Divorce 101

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
A collection of verses under the New Covenant:

Luke 16
“Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Matthew 5
“Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Genesis 2
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Matthew 19
The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?”
4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who [a]made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”
8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
10 His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”
11 But He said to them, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: 12 For there are [c]eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”

1 Corinthians 7
10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I [a]ordain in all the churches. 18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.
27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment—and I think I also have the Spirit of God.

Romans 7
Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law [a]has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.

>Marriage is a correlation to the covenant we are in with the Lord.
>Jesus is our Groom, we are the Bride. Jesus is our husband, we are His wife.
>Breaking covenant in marriage is called Adultery
>Breaking covenant with the Lord (as Israel did) is ALSO called Adultery.

>Question: Do you honour the covenant you have with your wife/husband in the same way that you view your covenant with God? Do you value them both? Do you consider both lightly? Do you say God will never leave or forsake you, yet you consider this not as important in your dealings and consideration of your own spouse? Food for thought.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why do Christians divorce?
Good question. Many reasons. Only God knows if they are genuine Christians.

What does the Bible say about Marriage, Divorce And Remarriage?

1. Marriage is between a man and a woman
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. (Gen 2:21-24)
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mt 19:4-6)

2. Marriage is until death of a spouse
The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth;
but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. (1 Cor 7:39)
For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. (Rom 7:2,3)

3. Marriage is honorable and the norm for all
Marriage is honourable in all
, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. (Heb 13:4)
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. (Prov 18:22)
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. (1 Cor 7:1,2)
I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully. (1 Tim 5:14)

4. The single state is the exception, and forbidding to marry is demonic
His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry. But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. (Mt 19:10-12)
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (1 Tim 4:1-3)

5. Christians are to marry Christians, not unbelievers
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (2 Cor 6:14-16)

6. God hates divorce
For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away
: for [one] covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. (Mal 2:16)
And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. (1 Cor 7:10,11)

7. God allows divorce for one reason only

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give [it] in her hand, and send her out of his house. (Deut 24:1)
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. (Mt 19:9)

8. God allows the separation of unbelieving spouses from believers
But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such [cases]: but God hath called us to peace. (1 Cor 7:15)

Sep 3, 2016
Other than his personal relationship with the Lord, there is nothing more important than a proper helpmate for a man. In fact, he can never really know all that the helpmate can be until he fully knows the Lord as he should.

When the Lord said “helpmate,” He meant exactly that. A woman has intuition that a man just doesn’t have. She has greater sensitivity to things than the man has and, thereby, is able to discern, I think, to a greater extent.

In view of this, the Holy Spirit through Paul said, “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord” (Eph. 5:22).

This means that the husband is to act and conduct himself as the Lord; con- sequently, it would not be hard for any woman to submit herself to a man of that particular character and kindness.

He then said, “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it” (Eph. 5:25). Christ loved the church enough to die for it. The husband is to love his wife accordingly.

An Ideal Marriage

One of the great problems in marriage, and perhaps the greatest problem, is for the husband or wife, or both, to demand of their partner what only Christ can provide. I am persuaded that this is the cause of most marriage problems, even with Christians.

The human being can only be properly satisfied and fulfilled in Christ, but if the husband tries to make the wife meet this spiritual need or vice versa, there will be burnout. Regrettably, that is the problem with many, if not most.

Addressing Christians: One cannot really know Christ fully unless one knows and understands the Cross.

Otherwise, he is serving and trusting “another Jesus” (II Cor. 11:4), which means that Christ cannot truly and properly be to that person what He wants to be because his faith is misplaced.

Let’s say it in a stronger way: No believer can know Christ exactly as he should unless he knows Him in relationship to the Cross. Only there can he find more abundant life (Jn. 10:10).

In truth, every single Christian in the world has more abundant life. One cannot be saved without having this particular life; however, most Christians never enjoy this life because they do not understand the Cross (Col. 2:14–15). Then, not really enjoying this life because they don’t understand the Cross, they look to their mates to meet the needs in their hearts, which no human being can possibly do.

JSM

Jan 17, 2020
Divorce was an Old Testament provision for the hard hearted. It is not part of the New Covenant. Although pagans divorce, it is meaningless. People are married for life.

L

Locoponydirtman

There are more than a few other scriptures in the new testament about marriage and divorce.

I understand that we need to teach folks to be serious about marriage and not take it so lightly as we do.

I understand also that there is a divorce problem even among Christians.

But why do we keep banging on the back door. For those who have divorced and remarried isn't it better that we encourage them to walk in repentance by not making the same error again? Isn't it better to teach the youth to choose wisely? Isn't it better to help people be reconciled? Rather than condemn the one who has already erred.

What Christians do that is so like the world is react rather than pro act. I think this is the greater sin.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Rather than condemn the one who has already erred.
Or worse, the victim of someone else's error/sin.

Not that any person is completely innocent, but the choice to divorce may have been the other person's.

L

Locoponydirtman

Or worse, the victim of someone else's error/sin.

Not that any person is completely innocent, but the choice to divorce may have been the other person's.
I despise the mind set of looking for an opportunity to kick someone for a mistake.
It's like we would rather rub salt in wounds than teach folks how to avoid injury.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
The "Till Death do you Part" Oath.....

Is that optional?

Do you think that the mess that exists today in the world is because society no longer holds marriage in the same esteem that it did in years gone by?

And as marriage has become dis-honoured in these latter days, and as divorce has become widespread and prevalent, do you believe that society has become more accommodative towards divorce as a viable lifestyle choice?

Has God's standards become more accommodating, or does He change not?

L

Locoponydirtman

The "Till Death do you Part" Oath.....

Is that optional?

Do you think that the mess that exists today in the world is because society no longer holds marriage in the same esteem that it did in years gone by?

And as marriage has become dis-honoured in these latter days, and as divorce has become widespread and prevalent, do you believe that society has become more accommodative towards divorce as a viable lifestyle choice?

Has God's standards become more accommodating, or does He change not?
I think in our society, we have made it too easy to get a divorce, but sin is still the same; divorce is caused by sin.