Contraceptives

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

katie97

Why do Christian people believe using contraceptives is wrong? Or is that just Catholics? (I come from a Catholic church by the way but I don't like to restrict myself to it too much). I don't understand what's so wrong with using them and having safe and responsible sex, a lot of teenagers nowadays seem to be controlled by their hormones and are determined to have sex anyway, and I think they should be taught how to do it safely but that also abstinence is an option, if that's what they choose to do. Just my thoughts. Could someone please explain this to me? :)

Cheers :D

Nov 30, 2012
Why do Christian people believe using contraceptives is wrong? Or is that just Catholics? (I come from a Catholic church by the way but I don't like to restrict myself to it too much). I don't understand what's so wrong with using them and having safe and responsible sex, a lot of teenagers nowadays seem to be controlled by their hormones and are determined to have sex anyway, and I think they should be taught how to do it safely but that also abstinence is an option, if that's what they choose to do. Just my thoughts. Could someone please explain this to me? :)

Tell me, how is creating something to protect us from harming ourselves while doing something we shouldn't a good thing?

U

Ugly

I think it's mostly Catholic, but some Christians believe this as well.

The idea is that you are playing God by not allowing the natural course of things to take place.

But really, saying it's 'responsible', from a Christian standpoint, it's really accurate either.

B

biscuit

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but of the world." (1John:2:15-16)

God hates the sin .... fornication.

Last edited by a moderator:

starfield

Jun 13, 2009

A common lie told to unmarried teens and young adults nowadays is that they can practice safe and responsible sex, in other words fornicate responsibly, which is an oxymoron. It's the way of the selfish, depraved world heading to eternal destruction. Sexual activities should be confined within marriage thus unmarried Christian teens and young adults shouldn't be using contraceptives. Your non-Christian peers are probably doing it, but set a good example for them by pursuing purity. Let the Spirit of God control you (Romans 13:14, Galatians 5:24-25).

Cheers :)

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014
A common lie told to unmarried teens and young adults nowadays is that they can practice safe and responsible sex, in other words fornicate responsibly, which is an oxymoron. It's the way of the selfish, depraved world heading to eternal destruction. Sexual activities should be confined within marriage thus unmarried Christian teens and young adults shouldn't be using contraceptives. Your non-Christian peers are probably doing it, but set a good example for them by pursuing purity. Let the Spirit of God control you (Romans 13:14, Galatians 5:24-25).

Cheers :)
So can married Christians use contraceptive? Is that ok?

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
There is no issue with married christians using contraceptives and personally Id encourage it unless youre actively trying to have a child.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010

Secondly, there is in man an inclination to things that pertain to him more specially, according to that nature which he has in common with other animals: and in virtue of this inclination, those things are said to belong to the natural law, "which nature has taught to all animals" [Pandect. Just. I, tit. i], such as sexual intercourse, education of offspring and so forth.

Contraception divorces the sexual act from its purpose and natural consequence. Opposition to contraceptives is rooted in a teleological view of reality in which actions, beings, impulses and parts all have clear purposes and aim at final goods. The sexual act has procreation as its natural end, and the pleasure associated with this activity is a means to an end - something to encourage people to do it in the first place.

One might also say, for instance, that nourishment is the final end of eating, and we derive pleasure from food for an analogous purpose.

But contraception puts the cart before the horse, so to speak. It identifies one's own pleasure as the final purpose of the act rather than its actual natural outcome.

It would be as if someone purposefully entered a "binge and purge" cycle because they liked the taste of hamburgers, but didn't want any of the nutritional value of it. In that sense, the pleasure of eating the hamburger takes precedence over its actual final end, and nature's purposes are thwarted by a hedonistic mindset.

gypsygirl

Sep 19, 2012
I think it's mostly Catholic, but some Christians believe this as well.

The idea is that you are playing God by not allowing the natural course of things to take place.

But really, saying it's 'responsible', from a Christian standpoint, it's really accurate either.
yes, to springboard off of what ugly said.

i have some (christian) family who believe that because children are considered a blessing from God, that there is (only) inherent blessing in allowing/trusting God to "plan" your family by having the children that are naturally borne from the marital relationship without any interference from any means of birth control. also, that God can be trusted to provide for your family to the extent that you're blessed by each child.

some of the scripture used to support this ideology

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children[a] of one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

psalm 127:3-5 - the above passage is why often those who are subscribing to this say they have a "full quiver" mindset

28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

genesis 1:28

and then they underpin those scriptures with the numerous examples used in the OT about God opening/closing the womb and directly affecting conception and birth, such as: sarah, leah, hagar, ruth, rachel, and hannah for starters. and i'm sure there are more.

this is really a somewhat complex theological issue that i've had lengthy discussions with said family member (and others) and it's really about conviction and interpretation of scriptures.

i hope this helps. : )

Last edited:

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Contraception divorces the sexual act from its purpose and natural consequence. Opposition to contraceptives is rooted in a teleological view of reality in which actions, beings, impulses and parts all have clear purposes and aim at final goods. The sexual act has procreation as its natural end, and the pleasure associated with this activity is a means to an end - something to encourage people to do it in the first place.

One might also say, for instance, that nourishment is the final end of eating, and we derive pleasure from food for an analogous purpose.

But contraception puts the cart before the horse, so to speak. It identifies one's own pleasure as the final purpose of the act rather than its actual natural outcome.

