CRA Christians in Recovery (anonymous)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2021 - LOVE YOUR ENEMY
Audio for LOVE YOUR ENEMY

Many of us got caught up in addiction because of our inability to deal with the pain and harm inflicted on us by those who did not treat us as they should have. To recover life as God intended, we need to learn how to deal with these situations and those involved. Jesus gave us instructions about how to love our enemies and to do good to those who despitefully used us.

Jesus was despised, physically abused, and rejected more than any other human being, and yet from the cross He asked His Father to forgive those who had acted unjustly towards Him. The challenge for us in our life with God in recovery is to be more like Jesus and offer forgiveness to our enemies and those who have mistreated us.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48 NIV)

As followers of Jesus, regardless of the injustice done to us, we are instructed to love our enemies. We may be reluctant to obey this command and ask, “Why should I forgive them?” We do so because unforgiveness is like a cancer that eats away at our soul. Those who have harmed us will have to account to God for what they have done and, for our own good, it’s time for us to forgive them and turn them over to God’s righteous judgment.

I also noticed that under the sun there is evil in the courtroom. Yes, even the courts of law are corrupt! I said to myself, “In due season God will judge everyone, both good and bad, for all their deeds.” (Ecclesiastes 3:16-17 NLT)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, it is hard for me to love those who hurt me. Please work in my heart so I can forgive and release those who have harmed me to You. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2021 - HEALED THROUGH JESUS’ NAME
Audio for HEALED THROUGH JESUS’ NAME
Often, when we come into recovery, we have no sense of why our life problems took us down the road of addiction. What we do know is that we are now powerless over our dependency and our life is unmanageable. We know we need healing but are unable to accurately express what we need healing for. In our grief we cried out to God for understanding and relief from our troubled spirit.

O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. (Psalm 30:2 ESV)

Looking back, we can see our life path included relationships with people who were harmful to our well-being. Then our own poor decisions started us on the downward spiral of despair and into addiction. What is the root cause of this? The Bible tells us that we have an enemy of our soul who works hard to keep us on the path of slavery to sin. Jesus wants the eyes of all those who do not know Him to be opened so they can have full knowledge of what really keeps them in the bondage.

I’m sending you off to open the eyes of the outsiders so they can see the difference between dark and light, and choose light, see the difference between Satan and God, and choose God. I’m sending you off to present my offer of sins forgiven, and a place in the family, inviting them into the company of those who begin real living by believing in me. (Acts 26:17-18 MSG)

Anyone who is tired and worn out can come to Jesus and He will heal and restore them. In His company each person receives the grace and strength needed to turn their lives around. Daily meditation on the Scriptures is also required to give understanding of the principles that will take us forward to a purposeful life that will last forever.

Then listen to this, you and all the people of Israel! You nailed Jesus Christ of Nazareth to the cross. But God raised him from the dead. It is through Jesus’ name that this man stands healed in front of you. (Acts 4:10 NIRV)

Prayer: Gracious God, Thank You for opening my eyes to see that Jesus laid down His life that I might be forgiven and restored to a place in Your family forever. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2021 - SLOGAN - LIVE AND LET LIVE
Audio for SLOGAN - LIVE AND LET LIVE
"Live and let live" is one of those slogans that encourages us to consider if our desire for control is becoming an issue we need to deal with. The Serenity Prayer wisely encourages us to ask God to grant us the serenity to "accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Be humble under God’s powerful hand. Then he will lift you up when the right time comes. Give all your worries to him, because he cares for you. Control yourselves and be careful! (1 Peter 5:6-8 ERV)

We are not in control of other people, places, or things. Some of our family members struggle with addiction and our desire is that they find sobriety. Others continue to exhibit character defects that are harmful to themselves and to others. People in positions of power in our work or community will make choices that we don't like, but are powerless to change. Some people will have an inaccurate understanding of who we are and why we are choosing for the life choices we are making.

While we can hope for things to be different, we need to let go of situations that are out of our control. We need to focus our thoughts and efforts on those things God has given us to do – "praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry it out." We need to trust God and respect the choices others make. Live and let live.

It's too easy for us to live co-dependently worrying about others, trying to rescue and fix things beyond our control, or just obsessing in our thoughts and emotions about things we don't like.

Today is another opportunity for us to live as the person God created us to be. Today is a day to relax, to be ourselves, to let go of things that aren't ours to hold, and to let God be God.

