Did Jesus rise from the dead on the third day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
This might seem like an unnecessary question because of 1 Corinthians 15:4 but please bear with me.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I'm seeing a pattern of you asking questions with clear, easy answers, and then not responding to your own threads.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It could be a learning technique. I can see anyone posing a question wanting to learn from others, being humble not daring to augment what those whom he or she deems wiser has posted……….

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This might seem like an unnecessary question because of 1 Corinthians 15:4 but please bear with me.
Joined in Sep, 2012 and ONLY have 65 posts?

I'm seeing a little used substitute Screen Name when you want to fly under the radar...............is that about right?

:)

don't matter to me............and, it ain't against the Rules.............soooooo

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus spent 3 nights and 3 days in the tomb.. and he did rise from the dead the third day.. Why are you asking these questions ?

Sep 24, 2012
Jesus spent 3 nights and 3 days in the tomb.. and he did rise from the dead the third day.. Why are you asking these questions ?
If this is the right way to describe it... I'm working out my faith. Why am I getting criticism or whatever it is? Are questions no longer treated as questions? Is asking a question that is fundamental now something to be treated with disdain? I asked that people bear with me... and I would still appreciate answers to my question.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The 3 days and 3 nights was a typical idiom of the time. The meaning was any portion of any part of a day. There was a portion of day 1, the entire day 2, and a portion of day 3.

There is no way that it is supposed to be precisely 72 hours to the millisecond. That is unscriptural, impossible and not the intent of the verbiage.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013

Most people do not study Judaism, and therefore their INSIGHT is limited. They take this verse, and assume it is talking about JESUS being crucified on Friday, when HE WAS NOT.

John 19:31 (HCSB)
31 Since it was the preparation day, the Jews did not want the bodies to remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a special day). They requested that Pilate have the men’s legs broken and that ⌊their bodies⌋ be taken away.

HOW MANY SABBATHS ARE THERE DURING THE WEEK OF PASSOVER? That is not a trick questions, but only when you study Judaism will you LEARN the Truth. There are 2 Sabbaths during almost every Passover Week. Only when the Jewish calendar (not the same as a Julian Calendar) rotates so that the SEVENTH DAY OF PASSOVER, which is also called a SABBATH, falls on Saturday, is there NOT 2 Sabbaths during the Passover Week.

When the SEVENTH DAY OF PASSOVER, A HIGH HOLY DAY also CALLED A SABBATH. WHEN IT FALLS ON FRIDAY, the Day of Preparation (when the Food for the SABBATHS must be Prepared is THURSDAY). They have to make enough food for BOTH OF THE SABBATHS BACK TO BACK. Yes, I know that there is differences of opinions on which day JESUS was Crucified, BUT THIS ONE MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME. Therefore, JESUS had to be Crucified on the Day of Preparation, Thursday, followed by BACK to BACK Sabbaths.

Remember THEY WERE IN SUCH A HURRY TO GET THE BODY DOWN FROM THE CROSS, that they DID NOT have time to wrap the required SPICES in the Linen Shroud, and therefore the women would come back AFTER THE BACK to BACK SABBATHS early on Sunday Morning on the Day after the Weekly Sabbath to put the required spices in the Shroud. SO IT WAS RIGHT AT SUNDOWN ON THURSDAY, WHEN HE WAS LAID IN THE TOMB.

NOW COUNT THE DAYS, and remember that IN JUDAISM A DAY BEGINS AT SUNDOWN, AND ANY PART OF A DAY ALSO COUNTS AS A WHOLE DAY. I will also count the way we are used to in order to count it, even though Sundown Thursday is actually Friday according to the JEWS.

ONE NIGHT - STARTING THURSDAY AT SUNDOWN
ONE DAY - FRIDAY SABBATH (SEVENTH DAY OF PASSOVER)
TWO NIGHTS - STARTING FRIDAY AT SUNDOWN
TWO DAYS - SATURDAY (THE WEEKLY SABBATH)
THREE NIGHTS - STARTING SATURDAY AT SUNDOWN
THREE DAYS - AND REMEMBER IN JUDAISM ANY PART OF A DAY, COUNTS AS A WHOLE DAY.

So the women came with their Spices "Very Early in the Morning", and the Angels appeared to them.

Luke 24:1-6 (NIV)
1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb,
3 but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them.
5 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead?
6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee:

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
If this is the right way to describe it... I'm working out my faith. Why am I getting criticism or whatever it is? Are questions no longer treated as questions? Is asking a question that is fundamental now something to be treated with disdain? I asked that people bear with me... and I would still appreciate answers to my question.
You've had some answers but here is one more. shortest versioin!
Thursday, the cross, buried in tomb
Friday, passover, still in tomb
Saturday, still in tomb

If you are wondering about Thursday because it was late in the day for burial, Jews considered any part of a day as a whole day.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
You've had some answers but here is one more. shortest versioin!
Thursday, the cross, buried in tomb
Friday, passover, still in tomb
Saturday, still in tomb

If you are wondering about Thursday because it was late in the day for burial, Jews considered any part of a day as a whole day.

