False teachers, is it our duty to rebuke them?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 21, 2020
No! you said refute heathens
Refute definition:"
to prove wrong by argument or evidence : show to be false or erroneous."
I would say that's being pretty judgemental wouldn't you?
No Hun, refuting false teachers isn't the same as casting judgement upon them.

Apr 21, 2020
I sit here amazed at the perpetual pulling of the "don't judge" card by professing believers against other believers.

This reaction shows a very very shallow understanding of our duty to contend for the faith, Jude 1:4, to correct, rebuke, and reprove error in person's teachings and lives, 2 Timothy 4, and to understand sound doctrine. Today to do such a thing causes persons to, in ignorance, and in a quasi political correctness attitude, pull out their "don't judge" card.

Rebuking those who correct error with a "don't judge" card is to stand against the biblical mandate to do so.

Yes, we should stand to correct error, call it what it is, name it, reprove it, and share the truth.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

May 23, 2020
I was following a false teacher too unknowingly. He was pointing fingers at others yet he was also in the same network of falsehood. Simon the magician😭.
I am ashamed but I believe it is part of my journey, my Christian walk.

Apr 21, 2020
I think the question I asked at the beginning of this thread has been answered:
Most Christians will NOT refute false teachers as they would the teachings of the Westboro Baptist Church.

This tells me that most Christians are more concerned with being popular in the world rather than preaching the truth of God.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
Holding somebody to account doesn't necessarily have to mean punishing them in some way.

My focus would be on the people following the false teacher, not the false teacher themselves.

If I was following a false teacher I would want to know about it, wouldn't you?

Who you following ?

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
I think the question I asked at the beginning of this thread has been answered:
Most Christians will NOT refute false teachers as they would the teachings of the Westboro Baptist Church.

This tells me that most Christians are more concerned with being popular in the world rather than preaching the truth of God.
Ill refute any minister that preaches to me...

Dec 28, 2016
I was following a false teacher too unknowingly. He was pointing fingers at others yet he was also in the same network of falsehood. Simon the magician😭.
I am ashamed but I believe it is part of my journey, my Christian walk.
Wow, thank God he brought you to realization of this. Keep growing in grace and knowledge, 2 Peter 3:18.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
But what if they are teaching you correctly?
sorry for being not technical enough..

Ill challenge anyone who preache to me things I don't agree with.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough what I was trying to post.

Dec 28, 2016
No! you said refute heathens
Refute definition:"
to prove wrong by argument or evidence : show to be false or erroneous."
I would say that's being pretty judgemental wouldn't you?
Not according to the mandate of Scripture:

Note 2 Timothy 4:2 and the word "rebuke."

Here is its meaning:

ἐλέγχω
elegchō

Thayer Definition:
1) to convict, refute, confute
1a) generally with a suggestion of shame of the person convicted
1b) by conviction to bring to the light, to expose
2) to find fault with, correct
2a) by word
2a1) to reprehend severely, chide, admonish, reprove
2a2) to call to account, show one his fault, demand an explanation
2b) by deed
2b1) to chasten, to punish
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of uncertain affinity

-end-
Here is context of the passage:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
2 Timothy 4:1-4
The above is the biblical mandate, and gently and honestly, you need the above for your own remarks. This is not being judgmental whatsoever, it is to obey Scripture.

I say this in concern and kindness; you're incorrect, you're at fault, you are not enduring sound doctrine, or teaching, and are going astray my friend.

Note also 2 Timothy 3:16ff, wherein we are to correct those in error. Hopefully you can accept that correction. :)

Apr 5, 2020
The gift of "Discernment" specifically is a tool for judgement. Not to be used in the sense of condemning others, but in the sense of knowing what is being taught aligns with God. I've heard some call it a "gut feeling" or that something "doesn't add up" after having a discussion with someone or hearing a sermon that is not Scripturally sound. If you walk with God, and you are gifted with Discernment, you cannot help but to judge. Obviously, Discerning is not sinning. God would not give us such a gift if otherwise.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Holding somebody to account doesn't necessarily have to mean punishing them in some way.

My focus would be on the people following the false teacher, not the false teacher themselves.

If I was following a false teacher I would want to know about it, wouldn't you?
Yes, I would. I can recall some friends telling me that a guest preacher at our church was a charlatan. I heard them, but it wasn't until I heard the man himself say certain things that I accepted as true their assessment of him.

I think our difference is in our understanding of the term "hold to account". If I tell you that the leader you're following is a false teacher, and support it with Scripture and evidence, I have not held that leader to account.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Not going far enuff, tar and feathering should be the gold standard.
Or, like the king of England did to William Tyndale, burn them at the stake.

Of course, Tyndale wasn't actually a false teacher... which is why physical punishment is inappropriate for differences of opinion.

