Do plants work?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Ancient Mariner
Mar 18, 2021
9,885
7,548
113
Frankston, Victoria
christianlife.au
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue

Where does this end? Will people be charged with murder if they cut down a tree? Will grass no longer be cut because it violates its rights? What does Lord Jesus have to say?

Luke 12:27 & 28
"Consider how the lilies grow: They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith!"

No, plants do not work in the sense that humans work. They do not have a soul. They function according to the amazing mechanisms that God created in them.
 
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue

Where does this end? Will people be charged with murder if they cut down a tree? Will grass no longer be cut because it violates its rights? What does Lord Jesus have to say?

Luke 12:27 & 28
"Consider how the lilies grow: They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith!"

No, plants do not work in the sense that humans work. They do not have a soul. They function according to the amazing mechanisms that God created in them.

I thought about saying so many things in this topic but i think the best thing to say is that this topic does have potential.
Here are some of the ways this topic could go:

1. Works don't send you to Heaven, even when you read the Bible.
2. The Earth was created in 6 exact days.
3. (And my personal favorite) THE Liberals doing dumb things as usual.
4. What is consciousness?

Have fun and i'll keep an eye on this topic if it develops some growth.
 
I thought about saying so many things in this topic but i think the best thing to say is that this topic does have potential.
Here are some of the ways this topic could go:

1. Works don't send you to Heaven, even when you read the Bible.
2. The Earth was created in 6 exact days.
3. (And my personal favorite) THE Liberals doing dumb things as usual.
4. What is consciousness?

Have fun and i'll keep an eye on this topic if it develops some growth.
Works..........

After my marriage ended, I was living in a 3 bedroom home. One of the guys who stayed with me was a real livewire. He had all kinds of ideas, which he attributed to God. I gave him permission to take over my garage for a business venture, which was to sell second clothes to Vanuatu. He'd lived there for a while and saw a need.

He bought piles of clothing, plastic drums to pack them in and got the appropriate export and import licences. He sorted into male and female, by size and packed everything. I was working full time and I traveled for work. So I left him to it. He had to get everything fumigated. He worked hard. He left for Vanuatu, full of confidence that he had set up a sales network and that he would make a decent profit.

Except it didn't. It was a complete flop. Did he learn anything? No. Next I heard, he was in Hungary, on some other misadventure.

God does not need us to work for Him. He needs us to be led by Him so that His will gets done. If our works do not originate with God, if they are not empowered by God, it is unacceptable to God. There are many people who are talented and competent who can motivate people to get a project done. Too often, it is a "good" work instead of a "God" work. Sometimes God will bring the work crashing down around the ears of those involved. Others He leaves to be judged in the future.
 
Works......... If our works do not originate with God, if they are not empowered by God, it is unacceptable to God.

I’ll meet you halfway here and I’ll agree with you 50% and forget what you said on the other thread about OSAS.
 
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue

Where does this end? Will people be charged with murder if they cut down a tree? Will grass no longer be cut because it violates its rights? What does Lord Jesus have to say?

Luke 12:27 & 28
"Consider how the lilies grow: They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith!"

No, plants do not work in the sense that humans work. They do not have a soul. They function according to the amazing mechanisms that God created in them.


I've heard New Agers talk about creation as having human qualities. When you notice them using terms like "sentient beings" they are diving into the realm of animism.

They might refer to the world as Mother Earth or Mother Nature.
Their hippy artwork will be faces on the moon 🌝 and the 🌞 sun.
I say hippy because that's the generation that gave rise to it .
I've heard one teach her class that people turn into stars when they die.

Tree huggers......animists.

Prayers to inanimate objects in nature, like rocks, animals and plants, animists.

Lots of American Indian tribes' religions were animism.

The great spirit in the sky isn't just a song from the 70s, it's....yup.
An animist spiritual song.
 
