Does God have any regard for man's outward appearance?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kim82

I used to be under the impression that if a Christian had any tattoo, then they must have got them before they became a Christian. But now I know that that isn't always the case.

Scripture says that God does not look at outward appearance. 1Sam 16:7

I've heard people make the claim that, God said you should come as you are. I'm not sure if this is an actual scripture, by the way. But I know there is a song:

Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee
O Lamb of God, I come! I come…

What about multiple piercings on the ear or other parts of the body? Is that OK?

Is cosmetic surgery any different than makeup or hair extensions and dyes, since all of of them can be used to change or alter ones appearance? Does a Christian who dyes their grey hair have a right to criticise the one who does cosmetic surgery?

Aside from those things, does God care about our appearance in general or is it the case that some people are just too old fashioned?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I believe that what is most important to God is how the inside of our heart looks. I don't have any tattoos or piercing. In Florida it used to be possible to get a branding too but that seems extreme. No thanks. Spiritually, I don't see how tattoos and piercings are improper and wouldn't judge someone because of this.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I used to be under the impression that if a Christian had any tattoo, then they must have got them before they became a Christian. But now I know that that isn't always the case.

I've heard people make the claim that, God said you should come as you are. I'm not sure if this is an actual scripture, by the way. But I know there is a song:

What about multiple piercings on the ear or other parts of the body? Is that OK?

Is cosmetic surgery any different than makeup or hair extensions and dyes, since all of of them can be used to change or alter ones appearance? Does a Christian who dyes their grey hair have a right to criticise the one who does cosmetic surgery?

Aside from those things, does God care about our appearance in general or is it the case that some people are just too old fashioned?
For me, body piercing, tatos, cosmetics, unseemly attire etc are not a problem, I do not indulge. As for otehrs, if someone has a pierced ear or whatever, or does any of the above so as to appear better within the boundaries of of moderation, that is to say, not extreme, , I see nothng wrong. As for the extreme, I do not fault eithr, but they must remewmber they will have to live with that exstreme or live it down.

Teh Father look at the hearts of men (women) so this opinion of mine is just that. I love people no matter what they tend to trend because Jesus loves sthem first.........all love in Jesus, Yeshua............

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Yes God does care very much about our outward appearance -
we are not to be conformed to the world but are expected to be separate and distinct in our lifestyles and morals, etc ...

3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewellery, or the clothing you wear—
4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in
God's sight is very precious.
1Peter 3:
while there are scripture references to women and modesty of dress I cannot see why this would be not applicable to men
as being sober and of a good testimony to the unsaved of the world.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yet we are taught never to judge by appearances but wiwth right judgement. You may put that next to the teaching we are to refrain from anything that could appear evil…………...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...does God care about our appearance in general...
God gave the priests in the OT very specific instructions about their outward appearance. They could not enter His presence without following those instructions. Christians are king-priests. So draw your own conclusions.

God also gave men and women specific instructions about their outward appearance. So to say that He does not care would be false.

God also gave Moses and David very specific instructions about the outward and inward appearance of the tabernacle and temple.

When we read that God looks on the heart and not the outward appearance, that is in a different context. It means that God does not make superficial judgments.

Today's trend to be casual and sloppy during worship is actually a show of irreverence. And bringing coffee, soft drinks, and iPhones into a service is more than irreverence. That is adding insult to injury.

As to tattoos, they are taboo for Christians. They are good for pagans and criminals.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

The grey hair thing...in the Bible it says grey hair is a crown of glory...and Jesus hair is white in Revelation.

I dont understand why people want to dye their grey hair I think they want to disguise that they are older and wiser and prefer to look young and immature. Its a flesh thing. Also many hair dyes are chemical and poisonous who knows what you putting on your hair?! It will go into your brain cos skin absorbs all those chemicals...people that bleach their hair I dont understand either. God also says you cant make one hair white or black. He know the number of hairs on your head....

In the Bible ear piercing is a sign that someone is a slave. I think today people think it might be cool but really think about it we arent born with holes in our ears. Jesus was pierced...but in his hands and his feet on the cross!

