Did God lie?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pottersclay

“For thus says the Lord: ‘David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel; nor shall the priests, the Levites, lack a man to offer burnt offerings before Me, to kindle grain offerings, and to sacrifice continually.’ ”. Jer 33:17

We know about the 70 ad advent which destroyed the temple. So no more temple no more priest. What's this all about?😏😏

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
As is typical, context defines everything.

12 “This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘In this place, desolate and without people or animals—in all its towns there will again be pastures for shepherds to rest their flocks. 13 In the towns of the hill country, of the western foothills and of the Negev, in the territory of Benjamin, in the villages around Jerusalem and in the towns of Judah, flocks will again pass under the hand of the one who counts them,’ says the Lord.

14 “‘The days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah.

15 “‘In those days and at that time
I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line;
he will do what is just and right in the land.
16 In those days Judah will be saved
and Jerusalem will live in safety.
This is the name by which it[c] will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior.’

17 For this is what the Lord says: ‘David will never fail to have a man to sit on the throne of Israel, 18 nor will the Levitical priests ever fail to have a man to stand before me continually to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to present sacrifices.’”

In the context of verses 15 and 16 this is clearly a Messianic prophecy.

Aug 2, 2021
“For thus says the Lord: ‘David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel; nor shall the priests, the Levites, lack a man to offer burnt offerings before Me, to kindle grain offerings, and to sacrifice continually.’ ”. Jer 33:17

We know about the 70 ad advent which destroyed the temple. So no more temple no more priest. What's this all about?😏😏
PROMISE Fulfilled:

giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

To Him who loves us and has released us from our sins by His blood, who has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and power forever and ever! Amen.

You are worthy to take the scroll,
And to open its seals;
For You were slain,
And have redeemed us to God by Your blood
Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
And have made us kings and priests to our God;
And we shall reign on the earth.”

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

A believer should eventually come to the realization that the Israel of God is eternal.
In the Bible, David is the Son of Jesse.
Completely translated you will find that the Beloved is the Son of our Redeemer, in fact, He is our R
edeemer.
Those are the words, David and Jesse translated completely.
The Israel of God is the eternal one, not the earthly original and not the earthly one on our maps today, for that latfter has no resemblance to the forst nor to the the eternal.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Scripture says "NEVER LACK." There is no shortage of priests or men to sit on the Throne. It is just that the Throne was destroyed, and burnt offerings were replaced by Grace.
GOD DOES NOT LIE!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021

Well . . . David was the first king of independent Judah. Athaliah was the 7th king of independent Judah . . . and was female. That sure seems like a problem to me. Am I missing something, or is Athaliah in contradiction with Jer 33:17? The last time I posted about this . . . not a soul had a thing to say.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We know about the 70 ad advent which destroyed the temple. So no more temple no more priest. What's this all about?
You will need to study the book of Ezekiel (as well as all the prophets) to see that there will be a future redeemed and restored Israel, Jerusalem, the temple, and the throne of David AFTER the Second Coming of Christ. This will be under the New Covenant, since redeemed Israelites (the twelve tribes) will experience the New Birth. But only God can tell us how He will reconcile what seems to be in conflict to Christians.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021

If you back up to 33:14, you will see that the Lord has promised Israel and Judah "that good thing."

In vs 15, the Lord will cause "the Branch of Righteousness to grow up under David."

This "Branch" is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ, who God said would sit on the throne of David.

In vs 16, the Jews are saved and dwell safely. Then we come to vs 17. Clearly this is speaking of the millennial reign of Christ.

Ezekiel and Zechariah said that the sacrificial system of the Law would return and the Jews would be the priests during this 1000 years.

Zechariah said the Feast of tabernacles would be reinstated, and Ezekiel told us the exact procedure of the priests during this time.

Jer. 33:17 is referring to the future reign of Christ and the return of the sacrificial system. Many believe that David himself in his glorified body will rule under Christ during this time from Jerusalem.

P

pottersclay

Great, great responses saints.

Now I have 2 more question to ask.
What are the priestley duties? Do you know your priestly duties?
Christ is the high priest but we become priest in the kingdom. Spiritual priest called to preform the duties of a priest.
To say this is only for Israel well then I think you've been misinformed. The church stands in the gap untill the king arrives.
Time of the gentiles ( the age of grace) is running out
I encourage you to see what priestly duties were and compare them to our calling. You might be surprised.

Aidan1

Mar 17, 2021
PROMISE Fulfilled:

giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

To Him who loves us and has released us from our sins by His blood, who has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and power forever and ever! Amen.

