Does scripture tell us the law of the Lord is dead?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Paul wrote to the Galatians speaking of the law when the Jews told the gentiles they must obey all the earthly commands God gave them for before Christ came and wrote His law on our hearts. Paul had spoken with James about this, it was decided that everyone must only obey laws that allowed admittance in synagogue so they could learn about the one true God. Some say what Paul wrote applies to all laws, including the ten commandments. Does it?

Christ said law would never change. Matt. 5: 17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Christ told us the way the law changed when that same law was given in stone to that given in our hearts. Christ took it from earthly, physical rules to heavenly rules as was the original intent. Christ said “you have been told” and “but I tell you.”

Psalm 119 serves well as a good preface to the subject of the law. We can read Psalms as truth inspired by God. The first thing to note is the range of specific words by which the law is called: testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, ordinances, ways, and word. The theme of this Psalm is the blessings that being guided by the law brings.

Is the teaching in scripture telling us our behavior should not be guided by the law?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I find nothing in the Ten Commandments to be at fault. May our Father forgive any who do.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Paul wrote to the Galatians speaking of the law when the Jews told the gentiles they must obey all the earthly commands God gave them for before Christ came and wrote His law on our hearts. Paul had spoken with James about this, it was decided that everyone must only obey laws that allowed admittance in synagogue so they could learn about the one true God. Some say what Paul wrote applies to all laws, including the ten commandments. Does it?

Christ said law would never change. Matt. 5: 17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Christ told us the way the law changed when that same law was given in stone to that given in our hearts. Christ took it from earthly, physical rules to heavenly rules as was the original intent. Christ said “you have been told” and “but I tell you.”

Psalm 119 serves well as a good preface to the subject of the law. We can read Psalms as truth inspired by God. The first thing to note is the range of specific words by which the law is called: testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, ordinances, ways, and word. The theme of this Psalm is the blessings that being guided by the law brings.

Is the teaching in scripture telling us our behavior should not be guided by the law?
No. The Law is not dead. We are dead. The law is powerless to change our condition. All that it can do is convict and condemn. When person comes to Christ, the Law has done its job. Those who are born again are new creations in Christ. New creation, new covenant and new life. The old has passed away. There is a new law to match the new creation. It is the Law of the Spirit of Life. It is not written on stone. It is made manifest in the new heart of the believer. It is vastly superior to the Law on stone.

This is not an excuse to live in sin. If you are led by the Spirit, He is not going to lead you into sin.

How many well known Christian leaders have committed adultery? Way too many, some more than once. Did they not know the law? Of course they did. Did knowing law stop their evil behaviour? No it did not. Of course, we only know those whose sins come out into the open. How much more is hidden from man - but certainly not hidden from God.

The law is powerless. Only in Christ can we be free to live in a way that pleases God. Study the law, get a doctorate, absorb yourself in it - it will profit you nothing. Get to know Lord Jesus, who He is, who He is in you and who you are in Him, and victory is assured.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
No. The Law is not dead. We are dead. The law is powerless to change our condition. All that it can do is convict and condemn. When person comes to Christ, the Law has done its job.
I agree that the law cannot save us, only Christ can do that. But if you are correct that the ONLY job of the law is to condemn then I do not agree and neither does scripture.

I agree that it is one use of the law, but there are many, many other ways the law is to be used, also. It guides, enlightens, makes wise, brings us to Christ, it gives us the knowledge of sin so we can avoid sin, for just some of the other uses we are to make of the law. We are blessed when we use it to help follow Christ within us.

Romans 7:12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I agree that the law cannot save us, only Christ can do that. But if you are correct that the ONLY job of the law is to condemn then I do not agree and neither does scripture.

I agree that it is one use of the law, but there are many, many other ways the law is to be used, also. It guides, enlightens, makes wise, brings us to Christ, it gives us the knowledge of sin so we can avoid sin, for just some of the other uses we are to make of the law. We are blessed when we use it to help follow Christ within us.

Romans 7:12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
I know pretty much what you believe. I don't agree. I'm happy to leave it at that. If you keep posting, I will respond.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I know pretty much what you believe. I don't agree. I'm happy to leave it at that. If you keep posting, I will respond.
Please respond. Two minds who work at the same thing is so much better than working alone.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You just proved it would change.
Would you please post the law you think was changed? I did not find one.

We are told not to murder, not to lie, etc. Christ changed it, some think, but the change was not to cancel or make dead the command not to murder, lie and steal, but it was explained. The law not to murder, lie and steal remains.