Prayer: Loving God, I surrender my life and the circumstances around me into Your hands. Help me to stay focused on Your plan for my life and let everything else go. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope
More information on this and other related topics @ http://www.partnersinhope.ca/life-with-god-in-recovery-resources/

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2021 - CHARACTER DEFECT – LYING
Audio for CHARACTER DEFECT – LYING
The Bible makes it clear that God detests lying. Most of the time we did not speak the truth. We also lied by being silent in some situations and thereby giving false impressions of the truth. There are various reasons why we lied, some of which are: to get what we wanted; to protect ourselves; to protect others; to get out of trouble. There is a slogan that says, “We are most like the devil when we lie.”

Do not steal. Do not tell lies. Do not cheat one another. The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth. (Leviticus 19:11; Proverbs 12:22 NLT)

It is sad when someone is a compulsive liar. People around them know they cannot be relied on to tell the truth. Some of us were once like that. We tried to paint word pictures of ourselves that were glowing and got angry with others when they saw right through us. Thank God He brought us to that place where we were able to see the truth. We came to acknowledge that we were powerless over our dependencies and that our life had become unmanageable. In recovery we are encouraged to tell the truth even though it can sometimes be painful.
An honest witness tells the truth; a false witness tells lies. Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed. (Proverbs 12:17, 19 NLT)

Our lives will be transformed if we are willing to bring all the events of our past into the light of God’s forgiveness and healing grace. Covering up certain incidents is being untruthful and puts us back into the darkness where we are subject to relapse. Why not reveal those things that have the power to oppress us and receive forgiveness and healing? We can then build a new life on the foundation of the truth of God’s word.
And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight. (2 Peter 3:14 NLT)

Prayer: Loving God, I have fallen short in so many ways, please help me build my life on the truth of Your word. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2021 - DOING A GOOD JOB
Audio for DOING A GOOD JOB
There’s nothing more satisfying than finishing a job and having someone say, “What a good job you’ve done!” When someone performs well, whether it is in the trades or the arts, it brings joy to more than just themselves.

Show me someone who does a good job, and I will show you someone who is better than most and worthy of the company of kings. (Proverbs 22:29 GNT)

As we walk with God and follow His will for our lives, He promises to give us everything we need for our journey. It doesn’t matter if the task is something that is done behind the scenes, and hardly gets noticed by anyone, or something that gains the attention of many. If we do our best in every situation, God is pleased, and we experience the satisfaction of a job well done.

Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 NLT)

God has given each one of us gifts and talents that we can use to bless others and demonstrate God’s love and creativity. While in training, if we work hard, learn from the experience of others, and just keep practicing our trade, we may find we develop more talent and a wider knowledge of what works and what doesn’t. The challenge for most of us is to be willing to develop our talents and to keep working hard. We don’t rise to the top of our trade in the first week or month. We shouldn’t expect to receive top wages at the beginning of the job but be willing to prove ourselves – our ability and our work ethic – before demanding higher wages. We don’t need to have the same talent as someone else, but simply do the best with what we have been given.

Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. (Galatians 6:4 NLT)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Please help me to give each responsibility and task the best effort I can, trusting that when I do You will help me do a good job. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope
More information on this and other related topics @ http://www.partnersinhope.ca/life-with-god-in-recovery-resources/

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2021 - HIDING BEHIND A MASK
Audio for HIDING BEHIND A MASK

Tomorrow night many children put on costumes and go door-to-door “trick-or-treating.” Some of them wear masks to complete their costume. Many adults also dress in costumes at their workplace and later in the evening may attend parties where a mask is used to disguise who they really are. Everyone wants to have a good time as they pretend to be someone they are not for a few hours.

Truth is, many of us don’t just don masks at Hallowe’en. Sometimes we have worn masks for so long that we forget who we really are. A mask, of course, covers the truth of who we truly are with a lie. When we live behind a mask, we are denying our true self and rejecting the person God created us to be.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. (Psalm 139:13-14 NLT)

God created us in love with a purpose for our lives. God invites us to let our unique personality complement each of our relationships, and everything we undertake to do. This is what life with God in recovery is all about, becoming the person God created us to be and following the plan He has for our lives. When we dare to take off the mask and let our true self be known, we often experience freedom from the burden of our false persona.
The question for each of us is, do we want to tell the truth, remove the mask, and find out who we truly are, or do we want to continue telling lies and hiding behind the mask of a false persona?

What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ’s body we’re all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself. (Ephesians 4:25 MSG)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, from this day forward I commit
to letting go of everything that hinders me from becoming
the person You created me to be. Help me to tell the truth
in every circumstance and leave the outcome with You. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2021 - HIDING BEHIND A MASK
Audio for HIDING BEHIND A MASK

Tomorrow night many children put on costumes and go door-to-door “trick-or-treating.” Some of them wear masks to complete their costume. Many adults also dress in costumes at their workplace and later in the evening may attend parties where a mask is used to disguise who they really are. Everyone wants to have a good time as they pretend to be someone they are not for a few hours.

