Disputed Passages

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 4, 2012
Peter says he bore our sins in his flesh. Peter draws this idea from Isaiah 53:4 "Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted."
Figurative language. Do you think sin is something that can be transferred to another person. That would make it either a substance or a spirit. The former makes no sense to me, and the latter touches on blasphemy IMO to say that Christ became satan (who is sin).

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Figurative language. Do you think sin is something that can be transferred to another person. That would make it either a substance or a spirit. The former makes no sense to me, and the latter touches on blasphemy IMO to say that Christ became satan (who is sin).
There is nothing figurative about it. You are reasoning dyadically. Scripture is quite clear that Jesus bore our sins for us in his flesh. Whether or not we understand how this is possible does not diminish the fact. I do not have to understand how God accomplished in order to believe he did. Christ bore our sin in his flesh on the cross, not symbolically but in actually. If Christ did not bear our sins, who did?

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
There is nothing figurative about it. You are reasoning dyadically. Scripture is quite clear that Jesus bore our sins for us in his flesh. Whether or not we understand how this is possible does not diminish the fact. I do not have to understand how God accomplished in order to believe he did. Christ bore our sin in his flesh on the cross, not symbolically but in actually. If Christ did not bear our sins, who did?
You do not see a major difference in saying: He bore my sin - and: He actually became my sin?

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
You do not see a major difference in saying: He bore my sin - and: He actually became my sin?
There is no difference. He either did or he didn't. Christ is the reality, not the symbolic. What he does, he does as the fulfilment of the all OT typology. This is the book of Hebrews.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Hey, if I am joking and hit the misspelling emoji/like button, that doesn't take away from someone in any way does it? Because I will probably be hitting it every six seconds when talking with EG...:LOL:

J

joefizz

The thing I find interesting about those who embrace the long ending of Mark and that push it like a religious creed....they will claim the first two aspects, but NEVER have the faith to drink a cup of bleach to PROVE their faith.....
As usual you are "terrible" brother D lol!

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
There is no difference. He either did or he didn't. Christ is the reality, not the symbolic. What he does, he does as the fulfilment of the all OT typology. This is the book of Hebrews.
You do not see a difference in meaning if I say, in English:

You bore my nasty temper
You became my nasty temper

or

you bore my bad breath
you became my bad breath

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I think that Christ bore our sins figuratively. How could he bear a disobedience?

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I think that Christ bore our sins figuratively. How could he bear a disobedience?
I agree. It's the same difference as in 2 Cor 5:21. Was Christ "made sin", or was he "made a sin offering"?

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
"He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed." 1Peter 2:24. Peter is not speaking metaphorically here. He is offering a statement of fact. This is not symbolic or figurative language.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
"He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed." 1Peter 2:24. Peter is not speaking metaphorically here. He is offering a statement of fact. This is not symbolic or figurative language.
Yes, He bore our sins - bore the penalty for our sins, our sins were paid for by Him. This doesn't mean He turned into my sin. He didn't become my sin - He paid for my sin in His body, bore the punishment I deserved.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Can you explain the particulars as to how he bore them? Were they strapped to his back? How big (volume-wise) is a sin?

Sorry for being facetious, but how could he literally bear sins...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Can you explain the particulars as to how he bore them? Were they strapped to his back? How big (volume-wise) is a sin?

Sorry for being facetious, but how could he literally bear sins...
His Father imputed them to Him. The Father then imputed to us His righteousness.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015

If you were drinking and got caught speeding and I was not drunk and I said, quick, change seats with me - I would receive a speeding ticket in my own name. I bore your lawbreaking. I did not suddenly become drunk. I bore the penalty so you would not have to. That's not figurative. I literally accepted to take the punishment that should have been yours. But I did not become drunkenness!

J

joefizz

Hey, if I am joking and hit the misspelling emoji/like button, that doesn't take away from someone in any way does it? Because I will probably be hitting it every six seconds when talking with EG...:LOL:
Gasp I just noticed....
You're stunned by "grace" and he's Eternal "grace"!
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:unsure::unsure::unsure:

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
If you were drinking and got caught speeding and I was not drunk and I said, quick, change seats with me - I would receive a speeding ticket in my own name. I bore your lawbreaking. I did not suddenly become drunk. I bore the penalty so you would not have to. That's not figurative. I literally accepted to take the punishment that should have been yours. But I did not become drunkenness!
Agreed. Christ paid the penalty (death) for our sins. He became the sin offering for our sins.

He did not "become sin".

I'm outa here for awhile....

CS1

May 23, 2012
The long ending of Mark.

That fact that it is in the bible is significant yet it lacks early manuscript authority. Has it been added? How do we incorporate it into the canon of scripture?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
is that Mark 16 was added or that the time frame of the KJV was a later date ? Textus Receptus was manuscripts dating after 500AD. We know other manuscripts were written before 500 AD

example :

this chart is ok but please verify :
MANUSCRIPT
PASSAGES
DATE OF ORIGINAL
DATE OF MANUSCRIPT
APPROXIMATE TIME SPAN
P52 (John Rylands Fragment)

John 18.31-33; 37-38
~96 AD
~125 AD
~29 years
P90 (Oxyrhynchus)
John 18.36-19.7
~96 AD
~150-200 AD
~50-100 years
P104 (Oxyrhynchus)
Matthew 21.34-37, 43, 45
~60-65 AD
~150-200 AD
~90-140 years
P98 (IFAO)[1]
Revelation 1.13-2.1
~90 AD
~150-200 AD
~50-100 years
P46 (Chester Beatty Papyrus)
Romans 5.17-6.3,
5-14; 8.15-25, 27-35; 10.1-11.22, 24-33, 35; 16.1-23, 25-27; Hebrews;
1 & 2 Corinthians; Ephesians; Galatians; Philippians; Colossians;
1 Thessalonians 1.1,
9-10; 2.1-3; 5.5-9,
23-28

50’s-70’s AD
~200 AD
~150 years
P66 (Bodmer Papyrus)
John 1.1-6.11, 6.35-14.26; fragment of 14.29-21.9
70’s AD
~200 AD
~130 years
P67 [2]
Matthew 3.9, 15; 5.20-22; 25-28
~60-65 AD
~200 AD
~140 years

AS WE study we have understanding it is along process to bring together the manuscripts . Textus Receptus was a later dated manuscripts. So the criticism is well founded however, is the authorial intent changed? Does the Textus Receptus or has the it been used by God? Is Jesus Lord? did He die ? Did He raise again? Is His Deity defined? Is salvation proclaimed? Is Jesus shown to be the only way of Salvation?

YES on all accounts​