Eternal life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

When do you get eternal life?

• Now

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • In the future

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Now and again in the future

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2020
This thread is about eternal life. Is it now, in the age to come, or both?

I have taken the time to search out the when eternal life is received and from all I can see it comes later. If you are aware of anything that says it is now, in the present, please feel free to show them.

Matthew 19
29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Matthew 25:31,46
31When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.
46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Mark 10
30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.

Luke 20
35But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection.

Jude 1
21keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait forthe mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

James 1
12Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

John 6
54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Romans 2
7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

1 Corinthians 15
52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.

1 Timothy 4
8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

1 John 2
24As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

H

HopeinHim4ever

What about this...
"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." 1 John 5:11

And verse 20: "And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life."

(I don't believe in OSAS btw. But I try to look honestly at the scriptures.)

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Eternal life and immortality are not synonymous, viz: they are not two ways
to say the same thing. The two are juxtaposed in 2Tim 1:10; where the
terms are connected with a conjunction. They aren't connected with a verb,
so that you can't say eternal life is immortality; no, eternal life and
immortality are two distinctly different conditions. The one relates to the
core of one's being, the other relates to the longevity of one's body.
_

SonLight_Wolf

Jan 14, 2023
_
Except the gospel isn't about giving the flesh immortal life.

That's why the immortal eternal life of the soul is what the gospel concerns.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The key, in my opinion, is in defining what eternal life is. I have found only one place in scripture that defines eternal life and that is John 17:3...it is knowing God and Jesus.
To know in this verse is the same knowing that Adam and Eve shared in intimacy...experientially.
The error, as I see it, comes when people equate eternal life to a state of existence rather than a state of relationship.
If you read it as relationship, future references are merely the perfection of what already exists. 1 Timothy 4:8, quoted earlier, is a good example of this.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
even though i find quite silly the invitation to bicker over the precise timing of a thing which by very definition transcends time..
And this is eternal life:
that they may know You, the only true God,
and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
(John 17:3)

the question is when do we know Him.
do we know Him now or do we not?

if we do not know Him, we do not have eternal life.
if we know Him, we do.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Runningman, based on what the Lord Jesus taught us in the following verse, it seems that we receive or come to possess eternal life from the moment that we come to true, saving faith in Him and believe.

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”

Also, how could we receive ETERNAL life at one point in time, and then receive it again sometime later :unsure: (if this is the case, it seems to me that a person could receive some sort of 'temporal or probationary' life first, and then 'eternal' life later, but I don't believe that you can receive something that is "eternal", twice)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Hello @Runningman, based on what the Lord Jesus taught us in the following verse, it seems that we receive or come to possess eternal life from the moment that we come to true, saving faith in Him and believe.

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”

Also, how could we receive ETERNAL life at one point in time, and then receive it again sometime later :unsure: (if this is the case, it seems to me that a person could receive some sort of 'temporal or probationary' life first, and then 'eternal' life later, but I don't believe that you can receive something that is "eternal", twice)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
Now someone will come up with the 2nd coming of eternal life.

Mar 4, 2020

John 5

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
Thank you for sharing. Are you waiting for Jesus to bring you to eternal life or do you already have it? If you already have it, what was everyone else talking about waiting on/being brought to eternal life for?

Mar 4, 2020
What about this...
"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." 1 John 5:11

And verse 20: "And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life."

(I don't believe in OSAS btw. But I try to look honestly at the scriptures.)
Yea, I’ve noticed that you do take an honest look at the scriptures. Honesty is a top priority to me. One thing I know is that, whatever it may be, it never hurts to take a fresh look at everything, no matter what it is.

I think sometimes this should be prescribed and I often prescribe the below passage to myself. Think of it as preventative maintenance. :)

Hebrews 5
11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

H

HopeinHim4ever

Yea, I’ve noticed that you do take an honest look at the scriptures. Honesty is a top priority to me. One thing I know is that, whatever it may be, it never hurts to take a fresh look at everything, no matter what it is.

I think sometimes this should be prescribed and I often prescribe the below passage to myself. Think of it as preventative maintenance. :)

Hebrews 5
11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
Good prescription:)

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
This life is part of what will be my eternal life. In this life I die, in the eternal I won't.

BonnieClaire

Jul 1, 2021
I have eternal life now because I believe in the Son, my Lord and Savior Christ Jesus . . .

