divorce

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
Jesus said::
(Matthew 19:9) "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

So if a partner cheats on their wife/husband then that is grounds for Divorce and as long as the divorce was for that reason then one can get remarried and they will not be committing adultery..

Why don't people actually read the Bible as believe what it says?
no, he never said that, if a spouse cheats on u doesnt mean u can commit adultery too, if your spouse is unfaithful and leaves u the remain as u are a dedicate yourself to the Lord, but read hosea how he took back his unfaithful wife and forgave her

safswan

Jan 19, 2019
Jesus said::
(Matthew 19:9) "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

So if a partner cheats on their wife/husband then that is grounds for Divorce and as long as the divorce was for that reason then one can get remarried and they will not be committing adultery..

Why don't people actually read the Bible as believe what it says?

Jesus did not say adultery (cheating) was grounds for divorce he used the term fornication.Is there a difference?

If you consider these questions and find the correct answers then you may see that your position is not as sound as it seems:

The questions we need to ask and answer to be assured of what the Christian position on divorce should be:

1)For whose benefit was the provision for putting away introduced?
2)When was the offence committed?
3)If the conditions which existed, in the times Moses permitted and Jesus upheld the putting away, do not exist today, is it still necessary, to accomplish what it did in their
times?
4) In the case of adultery committed in a marriage, what should the Christian response be?

Sep 3, 2016
“There are two Scriptural conditions given for divorce and remarriage.

They are:

1. Fornication is committed by one partner [Mat. 5:32];
2. Desertion by one partner, and because of the Gospel; in other words, an unequal yoke [I Cor. 7:1-16].”

JSM

safswan

Jan 19, 2019
It says in the bible that what God has joined together let no one put asunder. Regarding the grounds for remarriage after divorce outside of adultery the question remains, was the couple married in the eyes of God in the first place? God understands the human condition quite well and is full of compassion and mercy. God also says that it is not good to be alone. Yes, there are occasions when divorce and remarriage apart from adultery is acceptable. God wants us to have life and to have it more abundantly.

And who would decide who qualifies as, "the couple married in the eyes of God in the first place"?

This seems a recipe for anarchy.Remember Jesus also said:

"For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."(Matthew 19:12)

Sep 3, 2016
And who would decide who qualifies as, "the couple married in the eyes of God in the first place"?

"For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."(Matthew 19:12)
Matthew 19:10-12

“10 His Disciples say unto Him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry (their thinking was wrong [Prov. 18:22]).

11 But He said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given (in effect, Christ is saying that all should marry, save the few who are called of God to do otherwise; the next Verse tells us what that is).

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb (accident of birth — no sex drive whatsoever): and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men (castrated, in order to serve the State, which was a custom then): and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven’s sake (personal resolve, were not castrated, as the Apostle Paul). He who is able to receive it, let him receive it (refers to the last group, and speaks of those called of the Lord for such a task, which would be few).”

JSM

safswan

Jan 19, 2019
Matthew 19:10-12

“10 His Disciples say unto Him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry (their thinking was wrong [Prov. 18:22]).
"Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD."(Proverbs 18:22)

Not good to marry doesn't negate a wife being a good thing and being a blessing from the Lord.The assumption here would be that this wife was one approved of by the Lord.The disciples were concerned about the strict conditions and the sacrifices they would need to make if anything went wrong in their marriage situations.Not that marriage was bad/wrong.

11 But He said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given (in effect, Christ is saying that all should marry, save the few who are called of God to do otherwise; the next Verse tells us what that is)
Notice Jesus did not completly reject the disciples position but gave the conditions which would make it possible to achieve the intention.He is not saying all should marry.He did not say, "no men cannot receive this saying".

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb (accident of birth — no sex drive whatsoever): and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men (castrated, in order to serve the State, which was a custom then): and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven’s sake (personal resolve, were not castrated, as the Apostle Paul). He who is able to receive it, let him receive it (refers to the last group, and speaks of those called of the Lord for such a task, which would be few).”

How do you know it is only a few who may need to abide as eunuchs?The fact is,any person who may find themselves in a position where marrying would cause them to be sinning against God would be among those who will make themselves eunuchs for the kingdom's sake.(See;I Corinthians 7:10,11,39;Romans 7:1-3)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
no, he never said that, if a spouse cheats on u doesnt mean u can commit adultery too, if your spouse is unfaithful and leaves u the remain as u are a dedicate yourself to the Lord, but read hosea how he took back his unfaithful wife and forgave her
Nope thats not what the Bible says.. You are disregarding what Jesus said in favour of the tradtions of men that you have bee indoctrinated into.. Read the Bible and take what it says as truth..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus did not say adultery (cheating) was grounds for divorce he used the term fornication.Is there a difference?

If you consider these questions and find the correct answers then you may see that your position is not as sound as it seems:

The questions we need to ask and answer to be assured of what the Christian position on divorce should be:

3)If the conditions which existed, in the times Moses permitted and Jesus upheld the putting away, do not exist today, is it still necessary, to accomplish what it did in their
times?
4) In the case of adultery committed in a marriage, what should the Christian response be?
Fornication can be seen as any illegal sexual activity. whether it be sex before marriage or sex outside the marriage or any of the other forms of sexual degeneracy that we Christians should not even discuss in public..

An Individual Christian can take what ever action seems right in regard to their own marriage when their partner has been unfaithful.. They can seek to stay married to that person if they deem it the best way to proceed.. If not then they can divorce..

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I thank God that I'm not a eunuch. What a miserable existence.

