Dressing modestly 1 Timothy 2:9

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
maybe it was something like this

IMG_1426.JPG

FENNER2

Apr 21, 2018
Is there anyone else that goes on here that dresses modest? Also, I have autism and I know I don't ask things the right way a lot of times but I hope I asked it the right way. I don't wear pants or jeans hardly ever and I have been made fun of about it sometimes.
You asked your question just fine. 🙂 I dress modestly. I think if you're more comfortable in a dress or a skirt or Khakis than jeans, then you should wear what you feel good in. I have two teens, a 15 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. Both have Autism, they do not like jeans. Speaking to many if my friends their teens don't like them either.

I grew up wearing jeans so I wear them quite a bit when the weather is cold. I can understand not finding them comfortable because sometimes they aren't. I will occasionally wear a long shirt or a dress with leggings, but I don't wear leggings with a short shirt because I'm self conscious. I am also 52 and I don't think I want to subject anyone to my imperfections. Lol

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Personally, I've always found women who dress modestly much more attractive than women who "let it all hang out", so to speak.

I've also never really been a fan of make-up on a woman.

My ex rarely wore make-up (not because I ever said anything about it), and I found her much more attractive without it than with it.
some women don't need make up

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
Is there anyone else that goes on here that dresses modest? Also, I have autism and I know I don't ask things the right way a lot of times but I hope I asked it the right way. I don't wear pants or jeans hardly ever and I have been made fun of about it sometimes.
You do what you feel led to wear. Nothing wrong with dresses.

JillianMarie

Apr 19, 2022
You do what you feel led to wear. Nothing wrong with dresses.
Thank you very much. I know a lot of gals wear pants and jeans plus most males prefer that on the female but I am honest how I dress but its not that modern.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I have so much respect for you. (y)

I belong to a Mennonite congregation where modesty is mandatory, but it blesses my soul when one acts voluntarily out of a desire to please the Lord by stiving to be holy in every way, both inside and out.

There is great peace and joy to be had when one knows they are doing all they can to exemplify holiness before the Father and the brethren.

Hebrews 12:14
“Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:”

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Wow....
You state that so diplomatically I feel so wrong by trying to argue with you....your eloquence is only surpassed by your manners....

:poop:
Love you, brother John.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Just in case anyone has forgotten Roman history..

Public bath houses that were not segregated between the sexes...in fact prostitution was legal and prolific at them.
Public latrines were not segregated either.

Public sex was common.
So were Public orgies.

Gymnasium is where the Christian communities often met...it was the city center. And usually there were people wrestling and in fitness training...usually in the nude (Very common) during the services at the gymnasium.

So when Paul says something about modesty...it has nothing to do with partial nudity....it has everything to do with free, wealthy citizens vs slaves so poor they dressed in practically rags.

And by today's standards some of it was ridiculous...wigs contained caged birds in them. (High dollar stuff back in the day)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Just in case anyone has forgotten Roman history..

Public bath houses that were not segregated between the sexes...in fact prostitution was legal and prolific at them.
Public latrines were not segregated either.

Public sex was common.
So were Public orgies.

Gymnasium is where the Christian communities often met...it was the city center. And usually there were people wrestling and in fitness training...usually in the nude (Very common) during the services at the gymnasium.

So when Paul says something about modesty...it has nothing to do with partial nudity....it has everything to do with free, wealthy citizens vs slaves so poor they dressed in practically rags.

And by today's standards some of it was ridiculous...wigs contained caged birds in them. (High dollar stuff back in the day)
We thank you soooo much for that tasty tidbit, brother John, but nobody wants to see your junk. :rolleyes::oops::sick:

Please, at least don a fig leaf.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
dressing modestly in public leaves more to the imaginastion and to me is far more interesting than seeing all the skin that should only be shared with a loved one

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
What is your understanding of modest dressing?
Do you choose not to wear pants or jeans (and I assume that goes for shorts too?) because you are uncomfortable in them and how they feel on your body?
There is nothing wrong with that.
Just as long as what you do wear is not skin tight, or see through, or so short that everything (your buttox and thighs) hangs out.
Yes... sexually-provocative attire, I think, is what is meant by immodest here. If you're dressing to avoid sending across the wrong messages, let people make fun. Move on. You do whatchoo gotta do girl :D

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
dressing modestly in public leaves more to the imaginastion and to me is far more interesting than seeing all the skin that should only be shared with a loved one
In today's culture in America...
But it's not that restrictive in other parts of the world. What is seductive dress in America is practically a burka in other places.

Really...get over it and look at her face sometimes eh? American dress is not the standard for the whole world. Nor should it be.

I recently met a lady who immigrated to America from Brazil.
She wanted to go to a swim party with the youth group from their church....so her grandfather picked and bought her a conservative swimsuit. But then when she got to the party the chaperones told her that it was extremely revealing....too revealing and to not wear it again at a church swim party. This happened like 25 years ago...the girl was trying...she just failed.
I seen an old picture of my young grandmother in a very conservative one piece bathing suit. She was so chagrined that I found it. The other ladies in the background wore swim dresses at the time. (They went to the knee)
That picture was scandalous stuff back in the day. Today people wear less to the grocery store or dinner in a restaurant.

I really wouldn't get hung up on what women wear or don't wear around people....so long as they aren't pushing societal norms I see no reason to bring out the big eyebrows to beat them with or get out the branding iron to emblazon them with a scarlet letter.
Nor should a woman be dressed in a burka. That will stand out too.

And Paul is clearly stating to not stand out with the way that women can dress. Just to look appropriate and average. What's so hard about that?

Paul also wrote that "there is therefore NO,( neight, nigne, none, null, division by zero) condemnation for those in Christ Jesus"....it's a massive understatement by Paul with no exceptions whatsoever.

Women aren't the source of all lust in the world. That's usually the sole purview of men. Where not ALL women in church are so innocent in their manner of dress....let's give them the benefit of the doubt and not paint them all with a broad brush.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
lol. living in a muslim country the girls wear same as girls in western world

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I kinda go for the idea that dressing immodestly encompasses both the fancy expensive stuff and the skimpy stuff.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I kinda go for the idea that dressing immodestly encompasses both the fancy expensive stuff and the skimpy stuff.
Well yeah...of course it is....but also the burka stuff too.

If everyone is in shorts and t-shirts and you show up in a floor length long sleeved dress and a hair cloth....you are also failing.

It's about not standing out...not hard to understand. Let the message of God be the focus/what stands out and not yourself.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If everyone is in shorts and t-shirts and you show up in a floor length long sleeved dress and a hair cloth....you are also failing.
:rolleyes:... Wrong again. :(

2 Corinthians 6:17

“Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,”

Let the message of God be the focus/what stands out and not yourself.
Agree... let's not let our parts stand out. :sneaky:(y)