First Bible Intrigues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
As we all know the Bible can read as if very boring, believe me I know from experience as a kid😴
however there are some that whether growing up or just first reading the Bible that can catch your attention like whoa!😱
and even have you musing such events like hmm...🤔🤨
What were some of your first intrigues reading the Bible that to this day you still can strike up a conversation over?

L

Live4Him

For me, one would definitely be the reality of spiritual warfare...especially Jesus' encounters with those who were demonized.

Opened up a whole new understanding of how this world really operates or the very real clash between two opposing kingdoms.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
A series of events in Genesis really grabbed my attention before I was a believer... more specifically, those having to do with Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. One of those occasions was years after Jacob was tricked into wedding Leah before he could marry his true love, Rachel, subsequent to fulfilling his obligations to his father-in-law Laban, he decided to leave with what was his, and Laban came after them because Rachel had stolen his household gods, but lied to her father to prevent him from searching the area where she was seated because she had them in her possession... And hello, Joseph :) Nice to see you again :D

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
For me, one would definitely be the reality of spiritual warfare...especially Jesus' encounters with those who were demonized.

Opened up a whole new understanding of how this world really operates or the very real clash between two opposing kingdoms.
yes indeed very noteworthy😀👍

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
A series of events in Genesis really grabbed my attention before I was a believer... more specifically, those having to do with Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. One of those occasions was years after Jacob was tricked into wedding Leah before he could marry his true love, Rachel, subsequent to fulfilling his obligations to his father-in-law Laban, he decided to leave with what was his, and Laban came after them because Rachel had stolen his household gods, but lied to her father to prevent him from searching the area where she was seated because she had them in her possession... And hello, Joseph :) Nice to see you again :D
Yes a very interesting event, he wouldn't dare look under her because she was pregnant, and Hello Magenta nice to see again too my friend😀😀😀🤗🤗🤗

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes a very interesting event, he wouldn't dare look under her because she was pregnant, and Hello Magenta nice to see again too my friend😀😀😀🤗🤗🤗
No, not pregnant: she lied about being on her menses.

That part of Genesis, from Abraham and Sarah giving birth to their promised son Isaac (when Sarah was 90 and Abe closer to a hundred years old), through to the marriage of Isaac to Rebekah and the birth of their twins Esau and Jacob (representing two nations), with their conflicts leading to the separation of Jacob from his family to escape his brother's wrath, on to Jacob marrying Leah and Rachel, and the children he had with both wives and their maidservants... and the first born son he had with his beloved Rachel, Joseph... Joseph, who was sold into captivity due his brothers' jealousy because he was Jacob's favorite son; Joseph, who then ended up in Egypt, being elevated to a very high position in that country, only to be taken down and jailed due to the lies of his superior's wife, who claimed Joseph raped her when he rebuffed her advances. Joseph, who spent thirteen years in jail until released because he properly interpreted Pharaoh's dreams, which led to him once again being elevated to a high position of authority in Egypt, saving them from starvation when the famine came, and his family too, as they eventually traveled to Egypt to escape death by famine also. All these events then lead us hundreds of years later, after the Hebrews are enslaved in Egypt, to the raising up of Moses and the plagues God brought upon the false gods of Egypt, to show forth His supremacy, including Pharaoh himself, who was considered a god by his people. Plagues which forced Pharaoh to let God's people go, although he changed his mind about that LOL. Yes indeed! A very rich story line which can be mined for many nuggets :)

B

Blackpowderduelist

There is some wild stuff in judges and chronicles, kings too.
The levites concubine still trips me out.
Judith chopping of the head of Holofernes. Is another one
Jael, driving a tent peg through dudes head.
I can't think of the assassin store where he stabs the fat man and the knife goes all the way into the guy and he leaves the knife and runs off.

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
There is some wild stuff in judges and chronicles, kings too.
The levites concubine still trips me out.
Judith chopping of the head of Holofernes. Is another one
Jael, driving a tent peg through dudes head.
I can't think of the assassin store where he stabs the fat man and the knife goes all the way into the guy and he leaves the knife and runs off.
I remember that last part, it was as I recall one of the priests that stabbed him and the woman he was sleeping with through to where they both died, as I recall it was wrong before God because it was either adulterous or of a wrong culture🤔
but, it was said it was right what he did to them

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
No, not pregnant: she lied about being on her menses.

That part of Genesis, from Abraham and Sarah giving birth to their promised son Isaac (when Sarah was 90 and Abe closer to a hundred years old), through to the marriage of Isaac to Rebekah and the birth of their twins Esau and Jacob (representing two nations), with their conflicts leading to the separation of Jacob from his family to escape his brother's wrath, on to Jacob marrying Leah and Rachel, and the children he had with both wives and their maidservants... and the first born son he had with his beloved Rachel, Joseph... Joseph, who was sold into captivity due his brothers' jealousy because he was Jacob's favorite son; Joseph, who then ended up in Egypt, being elevated to a very high position in that country, only to be taken down and jailed due to the lies of his superior's wife, who claimed Joseph raped her when he rebuffed her advances. Joseph, who spent thirteen years in jail until released because he properly interpreted Pharaoh's dreams, which led to him once again being elevated to a high position of authority in Egypt, saving them from starvation when the famine came, and his family too, as they eventually traveled to Egypt to escape death by famine also. All these events then lead us hundreds of years later, after the Hebrews are enslaved in Egypt, to the raising up of Moses and the plagues God brought upon the false gods of Egypt, to show forth His supremacy, including Pharaoh himself, who was considered a god by his people. Plagues which forced Pharaoh to let God's people go, although he changed his mind about that LOL. Yes indeed! A very rich story line which can be mined for many nuggets :)
Ah I see quite a lot of interesting informative parts to think over😀👍

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Ah I see quite a lot of interesting informative parts to think over😀👍
I did leave some pertinent information out, such as the reason for the conflict between Jacob and Esau...