Your version makes it 4 days and 3 nights, so HE HAD TO BEEN laid in the TOMB at SUNSET Thursday, that START OF A NEW DAY.

Matthew 12:40 (HCSB)
40 For as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish three days and three nights, so the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth
three days and three nights.

The DARK HOUR man has ever KNOWN.

BUT SUNDAY IS COMING!

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
VCO, there could be no burial on Passover Friday.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
VCO, there could be no burial on Passover Friday.
The Body was laid at SUNDOWN Thursday. My guess it was EXACTLY SUNDOWN. FRIDAY according to the JEWISH Calendar, would be Sundown on Thursday according to the Julian Calendar.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The Body was laid at SUNDOWN Thursday. My guess it was EXACTLY SUNDOWN. FRIDAY according to the JEWISH Calendar, would be Sundown on Thursday according to the Julian Calendar.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday are still THREE days buried. Looks like we are saying the same thing.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Christ Jesus died at about 3PM per Mark 15.....

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
GraceAndTruth listen:

UNLESS I MISUNDERSTOOD YOU?

LOOK AT MY FIRST POST, you had implied that HE COULD HAVE BEEN PLACED IN THE GRAVE Late in the afternoon on Thursday before Sundown, AND NOT AT SUNDOWN.

THINK.

You are not adding it right.

Thursday after noon is DAY ONE.
Friday is DAY TWO.
Saturday is DAY THREE.
and any part of the NIGHT is DAY 4, or EVEN a few minutes after Sunrise.

EVEN if the Ladies were on there way to the TOMB at SUNRISE, how long before they COULD GATHER THE SPICES, from a vendor, if they did not have them on hand, and they walk to the TOMB. May 15 Minutes if they had the Spices on hand, and maybe 30 minutes if the Vendor OPENED AT SUNRISE. REMEMBER THE SABBATH LAW WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THEM FROM BUYING SPICES UNTIL SUNDAY MORNING.

DAY is a 24 hour period,
NIGHT is Sundown to Sunrise.

No, they Dropped HIS corpse in the TOMB exactly at SUNDOWN, or you ADD another DAY.

SEE HOW ACCURATE HIS PROPHESIES ARE? AMAZING!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Joined in Sep, 2012 and ONLY have 65 posts?

I'm seeing a little used substitute Screen Name when you want to fly under the radar...............is that about right?

:)

don't matter to me............and, it ain't against the Rules.............soooooo
This member is mot exactly prolific. I can write 65 posts in one day. The member can simply read a little bible to get the answer or if a little lazy just google it.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Has anyone noticed that ALL THE EUROPEAN ARTIST got the Nail marks in the HANDS of JEWS, when ONLY in JEWISH Tradition, the Wrists are PART OF THE HAND. Why is that significant? Because nail in the palm of Jesus, would have TORN RIGHT THROUGH THE FLESH. While Nails in the wrists would have held the weight of a man.

Here are artists that have the NAILS in the Correct position:

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Noted above by cv5: Christ Jesus died at about 3PM per Mark 15.....

He dies at 3pm (Thurs) there is an earthquake & as He passes thru the Veil in the Temple it's torn in 1/2. Forget about his body, he's not in it. He's in the Heart of the earth right at 3pm Thurs

Remember scripture say's: 3 days (12 hrs) & 3 nights (12 hrs). Evening aprox 7pm in Israel. And their days begin with evening.

So, Thurs 3 pm until evening on Fri = 1 day

Fri evening 1 night, Fri morning 2nd day. (Passover sabbath)

Sat evening 2 night, Sat morning 3rd day (regular sabbath)

Sun evening 3rd night. That's 3 day's & 3 nights, When the women show up in the morning HE'S GONE!

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
FUMBLE! My apology... Timeline correction for post #19 avove:

Matt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Remember scripture say's: 3 days (12 hrs) & 3 nights (12 hrs). in the heart of the earth.

Evening aprox 6pm in Israel. And their days begin with evening.

Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
(NOTE: 9th hour)

Christ dies aprox 3pm on Wed. There is an earthquake & as He passes thru the Veil in the Temple, it's torn in 1/2. Forget about his body, he's not in it. He's in the Heart of the earth right at 3pm Wed

Wed Morning from 3 pm until Thurs evening 6 pm = 1 day

Thur evening (6 pm til 6am) 1 night, Fri morning (6 am til 6pm) 2nd day. (Passover sabbath)

Fri evening (6 pm til 6am) 2 night, Sat morning (6 am til 6pm) 3rd day (regular sabbath)

Sun evening (6 pm til 6am) 3rd night. That's 3 day's & 3 nights, When the women show up in the morning HE'S GONE!