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue

Where does this end? Will people be charged with murder if they cut down a tree? Will grass no longer be cut because it violates its rights? What does Lord Jesus have to say?

Luke 12:27 & 28
"Consider how the lilies grow: They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith!"

No, plants do not work in the sense that humans work. They do not have a soul. They function according to the amazing mechanisms that God created in them.
If we claim plants work, we also have to say that a fish works when he is growing that delicious fish steak. Pigs are working to grow bacon and barbecue, and cows are working to grow hamburgers.

I'm pretty sure all of these, if they were able to comprehend the argument, would disagree with it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
Because this thread came in existence with a bit of a different angle from the usual convos in the Bible section and the News section, i was hoping more.

For example we can talk about how the liberals want to put us in jail if we 'kill' an edible plant. But we talk enough about liberal stupidity in the News section.
Then we got the whole 'works' discussion which is discussed for eternity along with Salvation.
There's also the 'science is evil' material in the conspiracy section ... so this leaves us with consciousness.

What is consciousness?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: HeIsHere and JaumeJ
Nothing in this creation does anything apart from work. Work is basically something moving over a distance due to some force. Water cannot get from the soil to the top of a plant without work.

"The equation for work in physics is given by W=F×d×cos(θ), where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved in the direction of the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. Work is measured in joules (J)."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Because this thread came in existence with a bit of a different angle from the usual convos in the Bible section and the News section, i was hoping more.

For example we can talk about how the liberals want to put us in jail if we 'kill' an edible plant. But we talk enough about liberal stupidity in the News section.
Then we got the whole 'works' discussion which is discussed for eternity along with Salvation.
There's also the 'science is evil' material in the conspiracy section ... so this leaves us with consciousness.

What is consciousness?

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth


woke people and trying to enforce their vegan ways is a doctrine of devils says the Lord.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Most things in creation have a spirit, as it's written that every created thing should praise the Lord.
E.g. the spirit of wood, the spirit of copper, the spirit of iron. Scientests have found plants communicate with ultrasonic waves, and Jesus says trees will uproot and plant themselves somewhere else with a faithful command.

Doesn't mean their feelings should be hurt when men handle them in the ways God intends.
 
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue
Modern science is missing something. In the Bible, plants do not 'die' - they 'wither'. They are not considered to be 'alive' in the same sense as man and animals. (No 'breath of life'.) You may like to look into it... :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gideon300
Some scientists want to attribute near human qualities to plants, as if they could think and feel and make decisions. Part of that concept is that plants work. When I'm troubled by an idea being floated that seems contrary to God's ways, I seek God's word on the issue

Where does this end? Will people be charged with murder if they cut down a tree? Will grass no longer be cut because it violates its rights? What does Lord Jesus have to say?

Luke 12:27 & 28
"Consider how the lilies grow: They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith!"

No, plants do not work in the sense that humans work. They do not have a soul. They function according to the amazing mechanisms that God created in them.

I've heard testimonies of other people talking about being caught up in the spirit and visiting heaven! And she said the flowers there were singing! And they would turn towards her as she walked. Another guy said he was there and saw children playing in the field and one little girl was trying to pick a piece of fruit from it and the tree would raise up it's branches and was teasing the little girl playing with her. And he said then the tree brought the branch right down to her and gave her some fruit.
Is it true? Why not? Some scripture does say all of creation praises God. Maybe, just maybe we can't tune in to it because our world is under a curse right now. Maybe we just don't speak Tree.

Oh, I remember a testimony of mine own! I got up in the middle of the night for a drink one time and I was looking out the kitchen window at the back yard. So I seen my tomato plants and have always heard that talking to your plants makes them grow better, right? So I started talking to my tomato plants and I see then start swaying. I looked around at all the other vegetation and nothing was moving...except the tomato plants. So I thought. so is there wind or not and I steopped outside and went back there, no wind and the tomato plants were still now too, Oh! I stopped tlking to them while I was coming out. So I stood right beside my tomato plants and talked nice to them and told them to be fruitful and multiply! And Whoa, they started swaying again, I;m not kidding. It's like they were dancing or something. I must've stood out there talking to the plants for another 15-20 minutes and then I had to go back to bed. But this happened, I made my tomato plants dance by being nice.