Thinking on this God did make curcumcision for the Israelite boys a thing when they are eight days old as a token of his convenant, but of course thats in private parts its not like he told them to cut some of their ears off which everyone can see...

M

Miri

In bible times they wore jewellery and nose rings.

Genesis 24:47,52-53 NLT
[47] "Then I asked, 'Whose daughter are you?' She replied, 'I am the daughter of Bethuel, and my grandparents are Nahor and Milcah.' So I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her wrists. [52] When Abraham's servant heard their answer, he bowed down to the ground and worshiped the LORD. [53] Then he brought out silver and gold jewelry and clothing and presented them to Rebekah. He also gave expensive presents to her brother and mother.

M

Miri

Also this is what God did for his chosen people metaphorically speaking.
He was preparing His bride

Ezekiel 16:9-14 NLT
[9] "Then I bathed you and washed off your blood, and I rubbed fragrant oils into your skin. [10] I gave you expensive clothing of fine linen and silk, beautifully embroidered, and sandals made of fine goatskin leather. [11] I gave you lovely jewelry, bracelets, beautiful necklaces, [12] a ring for your nose, earrings for your ears, and a lovely crown for your head. [13] And so you were adorned with gold and silver. Your clothes were made of fine linen and costly fabric and were beautifully embroidered. You ate the finest foods-choice flour, honey, and olive oil-and became more beautiful than ever. You looked like a queen, and so you were! [14] Your fame soon spread throughout the world because of your beauty. I dressed you in my splendor and perfected your beauty, says the Sovereign LORD.

Feb 28, 2016
the problem with 'adornments' for 'most' of the human-race is that the 'vanity' corrupts the mind -

as Miri quoted EZ. 16:9-14,
God loves giving jewels and gold to His beloved's, but, as God says in
EZ. 16:15-18.....
But you did trust in your own beauty, and played the harlot because of your renown, and poured out
your fornications on every one that passed by; his it was.

as Miri posted Gen. 24:47-52-53. = that the 'righteous' won't be 'self-enamored' with
beautiful (metal & stone)...

as Waggles quoted;
3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewellery, or the clothing you wear—
4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in
God's sight is very precious.
1Peter 3:
while there are scripture references to women and modesty of dress I cannot see why this would be not applicable to men
as being sober and of a good testimony to the unsaved of the world.

do you think that it could be about the (value) that one puts upon themselves for 'self-importance'???
or what???

S

SpoonJuly

Would not the money spent on these things be better spent on helping those in need?
It is my understanding that many of the things mentioned are very costly.
I am as God created me. Those who have issue with my natural looks, it is their problem.

Feb 28, 2016
amen, Spoon,
God GAVE, in the Book of Ezekiel, and they didn't go-out and FETCH them!...
:):)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... does God have any regard for man's outward appearance?

Well the Bible says we are supposed to dress modestly. Don't be showing off our bodies with too little or too tight clothing.

It also seems God places a lot of importance on different genders looking different. It appears God wants people to be able to know at a glance whether you are a guy or girl.

Aside from that... it all depends on your motive. Just like so many other things. Are you dying your hair, or getting cosmetic surgery, or applying makeup - for a reason that is NOT "because I think I look prettier this way" or "I think I should look more like what people around me think I should look like"? In other words, is your motive vanity?

There are some legitimate reasons for using these things. You can't just slap a label on stuff and say "this is good" and "this is bad." Makeup can be used to hide a very visible facial mark that makes people stare at you. Cosmetic surgery could be correcting a facial disfigurement. There are lots of good reasons for using these things.

There are also a lot of vain reasons for using them. So it all comes back to: What is your motive?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
If you take someone who's covered in tattoo's, has tons of piercings, never wears nice 'church clothes', even to church and is 'conformed' in their appearance, but lives daily for God with a passion. Then take one who has the 'right appearance' of a Christian, but is lukewarm, which one does God find more honorable?
Those that teach 'no conforming to the world' as an argument against tatoos and piecings are actually equally as guilty. Because that non-coformist is actually living to a standard set by their local society and culture. Wearing a suit and tie to church has nothing to do with God and everything to do with a false religious appearance.
How can a group be 'all things to all men' by setting up a strict dress code, found nowhere in the bible, and labeling it as being Christian? Then think they'll have any impact on the rest of the world that doesn't find that as something they can relate to? Christian Bubble Syndrome causes more problems than it provides answers.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God does not have any regard for man's outward appearance. God knows no matter what a man may appear not all who profess are in possession of that which they claim.

