I do, just like the Bible says...
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Amen! The simplicity that is in Christ!a new command I give you: love one another as I have loved you.
Well your the one who said you are "striving" and of course John says the same thing that only love in Christ keeps Gods commandments... so why not love instead of strive at legalism?
I would say the first of these fiends were the original Pharisees and Sadducees of the Bible. No, even before them there were people to whom God condemned for putting the laws of man over the laws of God.
That, essentially, is my point in full. Legalists are anyone and everyone who puts mans traditions over God's laws.
A scriptural example of this would be found in Matthew 23:16-24 or Isaiah 1:12-17.
Note that I am not trying to point fingers on here. I am not calling anyone a dangerous legalist. I am simply warning against the sin of legalism.
Well of course most would at least read the first post to see the context... but Im sure your right to only read the title and then comment ...but having read your first and second post, im still not sure you understand that Gods law is not in the written code of Moses, its in the Spirit? God bless you![]()
I think the real issue is, why is it so hard for people to just do what God says to do?
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
So then do what God says to do.
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
What is the one and only way a person can be perfect?
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Paul tries to explain what it is to come to Christ.
Galatians 2:19-21
[SUP]19 [/SUP]For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
[SUP]20 [/SUP]I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
[SUP]21 [/SUP]I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
How about if I do what Christ said to do?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
How about if you do?
Those commandments are designed to bring you to the Lord Jesus Christ. Because you can't do them by yourself.
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Pretty obvious, right?
Just to chime in here... Although I don't think it's completely relevant to the debate between antinomianism and legal observance, I think it's worth being said that most people I've met who identify as Judeo-Christian and attempt to observe the teachings of God (not just the 10 commandments) do it in a way that is different from modern Jews. They observe those teachings because they believe it is what God wants or because they feel closer to God when observing them. They don't do it because observance is tradition, because they were brought up that way, purely for the sake of adhering to a set of regulations, for the sake of preserving one's cultural identity or even for feeling better about themselves. Any law, without the backing of God, is just a set of rules and regulations. But if a law has the backing of God, then it makes you stop and think, "Maybe it has merit."![]()
The Pharisees of Christ's time in this world were neglecting the spirit of God's laws to obey the letter. Christ accused them of twisting God's laws (i.e. those laws in the Old Testament). And he said to them, "You give a tenth of your spices - mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law - justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."
Note that justice, mercy and faithfulness come from the same "Law" that prompted the Pharisees to tithe their mint, dill and cumin. And also note that Jesus admonishes them, saying that they should have obeyed both. Jesus isn't supporting the laws regarding justice, mercy and faithfulness while downplaying tithes. He's supporting both, but he's emphasizing the weightier laws, because that's what the situation called for.
Well your the one who said you are "striving" and of course John says the same thing that only love in Christ keeps Gods commandments... so why not love instead of strive at legalism?
just like the Bible says...
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
what many call legalism is what I see as submitting to HIS Standard of love and not making my own standard up and taa daaa, "I love"
what is love? is it not explained in His Law?
Love is not explained in the law. It is demanded by the law. God's standard of Love is explained on the Cross.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
All who believe Jesus Christ live in the grace provided by His Blood shed for us on the Cross.
Believing Jesus Christ means we love His Word. We know we are free of the law, but never are we to ignor the teachings from the law, for the law was given by Jesus Christ. He is the Word.
So with this all in mind, and the quewtion posed as the title of this thread, I love God's law.. It is not in my heart written to ignore His law, nor is it in the heart of any who love Jesus Christ.. May God bless all with His teaching and understand what He has taught us since Adam.
When the subject of this thread comes up, there are so many who point out that Jesus left us the new commandment to love one another. It is an easy way for many to demonstrate how they understand, however Jesus also teaches the two great laws are the two of Love, upon which hangs all of the law. Now we know if all the law hangs on Love the Law is here with Love.........please do not think for a moment that loving each other is precluding even the least of these laws, for from Jesus we know the only thing that precludes any of the laws is grace. He is merciful, and we, following His teaching and Example must be merciful. Do not diminish the wisdom of the Law, for it is Abraham who is our spiritual forefather, and He is such because he believed God, and He obeyed his statutes. If you do not already know this, study the Word and you will.
God bless you.
We love him (first commandment) because He first loved us....no one is keeping the true law of God apart from Gods love and grace.Love is not explained in the law. It is demanded by the law. God's standard of Love is explained on the Cross.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.