Doctrine of Unconditional Election

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
No they won't - as a nation they never will. Were that true, what would happen to all of the Jews who die before then? They are of the nation of Israel too. You are saying some are saved because they are of Israel, but for that to be correct, all Jews who were ever born also have to be saved because they too are of Israel. The Jews of the earthly nation of Israel will never become saved just based upon their physical relationship to Israel.
My friend the Word says they will. That there is a remnant of Jews. No, they are saved they same way we are saved.

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

11 In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem...

The physical seed of Abraham were replaced by the spiritual seed of Abraham- they are the elect and the true Jews. After the divorce, He cannot remarry Israel again because to do so would break the law. If He did, He would then have two wives: the Church AND Israe but we read nothing in the Bible about God having two wives. And without a remarriage, He cannot have a special relationship with Israel.

No, they were not replaced. No one replaces the Jews. If God will not keep His promise to the Jews, He won't keep His promise to you!! Let's go back and look.

3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, eone born in my house is mine heir. 4 And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that fshall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and gtell the hstars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, iSo shall thy seed be...
7 And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of mUr of the Chaldees, nto give thee this land to inherit it. 8 And he said, Lord God, owhereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? 9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon. 10 And he took unto him all these, and pdivided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but qthe birds divided he not. 11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away. 12 And when the sun was going down, ra deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. 13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety sthat thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and tthey shall afflict them ufour hundred years; 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, xwill I judge: and afterward yshall they come out with great substance. 15 And zthou shalt go ato thy bfathers in peace; thou shalt be buried bin a good old age... 17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was fdark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. 18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, gUnto thy seed have I given this land, from hthe river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates

The Lord tells Abram,
“I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:2–3).

The Abrahamic Covenant is unconditional. It should also be taken literally. There is no need to spiritualize the promise to Abraham. God’s promises to Abraham’s descendants will be fulfilled literally. The Abrahamic Covenant included the promise of land (Genesis 12:1). It was a specific land, an actual property, with dimensions specified in Genesis 15:18–21. In Genesis 13:15, God gives Abraham all the land that he can see, and the gift is declared to be “forever.” God was not going to renege on His promise. The territory given as part of the Abrahamic Covenant is expanded in Deuteronomy 30:1–10, often called the Palestinian Covenant.

At no point in history, though, has Israel controlled all of the land God had specified. There remains, therefore, a final fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant that will see Israel occupying their God-given homeland to the fullest extent. The fulfillment will be more than a matter of geography; it will also be a time of holiness and restoration (see Ezekiel 20:40–44 and 36:1—37:28).God reiterates the Abrahamic Covenant to Isaac and to his son Jacob, whose name God changes to Israel.

Five times in Genesis 12, as God is giving the Abrahamic Covenant, He says, “I will.” Clearly, God takes the onus of keeping the covenant upon Himself. The covenant is unconditional. One day, Israel will repent, be forgiven, and be restored to God’s favor (Zechariah 12:10–14; Romans 11:25–27). One day, the nation of Israel will possess the entire territory promised to them. One day, the Messiah will return to set up His throne, and through His righteous rule the whole world will be blessed with an abundance of peace, pleasure, and prosperity.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
No they won't - as a nation they never will.

Romans 11

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

He is speaking to real people, not spiritual people. His own kin. The Jews.

2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (of Jews)
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:

10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Now speaking to the Gentiles.

14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

God is able to graft them back into their own tree.

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.
29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I will be 68 this month, and know my cognitive abilities are not as they once were.

I doubt I will have 20 more years :unsure: I hope many of yours have been richly blessed :D

Will this help? :giggle:
They most certainly have, my cup runneth over, of which I am not worthy. Thanks for the picture. Reminds me, when I replaced my knee joints with metal ones, from my career of carrying mail, I told the surgeon he forgot to put grease inserts in.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
No, the Jews are not replaced by anyone, elect or not. The Jews have been blinded for a time. But they will come to see that Jesus is and was the Messiah all the time. And they will mourn. God made an unconditional covenant with Abraham, and He will fulfill it to the end. His call is irrecoverable. The Jews are the apple of His eye, the chosen, set apart. We have been grafted in but God will still keep His covenant with Israel and the Jewish people.
The covenant was conditional .
Gen 17:9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
Gen 17:11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
Gen 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
Gen 17:13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
Gen 17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Gen 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
Gen 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Lev 26:40 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;
Lev 26:41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:
Lev 26:42 Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.

Deu 7:12 Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I can't say I know the answer to that question, but I would lean in the direction of saying no. I was raised in a religious home and education system until high school, but was allowed to quit going to church when I was sixteen because I did not believe. I remember when I was about twenty, meeting a person who had no belief in God, no influence in that direction throughout his upbringing, an atheist, and it struck me as an anomaly. Spiritual things had a great draw with me. I was curious and explored those things which most appealed, and tried to remain open to other possibilities. I knew God revealed Himself through dreams, so I did dream work off and on over the course of decades.But organized religion was a turn off to me, and anything Biblical or related to beliefs in the God the Bible portrayed were anathema. Still, I knew there was something greater and beyond the material realm, and I sought that out.

I would guess that you were born again at a very young age with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, according to your testament. I can't remember when I was born again, but when I was converted was very vivid, at age 62. I was raised in church, with a very loving mother and father, but never could make any sense of the scriptures, probably because I never read the bible, and paid no attention to the preacher.

