Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Bearing False Witness? Please show the words where "all you people" are pushing the Law as a means of righteousness" If you do not then I call you out as a FALSE ACCUSER who stoops to FALSE WITNESSING to push his doctrine.
False witness. Did I name you by name? Or do you have a guilty conscience??

A means of righteousness. Do you even know what that means? Did I say a means of salvation? Or a means of christian Growth. Or a means of becoming more christlike? Or did I say something that encompassed all or parts of those things? I mean do you really want me to find them? I can but it would be a waste of time.

PS. Why did you not refute what I said? is it because you know deep inside. That MOSES, PAUL and even PETER confirmed what I said was true?

E

eternally-gratefull

It is up to EG to back up His accusations which the "all you people" bent over backwards to insure he knew otherwise. I am calm, but he had better not be because he has done evil. He alone must either prove his accusations or admit their falsity and whatever is required.
Dude, You better back up. Because quite a few people (miss Deighann herself being included) in here bore false witness and you never said a word to them.

I did not bear false witness. What I said was a fact.

E

eternally-gratefull

You can deal with this now or go to sleep on it. Your opportunity is now, otherwise I am signing off, it's late.........
Nothing to deal with.

What I said was a fact.

People who push the law as a means of living righteous lives, are the people I spoke of. And there are many here. Whether you agree or not is beside the epoint. And there are many here. And I never named Names, If it is not you. Then it was not directed to you.

The fact your focused on that and not the MEAT of my post is worrysome

I hope you slept well.

May 1, 2019
The Strongs Concordance has a Lexicon in the back of it. The Lexicon is a dictionary and is very useful for us average folk.

Here is his entry in respects to pisteuo
πιστεύω
pisteuō
pist-yoo'-o
From G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), that is, credit; by implication to entrust (especially one’s spiritual well being to Christ): - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

It says the same thing you are my friend. As you probably know Fidelity is the quality or state of being faithful. In other words To have faith in, upon or with respect to a person place or thing. The fact that it is a verb the Strongs lexicon does not note. But it does give us from where the word is derived. It comes from 4102. Let's take a look at that to find out what this faith is that we are suppose to have in Christ.

πίστις
pistis
pis'-tis
From G3982; persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself: - assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

Once again we can note that the Strongs does not note the part of speech. However pistis is a noun. A state of being. It is our persuasion, credence our Moral conviction. In other words this state of being governs who we are. Or dare I say is part of who we are since we are typically motivated by our persuasions; our morals in which we have been convicted of, live through.

It also has a root word in which it is from. This primary word is G3982. Let's take a look.

πείθω
peithō
pi'-tho
A primary verb; to convince (by argument, true or false); by analogy to pacify or conciliate (by other fair means); reflexively or passively to assent (to evidence or authority), to rely (by inward certainty): - agree, assure, believe, have confidence, be (wax) content, make friend, obey, persuade, trust, yield.

What do you see?

Greetings lightbearer,

Nicely laid out.

What I see, I see through the light and darkness from many sources. What I mean is that the light of the truth is like a webwork of inter-connectivity, sometimes context, sometimes consistency or unchangeability of conviction of God past-present-future, personal interaction with he Holy Spirit when I read the scripture and feel His joy as I read through the commandments and where men honor righteousness, or where men humble themselves and repent and return to righteousness all focusing the light upon Gods laws and how they bring LIFE to all who through the Holy Spirit embrace the absolute power to revive individuals, families, communities, Nations even the world! And then I see those whose lives are lawless, dark, chaotic, without fear of God and I see death, sadness, separation from God. When the adversary wishes to steal, kill and destroy he does so in a singular manner that is to separate men from their desire/commitment to obey Gods laws. Over and over and over again he succeeds in convincing men through whatever weakness they have, and we all have them whether it is lust of the flesh, lust of the eye or pride of life (1Jn 2:16). Do they die eternally? Well who would want to find out?! If they fall into lawlessness are they forever lost if they were once saved? Who would want to find out? Do I blame a parent for wanting to hope their child is not lost? Not me, but Jesus had words about this that they will have to face the import of;
Mat 10:37 KJV He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
I do not wish that trial on anyone!

The whole duty of man has never changed nor will it;

Ecc 12:13-14 KJV Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (14) For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

So Fidelity is an amazing word! When you pointed out its relationship to "Faithfulness" I gasped! In astonishment of the connection that makes to the entire spirit of the matter! It completes a circle of connection that the Greek, Olde English, New English and our plain old ignorance have left for us to reconnect, at least for me it does.

