Drought will get worse

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Is this how you got to a post count of 13,689? As a former law enforcement officer, I felt compelled to jump into a debate about a police involved shooting where the person posting claimed the officer committed murder, despite knowing that the shooting had been investigated and the officer cleared of wrong doing. The thread devolved, as two people continued calling police murderers, psychopaths, sociopaths and other disrespectful names. One of the people has over 30,000 posts in less than two years. I think that's about 40-50 messages every 24 hours. Obsessive compulsive behavior come to mind. So I've provided some context to your snarky comment. Care to join a discussion on drought or is this how you pass the time?

As a Vet, let me suggest that if you are so easily offended, then it is a good thing that you are a "former" Law Enforcement Officer. If you were hoping to comment on threads that were edifying, you should have done so, not complain that you had to comment on this one.

What in the world does the amount of rainfall/or lack thereof in California have to do with Police Officers being wrongly accused? That's quite a comparison.

If you felt compelled to disavow the OP, then don't start off by telling everyone how you are so sad that you really wanted to comment on a thread more edifying........just say what you have to say.

No need for you to be jealous of my post count, if you manage to stick around long enough, you too will see your post count grow, and then some newbie will be offended by some simple comment you make and rag you about your post count. This is a normal occurrence here. :)

Let me know when you guys solve the problems of the world............then, I'll pay attention.

A simple reading of your comments on this thread reveal that you are quite narrow minded as to participating in an "actual discussion." Rather, it's what you say/believe is true, and anyone who disagrees with you are just being "snarky."

Funny, and rather common place here on CC.
 
Is this how you got to a post count of 13,689? As a former law enforcement officer, I felt compelled to jump into a debate about a police involved shooting where the person posting claimed the officer committed murder, despite knowing that the shooting had been investigated and the officer cleared of wrong doing. The thread devolved, as two people continued calling police murderers, psychopaths, sociopaths and other disrespectful names. One of the people has over 30,000 posts in less than two years. I think that's about 40-50 messages every 24 hours. Obsessive compulsive behavior come to mind. So I've provided some context to your snarky comment. Care to join a discussion on drought or is this how you pass the time?

What does the amount of posts that a member writes have to do with a drought? Also, how does law enforcement or lack thereof affect annual rainfall? I find your post to be 'snarky'.
 
What does the amount of posts that a member writes have to do with a drought? Also, how does law enforcement or lack thereof affect annual rainfall? I find your post to be 'snarky'.

Yeah, but you got over 8,000 posts, so we don't pay attention to what you say. Gotta get over 10K to be considered worthy of thought. :)
 
This might be a good time for me to say I made a mistake. I just looked back at the beginning of this thread and saw the comment I made that rehbein referred to. Now it makes more sense to me. I thought I made that comment on the police officer murders someone thread and that rehbein was dragging it onto this thread to go after me. Wow, did I misread his intentions. Sorry. I wish I could better explain the comment on thread counts. It's my personal belief that the invention of computers and the internet has been an overall disaster for most people. Young people especially. The lectures by Josh McDowell include statistics of how many hours a day young people spend on the internet and texting. It consumes their lives. I mentioned a woman here with over 30,000 posts in less than two years. That almost requires someone to be a shut-in, who does little else but write comments on this site. What does it usually accomplish? Look at this thread on drought. Tell me you didn't read the op and as soon as you read the words "real cause of the drought", you knew it was going to devolve into nonsense. Someone selling products online by spreading fear and lying about the causes and extent of the California drought. It would have been nice if four or five people would have quickly pointed out the misinformation. The same with the other thread I mentioned I commented on. But it didn't happen. Being new here, I was expecting something different.
 
  • Like
Reactions: p_rehbein
This might be a good time for me to say I made a mistake. I just looked back at the beginning of this thread and saw the comment I made that rehbein referred to. Now it makes more sense to me. I thought I made that comment on the police officer murders someone thread and that rehbein was dragging it onto this thread to go after me. Wow, did I misread his intentions. Sorry. I wish I could better explain the comment on thread counts. It's my personal belief that the invention of computers and the internet has been an overall disaster for most people. Young people especially. The lectures by Josh McDowell include statistics of how many hours a day young people spend on the internet and texting. It consumes their lives. I mentioned a woman here with over 30,000 posts in less than two years. That almost requires someone to be a shut-in, who does little else but write comments on this site. What does it usually accomplish? Look at this thread on drought. Tell me you didn't read the op and as soon as you read the words "real cause of the drought", you knew it was going to devolve into nonsense. Someone selling products online by spreading fear and lying about the causes and extent of the California drought. It would have been nice if four or five people would have quickly pointed out the misinformation. The same with the other thread I mentioned I commented on. But it didn't happen. Being new here, I was expecting something different.

Cool, and you just earned a bunch of points in my opinion........So, let's start over, K?

Welcome to CC, and may God bless and keep you and yours.
 
The topic is drought. I'll repeat, the topic is drought, not gardening. I'm happy your garden is so productive. Why don't you start a new thread about gardening.

Regarding the op's video by someone trying to sell over priced gardening books and materials, it begins by asserting a particular lake was nearly dry from the drought. I quickly and easily linked to a site with the State of California that shows water levels at all reservoirs. The one they tried to show was dry, is actually over 50% full, and that was before the recent heavy rains. They also stated there is a high pressure system stuck off the coast of Washington and it has been there for two years. That is also untrue. Produce is still on the shelves at grocery stores and at farmers markets or in your case, it is being grown successfully in home gardens. Please explain to be in your infinite wisdom, which of those claims is ignorant or untrue.