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth
in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. ~KJV

Oct 6, 2022
_
I also believe the Bible refers to two different concepts that are both called eternal life.

(a sequence of sentences getting finished with bolded scripture)

after believers become

Galatians 3:26-27
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ
God sends the

Galatians 4:6
And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

and when they get
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ

believers also become, simultaneously,
which I think is another way of saying

1 John5:20
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true—in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life
And, critically, since Jesus Christ is

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true—in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life

then they would have eternal life in them. That is the first concept. I believe this is what 1 John 5:13 means by "have eternal life" earlier in the same chapter. I believe Jesus Christ was referring to this relationship in the Vine and Branches example

John 15:5-6
I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned.
Therefore I believe a vital element of this relationship is the disciple's

John 15
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful.
I believe that someone in Jesus Christ has the ability to

John 15:6
If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned
Jesus Christ, and that from that, He would no longer

John 5:4
Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me.
and therefore

would no longer either, because that is Jesus Christ.

I believe God will repay each man, including disciples with Jesus Christ in them, according to their
Romans 2:6
God “will repay each one according to his deeds.”
Again, according to each one's

Romans 2:6
God “will repay each one according to his deeds.”

And if they, by

Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

manage to have
Romans 2:7
To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.

Then they get the other "eternal life" during

1 Corinthians 15:51-53
Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must be clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.
or

John 5:28-29
Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out—those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

where they will have no more

1 Corinthians 15:51-53
Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must be clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.
hence the term "eternal life", and also

Revelation 22:4-5
They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night in the city, and they will have no need for the light of a lamp or of the sun. For the Lord God will shine on them, and they will reign forever and ever.

while those who were not

Ephesians 4:31-32
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, outcry and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and tenderhearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you.
for example, will not be forgiven even if God was their

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.
Believe the Bible before me, however.
and a nice little song to my brothers and sisters reading :)

Oct 6, 2022
_
With Jude seeming to refer to immortality as "eternal life" here

Jude 1:21
keep yourselves in the love of God as you await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you eternal life.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
It was a phrase to reiterate the soul has eternal life. It is immortality of the soul, not the mortal flesh.

I thought only God was immortal. Where do you read that the soul is immortal? Quote the verses and their address, please. It also depends upon whether you believe humans are tripartite or bipartite beings. Are we body, soul and mind, or just body and soul?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I also believe the Bible refers to two different concepts that are both called eternal life.

(a sequence of sentences getting finished with bolded scripture)

after believers become

God sends the

and when they get

believers also become, simultaneously,

which I think is another way of saying

And, critically, since Jesus Christ is

then they would have eternal life in them. That is the first concept. I believe this is what 1 John 5:13 means by "have eternal life" earlier in the same chapter. I believe Jesus Christ was referring to this relationship in the Vine and Branches example

Therefore I believe a vital element of this relationship is the disciple's

I believe that someone in Jesus Christ has the ability to

and therefore

would no longer either, because that is Jesus Christ.

I believe God will repay each man, including disciples with Jesus Christ in them, according to their

Again, according to each one's

And if they, by

manage to have

Then they get the other "eternal life" during

or

where they will have no more

hence the term "eternal life", and also

while those who were not

for example, will not be forgiven even if God was their

Believe the Bible before me, however.
and a nice little song to my brothers and sisters reading :)

One of the important things I learned in hermeneutics, or Bible interpretation, is not to pull verses out of context. Yet, you only post single verses. Context, whether the verses around it, the chapter, or the book, is so important. So is who it is addressed to, and why? I used to do a word searches in Strong's, as a new Christian. I had some amazing doctrines I invented. But once I realized how important the context of the text, as well as the time in history, who it is addressed to, the geography and many other things, it became very easy to pull posts like this apart. Nor am I sure why you chose the format you are using. Because, I am not able to answer each verse back, because they have all disappeared for my reply.

My suggestion is go back verse by verse. Learn the context of the book the verse is in. Where does it fit in a timeline? Who wrote it? To whom? And very important - what do the surrounding verses say? Do that for each verse. I have my doubts that most of this is valid. But, it's getting late, and like I said, the verses have disappeared with your strange formatting.

I look forward to seeing your revised version of this post!

Oct 6, 2022

John 5:4
Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me.
and therefore
I meant John 15:4, not John 5:4

I apologize for that.