Does God make Christians sick to take them home?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
This answer to this question is the same as for the question: Why does God permit so much unfair suffering in this world?
The general answer is: God does not micro-manage the universe and its laws. "All are victims of time and chance (Ecclesiastes 9:11)."
Of course, divine judgment is an exception to this rule (e. g. Hezekiah).

Dooms

Feb 8, 2018
The injustice we suffer in this age is in fact a call to be greatly just in our dealings with it.

Feb 14, 2019
He knows what lay ahead of us when we do not, He cares for His own. Nothing He does or does not do is against His own. I think personally that He will intervene to take someone out of this world rather than allow their conscience to be harmed as well as their heart and soul, not for their bad instead for their good, preservation and keeping. Hurts those who lost them while knowing they are taken care of by Him and actually it helps those who know that and see the good He allowed not the bad. It comforts those still living here to know He cares for His people.
Personally I have seen this happen and the way it come into being was never foreseen by the one it happened to, they were never troubled or burdened with that in which they had no control over. I also know that asking for them not die continuously before they were killed did not change His will He knows what is best for us even if we do not. Years later I come to see what He prevented the person from being harmed by and know that person would have been very hurt by it heart and mind wise, took decades passing to see the out come of what lay ahead of the person who loved The Lord Jesus Christ and served joyfully for Him.
He is trustworthy and loves us and works for our good not our bad.
Matthew 10:29 -30

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Christians die as with everyone else. Its part of the curse placed on humanity. Sickness is one way to end our lives. Most people would prefer to die in their sleep.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Not necessarily. Christians can also get sick because of their own negligence, or carelessness, or whatever. Unhealthy eating, drinking, lack of exercise, stressful living, etc. can all be contributing factors. And there are some professing Christians who continue to smoke or drink alcohol.

At the same time, each person has their allotted time on earth, and that *bullet* won't find you before that time. The main thing for Christians should be redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
No, everyone gets sick.. We begin to die the minute we are born, but sickness is not induced specifically to 'take someone home'. We simply check-out when our number randomly comes up.. jmo

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

It is written we have sickness due t our own sin. Now, it is not beyond my understanding that our Father may use an illness or any mishap in order to guide us His wayi...but only out of love, just as when we are obliged to discipline any child of our own.... It is never done out of malice, always out of love.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi learner,
I have come to believe that God never makes Christians sick... He allows us to be sick, but making us sick is altogether different. If we study Scripture abt God healing in the NT, for example, He wants to make us well, not the other way round at all.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
So many good posts in this thread so far!
IMO, it is not God who does the 'making' someone sick. In this life it is effectively the enemy (not God) that does the making sick. God may allow it but my understanding is that the devils carry out the dirty work...basically because that kind of work is against God's nature. He is come that you might have life and have it more abundantly, whereas the devil comes to steal, to kill, and to destroy

John 10:10 KJV
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

God just has a way of making all things turn out for good (death/sickness included) to them that love Him. (He's pretty awesome) :)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
All the days ordained for us were written before one of them came to be (Psalm 139:16). Sickness is a result of living in a fallen creation in weak bodies of flesh. God may allow sickness within the framework of His sovereign will, but it doesn't seem consistent with His character to inflict sickness just to take someone out of this world. When the time came for Aaron and Moses to die, they just died, though their bodies weren't broken by sickness.

Aug 2, 2009
In the story of Job, God allowed the devil to take his health, but He specifically told the devil that he was not allowed to take his life.

So to be precise, God allows the devil to make people sick (for reasons only HE would know - in Job's case it was to prove his faith).
But only God decides if and when that person dies.

Mar 28, 2016
He keeps them alive until he takes us home. Sickness is natural . Its what a corrupted creation does... suffer the ailments of dying. Being born with a corrupted body as well as a corrupted spirit. A man must be born again.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Getting sick.. Or any other path to physical death is just the background noise of living in a fallen world in corruptible flesh bodies.. Sooner or later something is going to lead to our bodies giving up our Spirits into eternity..

Now can God intervene to cause one of these ways of exiting this world to come upon us ?

Yes i believe He can..

Now can God intervene to prevent one of these ways of existing this world ? to remove it from us..

Yes i believe He can..

But i suspect He allows our personal histories to run to their foreknown course most of the time..

It's all about His will, not our will..

And i firmly believe that physical death should not be seen by Christians as some kind of punishment.. People have to consider that sometimes God is favoring a person whom He allows to exit this life earlier then what we consider the average life duration is..

I know i would like to be granted an early mark out of this school.. If the LORD calls me tonight that would be wonderful.. Free at last,, Free at last, It would be wonderful to be free from this world A.S.A.P ..

7seasrekeyed

I don't think God 'makes' anyone sick but He does allow sickness, disease and an awful lot of suffering in this world

fallen mankind = fallen world

the Bible reveals all of creation is suffering under this load of sin

yes sin causes death and decay and all this was set in motion on that day in the garden

we often suffer for our own disobedience, Christian or not...there still are consequences although God does mercifully intervene at times

there are many sides to your question and because of the nature of the ripple effect of sin, many things to consider

does God sometimes take a believer 'home' early? I think He just might do so under certain conditions but it does not have to be through sickness

Mar 28, 2016
No I don't believe God makes anyone sick and I believe He is willing to heal.

Amen he keeps us alive until he takes us home. Sickness, dying came because of the fall. New bodies because of the ressurection.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Psalm 116:
15Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of His saints.

Isa 57:
1The righteous perish,
and no one takes it to heart;
devout men are swept away,
with none considering
that the righteous are guided
from the presence of evil.

2Those who walk uprightly enter into peace;
they find rest, lying down in death.

Matt 24:21For at that time there will be great tribulation, unmatched from the beginning of the world until now, and never to be seen again. 22If those days had not been cut short, nobody would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, those days will be shortened.