Easy to Preach, Hard to Practice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Raises hand, yup, much easier to preach than to practice. Lord, fill me up with you so that there is less of me and my ego. Thank you for this encouragement brother. God Bless...:)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Paul had the same easy to preach hard to practice problem. He mentioned that he would do the things that he should not do and neglect the things that he should. At least you're in good company. I'm part of that company as well. I've been working on the part about not getting angry and trying to be kind to those God sends my way. I'm not quite there yet as there is still a ways to go.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Rsponding to assaults?? Where exactly do you preach? Should we be praying for your safety?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Rsponding to assaults?? Where exactly do you preach? Should we be praying for your safety?
Assault is not battery. Assaults are verbal, and some verbal assaults are actually illegal.

The truth of the matter is that preaching gospel truths is becoming to be considered assault.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Another question:

I know we are to forgive those that trespass against us, and I have forgiven as many as I can (meaning those I know of). BUT.....what if there is a situation that is "ongoing?" What if it hasn't ended yet? Do you wait until whatever the situation is is resolved/comes to an end, and then forgive? Can you forgive an ongoing trespass?

Hope that makes sense..........

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If to me......... :) Not preaching literally (as from a Pulpit, or such) just saying

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Another question:

I know we are to forgive those that trespass against us, and I have forgiven as many as I can (meaning those I know of). BUT.....what if there is a situation that is "ongoing?" What if it hasn't ended yet? Do you wait until whatever the situation is is resolved/comes to an end, and then forgive? Can you forgive an ongoing trespass?

Perhaps you can simply forgive their behavior and pray for God to soften their hearts and change their attitude. Pray also for the strength to not retaliate in kind. If possible, it may also be wise to just try to avoid toxic people as they will eventually suck the life out of you. You may want to check in with them occasionally to see if the situation has improved. Keep in mind also that this too shall pass, sooner or later. Preferably sooner.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Another question:

It does make sense, and is a tough question to answer.
How do we handle that situation can be sticky.
Trespass in marriage may need an advocate.
On a job, perhaps a new line of employment is needed before the trespass can be dealt with.

It is so hard to answer, because I am not in that arena yet.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Another question:

I would say forgive.
But it doesn't mean you have to put yourself in the firing line.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
Jesus said 70 times 7! Just as the situation of verbal assault is ongoing so MUST the forgiveness be also ongoing! We must remember the only ONE we can control is ourself,as a fruit of the SPIRIT! I agree with the others this is a hard thing and is also a form of persecution! Pray therefore for your enemies and those that dispitefully use you.We are COMMANDED to bear one another's burdens,so I am and will continue to lift you up in prayer! God can resolve ANY issue we face!! Rejoice for they hated Him also! Amen🙏

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for the comments.......... It's a real difficult situation, and I am praying almost constantly about it...... But, sometimes, the Old Soldier in me gets the best of me, and........well...... sigh. That gives me something else to pray about.......

Dec 12, 2013
It seems to be the case hey.....also....like anything we are to do found in scripture.....we have areas where we are faithful and will never compromise and then we have areas where we are weak as and fail regularly.......same is true with this set if verses.....

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Our responses come from our emotional hearts. These are linked to our value systems, our sense
of respect and honour. Our histories of behaviour and our learnt interactions kick in.

So we have the words of what we would intend, yet we are bitter, angry, want revenge, feel put down,
and want something we feel we are just not getting.

When you go to the foot of the cross and begin to get ones self worth from Jesus and the Lord, things
change. When you see ones own sinful responses, over sensitivity and not simply seeing others as
constrained individuals in need of support and encouragement, our own needs tend to rise up, and the
list of bad points we have got, and are definately going to put right comes to the front.

Each individual has their own path and lessons to learn. But it begins with admitting we are out of
control and need the Lords help at every level, not just a little, but in everything.

God bless you.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
well, here is something- when you see the things going on in the sinful, fallen world, as in drag queen storytime, being told people can choose your own gender, the U.S should have open borders and PAY for everything for the people coming in, abortion , the gay agenda , the media telling outright lies every day, it is hard to respond with love and understanding.

but, that is our calling. but it ain't easy....

notuptome

May 17, 2013
We can do no good of our own volition. It is the Holy Spirit who ministers through us if we do anything of consequence. We must never rely upon our own conscience but trust in Christ alone.

We are to allow Christ to minister through us not force our will upon the ministry of Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.

You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.

It takes one person to forgive, it takes two people to be reunited.

Lewis B Smedes.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Can you explain your situation.

Im not really getting what it is. I think when people provoke us just think of Jesus example. He didnt fight back. Often he just went away from them. Let them be cruel or whatver. Its their problem not yours. Dont take things personal.

If its workplace bullying, you can leave. If its a marriage, you may have to work on it. If its just the devil buffeting you, you need to actively resist, then ignore all attempts at baiting. Ask for Gods grace in all situations.