is not original to the text. It is not a good choice for witnessing because of this.

I would add to the list Titus 2:13: "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of [a]our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus".

P

pjharrison

Respectfully, 1 John 5:7 is one of the most contested verses. There is ample evidence to suggest that it is not original to the text. It is not a good choice for witnessing because of this.

I would add to the list Titus 2:13: "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of [a]our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus".
The diety means all three right?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
In that case there are many, many verses. The whole bible is about God.
Methinks you overlooked both the point of the OP and the case in my comment; I used a lower-case 'g' intentionally.

P

pjharrison

Methinks you overlooked both the point of the OP and the case in my comment; I used a lower-case 'g' intentionally.
Okay, so lower case deity means?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Respectfully, 1 John 5:7 is one of the most contested verses. There is ample evidence to suggest that it is not original to the text.
Actually that is incorrect.

While the majority of Greek manuscripts do not have this verse, it is definitely a part of Scripture according to many other manuscripts, translations, and quotations.

See this on the Trinitarian Bible Society website (www.tbsbibles.org).
WHY 1 John 5.7-8 is in THE BIBLE

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

While the majority of Greek manuscripts do not have this verse, it is definitely a part of Scripture according to many other manuscripts, translations, and quotations.

You may have wanted to refute my statement, but you actually affirmed it. I said it is contested. The mere fact that there is an argument as to why the verse "is" in the Bible, proves the point that it is contested! :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Okay, so lower case deity means?
No; once again you didn't read carefully. Lower-case "g" as in "god", the non-specific term. The word, "deity" is also non-specific, but is generally used as a synonym for "god". In Christian circles, "deity" usually means "God" (specific) but as I stated, context determines subject. :)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I have noticed that some Christians are trying to prove Christ's deity from ambiguous verses or trying to collect as many verses about His deity as possible, which leads to weaker ones included and provides a space for attacks.

Therefore, I am presenting 5 clear verses that can be used without ambiguity and you do not have to be afraid that your opponent will look at Greek:

----

"For a child is born to us, and a son is given to us, whose government is upon his shoulder, and his name is called the messenger of great counsel, wonderful counsellor, mighty God (Θεὸς ἰσχυρός), potentate, prince of peace, father of the age to come."
Is 9:6

----

Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God! (ὁ Θεός μου)”
John 20:28

----

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος)
John 1:1

----

For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. (ἴσον τῷ Θεῷ)
J 5:18 (notice that this is a commentary by the apostle, not by Jews)

----

"Christ Jesus, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage." (ἐν μορφῇ Θεοῦ, ἴσα Θεῷ)
Phil 2:6
Hello Trofimus,

Here's a couple more to add to the list list:

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." For those who are unaware, Immanuel means "with us is God." - Isaiah 7:14

"as we await the blessed hope and glorious appearance of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." - Titus 2:13

"Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen. - Rom.9:5

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
And another... John 8:58: "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Some Christians are having difficulty to believe that Lord Jesus is also God because for them the oneness of God is numeric one.

if Jesus is included then it will be two.

and some uses the verse in Hosea 11:9 that God is not man and John 17:3 that Jesus introduced the Father as the only true God.

now how will you refute what I have stated here?

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
And another... John 8:58: "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
So it was Jesus who let Pharaoh know about Sarai being Abram's wife?

And Jesus who told Abimelech king of Gerar that Sarah was Abraham's wife?

GodisONE

Jul 11, 2018

you do know the trinity does not exist? the Catholic Encyclopedia claims the original Mathew 28:19 that Yeshua said to baptize in HIS NAME [not the trinity] and they changed it to the trinity format!!

[[The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263:
The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.”]]

this why Peter baptized in the NAME of Yeshua in Acts 2:38, he followed the command by Yeshua.

try reading the CJB version of the Bible [complete Jewish version].

example: see how 1 John 5:7 differs from the KJV to the CJB

1 John 5:7-8
7 There are three witnesses -
8 the Spirit, the water and the blood - and these three are in agreement.

my favorite verse explaining who Yeshua was [having both Yahweh/Holy Spirit = Anointed ONE] in Him

Colossians 1:15
15 He is the visible image of the invisible God.

Hebrews 1 calls it the EXPRESS IMAGE!!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So it was Jesus who let Pharaoh know about Sarai being Abram's wife?

And Jesus who told Abimelech king of Gerar that Sarah was Abraham's wife?
I don't see the relevance of your questions to the thread subject.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
I don't see the relevance of your questions to the thread subject.
Of course you don't since it was the Holy Ghost who revealed unto Pharaoh that Sarai was the wife of Abram and it was Holy Ghost who revealed to Abimelech the king of Gerar that Sarah was wife of Abraham.

And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? Ex 3:13

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015

I was thinking about Titus 2:13 too, but can it be translated as "glory of our great God [one person] and Saviour Jesus Christ [second person]"?

There is some rule in Greek (Granwille-Sharp rule) implying that its one person because of the grammar structure, but it would again lead to discussion about Greek rules...

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015

It will not be a good situation when you will use this verse and your opponent will look into his Bible and the verse would not be in the text, right?

You would need to go into discussion about manuscript lines and your belief in the Textus Receptus superiority etc, which would distract you from the point of the deity of Christ.