I really don't believe that God wants anyone to stay in a physically and verbally abusive marriage. Or being married to a husband who refuses to work to support his family and who wastes financial resources buying alcohol. God gives us a certain measure of common sense and perhaps a little wisdom too. I would not advise anyone to stay in a loveless unhappy marriage.

These are the types of marriages that God probably did not join the couple together in the first place. If there is any doubt about this and you have met a decent person to consider becoming your spouse I would just tell God that I'm sorry if I got it wrong about Him not joining together in the previous marriage but now you have found someone who loves you and you love them back.

People get remarried all the time that have suffered horribly in a previous marriage. That's just the way that it is. I find no shame in this and would certainly not judge anyone who is in this type of situation.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Ever ponder this?

Some people refuse to wait for the correct timing of things and jump right into what THEY want NOW.
It falls apart then we ask God to bless our impatient decisions.

How does one know when they found real love? Or are just settling?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
You don't know a thing about my life.

You also don't know a thing about my faith, and your demonstrated inability to understand what I write is loud and clear testimony to that.

Your input on this or any personal subject of mine is not welcome.
Don't bite the bait.
It only gives the floor for this tripe to be espoused by judgemental legalists, aka Pharisees.

7seasrekeyed

reading this thread is like getting slapped around

so many opinions and personal tiffs

must be the BDF

Jesus said adultery was grounds for divorce. Paul was single and said he wished people could live like him

like that was 2000 years ago (not exact number please do not stone me)

best sometimes to understand the point of the words rather than the literal interpretation

carry on :whistle:

7seasrekeyed

I thank God that I'm not a eunuch. What a miserable existence.

I really don't believe that God wants anyone to stay in a physically and verbally abusive marriage. Or being married to a husband who refuses to work to support his family and who wastes financial resources buying alcohol. God gives us a certain measure of common sense and perhaps a little wisdom too. I would not advise anyone to stay in a loveless unhappy marriage.

These are the types of marriages that God probably did not join the couple together in the first place. If there is any doubt about this and you have met a decent person to consider becoming your spouse I would just tell God that I'm sorry if I got it wrong about Him not joining together in the previous marriage but now you have found someone who loves you and you love them back.

People get remarried all the time that have suffered horribly in a previous marriage. That's just the way that it is. I find no shame in this and would certainly not judge anyone who is in this type of situation.

my personal belief is that there is more than one way to break your vows

however, adultery is certainly a reason and not an excuse. I would recommend people try to work it out...but even if they don't or can't or the adulter keeps at it, I do not see condemnation on anyone who says 'I'm out'

as for mr cross, well, look who his mentor is

of all the people to choose, Swaggart is in no position to call anyone else an adulterer

you can't make this stuff up :rolleyes:

sin is sin, but IMO, if a person has committed these sins as a Christian, they are NOT in the position to judge others who did what they did

I would think some mercy would be more fitting...not excusing sin, but taking a good look in the mirror of your own soul

some folks would rather stone others though if it makes them feel more 'righteous'

we know what Jesus said about that

7seasrekeyed

Hosea was a picture of God and unfaithful Israel

this is not a normal 'adulterous occasion' (sounds funny) but rather a prophet illustrating God's love

if anyone has ever been cheated on, by their spouse or whoever, I am sure they would say it is not easy to deal with

7seasrekeyed

times?

it means sexual immorality

all kinds of that going on

adultery is the usual understanding...but sexual immorality has a broader application

marriage should not be a prison nor should it be an insufferable life sentence

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The reason why you are divorce is because you do not know how to live for God. Your faith is in Jesus, but not the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross where the victory was won. This is called spiritual adultery; you are serving another Jesus (not the Jesus in the bible). The sin nature was reactivated (the works of the flesh) that allowed Satan to move against your marriage through the "Law of sin and death." You silence the helper, the Holy Spirit so no blessings of grace flowed through the Cross (your cross, where all the benefits of this resurrection life are received).
My first marriage that lasted 6 1/2 years ended up in divorce in 1984.

Even though my X was both physically and verbally abusive, lazy, and selfish it was not the reason for the divorce. Nor was her cheating on me repeatedly. The reason I was divorced is because my X filed for divorce because she said she did not love me and probably never did. It has nothing at all to do with the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross. There was certainly no victory won either as my life was now in shambles in trying to maintain my relationship with my daughter who was 5 years old at the time.

As for these so-called blessings, it appears that you believe that blessings of grace are earned. If so, than these are not blessings but rather payment for what was earned. Truthfully though, the blessing of grace that flowed through the cross for me was that I was no longer married to that horrible woman.

I am not getting this 'spiritually adultery' stuff you are spouting either.

7seasrekeyed

Even though my X was both physically and verbally abusive, lazy, and selfish it was not the reason for the divorce. Nor was her cheating on me repeatedly. The reason I was divorced is because my X filed for divorce because she said she did not love me and probably never did. It has nothing at all to do with the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross. There was certainly no victory won either as my life was now in shambles in trying to maintain my relationship with my daughter who was 5 years old at the time.

As for these so-called blessings, it appears that you believe that blessings of grace are earned. If so, than these are not blessings but rather payment for what was earned. Truthfully though, the blessing of grace that flowed through the cross for me was that I was no longer married to that horrible woman.

that dude goes around insulting and judging out of Swaggart's teaching

hardly anyone bothers anymore

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Luv ya bro.
Don't bite the bait.
Take yourself of the hook.
It really is not worth it.