Empaths and Christianity

• Thread starter TemporaryCircumstances
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

oh, and its not something that can just be turned off like a tap. Its here to stay.

well if you love it that much it will stay

but it is not God

I repeat

NOT God. it is fooling you

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
All I can say is, I have had conversations with someone else (Elsa) telepathically. She has also shared information she wouldn't have otherwise known, I am estranged from my family, however my brother rang me last year after a long absence. I told no one, however she knew he called, as she said I am pleased your brother called you last night. How the heck did she know that?? This is just one example.So these gifts are real, and as I am a follower of Jesus Christ I can only assume its a gift. For what purpose I don't know yet. BTW Elsa obviously has the same gifts but is a narcissist.
Hi Gregory,
You have employed a few logical fallacies in your story, and apparently, in your life. The biggest one is the fallacy of the excluded middle, where you erroneously assume that something can only be this or that, but nothing else. I'd encourage you do read up on fallacies.

Specifically, what you describe is exactly what demonic entities do: they listen in on your life, and pay attention to your reactions, then pretend to know things that other humans couldn't. It is certainly possible that "Elsa" is a demon and is seeking to deceive you into believing it. I strongly suggest you apply 1 John 4:1-3, and ask "Elsa" if it agrees that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
How the heck did she know that??
You must understand that spirits are invisible beings to us. They can be anywhere and witness anything. Even private conversations between two people. There is nothing "magical" or mysterious about information from a familiar spirit. They are deceivers and predatory beings that will often attempt to attach themselves to people with troubled childhoods. Early betrayal and pain make people more susceptible. You can be free of this oppressive influence.

Do you have a church? A pastor? A Christian prayer team who can help you tackle this?

Jul 20, 2019
Hi Gregory,
You have employed a few logical fallacies in your story, and apparently, in your life. The biggest one is the fallacy of the excluded middle, where you erroneously assume that something can only be this or that, but nothing else. I'd encourage you do read up on fallacies.

Specifically, what you describe is exactly what demonic entities do: they listen in on your life, and pay attention to your reactions, then pretend to know things that other humans couldn't. It is certainly possible that "Elsa" is a demon and is seeking to deceive you into believing it. I strongly suggest you apply 1 John 4:1-3, and ask "Elsa" if it agrees that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.
I must point out Elsa is a real person, not just telepathic connection.

Mar 18, 2020
East Texas
I'm an 'empath' but I don't trust titles or movements that are associated with them. To me the name is just an easy way for me to make reference to the characteristics, without going through them all.

I can tell you whole heartedly that I don't follow any new age/occult/psychic beliefs/views of any kind. I personally believe the new agers are guilty of stealing these characteristics and claiming them to be some kind of psychic ability (which they are not) and then giving them a fancy title as well as their own personal false "spiritual" explanation as to how these characteristics came to be. I don't trust any person's explanations.

The characteristics, however, are very real. This is not a psychic gift and should have no association with the new age movement at all. It's sad the two are associated.

The ability to read a room full of people in great depth, to where you know their thoughts/emotions, does not make you a psychic, it's just that you are very in tune with a person's emotions. The downside is that you see all the negative thoughts also, and I wish I could turn it off sometimes because it affects me when I take on the emotions of others as if they are my own.

All I can say is that I am who I am because of Him, so any gifts/abilities He gives me should be looked on as a blessing.

Copy/paste from a christian site....

Empathy, or the ability to listen to, understand, and relate to the emotions of others, is a valuable gift, and there is nothing unbiblical about the idea of carrying another person’s burdens, emotional or otherwise (Galatians 6:2). In fact, God’s Spirit is described as a comforter of the suffering (2 Cor 1:3-6). But claiming the powers of an empath goes beyond proper compassion and godly sensitivity and enters the realm of the psychic.
I understand what you are saying. I consider myself sensitive to others emotions. I have only really learned this in recent years. I am NOT a psychic. I never wanted to be more powerful or make things up. But I do believe God gives some a gift of prophecy. I will share more about this when anyone wants to hear it. I am most defiantely Christian. I do not channel spirit guides. I do not open up portals to let in anything. I do not believe in seances or ouija boards or any of the sort. Seek God is the rule of thumb. I was saved in Jesus at age 16.

Mar 18, 2020
East Texas
Well after reading all the post here I think we have to establish something.

Is it a quality.....a gift....or a curse. Is it controllable.......constant.....chaotic... was it prayed for ....hope for....or a life awareness.
Yes, I suppressed many thoughts and dreams which seemed to be messages. SOME dreams. Not all. I am not mentally ill with any delusions or schizophrenic. I really thought up until recently that everyone felt the emotions of others. I thought it to be normal in all people. I an not into the occult. I avoid it at all costs.

Mar 18, 2020
East Texas
Yes, I suppressed many thoughts and dreams which seemed to be messages. SOME dreams. Not all. I am not mentally ill with any delusions or schizophrenic. I really thought up until recently that everyone felt the emotions of others. I thought it to be normal in all people. I an not into the occult. I avoid it at all costs.
I understand what you are saying. I consider myself sensitive to others emotions. I have only really learned this in recent years. I am NOT a psychic. I never wanted to be more powerful or make things up. But I do believe God gives some a gift of prophecy. I will share more about this when anyone wants to hear it. I am most defiantely Christian. I do not channel spirit guides. I do not open up portals to let in anything. I do not believe in seances or ouija boards or any of the sort. Seek God is the rule of thumb. I was saved in Jesus at age 16.

Mar 18, 2020
East Texas
this sounds like a big grey area.
sensitive to other people, animals and their feelings. not a big deal
sensitive to the spiritual world and channeling beings outside this world. probably not a good idea

Jesus and John the baptist both fasted in the desert. many of the early church fathers did this as well, they were known as desert fathers. they would go out in the wilderness, pray, fast and meditate to get a more deep spiritual experience. and they would stay out there for as long as it takes. few do it today as it takes a great deal of self sacrifice.

