Does entering into Jesus' rest mean we're to give up the Sabbath day? Is the 4th commandment part of the moral law of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Ok how about I say it like this instead of you twisting what I said,

What day of the week do you consider the sabbath? that is what I was asking not were it is written, your dodging.
Pot meet kettle...

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Funny I get accused of twisting what someone said when most everything I have said gets twisted according to their belief of what I believe.... which is why I replied pot meet kettle...

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I think it's pretty clear that my Sabbath is 7th day rest Sabbath God spoke about at the end of His creation week... never was any dodging. Although I did own a Dodge Charger once it was the worst car I ever owned bought it new and it was a lemon off the lot...

So not very fond of Dodges...

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Then maybe you should stop.

Rest is NOT working at the law. Sabbath keeping is working at the law.

Ceasing from work is exactly that. Ceasing does NOT mean continue to work.

The REASON why Christians can cease from their work at the law is BECAUSE their work at the law will NOT make them Righteous before God.

Christians Rest from their work at the law and abide in Christ because CHRIST IS THEIR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

By going back to your work at the law you make a mockery of Christ and what He has done.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:11-12
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

You are really confused. I wonder if it is by indoctrination or if you did it to yourself. Your work at the law DOES NOT honor God. If it did then there would be no need for the Lord Jesus Christ or Christianity. A prophet could have come instead and said "Continue to work at the law because it honors God and makes Him happy".
Please explain
Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

You take the first verse below but ignore the rest.
Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

We have been delivered from the law which points out sin (Breaking the law) but do we make it void?

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

I'm free from sin (the law points it out) by grace, but i live in Christ and obey the law by grace because i am saved.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The Sabbath is not mention. You are being subjective. We must not add what is not there.
You're not listening nor discerning. I stand on what I said. If you trust in anything else, i.e. abstaining from certain foods, observing the Sabbath, new moons, feasts, etc., or any other works as a requirement for salvation, then you are not trusting in Jesus, period. I know what I'm talking about, because I've gone through this same conversation for years. We are not under the Law! So stop teaching it, or will be held accountable for it. Many are going to expect to enter into the kingdom of God and won't be able to because of this very reason. To those who trusted in their own efforts by attempting to meet the requirements of the law instead of trusting in the Lord as the One who fulfilled the law, they will not be able to enter in.

L

LPT

I think it's pretty clear that my Sabbath is 7th day rest Sabbath God spoke about at the end of His creation week... never was any dodging. Although I did own a Dodge Charger once it was the worst car I ever owned bought it new and it was a lemon off the lot...

So not very fond of Dodges...
It's Settled then, Saturday as I thought... Should of got a challenger... lol

L

LPT

Funny I get accused of twisting what someone said when most everything I have said gets twisted according to their belief of what I believe.... which is why I replied pot meet kettle...
Did you feel convicted.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
These debates are due to people not realizing that a day as we know it, takes on a different meaning when talking about the first and last days. Time in the beginning, (creation) and time in the end days, (eternity) are not our 24 hour weekly cycle. A day in the sight of God is a continuous age. God rested on the seventh day because it was finished and is for all time. God did not restart work when the seventh literal day was ended, or the world would end and be recreated every six days and life for us would be one day long. Which it is in the sight of God. God's day of rest, which is perpetual or everlasting cannot be compared to our weekly seven day cycle. Our seventh day, when it comes will also be everlasting, hopefully in the presence of Jesus. The two 'days' our day, and God's day, cannot be compared.

H3117
יוֹם
yôm
yome
From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially): - age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.
Total KJV occurrences: 2295

L

LPT

These debates are due to people not realizing that a day as we know it, takes on a different meaning when talking about the first and last days. Time in the beginning, (creation) and time in the end days, (eternity) are not our 24 hour weekly cycle. A day in the sight of God is a continuous age. God rested on the seventh day because it was finished and is for all time. God did not restart work when the seventh literal day was ended, or the world would end and be recreated every six days and life for us would be one day long. Which it is in the sight of God. God's day of rest, which is perpetual or everlasting cannot be compared to our weekly seven day cycle. Our seventh day, when it comes will also be everlasting, hopefully in the presence of Jesus. The two 'days' our day, and God's day, cannot be compared.