Believers tend to project too much. We all know that the future will bring many tribulations. We don't know when, but we know it's coming. There is a tendency to see every tornado or flood or drought or case of bird flu, or war as signs that the end is now upon us. The men who made the video were taking advantage of people's fears and trying to make money off of what you clearly and correctly described as an activity that is easy to do and can provide several families with ample fruits and vegetables. I think it was highly irresponsible to post the thread up to begin with. If someone comes across a web site saying Ronald Reagan is the antichrist, as many did years ago, they should look closely at the claims and the supposed proof before blindly accepting and posting something so easily disproven. Can we at least agree on that?


Well, if you wanted to talk drought, then why did YOU bring up gardening, how a garden is either useless or will kill you? Or that the books cost so much? I haven't bought a gardening book since the 1970s. I needed to know about what flowers to plant that deers won't eat this spring, and it was free and easy to google that. And the website that said deers will pretty much eat anything was right.

Of course, that is my personal interest. But all your posts are reactive and based on bad facts. And did I mention a bit on the arrogant/pompous side?

I could break it down for you, but I don't think there is much point in discussing things when the poster keeps throwing so many straw men into the discussion, that the entire topic becomes useless.

Or do you grow hay, and were hoping for a buyer for the leftover straw men in this thread? Just curious!
 
I would like to apologize to all posters. After reading Sinnerman's reply to my OP, I checked a Google 2015 earth map and it showed what looked to be a nearly full Lake Mendocino and I can't find a reference to a journalist named Frank Tanner, so he may well not exist. I guess I thought the food production method looked really neat and in my excitement posted without checking. Once again my apologies.
 
Some info I found:

Update on the California Drought – October 13, 2015[h=3]From the Pacific Institute California Drought Response Group[/h][h=3]This week in… Governor Brown’s Office[/h]On Friday, October 9[SUP]th[/SUP], Governor Brown signed 24 bills related to water management and use. Among these, the following are particularly notable:
–SB 555 requires California’s urban water departments and private water companies to audit their systems and report their annual water loss to the state starting in Oct. 1, 2017.
–AB 1164 bars cities and counties from enforcing laws that prohibit residents from replacing lawns with artificial turf or other drought-tolerant landscaping.
–AB 401 directs the State Board to report to the Legislature on its findings regarding the feasibility, financial stability, and desired structure of a Low-Income Water Rate Assistance Program. The report will include any recommendations for legislative action that may need to be taken.
–SB 664 requiring water agencies to assess water infrastructure systems and report on their vulnerability to earthquakes. The bill was authored by state Sen. Bob Hertzberg, D-Van Nuys
–AB 617 and AB 939 add some clarifications to last year’s Sustainable Groundwater Management Act. AB 1390 and SB 226 add special procedures and clarifications to the groundwater adjudication process.
–AB 606 will require state properties to modernize irrigation systems and to implement drought tolerant landscaping, with an emphasis on native plants. This bill was proposed earlier this year by the pupils in Ms. Laura Honda’s fourth grade class at Manor Elementary School in Fairfax, CA.
[h=4]In other news…[/h]–In the past two weeks, precipitation in California has been higher than average in the southeast and below average in the northwest.
-The rock barrier DWR constructed in the Delta in mid-June to protect water quality from saltwater intrusion is now being removed. The work will be completed by mid-November.
–Statewide water use in August was down 27% this year from 2013. Check out the August savings in our interactive data table and map.
[h=3]California Drought Status[/h][h=4]Drought Monitor[/h]Drought conditions remain unchanged from two weeks ago.
[h=4]Reservoir Conditions[/h]Statewide, California’s major reservoirs (representing 27.3 million acre-feet of storage) are at 27% of capacity and 48% of group average.
 
1985? That was then this is now.
I've lived in California nearly 60 years and this is definitely the worse. Where I am living in So. Ca. I have seen about two days of almost an inch. El Nino? Not yet.
I believe we are under a judgment and now to compound things we go and legalize Euthanasia.
I'm looking at the weather forecast for the next 15 days...nada.
These clowns in Sac. need to quit regulating, and quota-ing us to death and rather apply themselves to God...fat chance, 85% Democrat operated.
typical all year here at this zipcode

Whittier Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for CA 90601

read at bottom of page...

Monthly Summary for November 2015



[TABLE="class: stats"]
[TR="class: pre"]
[TH]Precip...Actual[/TH]
[TD]0.22 in...NORMAL,,,
[/TD]
[TD]1.14 in
[/TD]
[TD] Departure... -0.92 in
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
Last edited:
Since I have (deservedly) lost all credibility on this thread, I'll sit back and enjoy the comments and charts and numbers being posted by others. Sorry folks. I got a call from a friend living in Sacramento and he says the forecast this winter is for above average precipitation. I hope that is true and you all get plenty of water stored up for future use.
 
Above average rainfall in one part of the State does not mean that the entire State, or even the majority of the State will receive above average rainfall.

As for eyewitness accounts, I have family that have lived in California for a very long time, and they continue to be under drought conditions even though they have had some rain in recent weeks. Just saying :)
 
Another interesting fact i read about aquifers, in Canada anyway, is that they are not easily replaced. So even if the rainfalls are very high, it can take up to 50 or more years to replace the water lost in a drought, or through use of ground water. Sorry, I cannot find the article.

However this is an interesting article on maintaining aquifers and how important they are.

http://www.ngwa.org/documents/positionpapers/sustainwhitepaper.pdf
 
I have an aquifer in my bedroom, it helps my sinuses when I sleep.........always add a little liquid Vicks to it