When I was 50, I thought I was smart enough to figure out the, supposed, contradictions in the scriptures, but after 12 years of diligent studying, with the help of Strong's concordance, and attending many different churches, I confessed to God, that I was not smart enough, and would have to be content to go through life without understanding.

Once I was converted, by the revelation of the Holy Spirit, I realised that if the Holy Spirit, within me, had revealed things to me in my mindset of being smart enough, that I would have taken credit for myself, instead of giving credit to God, who deserved it.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
The natural man is not the carnal man, Paul would have used a different word.
We all have a natural side.

The distinction here is not saved and unsaved.

The people in Corinth who were schooled in wisdom/philosophy were trying to understand spiritual things by employing human wisdom, Paul is telling them it will not work.

Yes, the scriptures do teach that we all have a fleshly nature. Paul speaks of this in Rom 7:18-25.

We all were born into this world as natural sinful beings, (1 Cor 2:14). without any knowledge of spiritual things, until God quickens us to the new spiritual life, (Eph 2:1-5), with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Before we were quickened, we only had one nature. After God quickened us, we now have two nathers, our fleshly nature, and our spiritual nature, and these two natures war against each other, as Paul explains in Rom 7:18-25.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
They most certainly have, my cup runneth over, of which I am not worthy. Thanks for the picture. Reminds me, when I replaced my knee joints with metal ones, from my career of carrying mail, I told the surgeon he forgot to put grease inserts in.
A little WD 40 might help. lol Those jobs are hard when you are on your feet all day. I would think dealing with the weather would be the worst. My hubby use to work for one of the delivery companies and the weather was the worst, and dogs. Dogs can be trouble too.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
How does man come to the point of realizing he needs to repent.

the natural man, as described in 1 Cor 2:14, will never repent of breaking one of God's spiritual laws that he cannot discern, and thinks them to be foolishness.

Only the born again (Eph 2:1-5) will repent of breaking one of God's spiritual laws.

When a born again child of God commits a sin, it separates them from their fellowship with God, temporary, until they repent.

Papermonkey

Dec 2, 2022
Romans 11

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (of Jews)
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:

10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.

30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Abraham was Gentile.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
A little WD 40 might help. lol Those jobs are hard when you are on your feet all day. I would think dealing with the weather would be the worst. My hubby use to work for one of the delivery companies and the weather was the worst, and dogs. Dogs can be trouble too.

Amen to that. I had a beard at that time, and my breath would freeze solid on it.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Romans 11

Don't let him trip you up. You are right.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

I'm not going to go through each and every part of your post or it would take all day to reply and provide explanation, but I will pick a few now and maybe a few later.

Look verses 9:25 - 26 in Romans. In them we are told that a people who were never God's people nor were ever His beloved, He would make His people and His beloved - those are the elect. It simply cannot represent the nation of Israel because they had been His people and had been His beloved but no longer are nor will be as a nation. Consequently, whenever you read in the Bible of God's blessing, or salvation, regarding Israel, it is speaking about spiritual Israel, not the earthly nation of Israel. This is not to say that Jews aren't/won't be saved too because they will be but only because they were chosen by God to be of the true Jews through election.

[Rom 9:25-26 KJV]
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, [that] in the place where it was said unto them, Ye [are] not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Notice in 11:5, the "foreknew". "Foreknew" represents the elect. In essence, Paul is saying that because he is of the elect, a Jew, and is saved, that there are/will be other Jews who are also of the elect and will also be saved. This is confirmed in 11:5 where he says "a remnant according to the election of grace"; that is, those Jews who are saved are not saved because of their physical linage but because they are of the elect - the same way that everyone else who becomes saved are saved - God chose them individually for such.
Again, God will not save anyone because they are of the nation of Israel. He divorced Israel and instead marries the spiritual Church. Everyone who becomes saved must be so only because God had placed them within it - the Church is now His bride, the nation of Israel is not.

[Rom 11:2, 5 KJV]
2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, ...
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

[Gal 3:28-29 KJV]
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

[Jhn 3:28-29 KJV]
28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

[Rev 21:1-2 KJV]
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

It represents the end of the world when the fulness of the Gentiles is come in - God plan comes to fruition then and this world destroyed.
In this context "Gentiles is come in" does not represent non-Jews, it represents the elect who have not yet been born-again - become the true Jews. The verse is saying that when all those who are to become born-again and made true Jews (true believers in Christ) are complete, it is the end.
Remember there is/will be a spiritual Israel and God often uses the same terms to refer to it as He did the earthly Israel,
nevertheless, they are completely different entities.
"Jacob" is used by God to differentiate the spiritual seed to the earthly -it is not the earthly seed.
The "all Israe will be saved" means that all spiritual Israel will be saved, not the nation of Israel. For it to mean
earthly Israel would be a logical impossibility.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Romans 11

Do you believe the cut off branches will be save as part of all Israel?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes, the scriptures do teach that we all have a fleshly nature. Paul speaks of this in Rom 7:18-25.

We all were born into this world as natural sinful beings, (1 Cor 2:14). without any knowledge of spiritual things, until God quickens us to the new spiritual life, (Eph 2:1-5), with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Before we were quickened, we only had one nature. After God quickened us, we now have two nathers, our fleshly nature, and our spiritual nature, and these two natures war against each other, as Paul explains in Rom 7:18-25.
Thank you for sharing your testimony, Forest. I very much enjoy learning about how people came to believe. Some very well known apologists came to belief while trying to disprove Bible Truths. I cannot easily respond further at this time because I'm on my phone and it's very difficult to post on it. Normally I'm on my laptop.