We as individuals may choose whose teaching to hear. Those who are elders are responsible for who teaches their congregations. Only God makes the final judgment. :)

Apr 21, 2020
Yes, I would. I can recall some friends telling me that a guest preacher at our church was a charlatan. I heard them, but it wasn't until I heard the man himself say certain things that I accepted as true their assessment of him.

I think our difference is in our understanding of the term "hold to account". If I tell you that the leader you're following is a false teacher, and support it with Scripture and evidence, I have not held that leader to account.
I think you are right:
My focus would be on helping those who are being taught incorrectly to find the right path, whereas (correct me if I'm wrong) your focus would be on the 'teacher' themselves.

How would you propose holding the preacher to account directly?

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Illumination is necessary for the Bible to change lives. The ministry of the Holy Spirit helping
the believer to understand and apply the truth of the Bible.
The Holy Spirit not being 'present' brings cause of untold 'interpretations', and the intellectual

ego overrides sound 'teachings. Many are called...few are chosen.
Spiritually attuned shall be ones own accountability, whatever that consists of."
~Just a thought from 'this side of the glass'~ :)

56bc6e0ba935a_Serenity-Copy(8)-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy_jpg...jpg

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I think you are right:
My focus would be on helping those who are being taught incorrectly to find the right path, whereas (correct me if I'm wrong) your focus would be on the 'teacher' themselves.
Correct. Now that we know how we're seeing the term, I think we can proceed profitably. :)

How would you propose holding the preacher to account directly?
In my own circle, personally and privately, having prayed and done my homework first. That obviously includes knowing the relevant Scripture, but it also means considering the context and intent of the teaching, and the intended audience. A seminary class where students are expected to know the material and interact with the teacher is vastly different than a junior-high class where (these days) very few students would be equipped to assess the scriptural validity of the teaching.

Given appropriate preparation on my part, I would make an appointment, present their material that I considered unacceptable, present my position, and support it with Scripture. Then I would give them an opportunity to respond, with time to prepare as appropriate.

Mar 23, 2016
I sit here amazed at the perpetual pulling of the "don't judge" card by professing believers against other believers.

This reaction shows a very very shallow understanding of our duty to contend for the faith, Jude 1:4, to correct, rebuke, and reprove error in person's teachings and lives, 2 Timothy 4, and to understand sound doctrine. Today to do such a thing causes persons to, in ignorance, and in a quasi political correctness attitude, pull out their "don't judge" card.

Rebuking those who correct error with a "don't judge" card is to stand against the biblical mandate to do so.

Yes, we should stand to correct error, call it what it is, name it, reprove it, and share the truth.
I just read through Jude and the section in 2 Timothy you brought up. I wondered how it is that we "contend for the faith", "correct", "rebuke", "reprove error in person's teachings and lives".

After pointing out that false teachers turn the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ (Jude 1:4), and describing the activities of these false teachers, Jude tells us:

Jude 1:

20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

It appears that we are to:

1) build ourselves up in faith, pray, keep ourselves in the love of God, look for mercy

2) have compassion on those who fall into the hands of false teachers

3) some we may have to pull from the fire

As far as the section in 2 Timothy 4, we really need to go back to 2 Tim 3 where we are told that all Scripture God breathed and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction ... that the man of God may be fully equipped unto all good works (2 Tim 3:16-17). Then ...

2 Timothy 4:

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

It appears to me that in both Jude and Timothy, we are to help those who have fallen into the hands of the false teachers ... reach out to them and bring them back to the truth of God's Word.

And 2 Tim 2:4 tells us to be instant in season, out of season ... which is pretty much all the time. Reminds me of that verse in Peter where we are told to be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear (1 Peter 3:15).

Apr 21, 2020
I just read through Jude and the section in 2 Timothy you brought up. I wondered how it is that we "contend for the faith", "correct", "rebuke", "reprove error in person's teachings and lives".

After pointing out that false teachers turn the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ (Jude 1:4), and describing the activities of these false teachers, Jude tells us:

Jude 1:

20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

It appears that we are to:

1) build ourselves up in faith, pray, keep ourselves in the love of God, look for mercy

2) have compassion on those who fall into the hands of false teachers

3) some we may have to pull from the fire

As far as the section in 2 Timothy 4, we really need to go back to 2 Tim 3 where we are told that all Scripture God breathed and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction ... that the man of God may be fully equipped unto all good works (2 Tim 3:16-17). Then ...

2 Timothy 4:

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

It appears to me that in both Jude and Timothy, we are to help those who have fallen into the hands of the false teachers ... reach out to them and bring them back to the truth of God's Word.

And 2 Tim 2:4 tells us to be instant in season, out of season ... which is pretty much all the time. Reminds me of that verse in Peter where we are told to be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear (1 Peter 3:15).
"It appears to me that in both Jude and Timothy, we are to help those who have fallen into the hands of the false teachers ... reach out to them and bring them back to the truth of God's Word".

Exactly, hence the approach I said I would take.

You seem to be arguing FOR challenging false teaching, not against it.