Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
Just curious if anyone observes the Sabbath. It seems like some people do and some people don’t, citing a variety of reasons.

Are there any clear commands to observe a Sabbath rest on the seventh day of the week? Which verses? I ask because I see there are clear commands to observe some of the 10 commandments, but I can’t find anything about Jesus or one of the apostles commanding anyone to keep the Sabbath.

Personally I don’t observe Sabbath day of rest as of right now, but I’ve considered it and I’m not opposed to it.

Also, if you keep the Sabbath, what do you do and don’t do on your Sabbath day of rest?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
From Deuteronomy.

From Deuteronomy.
Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

From Genesis.

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

From Hebrews.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

J

joecoten

Yeah, I observe it. The Lord made the seventh day for rest and to celebrate Him. It's a good thing!

Happy rest day, happy rest day to you
It's the best day, it's a blessed day all the way through
It's a feast day, made by Yahweh, for me and you...it's true
Happy rest day, happy rest day to you -tc

C

ChristianTonyB

Kind of. If for example I've worked 6 days straight, then I take the next day off and rest up. It could be any day of the week. That's my Sabbath.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Depends on whether it is the Jewish 7th day Sabbath or the Christian 8th day Sabbath.
The Sabbath of Judah is the same for the eleven tribes and the entire original Flock to which we have been united by Jesus Yeshua.

It is certain you think you know what a true Jew is, but I cannot see this in your posts.

A true Jew is anyone who believes and honors God, Yeshua, in Spirit and truth. You may as well include the Holy Spirit since the Three are On, always have been and always will be.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I just returned from my daily worship in the park. We start at Sunrise to worship Jesus. Many unbelievers have come down to join us and ask questions. So Far this Summer, over 500 have came to Jesus by this. We interview each person and have them call a local Pastor team to arrainge regualar attendance. In the last report from the Pastors, all have started attending their churches two or three times a week. Those who can join us on any given day do.

J

joecoten

I just returned from my daily worship in the park. We start at Sunrise to worship Jesus. Many unbelievers have come down to join us and ask questions. So Far this Summer, over 500 have came to Jesus by this. We interview each person and have them call a local Pastor team to arrainge regualar attendance. In the last report from the Pastors, all have started attending their churches two or three times a week. Those who can join us on any given day do.
That's fantastic, absolutely wonderful! :)

J

joecoten

I'd love to see some video! What a way to start the day!

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
No. I used to until I realized it's not mandatory. If a person wants to that's their choice but to me it just seemed a little too legalistic, especially for a gentile.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It is certain you think you know what a true Jew is, but I cannot see this in your posts.
The issue of who is a true Jew is not even on the table. Jews today still observe the 7th day Sabbath, and in Israel the nation also observes this Sabbath. Sabbatarians such as Seventh Day Adventists follow the Jews. But the Lord's Day (the first day of the week) is the Christian Sabbath.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Are there any clear commands to observe a Sabbath rest on the seventh day of the week? Which verses? I ask because I see there are clear commands to observe some of the 10 commandments,
"sidebar"

Hmm, which of the 10 are we not to obey/observe? Just wondering...

Pretty sure we are to keep all 10, but that's my opinion I suppose.

John 14:15) If you love me, keep my commandments.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Re the Sabbath:

IF you are speaking of the Sabbath under the Law of the 1st Covenant, then no. As well, there are numerous Sabbaths under the Law.

If you are speaking of New Covenant worship of God on a certain day; then, yes. And the Biblical justification for our worshiping God on Sundays comes from the fact that the disciples and other believers gathered together to worship on the 1st day of the week. It also has to do with believing that Jesus rose on Sunday (first day of the week).

A couple of Scriptures.....

Mark, Chapter 2:

23And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.

24And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

25And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?

26How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Acts, Chapter 20:

7And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 16:

1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Mark, Chapter 16, verse 9

[Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

...as well as John 20: 1.2 .... Matthew 28:1 .... Revelation 1:10 ....

Mar 4, 2020
"sidebar"

Hmm, which of the 10 are we not to obey/observe? Just wondering...
I believe Christians should obey at least 9 of the 10 commandments, but I am not sure about the Sabbath commandment. I see there are some Old Testament passages about keeping the sabbath, but I can’t really see any examples of it in the New Testament.

Pretty sure we are to keep all 10, but that's my opinion I suppose.

John 14:15) If you love me, keep my commandments.
I agree, but it doesn’t seem like Jesus was the one who gave the 10 commandments, wouldn’t that have been God the Father?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I believe Christians should obey at least 9 of the 10 commandments, but I am not sure about the Sabbath commandment. I see there are some Old Testament passages about keeping the sabbath, but I can’t really see any examples of it in the New Testament.

I agree, but it doesn’t seem like Jesus was the one who gave the 10 commandments, wouldn’t that have been God the Father?
Jesus is God! The Second Person of the Trinity. So, if God gave a Commandment, Jesus did as well.....they are One in the Same.

As I stated: The Sabbath of the 1st Covenant/Law is not in effect for the Church today IMO. However, that does not take away our need to set aside a day for the purpose of praising and worshiping God, and not seeking the enrichments of man. Just as the disciples and congregations did in the various Churches in the New Testament.

Remember, under the New Covenant, Grace, we are under the Law of Faith! We may not have a "physical" need to "keep the Sabbath" of the 1st Covenant, but we do have the need to keep the Sabbath of the New Covenant, which, IMO, is the 1st day of the week; as did the disciples and others.....

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What’s an 8th day sabbath?
The first day of the week is also the 8th day. The number 8 has spiritual significance, so please see John 20:26 (and other references to eight days).

R

RichMan

Under the Law, keeping the Sabbath was to include all in the household. Animals and servants included.
SO---as you keep the Sabbath, do you refrain from doing things that require others to work?
Things like shopping, eating out, watching tv or using the internet or your phone?
How about using power to run the air or lights.
People do have to work on the Sabbath when you use any utility.

J

joecoten

I observe the Sabbath as a day of rest. I am under the new covenant. The Sabbath was instituted by the Lord before the Mosaic law.
For me, it is a good thing. I don't tell others what to do. Having learned of my Hebrew ancestry, it's something I want to do.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
The first day of the week is also the 8th day. The number 8 has spiritual significance, so please see John 20:26 (and other references to eight days).
“And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.”