Does God Hear Prayers of Backslidden Christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
The title says it all. Does He hear the prayers of those who keep backsliding, or who have strayed off the path to Him and are trying to return to Him? Or does He just ignore those prayers? If possible, bible verses would be great. :)

Nov 12, 2015
Yes, He does. The son who found himself eating the food of pigs thought to return to his fathers house and his father saw him while he was still aways off and went running to him and rushing about telling everyone to make preparations for a feast. :)

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
All Christians are backsliders, if that means if a Christian sins they are seperated from God.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I mean, like a person who strayed so far off the path, and they feel that they'll never find it again. And no matter what they do or how hard they try, they just keep running into obstacles.

Yes, He does. The son who found himself eating the food of pigs thought to return to his fathers house and his father saw him while he was still aways off and went running to him and rushing about telling everyone to make preparations for a feast. :)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Christians sin every day. Whether it's a swear word that comes out of someone's mouth, or a lustful thought or whatever... It's a good thing we have God's constant forgiveness.. :)

All Christians are backsliders, if that means if a Christian sins they are seperated from God.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Joh 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nov 12, 2015
I mean, like a person who strayed so far off the path, and they feel that they'll never find it again. And no matter what they do or how hard they try, they just keep running into obstacles.
They only have to return to trusting (abiding) and stop whatever they are trying so hard with. They only have to say: help me Father, I am lost and don't know how to return, please come for me.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
The title says it all. Does He hear the prayers of those who keep backsliding, or who have strayed off the path to Him and are trying to return to Him? Or does He just ignore those prayers? If possible, bible verses would be great. :)
Isa 1:11-20
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
KJV

When a person is in active rebellion, NO

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
KJV

When we seek to restore fellowship, YES

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Romans 10:13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Now it says the word all not some or most and believe me we all have been at the point where we have strayed and have called out to him to save us and bring us back on the path of righteousness even the strongest and most passionate of believers have backslidden yet even then he hears our cries and our prayers

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
OK, I'll be even more specific. :) What if someone is struggling with the issue of forgiveness? They're trying to forgive someone for hurts of the past (and present) that they've carried all these years. Yes, I'm talking about myself. I've tried and tried, and still AM, but I'm not sure I can forgive or even if I truly can.. Time isn't on my side, and if I can't forgive these people, then I won't be forgiven and probably won't be allowed into heaven. :/

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
OK, I'll be even more specific. :) What if someone is struggling with the issue of forgiveness? They're trying to forgive someone for hurts of the past (and present) that they've carried all these years. Yes, I'm talking about myself. I've tried and tried, and still AM, but I'm not sure I can forgive or even if I truly can.. Time isn't on my side, and if I can't forgive these people, then I won't be forgiven and probably won't be allowed into heaven. :/
Blue we all have our stength's and weaknesses, for me forgives comes naturally but for others it might not. God is well aware of how hard forgiveness is for you but he intends to help you come to a place of forgiveness in time. Healing is hardly ever instant and sometimes it takes years possibly even more than half of someones life for those wounds to be healed enough to be able to forgive fully but that in now way will halt your entry into heaven if it was that easy none of us would have any chance of heaven at all.

Besides blue you have helped so many people on here just with your testimonies alone I can't imagine he would keep someone who has used so much to help others out the gates of his kingdom. Just keep seeking him out everyday and keep praying for him to allow you to forgive and in time he will bring you to that point

Nov 12, 2015

Do you hold so much unforgiveness for the person that you would literally want them to die the second death? That you would literally want them to go to hell?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Does not compute.

Entrance into heaven is not contingent upon you but on Christ. Yes your walk with Christ should reflect His forgiveness upon your antagonists. You are not perfect and you are not expected to be perfect until you are glorified with Christ. Keep being faithful to Him Who has saved you.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Yes I do hold much unforgiveness. Believe me, mom will go to heaven.. It's ME that I'm not sure about.. What if she dies before I can forgive her? So much hurt, I dunno if I can..

Do you hold so much unforgiveness for the person that you would literally want them to die the second death? That you would literally want them to go to hell?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The Prodigal son...

Luke 15:21-22 KJV
[21] And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. [22] But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

Nov 12, 2015
Yes I do hold much unforgiveness. Believe me, mom will go to heaven.. It's ME that I'm not sure about.. What if she dies before I can forgive her? So much hurt, I dunno if I can..
So you are saying you wish God would not save her?

FlSnookman7

Jun 27, 2015
I have found that when I am able to forgive, I am the one who benefits. I have also found this a very difficult thing to do at times. My biological father left when I was young and it has taken me a long time to forgive him. For quite some time I prayed for him, I did not want to but I did anyway. After a time I asked someone for advice and this is what I did. I went to the alter and saw in my mind a smaller alter. I put my anger and hurt on that alter and asked God to take it away. Did it work? Nope. Not right then, but I kept at it and one day it was not gone but different. I started thinking about how much I had been forgiven, then I realized that all that hurt was just holding me prisoner for something I had no control over. Is that forgiveness? I don't know. I do know that your place in Heaven is assured because Jesus loves you and has made you righteous and while your ability to forgive will affect your life here, it will NOT in any way determine your salvation.

TrevorAR

Mar 22, 2018
[h=1]1 John 3:20-23[/h] [SUP]20 [/SUP]For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. [SUP]21 [/SUP]Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. [SUP]22 [/SUP]And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. [SUP]23 [/SUP]And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us[SUP][a][/SUP] commandment.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I'm not saying that at all. :) She IS saved. But MY unforgiveness of her is something I'm desperately trying to deal with...

Even if I didn't forgive her, she wouldn't go to hell. :confused:

So you are saying you wish God would not save her?

J

JB2018

All Christians are not backsliders. Backsliders are those who have known the Lord and then turn away from following him. For example, a Christian may sin and repent. However, a backslider continues in that sin. They do not acknowledge the sin in their life and allow it separate them from God.