Truth is, many of us don’t just don masks at Hallowe’en. Sometimes we have worn masks for so long that we forget who we really are. A mask, of course, covers the truth of who we truly are with a lie. When we live behind a mask, we are denying our true self and rejecting the person God created us to be.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. (Psalm 139:13-14 NLT)

God created us in love with a purpose for our lives. God invites us to let our unique personality complement each of our relationships, and everything we undertake to do. This is what life with God in recovery is all about, becoming the person God created us to be and following the plan He has for our lives. When we dare to take off the mask and let our true self be known, we often experience freedom from the burden of our false persona.
The question for each of us is, do we want to tell the truth, remove the mask, and find out who we truly are, or do we want to continue telling lies and hiding behind the mask of a false persona?

What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ’s body we’re all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself. (Ephesians 4:25 MSG)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, from this day forward I commit
to letting go of everything that hinders me from becoming
the person You created me to be. Help me to tell the truth
in every circumstance and leave the outcome with You. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope
Very, very nice! 💟

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2021 - MATURING THROUGH PERSEVERING
Audio for MATURING THROUGH PERSEVERING

When we admitted we were powerless over our dependencies and our lives had become unmanageable we were, in a sense, like the man robbed and beaten in the parable of the good Samaritan. (Luke 10: 25-37) The traveller was rendered powerless by robbers and we were rendered powerless by Satan whom Jesus said is a thief who wants to steal, kill, and destroy us.

By sending Jesus into the world to die for our sins and resurrecting Him from the dead, God has shown that He has all power over sin and Satan, and His will is to restore us to new life.

He
(God) heals their broken hearts and bandages their wounds. (Psalm 147:3 ERV)

The man broken and beaten in the parable that Jesus told was rendered powerless. He was even unaware that someone came along and did what was required to restore him to health. Some of us never knew about Jesus who came into the world to take our sin and brokenness upon himself. Jesus died in our place so we could be born again to a new life. Jesus did this so we could grow and mature as blessed children of our Heavenly Father and live in His favour forever.

But he was being punished for what we did. He was crushed because of our guilt. He took the punishment we deserved, and this brought us peace. We were healed because of his pain. (Isaiah 53:5 ERV)

We may not understand God’s ways at first for they are different from the ways of the world. Through prayer and meditation, we need to persevere and bring our actions into line with what God says. We need a Power greater than ourselves to help us stay the course and the Holy Spirit is that Power. He will help us mature and lead us into all truth.

Jesus said, “Let me assure you, it is better for you that I go away. I say this because when I go away I will send the Helper to you. But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into all truth”. (John 16: 7a, 13a ERV)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Thank you for sending Jesus into the world to save powerless people like me. I invite the Holy Spirit to help me come to the knowledge of all truth. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
All Christians used to be addicted to sin and the lusts of the flesh. We all have a testimony of how the Lord delivered us from that mess. No reason to be anonymous about it. Shout it from the housetops.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
All Christians used to be addicted to sin and the lusts of the flesh. We all have a testimony of how the Lord delivered us from that mess. No reason to be anonymous about it. Shout it from the housetops.
I agree totaly. The trouble is that so many think that holier than thou is equal to better than thou. Church should be the place to when we seek counsel. Often many are hesitant to come clean and publicly admit that they have struggles with life's problems. Thus hesitate to seek help. Which is sad. The anonymity aspect becomes important for those who don't want to be seen as 'less than' and or become honest to people with others out of shame or fear of belittlement.

The mantra in the majority of groups is. "Who you see here, what you hear here, let it stay here!" So there's a certain sense of security in being anonymous that's attractive to many that are too ashamed or embarrassed to reach out for help. @Magenta, Will you please elaborate?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Not sure what you mean, as in, have you read the testimonies in this thread? We have not been silent about the things God has done for us. We praise Him for all He has delivered us from! Is Amanuensis your real name?

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2021 - BUILDING A GOOD REPUTATION
Audio for BUILDING A GOOD REPUTATION

When we were living in addiction we were not known as people who had a good reputation. In fact, even though we tried to hide what was going on, we had sunk so deep into our addiction that our character and reputation were destroyed by our constant poor choices. Dealing with a bad reputation is one of the most difficult things to face as we seek to live well in recovery with God.
God's word describes the value of a good reputation and has lots of helpful advice for us as we seek to rebuild ours.

