D
dsimmy70
Guest
Everyone's testimony is unique and will affect someone else. To me, my testimony is about how through choices I made, God never left my side and His mercy and grace can't be denied.
Praise God for refining us and making us ALL new! And praise him, those of us with boring testimonies, for being our shield even from birth. He has us each on our own path.
There's no point in one breath praising God and then in the next describing testimonies as boring. To anyone reading this: you don't need a history of drug and alcohol abuse to inspire others to Christ or show them the love of Jesus. There is nothing ineffective or 'boring' for want of a much better word about inspiring others to Christ and walking the daily walk with Jesus through a smile, an offering, a gesture of help, being appreciative for good health and all the other blessings that God provides you and you in turn provide for others. Especially for christians, we can show others God's love through these acts of Christ, seemingly simple but powerful. Show non believers and indeed even christians who have a long way to go that there's no such thing as 'boring' testimony. God never does anything boring, to describe it as that misses the biggest picture of all about Christ's love and certainly doesn't teach non believers about God.
We've all got things to offer others that we've seen God bestow on us, let God's love shine through this and into a fallen world desperately needing Christians to show them that there is nothing 'vanilla' or 'boring' about anything Christ has done in our lives and certainly what He can do for anyone.
Hey Everyone,
Do you ever feel like you don't have much to offer other people or the kingdom of God because you're a "plain vanilla" Christian?
My Mom and I were talking about this because my parents regularly hear all kinds of testimonies through their work. She told that she often feels like she doesn't have anything to offer anyone because she's doesn't have an incredibly intense testimony as so many Christians do. She was born and raised a Christian, married early, stayed at home to raise a family... and continues to be my Dad's faithful help mate every single day.
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm often blown away by the testimonies some people have--recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, surviving abandonment and raising kids amidst the turmoil, and several "there is no cure" medical issues that were miraculously healed.
I admire each and every person for the personal struggles God has helped them overcome.
But it leaves me feeling as if... I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to the Christian circle. This is part of the reason why I continuously come back to CC to talk about what's on my heart--in real life, I mostly listen, because nothing I have to add is nearly as powerful, and I don't want to detract from someone else's testimony.
On the flip side, I've also had some Christian people tell me (in a condescending way) that I've had a very easy life (with the implication is that I must be "Christianity Lite", and only a fraction of the true Christian that they are because of their trials.) To some people, more suffering and trials means they rate higher as a Christian.
Now, I am certainly NOT saying that anyone with a powerful testimony this way, but it often seems to me as if the most extreme testimonies are also showcased at the church or in a Bible study. The person who was rescued from the most sordid things is usually asked to share, not the small town girl who simply became a housewife.
I know that we all have a testimony, and that it's all valuable to our Lord.
But do find yourself ever feeling as if... The "true" Christians are the ones who have suffered the most, and somehow, you're not worth nearly as much to God or other Christians because your life hasn't nearly been so "colorful"?
No offense but technically speaking, this is actually a form of envy/jealousy. Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.
Galatians 6:4 NLT
I was definitely a vanilla Christian. I'm laughing at that term. I never went through trauma or serious trials before being saved. I always felt almost guilty, like I was missing out on seeing the true MAJESTY and power of God because he was just kind of always there. I did end up going through stuff, and my "testimony" now is a lot less vanilla, but it's not really my "salvation" testimony. It's my "ongoing" testimony of God's faithfulness.
I look back on my vanilla salvation more kindly now, because I know that while others may have had miraculous and awe-inspiring stories of God flipping them upside down, breaking and rebuilding them, I know that those things do come with a price, and often leave everlasting damage in one form or another. Praise God for refining us and making us ALL new! And praise him, those of us with boring testimonies, for being our shield even from birth. He has us each on our own path.
No offense but technically speaking, this is actually a form of envy/jealousy.
Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.
Galatians 6:4 NLT
Spot on. As I said at the outset the post was lacking so much in perspective, there were so many things that were missing. To all christians lost on their walk or those that haven't yet come to Christ, i wanted to write in and bring different ideas to what others have described as 'vanilla' or 'boring' from comparing God's work with others, which is wrong. All work done by God is praise worthy, inspiring and a smile through a christian, a simple gesture can change someone's life and save them. Until they understand this about God's love and a christian's patient walk with Christ, feeling negative in whatever form because there's no supposed wizz bang drug abuse history testimony contradicts so much of what we believe and should be doing as Christians inspiring others to Christ.
everyone has good things to offer, even if a person has not known great and terrible suffering they still know pain they still struggle in life in some way or another and even the simplest of suffering is just as important as great and terrible sufferings thta other have experienced.
You don't have to have gone through hell and back to have an amazing testimony, each persons story matters each person has good things to offer and share, besides it's not the testimony of our past that matters it's the testimony of the future when we are in heaven that matters. How we lived our lives what we did what little we were given what we did with what we had lots of the people we encountered the souls we helped how we were there for those in need.
every testimony on that day while may be different will be just as important as the next no matter great or how little the sufferings.
even us "vanilla" Christians still have something valuable to offer, too, even if we haven't been through the exact same things.
There's no such thing. That completely puts down God's work, His people and doesn't teach and show others, especially non-believers, about how God's love and work shines through.
My testimony can be seen as intense but as i said in my testimony thread it's not my story that needs to be told.Blain, I know from your posts that you've been through a lot in life that wasn't even your fault, but rather, the result of others' poor decisions and behaviors.
One of the most encouraging things to me is when someone who DOES have a more intense testimony understands that everyone, even us "vanilla" Christians still have something valuable to offer, too, even if we haven't been through the exact same things.
Some Christians who have only accepted Jesus for 5 or 10 years act like they are better than people who have been a Christian for 30, 40 or 50 years.
Does anyone understand this? Why the arrogance? Is one better than the other?