H3117
יוֹם
yôm
yome
From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially): - age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.
Total KJV occurrences: 2295
if one could gaze on a solar year the time it takes for the earth to go around the sun one time and a cosmic year the time the sun goes around the center of the galaxy one time, if one so believe happens surely would be quite the sight to see at one time.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
if one could gaze on a solar year the time it takes for the earth to go around the sun one time and a cosmic year the time the sun goes around the center of the galaxy one time, if one so believe happens surely would be quite the sight to see at one time.
What amazes me is the length of time it takes for light to travel from distant stars to earth. It is even more amazing when we consider light travels at 186,000 miles per second. The size of the universe is truly amazing.

Astronomers have observed a star that's so far away, its light took 9 billion years to reach us here on Earth. This is about 4.5 billion years before our solar system even existed. LINK

And then people say the earth was created in seven of our earth days.

We need to understand that a 'day' in the Bible does not necessarily mean 24 hours.

L

LPT

What amazes me is the length of time it takes for light to travel from distant stars to earth. It is even more amazing when we consider light travels at 186,000 miles per second. The size of the universe is truly amazing.

Astronomers have observed a star that's so far away, its light took 9 billion years to reach us here on Earth. This is about 4.5 billion years before our solar system even existed. LINK

We need to understand that a 'day' in the Bible does not necessarily mean 24 hours.
Quite fascinating indeed, have you heard of HE 1523

HE 1523-0901 is the designation given to a red giant star in the Milky Way galaxy approximately 7500 light years from Earth. It is thought to be a second generation, Population II, or metal-poor, star ([Fe/H] = −2.95). The star was found in the sample of bright metal-poor halo stars from the Hamburg/ESO Survey by Anna Frebel and collaborators. The group's research was published in the May 10, 2007 issue of The Astrophysical Journal.

The star's age, as measured by ESO's Very Large Telescope, is 13.2 billion years. This makes it among the oldest stars and nearly as old as the estimated age of the universe itself (13.8 billion years as measured by Planck). The measurement uncertainty in the age estimate is 0.7 to 2.7 billion years, depending upon the assumptions made to estimate the uncertainty, although the uncertainty in the relative age of this and other stars using the same method is smaller. HE 1523-0901 is the first star whose age was determined using the decay of the radioactive elements uranium and thorium in tandem with measurements of several neutron capture elements. It is believed to have formed directly from the remnants of the first-generation stars that reached the end of their longevity and exploded as supernovae early in the history of known matter.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Quite fascinating indeed, have you heard of HE 1523

HE 1523-0901 is the designation given to a red giant star in the Milky Way galaxy approximately 7500 light years from Earth. It is thought to be a second generation, Population II, or metal-poor, star ([Fe/H] = −2.95). The star was found in the sample of bright metal-poor halo stars from the Hamburg/ESO Survey by Anna Frebel and collaborators. The group's research was published in the May 10, 2007 issue of The Astrophysical Journal.

The star's age, as measured by ESO's Very Large Telescope, is 13.2 billion years. This makes it among the oldest stars and nearly as old as the estimated age of the universe itself (13.8 billion years as measured by Planck). The measurement uncertainty in the age estimate is 0.7 to 2.7 billion years, depending upon the assumptions made to estimate the uncertainty, although the uncertainty in the relative age of this and other stars using the same method is smaller. HE 1523-0901 is the first star whose age was determined using the decay of the radioactive elements uranium and thorium in tandem with measurements of several neutron capture elements. It is believed to have formed directly from the remnants of the first-generation stars that reached the end of their longevity and exploded as supernovae early in the history of known matter.
Thank you for the information, I hadn't heard of it I admit. I feel concern for people like the young earthers who say the earth is only ten thousand years old. My concern is based on a fear that each and every error in our understanding of scripture can take us further and further away from the Lord and into the realm of the cults, which causes me to be concerned for peoples salvation. :(

L

LPT

Thank you for the information, I hadn't heard of it I admit. I feel concern for people like the young earthers who say the earth is only ten thousand years old. My concern is based on a fear that each and every error in our understanding of scripture can take us further and further away from the Lord and into the realm of the cults, which causes me to be concerned for peoples salvation. :(
In my opinion things like how old the earth isn’t a salvation base teaching per say, so even if folks go all cult like on believing mountains are a mere 10k old might be of a little ignorance but wouldn’t say loose salvation. It’s like what man can travel beyond this tiny tiny tiny times a million small solar system anyhow hehe... day is like a million years a minute. the formation of three, uni,gal,sol sort of at once with different completion rates

