Do Angels Sing in Scripture?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
Gabriel is an angel, and he is seen flying swiftly in scripture.

Daniel 9:21
Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

This angel can fly as well.

Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

We're not talking flying like Superman here. We're talking wings.
It was a vision as noted in Dan 8:16

Revelation _14:6 was also a vision.

Visions are real… but not reality.

You can put wings on them if you want …God does not.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I read a quote from John Darby that angels do not sing in scripture, but rather stand and praise God.
Never mind what Darby had to say. Here is what we read: And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying... Now when you turn to the book of Psalms, which is all about praising God, you find that they were set to music. So in fact we can be reasonably certian that angels did sing at the birth of Christ. Anf as you said the book of Job speaks about angels singing.

N

notonmywatch

It was a vision as noted in Dan 8:16
Daniel 8:16 was a vision, but this was not a vision:

Daniel 9:20
And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;

Daniel 9:21
Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

Daniel 9:22
And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

Here, Daniel noted that he had seen Gabriel "in the vision at the beginning" or in Daniel 8:16, but when Gabriel was "being caused to fly swiftly", that was not a vision. Instead, it was Gabriel coming forth and literally touching Daniel, and he flew swiftly to get to Daniel.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Never mind what Darby had to say. Here is what we read: And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying... Now when you turn to the book of Psalms, which is all about praising God, you find that they were set to music. So in fact we can be reasonably certian that angels did sing at the birth of Christ. Anf as you said the book of Job speaks about angels singing.
Only this version says the heavenly host sang in Luke 2:13 when Jesus was born:

Good News Translation
Suddenly a great army of heaven's angels appeared with the angel, singing praises to God:

The rest do not:

New International Version
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

New Living Translation
Suddenly, the angel was joined by a vast host of others—the armies of heaven—praising God and saying,

English Standard Version
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

Berean Standard Bible
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a great multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying:

Berean Literal Bible
And suddenly there came with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying:

King James Bible
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

New King James Version
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

New American Standard Bible
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army of angels praising God and saying,

NASB 1995
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

NASB 1977
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Legacy Standard Bible
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

Amplified Bible
Then suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host (angelic army) praising God and saying,

Christian Standard Bible
Suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

American Standard Version
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And suddenly, the great armies of Heaven appeared with the Angel, while shouting praises to God, and they were saying:

Contemporary English Version
Suddenly many other angels came down from heaven and joined in praising God. They said:

Douay-Rheims Bible
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God, and saying:

English Revised Version

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Suddenly, a large army of angels appeared with the angel. They were praising God by saying,

International Standard Version
Suddenly, a multitude of the Heavenly Army appeared with the angel, praising God by saying,

Literal Standard Version
And suddenly there came with the messenger a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying,

Majority Standard Bible
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a great multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying:

New American Bible
And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

NET Bible
Suddenly a vast, heavenly army appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

New Revised Standard Version
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,

New Heart English Bible
Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
And immediately there was with the angel a multitude of the army of Heaven praising God and saying,

World English Bible
Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army praising God and saying,

Young's Literal Translation
And suddenly there came with the messenger a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying,

presidente

May 29, 2013
Not very convincing. Where does Psalms say angels sing? Praises can be spoken.

Jul 20, 2022
As to the original query, I do not see any Scripture to show Angels singing, but do praise our God. Singing seems to be an expression of joy and praise by mankind. Religious people might sing to a god, but they need to be "born again" saints as John 3 shows seekers, to have any relationship with God --our Father in heaven. This comes by trust and a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus --God's "beloved Son" (note also John 14). Keep looking up!
--1ambassador

Jul 20, 2022
The reason people think he was the worship leader in heaven is because of Ezekiel 28:13-19. In which it states

"The workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created."

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Not very convincing. Where does Psalms say angels sing? Praises can be spoken.
You misunderstood what was said. Praising God is assigned to angels (Ps 148:2) in the Psalms, and Psalms are songs of praise or hymns. So when angels are praising God they are singing His praises.

Furthermore in Job 38:7 as noted in Barnes Notes "When the morning-stars [sang together] - There can be little doubt that angelic beings are intended here, though some have thought that the stars literally are referred to, and that they seemed to unite in a chorus of praise when another world was added to their number."

presidente

May 29, 2013
You misunderstood what was said. Praising God is assigned to angels (Ps 148:2) in the Psalms, and Psalms are songs of praise or hymns. So when angels are praising God they are singing His praises.
Non sequitur. Where does Psalms say angels sing Psalms?