You know, Jacob conspired with his mother to trick his father
into giving his blessing to him instead of to his older brother,
who had already sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew.

And the crossing of the Red Sea, as well as the origins of Passover, which directly preceded that event.

Have you read Genesis recently?

This is how one site depicts the coat Jacob made for Joseph:

Joseph may be the only person in the Bible (aside
from Jesus) who has no sins mentioned about him.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
yes indeed very noteworthy😀👍
Glad to see you back. For some reason the simple verse "Jesus Wept" has stuck with me through the years because it very much reveals the humanity of Jesus to go along with His divinity.

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
I did leave some pertinent information out, such as the reason for the conflict between Jacob and Esau...

You know, Jacob conspired with his mother to trick his father
into giving his blessing to him instead of to his older brother,
who had already sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew.

And the crossing of the Red Sea, as well as the origins of Passover, which directly preceded that event.

Have you read Genesis recently?

This is how one site depicts the coat Jacob made for Joseph:

Joseph may be the only person in the Bible (aside
from Jesus) who has no sins mentioned about him.
Yes it was quite the ploy and Jacob feared what his brother might do to him so he prepared plenty for Esau's arrival one day,and that picture is quite fascinating to consider as Joseph's coat, the many colors leaves one to presume that the coat was like a jumble of colors similar to a rainbow but, this picture is probably more accurate as to the placement of the colors.

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
Glad to see you back. For some reason the simple verse "Jesus Wept" has stuck with me through the years because it very much reveals the humanity of Jesus to go along with His divinity.
glad to be back Tourist and yes many people find that as multiple things, the shortest verse in the entire bible and a moment that shows that Jesus though God made flesh wept, I have had clarification as to the reason for his weeping he wept for Lazarus as I have been informed, showing that not only did Jesus express sadness but, also that he indeed experienced friendship and held such friends in dear regard😀
A single verse but, with clarification and understanding it is like a screw or bolt, alone it can serve a purpose but, together with other verses and studying it can help to reveal so much more😀👍

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Cool question...I'll give it some thought :)

I've definitely had some boring periods as far as reading goes but I've been a sponge for scripture since I was young so there have definitely been some moments that stand out. For me learning scripture in different ways has been most useful. Even felt boards back in sunday school made some stories far more interesting than hearing it read probably would have. Certainly have to switch things up from time to time.

I'll try and think of what might be "key" moments for me later. Adieu.

Feb 21, 2016
The scriptures in the OT that are a precursor of the 144,000 that people often overlook when studying that subject.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
glad to be back Tourist and yes many people find that as multiple things, the shortest verse in the entire bible and a moment that shows that Jesus though God made flesh wept, I have had clarification as to the reason for his weeping he wept for Lazarus as I have been informed, showing that not only did Jesus express sadness but, also that he indeed experienced friendship and held such friends in dear regard😀
A single verse but, with clarification and understanding it is like a screw or bolt, alone it can serve a purpose but, together with other verses and studying it can help to reveal so much more😀👍
I believe that Jesus was sadden from His friends passing. Even though He was going to raise him from the dead a few minutes later at that point Lazarus was no longer with Him at that moment in time.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Our Savior wept due to the incapability of those around, including Martha, to believe He is the Resurrection and Lazarus would rise.

He could not have missed or mourned Lazarus knowing that he was simply sleeping awaiting Jesus-Yeshua.. Do we miss or mourn people we love smply because they have gone to sleep for the night?

Apr 22, 2021
You must keep in mind that the Lord Jesus is the living Word of God. The Bible is the written word. If you want God's perfect revelation, it is not the Bible, it is the Lord Jesus. However, by worshiping Christ you remain calm throughout the day, and you are relieved of stress. The Bible is the bridge that connects us to the Almighty. You pick up the Bible to read God's words. The Bible is a book full of knowledge, good intentions, and very thoughts: a book that will lead you on the right path and help you find the purpose of life and existence.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
As we all know the Bible can read as if very boring, believe me I know from experience as a kid😴
however there are some that whether growing up or just first reading the Bible that can catch your attention like whoa!😱
and even have you musing such events like hmm...🤔🤨
What were some of your first intrigues reading the Bible that to this day you still can strike up a conversation over?
The severity of God's judgement and wrath as revealed in Revelation and the OT. Those who reject the Blood of Jesus will someday see that side of God and will suffer forever in the hellfire they chose to make their eternal bed in rather than humbly repent and come to Jesus. They have been warned and warned and warned and warned.:(

Jeremiah
17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?
17:10 I the LORD search the heart, try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, [and] according to the fruit of his doings.

John
3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
Cool question...I'll give it some thought :)

I've definitely had some boring periods as far as reading goes but I've been a sponge for scripture since I was young so there have definitely been some moments that stand out. For me learning scripture in different ways has been most useful. Even felt boards back in sunday school made some stories far more interesting than hearing it read probably would have. Certainly have to switch things up from time to time.

I'll try and think of what might be "key" moments for me later. Adieu.
glad you think it's a cool question😎
yeah no hurry, good to think things through😀👍