Cremation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

sherryt

Jul 26, 2019
My husband and I also have a "do not resuscitate" we also would like to be cremated for whatever reason I'm tossing this over in my mind I really cannot see why this would not be ok can someone shed some light on this for me.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
My husband and I also have a "do not resuscitate" we also would like to be cremated for whatever reason I'm tossing this over in my mind I really cannot see why this would not be ok can someone shed some light on this for me.
Even a body in a tomb eventually deteriorates into dust. Cremation simply accelerates the process. We all get a new body at the resurrection. We receive a glorified body like unto Christs.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Apr 15, 2017
Jos 7:24 And Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, and the silver, and the garment, and the wedge of gold, and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his asses, and his sheep, and his tent, and all that he had: and they brought them unto the valley of Achor.
Jos 7:25 And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones.
Jos 7:26 And they raised over him a great heap of stones unto this day. So the LORD turned from the fierceness of his anger. Wherefore the name of that place was called, The valley of Achor, unto this day.

There was an incidence here where Achan of the tribe of Judah and his family were burned instead of being buried, but it was because they were wicked.

1Sa 31:10 And they put his armour in the house of Ashtaroth: and they fastened his body to the wall of Bethshan.
1Sa 31:11 And when the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead heard of that which the Philistines had done to Saul;
1Sa 31:12 All the valiant men arose, and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Bethshan, and came to Jabesh, and burnt them there.

Saul and his three sons were burned with fire but probably because the Jews did not want them to be a public display to the Philistines who had them and the Jews stole the bodies from them.

But it seemed to be always burial that was used to dispose of the body, and burning a body may be something they did if the people were wicked.

But people that are cremated today it is not the same situation.

But burning a body would be a better way, and not taking up space of land.

And it would not seem like a person cannot have a glorified body because they were cremated, for the body decays in the grave, and Paul said we put off the fleshy body and receive a spiritual body, not the physical body changes in to a spiritual body.

And it does not appear that it is forbidden to cremate a body, or is it.

But why would burial be the way they disposed of the body, and not cremation.

The Bible said cursed is everyone that hangs on a tree.

Could it be that a person that is burned to dispose of the body was a cursed thing to them, or a curse to the dead that was burned, but being buried was a sign of respect to not damage the body.

I do not know but there has to be a reason they buried people but did not burn them.

Also other nations that were heathen would burn their dead as some sort of heathen ritual.

But a saint would not be cremated because of an occult ritual.

That is probably the point why is the reason they want to be cremated.

Hindu cremation was known as early as 1900 B.C. In Hinduism cremation is based on the belief that a human being is made up of five elements of nature which need to be returned to their source at death. Four of these elements—fire, earth, water and air—belong to the body and by cremation, they are returned to their earthly sphere.

Burning the dead was a common practice among ancient Greeks and Romans as far back as 1000 B.C.

From the medieval age until the 19th century, burning at the stake was reserved by the church for those they condemned as heretics and witches.

It seems like burning a body has to do a lot with false religions, and people that are considered wicked as the case of burning witches at the stake, and Achan and his family being burned for being wicked.

But many people do it because of cost, and not taking up land space.

I do not know, but burial is the way they did it in the Old Testament so I do not know if that is the way it is supposed to always be done or not, for does God have a reason why it must be burial.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Does it have to be a natural process which we decay that is right before God.

The Catholic Church was against cremation until 1963 when the Pope lifted the ban which is weird since they have practices like the heathen, and interpret the Bible according to paganism and the occult.

I never really thought about it until this post.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with cremation, though my little brain wonders if it gives God the opportunity if He wanted to bring you back to life. But He could even if you were dust I think.

My only thought is that it may distress family members that someone has their body literally burned to ash. It doesn’t matter because the person is already gone, but like obviously if family is grieving they may be horrified at the idea.

Apr 5, 2020
Jesus used the term to describe Hell as Gehenna. In reality, Gehenna was a trash heap and they burned the trash all day to keep disease down. AND, they burned bodies of those who were diseased and died to keep the disease from spreading from burial/tomb. Now, Jesus never said any of those bodies burned for disease were/were not saved, He just used the continual burning 24/7/365 as an image of "Burning in Hell."

We are dust and spit and return back to dust. I do not see that cremation is against God's Holy Word.

darui

Mar 2, 2020
cremation became more and more popular

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I believe cremation to be a viable way to be "buried" God can resurrect persons from whatever grave they are in/or whatever condition they are in.

I am leaning heavily towards cremation simply because I do not want to become an object of fascination for the peoples attending my "viewing" and/or burial...........

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I have the same questions you do and can’t find any scripture about it so I will follow and hope someone answers thanks for posting

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. When we sleep we go back to the dust. Our Father is not concerned with finding us come the Resurrectio. Many saints were burned alive, many died at sea, in fire4s and worse.

Our Father knows were we sleep and come th resurrection He will not beconcerned about the bodies we had in this age for we will all be just like Jesus Yeshua. We will not be He but just as He, and that is too wonderful to comprehend, but we will in His time.

I think it is a bit weird to attempt to preserve a corpse, not a sin but weird indeed.

darui

Mar 2, 2020
Cremation is very popular in my country. But its not cheap to organize funeral ceremony by this service In Singapore, 82% of all deaths are cremated. 73% are cremated at government-owned Mandai Crematorium and 9% at privately owned crematoria (Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery and Tse Toh Aum Temple).

sherryt

Jul 26, 2019
I believe cremation to be a viable way to be "buried" God can resurrect persons from whatever grave they are in/or whatever condition they are in.

I am leaning heavily towards cremation simply because I do not want to become an object of fascination for the peoples attending my "viewing" and/or burial...........

Its been quite awhile since I asked this question, I have not been in the rooms for quite some time but I would like to thank everyone for their responses. We are comfortable now with our decision to be cremated. Again, thanks to everyone for their views. We have prayed about this and have comfort with our decision. God Bless All

O

Omegatime

I come from a long line of undertakers and when I was younger it wasn't even considered to be cremated. With the coming of formaldehyde it advanced the usage of bodily burial for it ceased the activity of bacteria and fungus for hundreds of years. Many nations bury the dead the same day for good reason. With increased prices for services even in my rural area probably 50% are now cremations. We as christians are not waiting for a body of flesh and blood but a indestructable body spirit made. I have no doubt the Lord can make us complete again. Dont you love it when people say---he/she looks better dead than alive!!!!!! when laying in a casket.