Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Abraham never sacrificed his own son, the type, but The Father did sacrifice His own Son, fulfillment.
Right. What I was saying is that he had the faith to and was obedient all the way until God told him to stop. Of course he did not shed Isaac's blood. Yes, only the type. Certainly an amazing gospel message until the fulfillment.

Mar 4, 2020
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, since otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Galatians 1:6
I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel
Galatians 2:21
I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.

Ephesians 1:7
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our wrongdoings, according to the riches of His grace.

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in our wrongdoings, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Titus 3:7
So that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
You're only under grace if you're continually walking in the Spirit. If you stop walking in the Spirit you're under the law and, therefore, not under grace. So you have to actually do something. Grace isn't unmerited or undeserved favor. It's quid pro quo and depends on your choices from day to day and sometimes from second to second.

Galatians 5
16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

So, like I said, there are things you have to do to stay in that grace. Obedience and a striving to be righteous are required. Here's another example of falling from grace due to not being led by the Spirit.

Hebrews 12
14Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 16See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
You're only under grace if you're continually walking in the Spirit. If you stop walking in the Spirit you're under the law and, therefore, not under grace. So you have to actually do something. Grace isn't unmerited or undeserved favor. It's quid pro quo and depends on your choices from day to day and sometimes from second to second.

Galatians 5
16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

So, like I said, there are things you have to do to stay in that grace. Obedience and a striving to be righteous are required. Here's another example of falling from grace due to not being led by the Spirit.

Hebrews 12
14Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 16See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.
Not really sure what you're trying to communicate here..?
Are you suggesting that if/when a Christian sins, they fall out of Grace?

Mar 4, 2020
Not really sure what you're trying to communicate here..?
Are you suggesting that if/when a Christian sins, they fall out of Grace?
It's more like making a practice of sin. Think of any habitual sin people may do that they aren't even trying to resist anymore. That isn't walking in the Spirit.

1 John 3
9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10By this the children of God are distinguished from the children of the devil: Anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022
The issue of who is a true Jew is not even on the table. Jews today still observe the 7th day Sabbath, and in Israel the nation also observes this Sabbath. Sabbatarians such as Seventh Day Adventists follow the Jews. But the Lord's Day (the first day of the week) is the Christian Sabbath.
I dont see how they can ,according to the Law, given they have water and heat and electricity ,which means some one has to work in order to have those things on the Sabbath

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Hebrews 12:14 - Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. (NASB). To be sanctified is to be "set apart/made holy." Without justification, there is no sanctification.

Those who are sanctified have been "set apart" or "made holy" in standing before God positionally in Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:11 - Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. These people will see the Lord.

In the very next verse (Hebrews 12:15) we read - See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God.. (NASB) The ESV reads - ..fails to obtain the grace of God. That puts things into perspective here.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Hmmm, intersting that you bring that up.

I heard a preacher on this subject before.

Yeah, watched up until they stoned the fellow that gathered the sticks on the sabbath day.

That's what the law states, no give and take with God's instructions.

No forgiveness within the law for transgression of the ten commandments.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Hebrews 12:14 - Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. (NASB). To be sanctified is to be "set apart/made holy." Without justification, there is no sanctification.

Those who are sanctified have been "set apart" or "made holy" in standing before God positionally in Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:11 - Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. These people will see the Lord.

In the very next verse (Hebrews 12:15) we read - See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God.. (NASB) The ESV reads - ..fails to obtain the grace of God. That puts things into perspective here.
A very good post dan.

"Those who are sanctified have been "set apart" or "made holy" in standing before God positionally in Christ."

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Right. What I was saying is that he had the faith to and was obedient all the way until God told him to stop. Of course he did not shed Isaac's blood. Yes, only the type. Certainly an amazing gospel message until the fulfillment.
A powerful and deep lesson for us all.

What an amazing symbol of Christ's incomprehensible love for us all.

Not your son Abraham, My Son will be the sacrifice.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
It's more like making a practice of sin. Think of any habitual sin people may do that they aren't even trying to resist anymore. That isn't walking in the Spirit.

1 John 3
9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10By this the children of God are distinguished from the children of the devil: Anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is anyone who does not love his brother.
That's correct but sadly your self or personal righteousness, can never reach the required mark.

A divine sacrifice was needed for our atonement, reconciliation.

Only the sacrifice that Jesus rendered, the perfect sacrifice, accomplished that atonement for us.

