Several years ago, I dated a woman who had a 10 year old autistic daughter. It was a really good relationship, but eventually we discovered we had different goals. After we broke up, not only did I have to deal with the loss of the relationship with the woman, but also the daughter. Even worse for me, I learned that the little girl would keep asking why I wasn't coming around anymore, and it hurt to think about. It wasn't that I didn't want to be around the daughter, but her mom was now looking for new relationships, and she felt any continued interaction would be confusing. I agreed.
Afterwards I set up a new rule for myself about dating single moms. It isn't a hard and fast rule, but I try to hold to it. I try to make sure that I limit/refrain from interaction with her child/children for the first three months of the relationship. I have decided that for me three months will let me know if a relationship has true long term potential or not so by then I will know if I want to keep pursuing the relationship. I think it protects my emotional well being as well as her child/children's well being.
How have others dealt with dating single parents? Did they have boundaries or rules about meeting his/her child? If you are a single parent, how do you set boundaries in concerning relationships and your kids? Have you ever bonded with a single parent's child then have the relationship end, and how did you deal with it?
Afterwards I set up a new rule for myself about dating single moms. It isn't a hard and fast rule, but I try to hold to it. I try to make sure that I limit/refrain from interaction with her child/children for the first three months of the relationship. I have decided that for me three months will let me know if a relationship has true long term potential or not so by then I will know if I want to keep pursuing the relationship. I think it protects my emotional well being as well as her child/children's well being.
How have others dealt with dating single parents? Did they have boundaries or rules about meeting his/her child? If you are a single parent, how do you set boundaries in concerning relationships and your kids? Have you ever bonded with a single parent's child then have the relationship end, and how did you deal with it?