Mar 18, 2020
East Texas
I never attempt to channel any beings. I believe you can get yourself into the influence of not so good spirits in the guise of them being "good".

Mar 5, 2020
The Bible may not reveal everything, but it's Author knows all things. We as born again Christians have that same Author living inside us. If we go beyond what He has revealed in His Word then we are acting on our own accord and living in dangerous territory.
That sounds like you worship the bible.
Do you know that God didn't actually write the bible?
You say you have the bible author living inside you. What good is that if you first believe he doesn't say anything new save for what appears in the bible? God must confine himself to what the bible says he says?

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
This is a really old thread, which I wish would've remained buried. I'm only replying because I feel the need to defend myself, and share something that I see others have missed.

There are some people who are highly sensitive, who process things deeper than others. They say it's the result of genetics (neurotransmitters in the brain) or you can become this way as a result of trauma, in which your brain changes. They also say these people make up about 20% of the population, but who knows? So I think this is the reason it's very misunderstood by others. It doesn't help that the new age crowd would latch onto this and claim it's a psychic gift and other nonsense they use to support their cause. It's why I don't like that label "empath".

Hopefully this thread doesn't ruin the witness of believers who are wrongfully associated with the occult.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I must point out Elsa is a real person, not just telepathic connection.
Have you met her in person or spoken on the phone? Even if you have, I'd still be inclined to suspect there is demonic activity at work.

Jul 20, 2019
Have you met her in person or spoken on the phone? Even if you have, I'd still be inclined to suspect there is demonic activity at work.
I know her extremely well, btw she even looks like me! and I met her many years ago briefly, funny how we met again several years later. I can hear her thoughts, know when she is nearby, know when her varicose veins are playing up etc.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I know her extremely well, btw she even looks like me! and I met her many years ago briefly, funny how we met again several years later. I can hear her thoughts, know when she is nearby, know when her varicose veins are playing up etc.
Fascinating on one level, and somewhat disturbing on another. I guess I can only encourage you to put the matter before the Lord and invite His input on it.

Sorry if I was way off base; I was going on the information in that one post.

Jul 20, 2019
Fascinating on one level, and somewhat disturbing on another. I guess I can only encourage you to put the matter before the Lord and invite His input on it.

Sorry if I was way off base; I was going on the information in that one post.
already did so, I was reminded that I am a vessel of the Holy Spirit, sanctified and set aside. So therefore there is nothing to be concerned about

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
That sounds like you worship the bible.
Do you know that God didn't actually write the bible?
You say you have the bible author living inside you. What good is that if you first believe he doesn't say anything new save for what appears in the bible? God must confine himself to what the bible says he says?
Sounds like I worship the Bible??? Because I said this...
"The Bible may not reveal everything, but it's Author knows all things. We as born again Christians have that same Author living inside us. If we go beyond what He has revealed in His Word then we are acting on our own accord and living in dangerous territory."
I hope you don't exegete the Scriptures that way!

"Do you know that God didn't actually write the Bible?"
So first you make an assumption that I might worship the Bible, then you proceed to lecture me based on that false assumption.

"You say you have the bible author living inside you. "
Yes, He is called the Holy Spirit. Do you have His Holy Spirit living in you?

"What good is that if you first believe he doesn't say anything new save for what appears in the bible?"
Did I say He says nothing new? Perhaps, meaning whatever He says, it won't contradict what He has already said in His Word. That's what this verse is speaking of...
Isaiah 8:20 (KJV) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

God must confine himself to what the bible says he says?
What I am saying is that God won't contradict what He has already said. God is not schizophrenic.

Mar 5, 2020
Sounds like I worship the Bible??? Because I said this...
"The Bible may not reveal everything, but it's Author knows all things. We as born again Christians have that same Author living inside us. If we go beyond what He has revealed in His Word then we are acting on our own accord and living in dangerous territory."
I hope you don't exegete the Scriptures that way!

"Do you know that God didn't actually write the Bible?"
So first you make an assumption that I might worship the Bible, then you proceed to lecture me based on that false assumption.

"You say you have the bible author living inside you. "
Yes, He is called the Holy Spirit. Do you have His Holy Spirit living in you?

"What good is that if you first believe he doesn't say anything new save for what appears in the bible?"
Did I say He says nothing new? Perhaps, meaning whatever He says, it won't contradict what He has already said in His Word. That's what this verse is speaking of...
Isaiah 8:20 (KJV) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

God must confine himself to what the bible says he says?
What I am saying is that God won't contradict what He has already said. God is not schizophrenic.
Do you know what the first faith any Christian assumes is?
Believing the people of the ancient past were telling the truth when they said God inspired them to write what you're reading today.

But, what many do not know is that what you're reading today isn't the first things that were written. In fact, for almost four hundred years after Jesus there was no bible.
What then?

Jul 20, 2019
Believing the people of the ancient past were telling the truth when they said God inspired them to write what you're reading today.

But, what many do not know is that what you're reading today isn't the first things that were written. In fact, for almost four hundred years after Jesus there was no bible.
What then?
I would assume from then on, its the worlds and satans journey, with the bible as our reference point. However, I can assure you my "gifts" are real and wont go into detail here. Many say its the gift of satan and the new age movement. That may be so, but now I have handed it over to God regardless. Let him decide what to do with this.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

What then?
Wrong, there was the Bible...called the Old Testament which Jesus and the Apostles often quoted from.
Would you like to return to the Dark Ages when God's Word was hardly read plunging minds and hearts into darkness, lies, superstitions and fears. Is that what you want?