You are worthy to take the scroll,
And to open its seals;
For You were slain,
And have redeemed us to God by Your blood
Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
And have made us kings and priests to our God;
And we shall reign on the earth.”
Nope, the prophecie which Oncefallen mentioned is not fulfilled yet!

Aug 2, 2021
Nope, the prophecie which Oncefallen mentioned is not fulfilled yet!
Did i say all prophecies???

God fulffilled His Promise to raise up from the Seed of David a Eternal King, who is now seated as King at the Right Hand of the Father.

All prophecies will be fulfilled in their time according to the will of the Father.

You need to walk in the ones that God has already kept for us.
Faith unto Faith is our walk with Him on the Path of Truth.

Read John chapter 17 today.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Great, great responses saints.

Now I have 2 more question to ask.
What are the priestley duties? Do you know your priestly duties?
Christ is the high priest but we become priest in the kingdom. Spiritual priest called to preform the duties of a priest.
To say this is only for Israel well then I think you've been misinformed. The church stands in the gap untill the king arrives.
Time of the gentiles ( the age of grace) is running out
I encourage you to see what priestly duties were and compare them to our calling. You might be surprised.
The priest's duty was to act as mediators between the people and God. They took the sacrifices to offer them to God. Their sacrifices were the promises of Christ, now we have the reality of Christ as the sacrifice.

"At that time the LORD separated the tribe of Levi to bear the ark of the covenant of the LORD, to stand before the LORD to minister to Him and to bless in His name, to this day. Therefore Levi has no portion nor inheritance with his brethren; the LORD is his inheritance, just as the LORD your God promised him" (Deuteronomy 10:8-9).

Aidan1

Mar 17, 2021
Did i say all prophecies???

God fulffilled His Promise to raise up from the Seed of David a Eternal King, who is now seated as King at the Right Hand of the Father.

All prophecies will be fulfilled in their time according to the will of the Father.

You need to walk in the ones that God has already kept for us.
Faith unto Faith is our walk with Him on the Path of Truth.

Read John chapter 17 today.
I said merely that the prophecie which Oncefallen mentioned is not yet fulfilled. Because you wrote: promise fulfilled!

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
How would animal sacrifice come back along with Levitical priests and it not be COMPLETELY Anti-Christ???

Hasn't Christ fulfilled this? How does it become "un" fulfilled?

It doesn't. It can't.

Luke 24:44-45
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Ephesians 1:17-23
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
[

the ot was conditional based on what the people did the leviticle preists abode over Moses law

“Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day:

And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭11:26-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when you get into latter prophecy you have to follow what israel did to find out what they chose even there in Jeremiah it was God calling them to repentance to return to the law but they never did so later in prophecy you see him addressing. The leviticle order of priests you can see how it began with Levi a godly man who upheld the covenant but then you see the decline and curse come

note how it’s still based on thier response just as it was given

“And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the Lord of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the Lord of hosts. My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name. The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.

For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.

But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the Lord of hosts. Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law.”
‭‭Malachi‬ ‭2:1-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Gods solution was to send Jesus who would purify the levites if they received him but if they rejected him that curse would come

“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth?

for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.”
‭‭Malachi‬ ‭3:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.”
‭‭Malachi‬ ‭4:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

now consider what the preists did when the messiah came

this is just one of many examples in the gospel of what the Levite preists we’re doing

“And the chief priests and all the council sought for witness against Jesus to put him to death; and found none.

…But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses? Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭14:55, 61-64‬ ‭KJV‬‬

rather than accepting the messiah and being purified they rejected him and killed him that was the last straw and nomination of desolation that left Israel’s temple and priesthood desolate and required a new priesthood which was always foretold

“But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.

But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.

When the Lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭21:37-43‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Each ot prophecy doesn’t exist in a vacuum they are all founded on the old covenant when promising Israel’s restoration it was always based on what they did when the messiah came and what they had already done all along

they chose the curse of the covenant

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭24:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they could have blessed the earth and set Israel as the chief nation of this world but they chose the curse instead ultimately the priests were meant to keep the people in the way but they themselves didn’t keep the law and over time they became preists of false gods which the people worshipped even Aaron remember built a golden calf for worship

keiw

Jan 6, 2022

Possibly God was referring to Gods chosen, saying house of Israel. God did make certain things hard to understand some real meanings behind the words used. Like Revelation 13--there wont be a monster, but just clever use of words there that have real meaning.