It would be as if someone purposefully entered a "binge and purge" cycle because they liked the taste of hamburgers, but didn't want any of the nutritional value of it. In that sense, the pleasure of eating the hamburger takes precedence over its actual final end, and nature's purposes are thwarted by a hedonistic mindset.
Fair points unless the married couple doesn't want kids in the first place, so then contraception is a very viable option regardless of the natural end since thats what you are actively avoiding.

gypsygirl

Sep 19, 2012
yes, to springboard off of what ugly said.

i have some (christian) family who believe that because children are considered a blessing from God, that there is (only) inherent blessing in allowing/trusting God to "plan" your family by having the children that are naturally borne from the marital relationship without any interference from any means of birth control. also, that God can be trusted to provide for your family to the extent that you're blessed by each child.

some of the scripture used to support this ideology

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children[a] of one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

psalm 127:3-5 - the above passage is why often those who are subscribing to this say they have a "full quiver" mindset

28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

genesis 1:28

and then they underpin those scriptures with the numerous examples used in the OT about God opening/closing the womb and directly affecting conception and birth, such as: sarah, leah, hagar, ruth, rachel, and hannah for starters. and i'm sure there are more.

this is really a somewhat complex theological issue that i've had lengthy discussions with said family member (and others) and it's really about conviction and interpretation of scriptures.

i hope this helps. : )

i feel inclined to point out that while i personally don't subscribe to this, i do respect that others do, and it's their conviction.

the one thing that i see often that sort of gets me going is that i hear the argument, and the closing remark is that "we also understand that not everyone is at the same level of maturity" as if, somehow holding this belief makes you more spiritual, more obedient, more "christian".

and i simply don't buy that. but i do hear it OVER AND OVER.

like, you get "heaven points" for stuff like this, and in my opinion, much verges on legalism. but i think that it can be legalism for one, and the other, not so.

like i said, i consider this a private matter between the couple and God, not everyone else.

Last edited:

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
If you are choosing to engage in sexually risky behavior, for the love of all that is holy, please use contraceptives! Don't bring another human being into the world because of carelessness.

For married couples, I think it's a personal decision. I won't use contraceptives if I were to be married again (barring an unforeseen health issue), but I have no problem if others choose to do so. I knew a preacher in Amish country who was against contraceptives. They had 7 children; then his wife almost died when she miscarried twins. Another difficult pregnancy resulted in a child with medical struggles. The preacher was left with a choice: never again engage in many sexual activities with his wife or risk her life and the health of their potential children. That's when he realized that maybe there are times that God is cool with condoms.

R

Richie_2uk

Because if its sex before marriage and out of Gods will, its still sin. Nothing wrong using protection, but if you are using them out of marriage still its wrong by God. its still sin.

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
Because if its sex before marriage and out of Gods will, its still sin. Nothing wrong using protection, but if you are using them out of marriage still its wrong by God. its still sin.
Having sex outside of God-given parameters is of course sin. Using a wrapper IF you make such a poor choice (like so many of our gentle readers have done in the not-too-distant past) is being responsible and just common sense.

May 3, 2013
They may serve to prevent some sort of STDs or a baby but they do not shield against severe problems faced when detachment are needed, wether they be emotional or physical. I have heard, at certain ages and health conditions, they are adviced for lubrication.

May 3, 2013
As a teen?

Shields ae a big lie and a good business to benefit the resellers and the lying system who spread that lie.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

That burger bit is an interesting one to chew on. Particularly so if he's got his cart fore rather than aft. Seriously, though, all poor puns and stupidities aside, that binge and purge concept is something I've never seen applied to contraception before. It really is good food for thought. I believe I may have to blog this one. Also, like your signature.

R

Roots

I think an issue people have with contraceptives has to do with the question of when life begins. Some contraceptives such as the pill, allow an egg to be fertilized, but prevent it from implanting on the uterine wall. I've even read that some fertilized eggs may become implanted, but the pill will cause it to be expelled. So, I think the contraceptive issue is actually an issue of conception and when it happens. When does life actually begin? And, at what point, if ever, is it okay to end life.

Personally, I don't think it's ever okay to end a life (abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment, etc). I also lean towards the belief that life begins at conception (fertilization). So, based on these beliefs and what I know about contraceptives like the pill or the depo shot, I'd be against using them myself. If I'm being honest though, I struggle with this belief because I find it very inconvenient. I'd much rather take the pill than use condoms or have to exercise enough self control to monitor my ovulation and not do the deed during the 'likely-to-get-knocked-up' phase. Although, I'm single and not having sex, so thankfully I don't need to actually worry about this myself for a little while at least ;)

Anyway, I think if you're unsure about this issue, it would be good to learn more about how contraceptives work, as well as consider things like when life begins and if it's ever okay to end it.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila

I am a Catholic but I never believe that using contraceptives is a sin. perhaps it depends on the intention actually.

if you will use it for your fornication, then It is really a sin.

but for example that you just want sex with your wife/husband and do not want to have child/children because you really cannot afford (because it is unavoidable for loving couples to have sex to show their extreme love with each other)

I don't think using contraceptives is A SIN in this scenario.

It will be a greater sin that you procreated a lot and yet you cannot give the best in life for your children (good food, good education and good life)

having a lot of children will make a man poor.

but if you live in my native shit hole country, some of our opportunistic Catholic priests/bishops will tell you that using contraceptives is not a sin and if you have many children, it means that is God's blessing and God will provide for their needs.

For me what our local priests say is a PURE BULLSHIT! sorry for the term but I need to be frank even once.

They ask my compatriots to procreate a lot because more children means a lot of people who will give donations, sacramental fees, more students for their schools and alms for the dead.

besides this is their subtle way to make my compatriots remain poor so that they will easily control them and manipulate them if needed to satisfy their wicked desires (even to their partisan politics)

N

NoNameMcgee

im against sex outside of marriage...
because God is against sex outside of marriage

as far as contraceptives go for married couples

i consider it optional

(not a fan but not specifically against them)