Thank You

May 1, 2019
what e g said was true. you people attach keeping the Law of Moses along with the jewish Sabbath as part of salvation through faith in Christ, and it is not.

I do not think you and some others are meaning anything negative, but what you think is wrong.

it is very simple. when a person truly believes in Christ, then that person receives the Holy Sprit. then that person should consistently ( not perfectly , but consistently ) manifest the Fruits of the Sprit. and, what is not listed as a Fruit of the Spirt ? Sabbath keeping.

so, there you go. e g owes you nothing. you owe yourself a major change in theology. leave Sinai. come to Mt. Zion.
Read my words in the spirit they are given; I appreciate what seems to be a respectful tone for the most part and I ask in the same manner; Are you saying that "I attach keeping the Law of Moses along with the jewish Sabbath as part of salvation"? please cite where I said that!

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
what e g said was true. you people attach keeping the Law of Moses along with the jewish Sabbath as part of salvation through faith in Christ, and it is not.
Please tell me where I have ever stated either keeping the law of Moses or the Jewish Sabbath have anything to do with salvation. As a matter of fact I have consistently stated that keeping the law has Nothing to do with salvation or righteousness or being justified or getting favored treatment or anything "extra". I am a part of the "YOU PEOPLE". As a matter of fact I would appreciate you point out a single post from anyone stating that salvation can be got "through the law" because I missed it.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Well put! The ones that know and keep His commands, those are His Brothers and Sisters and Mother etc. Nice to be in that company!
In these discussion people lose sight of its centre.
Loving God with everything we are, and loving our neighbour as ourselves.

It sounds like some seem to want to claim this is impossible.
Did Peter, John and Paul not have the blessing of God and call us to do these very things?

Did they not all have struggles yet overcame in faith?

So the spirit which speaks against love speaks against God.

I have found some desperately claim talking about love is a cover for corruption and deception.
On this basis Jesus was corrupt and deceiving.

It is true the world betrays the love we are born with, and it is this betrayal we use as an excuse
to sin and hurt others. So we should respond in repentance and sorrow, that we are guilty of betrayal
of the very love Jesus gives us, and we need to learn how to love through and in Him.

The folk who oppose this will use words like drivel, false teaching, dooming people to hell, being
possessed or inspired by evil spirits. Now this is very odd, because no believer can talk against love
because God is love. But this is love with boundaries, limits, care, holiness, justice, truth and honesty.
This is not love betrayed or vulnerable people exploited, or sexual seduction of the innocent. And it is
true many have used the aspiration of love to destroy and abuse others, but these are people who have
been corrupted by needs, and use the weakness of others for their own ends.

Jesus calls us to know people and help build them up as brothers and sisters, parents and children, in purity
and holiness, knowing we are an eternal people, the elect walking in the Kingdom.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Read my words in the spirit they are given; I appreciate what seems to be a respectful tone for the most part and I ask in the same manner; Are you saying that "I attach keeping the Law of Moses along with the jewish Sabbath as part of salvation"? please cite where I said that!
well, let's start with your statement that " Jesus is the Law ".

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Please tell me where I have ever stated either keeping the law of Moses or the Jewish Sabbath have anything to do with salvation. As a matter of fact I have consistently stated that keeping the law has Nothing to do with salvation or righteousness or being justified or getting favored treatment or anything "extra". I am a part of the "YOU PEOPLE". As a matter of fact I would appreciate you point out a single post from anyone stating that salvation can be got "through the law" because I missed it.
i asked you a couple of days ago if one has to keep the Sabbath to be saved, or not.

you never answered .

May 1, 2019
well, let's start with your statement that " Jesus is the Law ".

Okay;

So;

Heb 13:8 KJV Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

and;

Joh 8:58 KJV Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

and

Exo 3:13-14 KJV And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? (14) And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

The moral laws clearly emanate from His Character. Whose character? "I AM" WHo is "The "I AM"? Jesus. So the moral laws are essentially Jesus. You may argue this and that is your choice, but I see it like this. That's why Jesus clarified that the only way to "LOVE" Him was to "Know" and "Keep" His commandments! John 14:21, because the two are one and the same.

What is wrong with loving Jesus? And, where did I say this is linked to salvation?

May 1, 2019
i asked you a couple of days ago if one has to keep the Sabbath to be saved, or not.

you never answered .

What if someone does not appreciate the tone of your question? Is it proper to shame them until they answer? I know personally that many see your questions like a nail on the end of a bat you are swinging. There are better ways to ask.