I don't speak any Plant, but I suspect that plants know English! They are an entirely different life form than humans but they sure do know God. I know a wee bit of dog, lol. I thought about all that the next day. I am a Hunter. I love to hunt! Now in heaven we will not hunt animals for food. They all will be kind to us...So...I wonder if the Elk in heaven will play hide and seek with me! Lol.

Scripture says it hasn't entered into the mind of man the things God has prepared for us, so I wouldn't underestimate God and draw any solid conclusions yet Brother!
 
I've heard testimonies of other people talking about being caught up in the spirit and visiting heaven! And she said the flowers there were singing! And they would turn towards her as she walked. Another guy said he was there and saw children playing in the field and one little girl was trying to pick a piece of fruit from it and the tree would raise up it's branches and was teasing the little girl playing with her. And he said then the tree brought the branch right down to her and gave her some fruit.
Is it true? Why not? Some scripture does say all of creation praises God. Maybe, just maybe we can't tune in to it because our world is under a curse right now. Maybe we just don't speak Tree.

Oh, I remember a testimony of mine own! I got up in the middle of the night for a drink one time and I was looking out the kitchen window at the back yard. So I seen my tomato plants and have always heard that talking to your plants makes them grow better, right? So I started talking to my tomato plants and I see then start swaying. I looked around at all the other vegetation and nothing was moving...except the tomato plants. So I thought. so is there wind or not and I steopped outside and went back there, no wind and the tomato plants were still now too, Oh! I stopped tlking to them while I was coming out. So I stood right beside my tomato plants and talked nice to them and told them to be fruitful and multiply! And Whoa, they started swaying again, I;m not kidding. It's like they were dancing or something. I must've stood out there talking to the plants for another 15-20 minutes and then I had to go back to bed. But this happened, I made my tomato plants dance by being nice.

I don't speak any Plant, but I suspect that plants know English! They are an entirely different life form than humans but they sure do know God. I know a wee bit of dog, lol. I thought about all that the next day. I am a Hunter. I love to hunt! Now in heaven we will not hunt animals for food. They all will be kind to us...So...I wonder if the Elk in heaven will play hide and seek with me! Lol.

Scripture says it hasn't entered into the mind of man the things God has prepared for us, so I wouldn't underestimate God and draw any solid conclusions yet Brother!
Great, so you it will be a crime to uproot a plant and murder if you eat one? Plants are not conscious. They are not persons. Gods did not tell Noah to load up plants onto the ark. No doubt he did, but that was for food.

I don't know what it will be like in heaven. I do have some idea of what it is like on earth. Gary A makes a good point. God did not put the breath of life into plants. He gave them as food to Adam and Eve and to animals.
 
Great, so you it will be a crime to uproot a plant and murder if you eat one? Plants are not conscious. They are not persons. Gods did not tell Noah to load up plants onto the ark. No doubt he did, but that was for food.

If God gave us plants for food then He isnt going to charge us with Murder for taking some and eating, lol. They may have a consciousness and it may be that it's a little different than our consciousness. And plants do breath so they do have the breath of life.
 
If God gave us plants for food then He isnt going to charge us with Murder for taking some and eating, lol. They may have a consciousness and it may be that it's a little different than our consciousness. And plants do breath so they do have the breath of life.
"Look! I am about to cover the earth with a flood that will destroy every living thing that breathes. Everything on earth will die." Genesis 6:17.

Plants are not conscious, breathing creatures like the rest of God's creation. What you claim is similar to animism where people worship God's creation and yet ignore God who created those things. I live in Australia and have to put up with rules made as a sop to people who worship trees, rocks and dirt. It's demonic.