Everything good thing comes from above, unless of course you think that you have a part to play, in that divine reconciliation?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
A powerful and deep lesson for us all.

What an amazing symbol of Christ's incomprehensible love for us all.

Not your son Abraham, My Son will be the sacrifice.
Yes, I was struck by it even moreso the last time I read Genesis than before. It stands out like a John 3:16 of the Old Testament.
It must have been a "go to verse" when believers back then led others to the Lord.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

Galatians 5

Hebrews 12
Your supporting my position now.

"15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many"

Saved by grace through faith!

So you agree, that we are saved by grace and stay in that state of grace by walking in the spirit.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Yes, I was struck by it even moreso the last time I read Genesis than before. It stands out like a John 3:16 of the Old Testament.
It must have been a "go to verse" when believers back then led others to the Lord.
Would have been a bell ringer for Paul and the other disciples at the time.

Mar 4, 2020
Your supporting my position now.

"15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many"

Saved by grace through faith!

So you agree, that we are saved by grace and stay in that state of grace by walking in the spirit.

there are things you have to do to stay in that grace. Obedience and a striving to be righteous are required. Here's another example of falling from grace due to not being led by the Spirit.

Hebrews 12
14Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of Godand that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 16See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected.Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

there are things you have to do to stay in that grace. Obedience and a striving to be righteous are required. Here's another example of falling from grace due to not being led by the Spirit.

Hebrews 12
14Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one falls short of the grace of Godand that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 16See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected.Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.
Your still saying that ultimately, you are saved by the grace of God.

Saved by grace and remain in that grace.

Salvation is a free gift given to those that believe.

Stay in that faith.

Good to see that you have crossed the line.

Mar 4, 2020
Your still saying that ultimately, you are saved by the grace of God.

Saved by grace and remain in that grace.

Salvation is a free gift given to those that believe.

Stay in that faith.

Good to see that you have crossed the line.
I haven’t even changed my position. You have to do something and if you don’t do it you fall from grace. If we agree about then suddenly then I’m good and got nothing else to say. :)

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I haven’t even changed my position. You have to do something and if you don’t do it you fall from grace. If we agree about then suddenly then I’m good and got nothing else to say. :)
No, I am stating the reason you are saved in the first place. By grace through faith.

Whether or not you walk the walk, is not the primary doctrine.

Christ's death and resurrection is the primary cause of your salvation.

Of course, you can trash the gift of salvation given to you. I never said you can't.

If you do not live and walk in that gift of grace, then that is a failure to not believe in Jesus in the first instance.

All sin arises from that unbelief.

Yet salvation is given to those that believe.

You had no part to play in your reconciliation to God, none whatsoever.

The glory belongs only to Jesus Christ!!!!

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
No ...I'm saying your interpretation makes Paul a liar.
You do not believe in salvation by grace through faith. Your interpretation is salvation by grace with the addition of the sabbath and as a very strict requirement.

In other words, Jesus plus the works of the law.
No... I've always stated that Jesus perfectly obeyed the law.
If Jesus fulfilled the entire law, then the entire law has been annulled. You can't have a partial legal system. It's all or nothing.

Mar 4, 2020
No, I am stating the reason you are saved in the first place. By grace through faith.

Whether or not you walk the walk, is not the primary doctrine.

Christ's death and resurrection is the primary cause of your salvation.

Of course, you can trash the gift of salvation given to you. I never said you can't.

If you do not live and walk in that gift of grace, then that is a failure to not believe in Jesus in the first instance.

All sin arises from that unbelief.

Yet salvation is given to those that believe.

You had no part to play in your reconciliation to God, none whatsoever.

The glory belongs only to Jesus Christ!!!!
Okay, then we don’t agree about anything. That’s what I thought. :LOL:

I’ll just stick with the plain words of the Bible that say you’re not under God’s law if you walk in the Spirit, you’re under grace if you walk in the Spirit, and if you don’t then you’re under the law and therefore not saved by grace because grace is conditional.

Your error is you’re supposing it’s impossible to lose your salvation, something the Bible doesn’t say. Amazingly, the exact oppose is stated throughout the Bible.

The bottom line for this is who’s side are you really on? I’m saying don’t sin, do good works, walk in the Spirit, don’t walk in the flesh. You’re trying to rebuttal all of this. Not happening.

With the Bible discussions can become circular because we’re confined to the box of what the Bible says. When we have gone through it all we just start reiterating the same points again and again. Let’s agree to disgaree.

The Sabbath is required.