Dictionary game

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
The pose of exasperation or consternation typically applying to mothers ;)

~A pose in which the elbows are facing outward with hands on hips.

~Or set in a bent position...such as legs...doubt this is used much though.

Apparently in Little Women, Louisa May Alcott applied this to Jo in respect for her arms naturally doing that a bit...gangly with a bend.
So I'm not the only one that takes words and uses them for my purposes!

Hmm...For your consideration I submit "Propound"
To suggest a theory, belief or opinion for others to consider

'collywobbles'

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
col·ly·wob·bles
/ˈkälēˌwäb(ə)lz/
noun
INFORMAL•HUMOROUS

1. stomach pain or queasiness.
    "an attack of collywobbles"
    • intense anxiety or nervousness, especially with stomach queasiness.
      "such organizations give him the collywobbles"

Was i surprised i was having collywobbles, the past week went so fast!

Okay, new word now is overweening. Got the word from Proverbs 21.24.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
col·ly·wob·bles
/ˈkälēˌwäb(ə)lz/
noun
INFORMAL•HUMOROUS

1. stomach pain or queasiness.
    "an attack of collywobbles"
    • intense anxiety or nervousness, especially with stomach queasiness.
      "such organizations give him the collywobbles"

Was i surprised i was having collywobbles, the past week went so fast!

Okay, new word now is overweening. Got the word from Proverbs 21.24.
Overweening = excessive pride or confidence. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

I was thinking this came from wean somehow.

A child is weaned therefore a mother has confidence in the child...to be overweaned = Overconfident/gorged/puerile?

NOPE lol.

~Pulchritudinous. Best compliment ever ;)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Overweening = excessive pride or confidence. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

I was thinking this came from wean somehow.

A child is weaned therefore a mother has confidence in the child...to be overweaned = Overconfident/gorged/puerile?

NOPE lol.

~Pulchritudinous. Best compliment ever ;)
Physically beautiful, comely (adj)

'Textualist'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Physically beautiful, comely (adj)

'Textualist'
A person that strictly adheres to the text. Guessed it right!!! :D

...strict adherence to the text, typically in relation to a religious text.

In regard to the law...It's someone who doesn't care what a person meant when making a law or what it was supposed to accomplish but interpretation of the textual law.

Possibly this could apply to scripture and looking at it from a head knowledge perspective. Only focusing on plainly stated meaning and not looking deeper. Not sure.

Hmm... "Vicissitude"

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
A person that strictly adheres to the text. Guessed it right!!! :D

...strict adherence to the text, typically in relation to a religious text.

In regard to the law...It's someone who doesn't care what a person meant when making a law or what it was supposed to accomplish but interpretation of the textual law.

Possibly this could apply to scripture and looking at it from a head knowledge perspective. Only focusing on plainly stated meaning and not looking deeper. Not sure.

Hmm... "Vicissitude"
A change of circumstances or fortune, esp an unpleasant one; transition of two opposite or contrasting things, such as the seasons

'Voluble'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Something I have to catch myself on...

~(of a person) Talking fluently, readily or incessantly
~(of speech) characterized by fluency and readiness of utterance (readiness of utterance gave me a giggle).

doesn't seem to have a negative context as much as garrulous...but maybe a cross between loquacious and garrulous.
Contextually I haven't ever seen this but I think I've come across it.

...Cantankerous. Ironically this was used in Shrek by donkey...was surprised when I heard it in a film tbh.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Something I have to catch myself on...

~(of a person) Talking fluently, readily or incessantly
~(of speech) characterized by fluency and readiness of utterance (readiness of utterance gave me a giggle).

doesn't seem to have a negative context as much as garrulous...but maybe a cross between loquacious and garrulous.
Contextually I haven't ever seen this but I think I've come across it.

...Cantankerous. Ironically this was used in Shrek by donkey...was surprised when I heard it in a film tbh.
Disagreeable, ill-humored, grouchy (like Statler and Waldorf-Muppets)

'Corpulent'

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Corpulent means fat

New word CHARISMATIC

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Corpulent means fat

New word CHARISMATIC
Exercising a compelling charm which inspires devotion of others; Christians of various denominations who seek an ecstatic anointed experience such as speaking in tongues and instant healing

'Munificent'

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Definition of munificent

1: very liberal in giving or bestowing...Lavish munificent donors
2: characterized by great liberality or generosity...a munificent gift

Abibliophobia

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Definition of munificent

1: very liberal in giving or bestowing...Lavish munificent donors
2: characterized by great liberality or generosity...a munificent gift

Abibliophobia
Fear of running out of things to read (that one seems hard to do where I'm at, lol)
btw, 'bibliophobia' is the fear or hatred of books

'mea culpa'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
hmm...culpa. Culpable means bearing blame/responsibility so maybe culpa is guilty?

No idea what mea means...so wild guess. You are guilty!

Wooo...mea was personal.

~an acknowledgment of one's fault or error.

latin "through my fault"

Sometimes used as a confession of sinfulness in a Roman Catholic context, it was used in the administering of penance ~wikipedia.

So I was wrong lol...more like I am guilty. I use you to mean me though...like when working through my "culpability" when there is sin. If I provided a vehicle knowing full well sin was likely to occur, I would be culpable based off my definition. Indirectly. Have had situations like this but it's a learning curve. I have spent a bit of time blaming a lot of things on my flesh and that the Lord gave it to me so it's not not my fault! Not gonna fly, sorry man. Aww....well alright I'm glad grace is a thing. Mhmmm.

Not gonna get super deep into that but ty for the phrase.

how's about a combo word. Been trying these out lately but I don't think they work all the time.