Dress for church as your heart dictates. If you think it ok to come into Gods house the same way you go to the golf course then so be it. I will continue to wear my old fashioned and out dated suit and tie out of old fashioned respect for Gods house and Gods people.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont wear a suit or tie it feels weird. I usually wear a dress or my best clean clothes so...no pyjamas or work uniform...only rich people can afford to play golf....but as far as I know when you play golf you dont need to wear special clothes. All other sports you do. If I turned up in netball skirt it would also be kinda strange.

Some churches they wear special choir robes but I dont relly go to those kinds of churches. It would be kinda cool if you did go to church and you all had clothes provided for you. Every meeting would be like a wedding.

In the Bible Jesus said we are to be clothed in wedding garments and chucked out if we refused or forgot to wear them...but I think he meant spiritually clothed in garments of praise. Any clothes that people say wow that looks GOOD on you, you can wear.

K

Kim82

Is it possible that we are distracted by too many things in life? Do we really need to be doing everything that the world does? If the world says something is cool, should Christians go along with it? If so, in what way are we being peculiar?

James 4:4
Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15-17
(15) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; (16) because everything in the world--the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life--does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. (17) Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Is it possible that we are distracted by too many things in life? Do we really need to be doing everything that the world does? If the world says something is cool, should Christians go along with it? If so, in what way are we being peculiar?

James 4:4
Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15-17
(15) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; (16) because everything in the world--the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life--does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. (17) Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.
Thank you for this understanding by the Word. Your share is like that gold of God…..

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Everyone needs to work out things like these with God and see if the Spirit convicts them against it, and be REALLY honest (which majority of people are not, they will do what they want to, even if convicted otherwise). In general, women are the glory of man and while we probably should not go around like slobs, cleanliness and order are godly principles, I agree with you that outward appearance does not have preeminence.

Long ago, I intended to get a tattoo of a cross, with a Greek acronym, saying Jesus Christ the Victorious. God spoke into my heart against this, reminding me He has given me a tattoo already (I have a heart shaped birthmark). Basically "I gave you a tattoo so you would know you were loved even in the time you hadn't believed it, so you already have a tattoo from Me". I felt it would be wrong to add man's art to His, so I decided not to get any tattoo.

Whether something is right or wrong depends on how honest the person is with themselves, and what are the motives of their heart. Are they trying to seek attention, deep down there? Are they trying to look cool or impress people? Are they trying to use body modification as a crutch, instead of God? Are they in bondage, obsessed about their looks? Do they believe that they are ugly, or similar lies from the enemy? All this factors in... I would not automatically judge, but the person who is obsessed with their appearance usually has some bondage or they've been bullied and ultimately need healing, not tattoos.

If someone is born with a serious deformity though, I do not see it as condemn-able to undergo plastic surgery (such as for cleft lip) but if they can overcome and be comfortable in their skin anyway, this is, of course, better. But correcting a deformity, something unhealthy, by surgery, I don't believe is sin. If these people had access to Jesus during His ministry on Earth, He would've healed them.

I lost the habit to dress up or use make up which I did when I was younger (and unsaved). I feel good in my own skin now. I don't have all the extra momentum and focus that I used to spend on physical appearance. For me, putting jewelry on yourself and taking it off every day, is something to focus your mind on and remember every day, and requires a willpower momentum that is ultimately wasted. If I wear jewelry I want it to be something simple I put on and forget it's there. I'm the same with my clothes. Most of it is black, just grab it and be ready. Life is full of various distractions as it is! I mean, this is the world and mentality we live in and have to fight:

going-on-youtube-justto-watcha5-minute-music-video-5-hours-4525420.png