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Non sequitur. Where does Psalms say angels sing Psalms?
There obviously isn't enough information to be sure but we can reasonably conclude that angels sing.
God sings & we sing. I don't think it likely that he created the angels without the ability & inclination to sing.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
There obviously isn't enough information to be sure but we can reasonably conclude that angels sing.
God sings & we sing. I don't think it likely that he created the angels without the ability & inclination to sing.
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is among you; He is mighty to save. He will rejoice over
you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love; He will rejoice over you with singing. :)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Here is what we read: And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying... Now when you turn to the book of Psalms, which is all about praising God, you find that they were set to music. So in fact we can be reasonably certian that angels did sing at the birth of Christ.
I think it's a reasonable conclusion; especially when one ponders the point being made by Lucy-Pevensie and Magenta, as well ^ ^ .

Here's something I personally find interesting to ponder... verses which contain the words "sing / song" and "praise" and "harp" (if I'm thinking about "the four living creatures" in Rev5, I'm going to also include in my SEARCH the word "harp," together with "song" / "sing" [and "praise"]... there may be more, this is just what I came across doing a quick search)....

NOTE: I am NOT suggesting these verses below are about "angels":

kjv -
Psa 33:2 -
Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.

Psa 71:22 -
I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.

Psa 147:7 -
Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God:

Psa 149:3 -
Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

nlt -
Psa 33:3 -
Sing a new song of praise to him;
play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy.

Psa 98:5 -
Sing your praise to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and melodious song,

Again, I am NOT suggesting these verses speak of "angels"...

... and I think the commentaries are fairly split as to whether they see "the four living creatures" in Rev5 as also being the ones having "harps" or just "the 24 elders" having them (I'm inclined to view it as the latter of these two--that "the four living creatures" in Rev5 are not the ones having "harps," only "the 24 elders" have them... I think this can be shown grammatically--I vaguely recall having gone into that a bit in past posts somewhere--but I don't have the umph to go into all that this morning... I'm working on numerous other tasks ATM = ) ).

Interesting to think about. = )

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
When my girls were still in their mother's womb I would sing over them. When my girls were young, and before they could talk, I used to rock them and sing over them regarding my love for them, their calling in the Lord, and their unique beauty. Now they are both in their 20s. They "return to their father" with many questions and sometimes just comfort. They know my voice because they heard it from the beginning. By my example they also know how to recognize the voice of their Father in heaven.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is among you; He is mighty to save. He will rejoice over
you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love; He will rejoice over you with singing. :)
Don't remember this verse. You have no idea how much you have blessed me. I love love love music and to sing. I've said to Him so many times .. not sure if He did.. "sing to me". Thank you Father.. thanks sis

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
My wife said that Lucifer was the worship leader in heaven
I wish that could be proven.
While we basically declare TV preachers as heretical & false teachers, we open our doors wide for their p&w singers/songwriters, knowing full well that if the tree is corrupt so is the fruit. Satan waltzes right in while we sing "we worship".

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Don't remember this verse. You have no idea how much you have blessed me. I love love love music and to sing. I've said to Him so many times .. not sure if He did.. "sing to me". Thank you Father.. thanks sis
You are welcome, and you should also thank Lucy!

I started a panel on this verse early this morning🌙

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
I don't know about singing, but at least regarding the wings, it would seem most plausible to me that if angels have wings (in whatever context, be it a vision or a more concrete encounter) they are there for the benefit of us as the recipients of the message (to signify something) rather than as "organic" part of their being. I don't think they would have to flutter their wings to fly, and whatever limitations they may have, I don't think they are tied to gravity or aerodynamics.

Same with swords. If an angel has a sword, I don't think it's because M16s weren't available. And probably neither of them are the real weapons used in a battle in the angelic realm. Also same with their unit formations. If there are "legions of angels", I doubt it's because God suddenly realized that the Romans got it right regarding effective military unit structure.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic or stating the obvious. I just wanted to highlight the perspective that what God reveals to us Adamically messed up dirt monkeys has to make sense to our feeble brain and therefore one should expect a degree of condescension to human level, and that could influence the meaning of details such as those mentioned above.