Dating apps?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Should Christian people use dating applications? And when I say dating applications I mean NOT ones that are simply for hookups/one night stands like Tinder or Bumble or all those. I mean like the Christian Mingles, the Match's and Eharmonies. What do you think should be the Christian perspective?

Personally I think that ones SPECIFICALLY made for romantic purposes should be for introductions, but then be able to meet and do things together more fluidly as distance or ability to travel permits.

Part of me thinks that it would definitely make it so that you would meet someone you otherwise wouldn't and God can facilitate something special, but also it's very easy to get into the sort of shopy, "I'mma find someone myself" sorta attitude.

What do you guys think?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Christian Chat was my dating app of choice. It worked out fine for me. Oh yeah, wait, this is not a dating site.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Should Christian people use dating applications? And when I say dating applications I mean NOT ones that are simply for hookups/one night stands like Tinder or Bumble or all those. I mean like the Christian Mingles, the Match's and Eharmonies. What do you think should be the Christian perspective?

Personally I think that ones SPECIFICALLY made for romantic purposes should be for introductions, but then be able to meet and do things together more fluidly as distance or ability to travel permits.

Part of me thinks that it would definitely make it so that you would meet someone you otherwise wouldn't and God can facilitate something special, but also it's very easy to get into the sort of shopy, "I'mma find someone myself" sorta attitude.

What do you guys think?
I can't see anything morally wrong with using dating apps, usually the morality side of things comes in when considering how it is used. Personally, well I just have a hard time feeling like posting what amounts to an advert is all that compatible with how I view relationships or want to conduct myself in relationships. On a practical note, it's much easier to meet people who are far away using such sites, and the farther away someone is the more of your life you'll likely have to leave behind and lose to be with them. So it's more likely that you could spend a lot of time on someone great only for practical concerns to make the relationship a no go. But still those are personal choices and risks to assume; our faith should be much more concerned with how we're treating people in relationships than how we're choosing to meet people to form those relationships.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018

What do you guys think?
Be very careful I just started using one I used a few years ago there is a large increase of fakes and such

S

selfdissolving

I don't like them. It's not true to reality.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
From what I understand Christian dating sites are the worst place to meet Christians.
When you are bold about your faith on a secular site it stands out and is more likely to attract a like minded person, rather than someone with a religion title looking for sex, as seems to happen on Christian sites.

I don't think they're wrong, but I hate the vibe and format. At the end of the day it's quite impersonal. You're throwing out a net and seeing what gets caught, rather than finding someone interesting and taking steps forward.

And I say that as an introvert. Introversion, actually, does not impede on your ability to meet someone. Being shy does, however, and the two are separate.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Back to the OP though. Do you guys think Christians should seek relationships on the internets, or is it better to be in person?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Here's my dating advice.

Study your bible: thoroughly, rigorously, tirelessly... and pray a lot.
Then no matter where you meet people, you'll be prepared for wise evaluations and wise interactions.

And I mean that sincerely.

Where you meet people isn't nearly as important as the state of the "you" that shows up.

God Bless.

Aug 3, 2019
I actually met my late husband in an internet chat room for singles, and I know several other couples who have successful marriages after meeting on various on line apps. I don't see anything wrong with it but you have to be OH SO careful. Many people are just out for a one night stand. Many others will tell you anything to get you hooked on them, then they will ask for money. Many are completely dishonest about themselves. Whatever you do, be honest and be yourself. Never meet someone without some backup nearby. Never give out your real address, phone, FB, last name, etc., they could hunt you down. Don't trust anybody, go slow, take your time, give them opportunities to trip up. do some investigating. This is a dangerous world these days. That being said, I obviously think it's okay to meet online, as long as you use caution. However, I have learned that letting God lead is better than going on the hunt yourself. I wasn't looking for a mate when I met my husband.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Back to the OP though. Do you guys think Christians should seek relationships on the internets, or is it better to be in person?
I don't see it as a Christian issue at all. Do what you feel comfortable with. And whether using life or the internet, always be wise.
If you disagree with the notion, then don't use it. But no need to trash it, either. If you're ok with it, then go ahead.
As i've stated many times in the past, traditional dating, whether meeting online or offline, doesn't appeal to me to begin with. I don't want to spend an evening wasting my time and money to sit in an uncomfortable situation with someone pretending to be better than they really are, to decide if i like them enough to do it again. Where i meet them is irrelevant.

S

Sweetmorningdew78

In my opinion there is nothing wrong about it 😊 love is often found in the most unexpected places 😊

Just a lil advice when using the internet to meet your love you need to be a bit cautious but don't be too cautious 😊 First pray...and always pray because we make good decisions when we pray.

Avoid rushing,take your time to know the person...observe his attitude(like his patience when you talk nonsense 😉 and see whether he will stay ) observe what he posts on his social media accounts (spot the weird things he posts ) because no matter how some people hide things...it might appear out of the blue 😊

And the most important is...be reasonable don't set too high standards and preferences in choosing someone to love because no one comes in a perfect package 😊 but hold on to your values.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I'm a firm believer that Japan will always be the best culture to articulate insanity. Here's the reasons you probably shouldn't seek relationships online(in this case an mmo)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Last summer at a Bible study, two of the six of us were married. One of the married gals said she met her husband online through e=harmony. They both had children and have been together now for quite a while. My son said a good Christian friend of his met his wife through Christian Singles and in fact my son met his wife online. I'm sure they all had some misses, but the hits were worth the effort. My son's wife is a good Christian gal and has hundreds of friends. They were communicating back and forth for a while and it grew into a beautiful union.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I honestly wish if I had people actually interested in me that they’d be local. It seems like guys that interest me on dating sites always tend to be like a state over :/

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014

What do you guys think?
Personally, I find the same results on Christian Sites as Secular Sites, I actually find better results using sites like meet an inmate .com, I personally think if your interested in finding someone who lives where you are, then check out the churches that share your faith. I mean if your catholic, check out the other catholic churches, or if your pentecostal, check out the pentecostal churches.
You can call and ask the churches about their ministries and programs to find things your interested in, and then check them out and you might find what your looking for that way.

H

Hamarr

I sometimes browse dating apps, but I'm not looking at dating really right now. I find a lot of the same people on the Christian ones as the other. It's kind of interesting to see how some sell themselves between different apps if I recognize certain people.

Most of the issues I have seen from dating apps seem to mostly be based on the population of users. Women get inundated with messages and there is a lot of competition. The more competition there is, the more superficial and/or entitled people get. I'm not really sure why I bother browsing. There's some level of drama there, I suppose. A lot of the profiles are so similar, including the red flags.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
some level of drama there, I s
I sometimes browse dating apps, but I'm not looking at dating really right now. I find a lot of the same people on the Christian ones as the other. It's kind of interesting to see how some sell themselves between different apps if I recognize certain people.

Most of the issues I have seen from dating apps seem to mostly be based on the population of users. Women get inundated with messages and there is a lot of competition. The more competition there is, the more superficial and/or entitled people get. I'm not really sure why I bother browsing. There's some level of drama there, I suppose. A lot of the profiles are so similar, including the red flags.
You know, maybe Christians would be wise to go off line completely, I mean it's the world who wants more technology and faster technology and convenience, why should we get caught up in their foolishness. Life was probably better before technology, because everyone was connected to those closest to themselves, and their community. I gotta admit, I kind of envy the Amish and their resistance to change.