Did God die on the cross.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Did God die on the cross

• yes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2009
Are you able to defend your accusation Watchman?
Sure i can, if you can say that the God Jesus died, but the God's the Father, or the Holy Spirit did not that is polytheism. God is one being not three, and for God to die, his whole being would have been dead, not 1/3 of it.

J

jcspartan

I am still working this out in my mind and I have no knowledge of Aramaic/Greek and no Aramaic/Greek reference materials so I will say up front this could just be fit for the manure heap but maybe something fertile will come of it.

God is infinite--absolutely infininte(1 Kings 8:22-27; Jeremiah 23:24; Psalm 102:25-27; Revelation 22:13) and therefore without measure. As opposed to practically infinite which is numerically quantifiable and at least in theory can be measured. Absolute infinity cannot be divided since it is not a number but a condition. If God is absolutely infinite then each manifestation of the God head is equally infinite since absolute infinity is not quatifiable and cannot be divided. The God head shares a divine nature and are unified in doing so. Jesus limited himself and did not use the full power of His divine nature while he walked on earth, but that is different from having less of a divine nature. Jesus dies on the cross--fully divine/fully human. His divine nature does not perish any more than our eternal spirit does not perish. If we die our spirit will spend eternity in one of two places but it does not cease to exist. What is important regarding Christ is that death had no power over Him. Even his body did not decay in its time in the tomb. His human nature died and His spirit spirit rose. It seems be possible for Christ to die physically and yet the absolutely infinite divine nature that is His Godhood live since the divine nature cannot be divided even as it manifests itself in three ways and it cannot die any more than our immortal souls do.

1 Peter 3:18-20; 4:6

3:18-20 18 For Christ [the Messiah Himself] died for sins once for all, the Righteous for the unrighteous (the Just for the unjust, the Innocent for the guilty), that He might bring us to God. In His human body He was put to death, but He was made alive in the spirit,19 in which He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 The souls of those who long before in the days of Noah had been disobedient, when God's patience waited during the building of the ark in which a few [people], actually eight in number, were saved through water.

4:6 For this is why the good news (the Gospel) was preached [in their lifetime] even to the dead, that though judged in fleshly bodies as men are, they might live in the spirit as God does.

Hebrews 9:27, 28 says, "And just as it is appointed for men to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

Acts2: 31 He, foreseeing this, spoke [by foreknowledge] of the resurrection of the Christ (the Messiah) that He was not deserted [in death] and left in Hades (the state of departed spirits), nor did His body know decay or see destruction

M

Maddog

Sure i can, if you can say that the God Jesus died, but the God's the Father, or the Holy Spirit did not that is polytheism. God is one being not three, and for God to die, his whole being would have been dead, not 1/3 of it.
I don't think that's what Peacefulcrusader was saying.

P

Peacefulcrusader

Well, you have a point there. The formulation was not good. Still, it would've been better if you had intervened in a more friendly and loving way. It is better to say that Jesus died, but not God. Still we all believe that Jesus was God. The Trinity is not easy to understand, at least not when you're trying to harmonize it when formulating what happened on the cross. Since you have taken up this matter, I would be pleased to get a good definition of this. I'm sure you would be happy to tell. :)

G

Gabriel777

God is the father, Jesus is the son. Jesus was the one that died on the cross. It was not God but Jesus His son.

cookie39

Oct 5, 2009
God is the father, Jesus is the son. Jesus was the one that died on the cross. It was not God but Jesus His son.
every human is born with a spirit, although it is dead to the knowledge of God, we all as long as we live have a spirit. keep in mind that this spirit is dead to the knowledge and presents of God.
when Jesus was born he was born with the Spirit of God; as the bible say; he has prepared a body for me.
HEBREW 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me ,
vrs.7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

John 1-2..In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
(14)..And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

"The Word" now when Jesus was on the cross, God did not die but, but he as the Spirit of Christ Jesus, he was hid from Christ when the sins of the world was put on him the simular to as it was with Adam n Eve. when they sinned, got could not relate to them nor could he see them nor them he. and with Jesus; a sheild was put there, which saperated him from the presence of God..... but God the Spirit that dwell in Jesus from birth.. was their till Jesus gave up the Ghost.....
if we think about we now who has the Spirit of God can comune with God and he with us... and when we die his Spirit as well as our spirit will leave the body and go to the Father. and say that we decide to turn and live a life of sin.. the Holy Spirit of God will leave us and our spirit will again loose contact with God ( spiritually dead). so it was with Christ on the cross... he knew when the presence of God was dead to him..I know that I hate it when I get out of the presence of God... I feel horrible... and I cry.. and beg, and if it's too long I feel I want to die. I acknowledge my spirit cause it is how I communicate with God; with the help of the Holy Spirit...but Christ was God because he had no other Spirit other than God himself.
Ok.. it's like to say when we are born, each of us have a spirit ( but dead) but when Jesus was born he was God in the flesh.. in the flesh of his Son.. he is the Spirit that gave , and is , the life in Christ.. instead of God coming in a body for himself as we have. he inpregnated Mary.. and in a way that the body be holy that he may dwell in it.. not mingled with the blood of a man.. now he is the father of this child( the body) but he is the Spirit that gave life to the Body.... for the body without the spirit is dead..... absent fron the body, present with the Lord... are scriptures to show us that Jesus or none of us can live without one. so this is how Jesus ( the Body) died and at the same time he died. God as the Spirit ( which never could die, not God's nor anyone's) separated form one. see God could not come to earth witout a body, and he knew that if he came and told the world off-hand that he was God we would not ever belive that. so he did it in the body of his Son..... and this is why those who reject his Son... reject God,,, can you see how he was able to go yhrough what he did.. God was there and he felt everthing he felt..when Jesus cried; God cried... Jesus's mind was God.. but his flesh was his own and so was his soul. but the spirit that gives life in all humans His was all God.
we know that man don't always obey his spirit, and now the Spirit of God.. and there was times when Jesus was tempted, but he chose to obey the Spirit( the Father) which he say he do what he does and what he hear the Fatheer say... he was the only one who could see God on earth cause he was God all inside him.
can any of you that are christians can here and see God? I can.. and the more and more I live the life in Christ and he in me I can hear and touch God, I see spirits.. good and evil....
hope this helps.

Glory to God in the highest, and Praise be to his Holy name

Status
Not open for further replies.