U

UnderGrace

What if someone does not appreciate the tone of your question? Is it proper to shame them until they answer? I know personally that many see your questions like a nail on the end of a bat you are swinging. There are better ways to ask.
Here,

Mr. SimpleGardner what role does the "keeping of the Sabbath" have in the life of the believer?

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Does believing the Law is Dead mean you have no moral compass at all? How many times must we be falsely accused? How many times must we say it before it is heard? Maybe in an easy to follow list.

1. Salvation can only come from faith and belief in Christ and the work done on the Cross. I understand and hold these gifts most precious, The Grace of God given to me a sinner and faith, as is reckoned to one for righteousness.

2. Jesus changed the Mosaic law by cutting it into pieces, some of the laws and statutes and ordinances were made obsolete by nailing them to the Cross. These are ALL the Blood laws. Instead of us having year after year after year sacrificing animals for the covering of our sins, JESUS, THE PERFECT LAMB OF GOD did it THE ONE FINAL TIME GOD WAS EVER GOING TO REQUIRE it because GOD doesn't want our sacrifice, He wants our love, and I love Him with all my heart and soul above all, everything, everyone.

3. Another piece of the Mosaic law that was changed by our Lord Christ Jesus was having a priest as our mediator. Jesus is now everyone's. The Lambs blood washes us clean through that we can speak to God.

4. Because of the Sacrifice of Jesus, we hope for salvation washed clean as if we had never sinned, the sins repented of blotted out of the Books never to be remembered again. Through His walk, I see a better way to walk my life. His work, not ours that door is opened and there is no other way in. His Laws written upon my heart and mind guide me through this world where the prince of the power of the air reigns and is looking to deceive me in any way he can, knowing his most deceiving ways will come through the pulpits. His laws keep my eyes clear. They keep my footsteps safe. They bring me comfort, His yoke so very lite.

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Psalm 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Psalm 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Psalm 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

5. We have complete faith in the Lord and our faith only grows as we read and study and follow the Word. Faith without works is dead, A belief I strongly hold to as put forth

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

6. I look to the Holy Spirt to direct my life always in ways that make me most acceptable to God every moment of every day.

7. I do not accept the law holding any place other than a place of honor and respect for the guidance I need and want to live with with in this flesh. Having a love of Christs natural laws not only in my mind but especially upon my heart is one of the best gifts ever given me.

What makes me sad is those who do not feel its love also.

BUT as for the food laws. They are not a sin unto death. But they weren't changed. For them to have been changed one of two things would have had to have happened.

1. Our bodies changed

or

2. The scavengers did

And since that didn't happened they are still in effect.

So after dedicating pages and pages and pages to the difference between CLEAN and Clean the earth animals We are presented with the clean the earth don't eat animals coming down on the sheet that 1. were never eaten 2. used to make a point of not calling man common (the men arriving at the door)

Foods that were created to be received CLEAN, thank you
Foods that were created not to be received CLEAN THE EARTH, thank you

But I will not judge
Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

SABBATH DAYS?? NO WAY

I certainly hope this clears up what I should and what I should not be accused of in the future. I will take it to mean it is an intentional attack after this. If in some post I have stated something contrary please let me know and I will post a retraction and a apology immediately. May God Bless all His children.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019

you never answered .
I told you I rested in Jesus every day. But are you to judge me in Sabbath days? Would that be like judging me in meats and drink and respect of an holyday? is that a bait question?

Please read my post directly above.

U

UnderGrace

Bad tone UG, regroup and try again. yours sounds like a bat with two nails!
But I was smiling so nicely the whole time. :)
Okay so I have never been asked the question....but here is my answer

None

Do you agree or disagree?
Why is it so hard to answer?

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
The law was changed when the priesthood was! Hebrews:
11Now if perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on this basis the people received the law), why was there still need for another priest to appear—one in the order of Melchizedek and not in the order of Aaron? 12For when the priesthood is changed, the Law must be changed as well.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Mr. SimpleGardner what role does the "keeping of the Sabbath" have in the life of the believer?
Have you not read? or have you no rules?

But I will not judge
Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019

you never answered .
Friday at 12:14 PM
#1,271
gb9 said:
me also. but, that does not answer the question. Shabbat or not? requirement or not?
I believe that my rest in Christ answers that question. I believe my answer lies with in the Spirit of the Law. It does for me. I hope you can respect that. Are you looking to find out if I believe it is within the letter of the law? Do you? Is it a requirement for you or not?
This was my answer then, as this is my answer now. So you see I DID ANSWER.