Computers suck!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 16, 2013
Computers suck!

People have gone from actually studying the Word to Googleing the Word then cutting and pasting it. Makes them look really knowledgeable but they actually learn very little this way. That's why so many here don't believe the majority of the bible. They don't know what it says. And they do it all intellectually to win their point. Because of this there is little love involved in this site. Only a mediocre show of it. Though to be honest, there are some real Christians in this forum.

Its all because of this tech shortcut called computers.
Cutting and pasting a passage from the bible does not mean one has not studied the passage in question.

Cutting and pasting a passage from the bible doesn't make one bit of difference to why someone may or may not believe all of it.

I wouldn't assume anyone who cut and pasted a bible passage doesn't know what it says.

What does cutting and pasting the bible have to do with love and love "on this site"?

Just. Wow. baa62187d5e63fe3f7b1566b75b47392--mondays-funny-kitties.jpg

B

BeyondET

This is the same argument I heard about using electric guitars in church....
That argument never held up and neither does this one!

Computers have nothing to do with the real issue do they...
It is the beholder of what they found rather from the Internet or a written bible, before the Internet people still didnt understand what they where reading, that has gone back hundreds of years if not thousands. lol

Aug 15, 2009
It's not the computer's fault, it's people's attitudes & not being saved.

A christian with a superior attitude will abuse a website to make themselves look good.

A christianeze sinner will search for what agrees with them, & not the truth.

A sockpuppet will search for what their employer tells them to.

It's all fraud on the part of the person, not the computer.

Dec 19, 2009
Computers suck!

People have gone from actually studying the Word to Googleing the Word then cutting and pasting it. Makes them look really knowledgeable but they actually learn very little this way. That's why so many here don't believe the majority of the bible. They don't know what it says. And they do it all intellectually to win their point. Because of this there is little love involved in this site. Only a mediocre show of it. Though to be honest, there are some real Christians in this forum.

I think you’re raised three issues here.

First, I agree entirely about reading the Bible. Everybody should read the Bible – all of it. It’s only about a thousand pages, the length of two relatively long novels.

But what’s wrong with copying and pasting? It is good to quote scripture, but who wants to type it in, and why should they, when they can copy and paste?

As for love on this website, yes, there could be more love, in my opinion.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
I'm inclined to agree with you. It is hard to stare at walls and walls of bible passages and try make any sense out of what that has to do with the point that was raised.
I see what you did there :D

Aug 15, 2009
I'm inclined to agree with you. It is hard to stare at walls and walls of bible passages and try make any sense out of what that has to do with the point that was raised.
Haa haa, nailed it!:p

Feb 7, 2015
Also, it is kind of pointless to paste a bunch of Scripture to try and show how YOU are understanding it, if that is all you post concerning the thought.
They remain the exact same words we all have in OUR OWN Bibles, and don't say a thing about why you may read it differently than we do.

Aug 15, 2009
Also, it is kind of pointless to paste a bunch of Scripture to try and show how YOU are understanding it, if that is all you post concerning the thought.
They remain the exact same words we all have in OUR OWN Bibles, and don't say a thing about why you may read it differently than we do.
I agree. (Don't keel over, lol!)

IMO it's much better to find only a few scriptures that PLAINLY state the truth, so I don't have to.

Others may speak against it, but there it is, & God won't let His Word return void!
:D

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Computers suck!

I understand your point, but it is not all bad. Now at the push of a button we can look up any verse in any translation in seconds, fact check anything, and get information that would have taken months not too long ago, if you could even get access to it. I think you hate how some people are and it might help you to google how Jesus tells us to deal with these kinds of things because I don't think "hating" works. (I know you didn't say you hated any people, I was just making a point) I'm just saying I am very grateful to live in this age we have so much information at the click of a mouse away.

Feb 7, 2015
I agree. (Don't keel over, lol!)

IMO it's much better to find only a few scriptures that PLAINLY state the truth, so I don't have to.

Others may speak against it, but there it is, & God won't let His Word return void!
:D
I have long believed that we don't really know what just about ANY Scripture truly means if we cannot read it and take it into our brains.... THEN turn around and speak it back out in today's language (jargon) so that anyone listening to us, who has never even SEEN a Bible, can fully understand how what we are saying applies to the lives they live this very day in 2017.

Frankly, the blowhardness of quoting Scripture (and saying nothing else) is an indication to me that the poster really may have no idea what they are quoting.

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
I disagree. A person can skim read a paper bible or a digital. They can type or copy/paste and accomplish the exact same thing.

I use my phone and a kindle for almost all my bible reading. I find it easy and more profitable because I don't have to cart around a 40 pound KJV, a strongs, some commentary, etc to really study. In the end you get out what you put in. If you don't want to really work you won't get much out of it. If you're willing to really study you will...no matter what device or book you're holding.

W

wwjd_kilden

"Computers suck" ?
Then why are you using one?

May 13, 2017
It is the beholder of what they found rather from the Internet or a written bible, before the Internet people still didnt understand what they where reading, that has gone back hundreds of years if not thousands. lol
Electric guitars only amplify the sound though. Not a problem.

Zen

Sep 11, 2015
They don't know what it says. And they do it all intellectually to win their point
I'd say it's the people who don't post scripture who do that. They have to have the last word and undermine people and shake their faith, use insults and put others down.

B

BeyondET

Electric guitars only amplify the sound though. Not a problem.
Exactly, some may not like the added fuzz box to the amplified sound or even the guitar amplified by electricity and prefer the acoustic style. In the same way the computer can generate an electric bible per say, lol

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I reversed the fan on mine - now it blows...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Say! Would you know if there is a way to move a book from my computer onto my phone?
Easy. Connect phone to computer, usually via USB (but bluetooth is an option) locate book file on computer, copy to phone.

The question is, does your phone have a program that will open the file? If not, a quick google can probably find one.

But... wouldn't doing that make it easier to get dumber? Or does that effect only pertain to the Bible on electronic storage?

May 13, 2017
Easy. Connect phone to computer, usually via USB (but bluetooth is an option) locate book file on computer, copy to phone.

The question is, does your phone have a program that will open the file? If not, a quick google can probably find one.

But... wouldn't doing that make it easier to get dumber? Or does that effect only pertain to the Bible on electronic storage?
LOL Not at all...A book is for reading...It's not an audio book. "The Shinar Directive"

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Wait you started this thread in reference to audio versions of the Bible? This changes everything! I thought you were talking about Bible programs where you could find references without reading context and Google which turns up the verse you are looking for.

Upside is my Esword is off the hook. Downside is my CD player is now on trial...