Faith/Works...How much faith? How much works?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hey, we have so many of these threads going, why not another?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I know, the Forum is glutted with these Faith/Works threads.

But I'm interested in those that say 'by faith'...how much faith?

And those that say 'by works'...how much works?

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
If you have a desire to do ANY good work, ask yourself internally, why am I doing this?

It could be:

Because I personally believe it is good. (Can possibly toe the line of having your own gauge of what is right. Self righteousness)

Because God said I have to love my wife. (If a good work is done with anger and forceful feelings, wrong in my opinion)

Because I want to be good to people because I now KNOW God has been so good to me and was protecting me, seems like the best reason for doing good works. (In my opinion)

Faith is so critical to the whole picture....ANYONE can have faith in God when everything is going great in life but, when it appears that life is going completely downhill and the wrong way is is when your faith gets tested and you have the ability to grow. When pressure gets applied, the blinders need to be applied because, you know that you know that God is in control and no outside adversary is gonna shake you.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
If you have a desire to do ANY good work, ask yourself internally, why am I doing this?

It could be:

Because I personally believe it is good. (Can possibly toe the line of having your own gauge of what is right. Self righteousness)

Because God said I have to love my wife. (If a good work is done with anger and forceful feelings, wrong in my opinion)

Because I want to be good to people because I now KNOW God has been so good to me and was protecting me, seems like the best reason for doing good works. (In my opinion)

Faith is so critical to the whole picture....ANYONE can have faith in God when everything is going great in life but, when it appears that life is going completely downhill and the wrong way is is when your faith gets tested and you have the ability to grow. When pressure gets applied, the blinders need to be applied because, you know that you know that God is in control and no outside adversary is gonna shake you.
So how much works and how much faith is needed?

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
So how much works and how much faith is needed?
Define the gauge for measurement when you ask how much?

Unconditional faith and trust will always override any work....Looking back on my life, I did things that made zero sense to me at the time but, leaning not on your own understanding is necessary.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Define the gauge for measurement when you ask how much?

Unconditional faith and trust will always override any work....Looking back on my life, I did things that made zero sense to me at the time but, leaning not on your own understanding is necessary.
I don't know, there is so much talk/threads on faith vs works, I thought maybe you knew.
Or maybe you can start here...

Luke 17:6 NASBS
[6] And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea'; and it would obey you.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Very little just what we are given. Understand when we pray, it is works for it is dependant upone belief, faith. We receive faith, it is a gift, and when we pray it is demonstratingour faith. Just as with Abraham, when we belive it is acounted to us as righeousness, however so many of the children do not realize this.

Works of God are not what most folks thing they are. Most think we must be like an apostle or more, but we work at all levels of faith, and all are fromt that gift of faith.

Any who eceive the salvation of Jesus, and d then ignore it are doing nothing, like th servant who buried his talent in the earth only to cause it to be sullied…….

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Very little just what we are given. Understand when we pray, it is works for it is dependant upone belief, faith. We receive faith, it is a gift, and when we pray it is demonstratingour faith. Just as with Abraham, when we belive it is acounted to us as righeousness, however so many of the children do not realize this.

Works of God are not what most folks thing they are. Most think we must be like an apostle or more, but we work at all levels of faith, and all are fromt that gift of faith.

Any who eceive the salvation of Jesus, and d then ignore it are doing nothing, like th servant who buried his talent in the earth only to cause it to be sullied…….
I'm sorry for not bring clear. I meant works of merit, not gratitude.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If our faith and actions fueled by it are considered works of righteousness, this, just as with Abraham, would be works. I cannot call anyof the works our Father has given us merit, for we do nothig, other than to avail ourselves toHim and to His glorification.

Simply waiting for the Lord is works, bein kind to our enemy, loving all peple all, works that our Father approves.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Hey, we have so many of these threads going, why not another?
Faith as big as a mustard seed to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ.
No amount of good works are needed to be saved, prove one's salvation, or maintain salvation. Should we go onto good works? Absolutely! But some may not. Over and over Paul pleads to believers to set aside the flesh and walk after the Spirit. If it all happened automatically, there would be no need for Paul to plead over and over.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
If our faith and actions fueled by it are considered works of righteousness, this, just as with Abraham, would be works. I cannot call anyof the works our Father has given us merit, for we do nothig, other than to avail ourselves toHim and to His glorification.

Simply waiting for the Lord is works, bein kind to our enemy, loving all peple all, works that our Father approves.
OK, have it your way?..how many 'works of righteousness' must we do until our <father is pleased?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
OK, have it your way?..how many 'works of righteousness' must we do until our <father is pleased?
The Father counts our faith as righteousness for we believe He Is, just as did Abraham. We, in this regard, are children of Abraham......

It is not my way it is the Way of the Father given to all whoo will recieve it.

Dec 12, 2013
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

The just shall live by faith

Without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please him

The one and only work that matters as far as salvation, justification, being sealed and positionally sanctified in Christ eternally is the work of the Heavenly Father--->BELIEVE on HIM whom he hath sent!!

BEYOND that......1 work or 50 million works are for reward (MISTHOS) pay or wages and if not done out of the right motive (love) brings ZERO profit!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

The just shall live by faith

Without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please him

The one and only work that matters as far as salvation, justification, being sealed and positionally sanctified in Christ eternally is the work of the Heavenly Father--->BELIEVE on HIM whom he hath sent!!

BEYOND that......1 work or 50 million works are for reward (MISTHOS) pay or wages and if not done out of the right motive (love) brings ZERO profit!
So 'how much' faith?

Dec 12, 2013
So 'how much' faith?
Well.....that really cannot be answered with any certainty because of three absolute truths....

A. Other than Jesus, men have been dealt faith in measure (some more than others)

B. Regardless of "A".....it must not take much to save a man because a little can move a mountain, rip a tree from the ground or allow a man to walk on water

C. AND EVEN if per chance one has ALL faith to do the above and yet lacks LOVE, the amount one has been dealt in measure matters little when it comes to works......

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I don't know, there is so much talk/threads on faith vs works, I thought maybe you knew.
Or maybe you can start here...

Luke 17:6 NASBS
[6] And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea'; and it would obey you.
The gauge to measure faith is measured by the Gospel. Pure and simple.

If you confess Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him to Life, you WILL be saved.
I have confessed and I believe it, and BECAUSE of that I am saved.

Now there is a WHOLE LOT MORE that accompanies Salvation, but none of those things have to do with becoming a born again Child of God.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Well.....that really cannot be answered with any certainty because of three absolute truths....

A. Other than Jesus, men have been dealt faith in measure (some more than others)

B. Regardless of "A".....it must not take much to save a man because a little can move a mountain, rip a tree from the ground or allow a man to walk on water

C. AND EVEN if per chance one has ALL faith to do the above and yet lacks LOVE, the amount one has been dealt in measure matters little when it comes to works......
Maybe saving faith isn't an amount but an affirmation of what Christ has done to atone for our sin, ..enough of an affirmation to be born again?