PS

Jan 11, 2013
In my opinion things like how old the earth isn’t a salvation base teaching per say, so even if folks go all cult like on believing mountains are a mere 10k old might be of a little ignorance but wouldn’t say loose salvation. It’s like what man can travel beyond this tiny tiny tiny times a million small solar system anyhow hehe... day is like a million years a minute. the formation of three, uni,gal,sol sort of at once with different completion rates
Maybe I worry too much. :)

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia

Can God create the Earth in 6 literal days? Is it possible for God to do this?

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Can God create the Earth in 6 literal days? Is it possible for God to do this?
What we see is God's creation, and the way we see it, is the way He created it.

The earth formed slowly, as did the continents that took millions of years to move to their present position.

Time was involved, and that is how the earth was formed.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Please explain
Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

You take the first verse below but ignore the rest.
Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

We have been delivered from the law which points out sin (Breaking the law) but do we make it void?

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

I'm free from sin (the law points it out) by grace, but i live in Christ and obey the law by grace because i am saved.
GROSS CONCEPTUAL ERROR.

Romans 3:31 Keep reading it. It is explaining that even though we aren't under the law, and are in fact DEAD to the law, our faith in Christ DOESN'T cause us to break the Spiritual Law, in fact the Spiritual Fruit that is produced in us by Christ ESTABLISHES the law.

Now read Romans 7:6 Now we are delivered from the law being dead wherein we were held.

That's more expounding by Paul on the what he was expressing in Romans 3:31. We are DEAD to the law and now serve in the Spirit. Meaning we abide in Christ, trusting in Christ alone, and don't work at the law.

We aren't free from sin, especially not by our work at the law. The ONLY time we are free from sin is when we are abiding in Christ.

If you had any ability to obey the law then there would be no need for Christ or Christianity.

Galatians 2:19-21
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

This shouldn't have to be explained to Christians. If you are DEAD to the law then you are obviously not still working at it.

You don't look to the law to try to obey it with your carnal understanding when you are dead to it.

2 Corinthians 3:6-9
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Galatians 3:10-12
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Do you understand these scriptures in 2 Corinthians 3 and Galatians 3? I suppose if you did you wouldn't be twisting Romans the way you do.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
There remaineth therefore a rest (Sabbath keeping) to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest (the Gospel), he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
(Heb 4:9-10 KJV)

How do we cease from our own works?

As GOD did from HIS. That is the REST we are to enter. HE stopped working on the Seventh Day. So we stop working on the Seventh Day. That is how GOD did from HIS. He did not cease doing HIS own works of righteousness. . He is our righteousness through Faith; through Christ. He is Holy and so are we through the Gospel Rest.

HE STOPPED WORKING ON THE SEVENTH DAY. Plain and simple. So we stop working on the Seventh Day AS HE DID, and because we now stand in the righteousness of Christ through Faith we honor HIM by doing those things that are pleasing to HIS sight. We keep the day holy.
And how do you keep working as God does?

John 5
16 Now because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews began to persecute Him.
17 but Jesus answered them, “To this very day My father is at His work, and I too am working.”
The post you responded to speaks on Hebrews four and the fact that
There remaineth therefore a rest (Sabbath keeping) to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest (the Gospel), he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
(Heb 4:9-10 KJV)

And How we cease from our own works like GOD did from HIS. How did GOD cease from HIS own works.

HE stopped working on the Seventh Day. So we stop working on the Seventh Day. That is how GOD did from HIS. He did not cease doing HIS own works of righteousness. . He is our righteousness through Faith; through Christ. He is Holy and so are we through the Gospel Rest.

HE STOPPED WORKING ON THE SEVENTH DAY. Plain and simple. So we stop working on the Seventh Day AS HE DID, and because we now stand in the righteousness of Christ through Faith we honor HIM by doing those things that are pleasing to HIS sight. We keep the day holy.

HIS works, which are of righteousness are done always. So as it is for us through Christ.