I posted the LAW was written in stone, and there was a change when the LAW was written in our hearts. but the law in our hearts was the same law as the one written in stone. The presentation changed so the law became clearer to us, but the law has always been the law. God is eternal, not of time, and so is God's word eternal.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
[for me anyway] what is right and wrong according to God abideth for ever, but what is of none effect is ceremonies and rituals and formalism: it is the submitting to and relying upon the righteousness which is of God without ceremonies, rituals and formalism is what is dead and alive; for this is the worshipping God in spirit and in Truth, which are the true worshippers.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Would you please post the law you think was changed? I did not find one.

You posted it:

"not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You posted it:

"not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
Do you think everything has been accomplished? That would take us to the end of days, and I have heard no trumpet sound to announce the end. The world looks the very same today as it did yesterday.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
[for me anyway] what is right and wrong according to God abideth for ever, but what is of none effect is ceremonies and rituals and formalism: it is the submitting to and relying upon the righteousness which is of God without ceremonies, rituals and formalism is what is dead and alive; for this is the worshipping God in spirit and in Truth, which are the true worshippers.
You explained it well.

The command to cut skin was not a command to belong to God, it was a way of making them understand they were different and belonged to God. Christ brought God into our hearts and minds, we don't need those reminders any longer. They never were the law, they were like schoolmasters leading people to the law.

It was hard for the Jews of Jesus' day to understand for they had been taught from childhood that God required these rituals, and anyway, many did not see that they led to the real law.

John explained to the Jews of Philadelphia church that marking flesh did not make them Jews.
'

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
No. The Law is not dead. We are dead. The law is powerless to change our condition. All that it can do is convict and condemn. When person comes to Christ, the Law has done its job. Those who are born again are new creations in Christ. New creation, new covenant and new life. The old has passed away. There is a new law to match the new creation. It is the Law of the Spirit of Life. It is not written on stone. It is made manifest in the new heart of the believer. It is vastly superior to the Law on stone.

This is not an excuse to live in sin. If you are led by the Spirit, He is not going to lead you into sin.

How many well known Christian leaders have committed adultery? Way too many, some more than once. Did they not know the law? Of course they did. Did knowing law stop their evil behaviour? No it did not. Of course, we only know those whose sins come out into the open. How much more is hidden from man - but certainly not hidden from God.

The law is powerless. Only in Christ can we be free to live in a way that pleases God. Study the law, get a doctorate, absorb yourself in it - it will profit you nothing. Get to know Lord Jesus, who He is, who He is in you and who you are in Him, and victory is assured.
The NO.1. reasons christians fail and especially leaders is because they preach the law and the law magnifies sin and gives power to the flesh to commit sin.

Preaching the 10 commandments is for backsliders and will produce backsliding. Preaching GRACE will make us holy.

Jan 25, 2015
The NO.1. reasons christians fail and especially leaders is because they preach the law and the law magnifies sin and gives power to the flesh to commit sin.

Preaching the 10 commandments is for backsliders and will produce backsliding. Preaching GRACE will make us holy.
The no.1 reason you say? Wow man, what is the source of that assessment? What verse are we quoting here? :)

Grace is not a new concept. Grace was there while the God gave Moses the law and even before then... God has always been a God of grace.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
No, it's not. It's teaching that our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees:

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. For assuredly I say to you, until heaven and earth may pass away, one iota or one tittle shall by no means pass away from the law until all things are fulfilled. Whoever therefore shall break one of the least of these commandments, and shall teach men so, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."—Matthew 5:17-20.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021

Well Said Gideon300 -----I believe This is a Holy Spirit Driven Message Folks ------

All should read and take heed to this post by Gideon300 ------as it Speaks the Truth -------

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
No. The Law is not dead. We are dead.
The very precise and succinct answer. (y)

Romans 7:4 "Therefore, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God."

Romans 7:6 "But now, having died to what bound us, we have been released from the law, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Matthew 5:17-20 is a teaching about not subtracting from God's written word. Jesus said over and over: "It is written." The scribes and Pharisees made the oral law of more importance that the written word. Thus they took away from the commandments of God and nullified them. Jesus is simply saying no part of the written law will pass away until all is fulfilled. We can still learn from the moral law in the Tanakh and obey it, but we're not under the Law of Moses.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Your mixing up what Moses said with what Christ said Mixing up the law and gospel

“The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the kingdom wasn’t preached until John the law was and after the gospel is. The gospel fulfilled the prophecies in the law and prophets

“For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Gods law is what Jesus said his words will not change when he says my words he’s not saying Moses words but the words Jesus spoke

“Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:35‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the law on the other hand was fulfilled “ completed “ by Christ. Your mixing up the temporary law of Moses that was only meant to last until Christ came announcing Gods word

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the law isn’t made of the word of faith we can’t live by the law because it’s not of faith

“But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

( before the gospel came )

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:11-12, 23-25‬ ‭

The law did its job and convicted the world of sin and sentenced them to death now we have to go to Christ for salvstion

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
"Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law." - Romans 3:31 NKJV