I find myself wanting "a plethora of perspicacity"

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
hmm...culpa. Culpable means bearing blame/responsibility so maybe culpa is guilty?

No idea what mea means...so wild guess. You are guilty!

Wooo...mea was personal.

~an acknowledgment of one's fault or error.

latin "through my fault"

Sometimes used as a confession of sinfulness in a Roman Catholic context, it was used in the administering of penance ~wikipedia.

So I was wrong lol...more like I am guilty. I use you to mean me though...like when working through my "culpability" when there is sin. If I provided a vehicle knowing full well sin was likely to occur, I would be culpable based off my definition. Indirectly. Have had situations like this but it's a learning curve. I have spent a bit of time blaming a lot of things on my flesh and that the Lord gave it to me so it's not not my fault! Not gonna fly, sorry man. Aww....well alright I'm glad grace is a thing. Mhmmm.

Not gonna get super deep into that but ty for the phrase.

how's about a combo word. Been trying these out lately but I don't think they work all the time.

I find myself wanting "a plethora of perspicacity"
Wow I was just watching an old tv show and the host used the word perspicacity. referring to a guy using it to meet girls in his job--I had to put it on closed caption to make sure. wow
A bountiful amount of keen and accurate perception; discernment; insight

'frippery

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Wow I was just watching an old tv show and the host used the word perspicacity. referring to a guy using it to meet girls in his job--I had to put it on closed caption to make sure. wow
A bountiful amount of keen and accurate perception; discernment; insight

'frippery
Yeah I had a Theology professor in college that had that as an exam question I'm pretty sure. "What is perspicacity of the Word?" Just sounds cool and a nice meaning.

So frippery. I did a few things while I was thinking about it. Had to have come across it somewhere because I was trying to guess and my first thought was superfluous and I pictured in my mind at the same time a "frock coat" for some reason (was thinking of uncle andrew in chronicles of Narnia). So an unnecessary frock coat lol. Not "too far off"

~a. Showy or unnecessary ornament in architecture, dress, or language
b. A tawdry or frivolous thing

a. Finery
b. something showy, frivolous or non-essential (Like uncle andrew's frock coat :p )

I suppose that could also apply to "grandiloquent" language.

Here's a word I read somewhat often as a child in regard to a room but had a hard time figuring it out in context.

Austere.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Yeah I had a Theology professor in college that had that as an exam question I'm pretty sure. "What is perspicacity of the Word?" Just sounds cool and a nice meaning.

So frippery. I did a few things while I was thinking about it. Had to have come across it somewhere because I was trying to guess and my first thought was superfluous and I pictured in my mind at the same time a "frock coat" for some reason (was thinking of uncle andrew in chronicles of Narnia). So an unnecessary frock coat lol. Not "too far off"

~a. Showy or unnecessary ornament in architecture, dress, or language
b. A tawdry or frivolous thing

a. Finery
b. something showy, frivolous or non-essential (Like uncle andrew's frock coat :p )

I suppose that could also apply to "grandiloquent" language.

Here's a word I read somewhat often as a child in regard to a room but had a hard time figuring it out in context.

Austere.
aus·tere ôˈstir
adjective
adjective austere comparative adjective austerer superlative adjective austerest
  1. severe or strict in manner, attitude, or appearance.

Here is one common on forums: Extemporaneous.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
aus·tere ôˈstir
adjective
adjective austere comparative adjective austerer superlative adjective austerest
  1. severe or strict in manner, attitude, or appearance.

Here is one common on forums: Extemporaneous.
Done, spoken, performed etc w/o special advance preparation; impromptu.

'logophile'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Done, spoken, performed etc w/o special advance preparation; impromptu.

'logophile'
I would guess someone that has an unhealthy obsession with words.

Wrong!

a lover of words.

I had presumed that phile was negative in context and I suppose that's not strictly correct, just that there are a few common examples where this is the case. I did stumble across "Logorrhea" (which is a combination of words that describes my condition at times)

Hmm... Let us engage in the great Conflate Debate! Read this article to the end if you are so inclined. This word has somehow wriggled it's way into my vocabulary as per this site and political usage. It is interesting that OED and a quick search doesn't have the newer definition but is seen a lot of places.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/conflate-vs-equate-usage-difference

~Conflate

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
I would guess someone that has an unhealthy obsession with words.

Wrong!'

a lover of words.

I had presumed that phile was negative in context and I suppose that's not strictly correct, just that there are a few common examples where this is the case. I did stumble across "Logorrhea" (which is a combination of words that describes my condition at times)

Hmm... Let us engage in the great Conflate Debate! Read this article to the end if you are so inclined. This word has somehow wriggled it's way into my vocabulary as per this site and political usage. It is interesting that OED and a quick search doesn't have the newer definition but is seen a lot of places.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/conflate-vs-equate-usage-difference

~Conflate
to fuse into one entity;merge (I don't think I would use 'equate in place of conflate myself)

'mellifluous'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
to fuse into one entity;merge (I don't think I would use 'equate in place of conflate myself)

'mellifluous'
So you would not conflate the meaning of equate? ;)

Mellifluous:

Sweet or pleasant to hear. (of voice or words)

In Latin, mel means "honey" and fluere means "to flow." Those two linguistic components flow smoothly together in mellifluus (from Late Latin) and mellyfluous (from Middle English), the ancestors of mellifluous. The adjective these days typically applies to sound, as it has for centuries.

Apparently it can also be applied to tastes...albeit rarely.

I presume melody is related. Mellifluous melody :D

Encumbered