A good reputation and respect are worth much more than silver and gold. Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation. Always let others see you behaving properly, even though they may still accuse you of doing wrong. Then on the day of judgment, they will honor God by telling the good things they saw you do. (Proverbs 22:1 CEV, Proverbs 3:3-4 NLT, 1 Peter 2:12 CEV)

The list of good choices that are foundational to good character are clearly laid out in the above Bible verses: be loyal; be kind; behave properly, do good. Rebuilding our reputation is about letting God remove our character defects and inviting Him to help us develop positive character qualities while remaining humble.

There is nothing we have done that we cannot learn from. When we have blown another’s trust many times, it may take time for them to trust us again. However, when change is evident over time, many of us have experienced that people do come around and respond with kindness.

Jesus came to earth to die a sinner’s death on the cross and laid down His good reputation in order that we might receive forgiveness and a new life in recovery with God. He sacrificed everything for us. As tough as it may seem to rebuild our reputation, God is all powerful and will help us do that.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Jesus came to earth and gave up His good reputation so I could have a new life. Empowered by Your Holy Spirit, help me to do the work required to build a new reputation and be a person who has favour with You and with others. One choice at a time, help me to honour You with my thoughts, words, and actions. Amen

©2021 Partners in Hope

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Hoping to keep this forum alive in recognition of 'calibob' who was the inspiration of
starting this forum from the start.
-He has not been active for some time, and I pray for his wellbeing.

Let us be reminded 'addictions' cover many aspects of disorders that are out of control,
and lead to many life problems.

(Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences. A variety of complex neurobiological and psychosocial factors are implicated in the development of addiction, with the predominant paradigm among researchers in the United States being the Brain Disease model, though debate exists within the field over relative contribution of any given factor. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, and continued use despite consequences. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).

-Let anyone feel free to share a concerning addiction/habit/behavior that may be considered to be
detrimental to one's overall wellbeing. Often sharing our experiences opens up much needed support and encouragement
that has been known to change lives with real hope.

-Let us be reminded God shall always be our Higher Power.

PROFILE TO SAVE.jpg

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Hoping to keep this forum alive in recognition of '@calibob' who was the inspiration of
In agreement with your prayer..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
MONDAY MARCH 7, 2022 - INSECURITY
Audio for INSECURITY

Our life in recovery is often like travelling on an unknown path. The surroundings are unfamiliar, and we do not feel confident in the direction we are going. Sometimes we long for the security of what was familiar when we were in addiction. We think about relationships, the neighborhood, or just the known way of doing things. Recovery has brought change to our lives, and we wonder if we can truly rely on God to provide for us and to keep us secure.

Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him. (Psalm 34:8 MSG)

Growth in recovery and security come as we begin to believe that God will hold us steady while life shifts and turns around us. As we fix our attention on God and allow His word to change the way we think and act, we will come to a place of peace in our hearts. Following the ways of God requires surrendering our own familiar but ineffective ways in favour of God’s unfamiliar, but trustworthy ways.

My child, listen carefully to everything I say. Don’t forget a single word but think
about it all. Knowing these teachings will mean true life and good health for you.
(Proverbs 4:20-22 CEV)

When we seek God’s help, God works on our behalf. In the Bible we read about the miracles God performed when people trusted Him. The Bible also promises us that God will do much more than we could ask for or even imagine.

God is able to do far more than we could ever ask for or imagine. He does
everything by his power that is working in us. (Ephesians 3:20 NIRV)

Today, we are invited to believe God and see what happens when we choose to trust Him.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I confess that the unknown ways of recovery often make me feel
insecure. Please help me to trust You and Your ways as I move forward. When I feel insecure,
help me to believe what You say in the Bible and trust that You will hold me steady. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
"Hoping to keep this forum alive in recognition of 'calibob' who was the inspiration of

Let us be reminded 'addictions' cover many aspects of disorders that are out of control,

(Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences. A variety of complex neurobiological and psychosocial factors are implicated in the development of addiction, with the predominant paradigm among researchers in the United States being the Brain Disease model, though debate exists within the field over relative contribution of any given factor. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, and continued use despite consequences. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).

-Let anyone feel free to share a concerning addiction/habit/behavior that may be considered to be
detrimental to one's overall wellbeing. Often sharing our experiences opens up much needed support and encouragement

View attachment 236803
I just got my wify turned on. @ villages of Cabrillo they dc'd our fify because many of the residents were porn addicts. But now I'm back online :love:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I just got my wify turned on. @ villages of Cabrillo they dc'd our fify because many of the residents were porn addicts. But now I'm back online :love:
I read your first sentence as, "I got my wifey turned on." 🤣

Welcome back! 👍

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021

View attachment 236803
Good share Bingo! (y)