Editing new comments when including a previous post.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Hello,

I have been finding it increasingly frustrating to edit my new text when I am including a previous post.

Steps:
Click "Reply with Quote" on any given post.
In the new edit window, at the end of the quote, start typing.
Press the backspace key.
The following characters appear above the line one has already typed.

This is exceedingly frustrating. I often have typed quite a bit before I notice that my typing is no longer following what I had first typed.

The way I have dealt with this is to delete or cut the most recent typing, staying on the line above the original text, I delete the carriage return so the cursor is now on the same line as the original text. Then I hit carriage return again and move the cursor to the end of that first line and continue typing.

I respectfully invite the programmers to correct this bug, please.

Thank you very much.

7seasrekeyed

yeah that bug does exist

which is why maybe since you know about it, check your words more.

but it would be good to fix it as you say

something with the formatting maybe

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
When you do reply with quote, start your text right next to the person's quote box. Then press Enter,so that the person's post is below yours. Like this:

Hello,

I have been finding it increasingly frustrating to edit my new text when I am including a previous post.

Steps:
Press the backspace key.

This is exceedingly frustrating. I often have typed quite a bit before I notice that my typing is no longer following what I had first typed.

The way I have dealt with this is to delete or cut the most recent typing, staying on the line above the original text, I delete the carriage return so the cursor is now on the same line as the original text. Then I hit carriage return again and move the cursor to the end of that first line and continue typing.

Thank you very much.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
When you do reply with quote, start your text right next to the person's quote box. Then press Enter,so that the person's post is below yours. Like this:
you for the work around but I prefer to put my text after the quote. It seems more "logical" to me.
Thank u

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Because Robo is extremely busy, and he DID offer a fix, which is above the reply box. Just press the Enter button first, then make your post..

It's a bug. Why not fix it?

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Because Robo is extremely busy, and he DID offer a fix, which is above the reply box. Just press the Enter button first, then make your post..
and this is probably low on his priority scale. I just was hoping that there were others that handled things like this. at
I accept th Robo is very busy with this website

To Robo, I have moderate programming experience in a variety of languages, both procedural and object-oriented. I am willing to see if I could help out in little ways like this, if you are interested.

FWIW.

Thank you.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
It's a bug. Why not fix it?
The software we use for the forums (vBulletin) is a commercially sourced program which albeit allows for a certain amount of user customization, as far as I am aware does not allow access to the primary source coding.

vBulletin does come out with updates from time to time to fix these sorts of bugs but were more or less at their mercy.

Have you tried a different browser? Sometimes bugs like that are particular to a specific browser.

I know that I've had the same issue occasionally with Firefox but it seems to be sporadic.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Thank you for your response. I was kind of wondering if CC had access to the code.

Yes, I am using Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.

I guess I will probably respond as BLB does.

Thank you again.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I tried posting my response before the quote. I just don't like doing it that way.

Instead I am going to train myself to hit delete before I start making my post. I think that may be all I need to do.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Don't hit delete..hit Enter..then the person's post will be below yours..

I tried posting my response before the quote. I just don't like doing it that way.

Instead I am going to train myself to hit delete before I start making my post. I think that may be all I need to do.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Don't hit delete..hit Enter..then the person's post will be below yours..

I was wrong. All I have to do is to hit return the first thing when I get to the edit window and then I don't have the problem anymore.

This lets me put the quote above my comment where it belongs and doesn't require me to go through the trouble of getting the cursor in front of the quote to start posting.

Nevertheless, BLB, thanks for the advice.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hello,

Steps:
Press the backspace key.

Thank you very much.
On Reply With Quote, skip a least one line before typing your post. I never have had a problem doing this.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
yeah me too

seems to me that the cursor jumps to last bit of formatting when you backspace. but not always. i haven't sorted out when it doesn't happen vs. when it does, but for example if i italicize something and the cursor jumps it jumps back to the close of the italicizing ((which i typically do using a keyboard command alt-i instead of using the buttons in the reply GUI)). jumping to formatting happens to me more often than into a quote, though that does happen too; i reckon i do more text formatting than Ernest does.

you might try using the GUI instead of keyboard commands -- but as OnceFallen said, it's likely a Vbulletin bug, not a forum one.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I usually skip a line like tourist does, but you have to check the screen often. The first time you use backspace in chrome it operates like the home key and puts you at the front of the line. Subsequent backspaces seem to work okay.