Food stamps and being poor

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Isn't this is what used to be called WICK? :cool:
No, it's call WIC and the program is still active. Women, Infants, Children. Under the program the recipient gathers certain food items off the shelf and presents a voucher to purchase them. This is usually in addition to the SNAP program.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
And usually the ones who get WIC, also receive the SNAP food benefits..

No, it's call WIC and the program is still active. Women, Infants, Children. Under the program the recipient gathers certain food items off the shelf and presents a voucher to purchase them. This is usually in addition to the SNAP program.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Beat me oops

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
WIC recipients don't get much for food. It's usually just eggs, cheese, milk and orange juice. And they even deliver it all to people.

S

SpoonJuly

Well it's not something that's really your business though I understand why you'd be upset,unfortunately anyone with whatever benefits can waste them on parties and etc.

I'm a little old fashion. We used to call them food stamps. It is now a bright green debit card in Arkansas. Hard to miss.
I see people use them every time I shop. I have no problem when people use them to by food for themselves and their children. That is what they are for. But when they buy party food, junk food, yea that makes me angry. It is our tax money that pays for those party foods.
Just seems there should be some restrictions on what can and cannot be bought.
We live on a fixed income and have to watch what we spend our money on.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
WIC recipients don't get much for food. It's usually just eggs, cheese, milk and orange juice. And they even deliver it all to people.
That's great if it can be delivered. Yes, just a bare minimum of food.

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I have learned that people abuse the system. It should not however reflect on everyone. After my daughter was born 5 years ago and I was unable to walk, stand, or sit due to nerve damage and damaged vertebrae along with other issues from the c-section, I could not return to my self employed work. I am thankful for having some help at the time. I've always been a working and tax paying citizen. When it was my daughters birthday or I needed to prepare a dish for a get together, I bought some food that some might see as "junk" for the occasion...but it was also my responsibility to feed my kids all month long and make smart decisions as well...cooking healthy meals from scratch as much as possible. Every month I had to dip into the small savings to pay my rent, utilities, etc and food too. Stretching $300 a month to feed a family of three can be difficult. Coupons and stocking up on sales is a necessity...and I think that being smart about it is also being a good steward.

Our own Government abuses our tax dollars...so there are issues of waste and fraud everywhere...it's the dishonesty of the world today.

I don't judge because it's not my place and the only situation I understood was my own...but God knows who abuses benefits.
God forbid that someone quick to jump to conclusions should ever find themselves in need of help and then watch someone do the same to you.

Do unto others...

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
Yes, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program.
Note the word SUPPLEMENTAL...it doesnt cover all your food every month no matter how you stretch it....youre still going to spend from your pocket...if you can....if not you find help elsewhere.

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I'm a little old fashion. We used to call them food stamps. It is now a bright green debit card in Arkansas. Hard to miss.
I see people use them every time I shop. I have no problem when people use them to by food for themselves and their children. That is what they are for. But when they buy party food, junk food, yea that makes me angry. It is our tax money that pays for those party foods.
There are restrictions on what you buy and people have to report changes as they occur in their situation and be recertified every 6 months. failure to comply and penalties are very stiff.

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I'm curious what this thread has to do with God anyway? Seems more of a thread to judge people and put them down. I just don't see the point or any God like mentality or love in it...

S

SpoonJuly

I have learned that people abuse the system. It should not however reflect on everyone. After my daughter was born 5 years ago and I was unable to walk, stand, or sit due to nerve damage and damaged vertebrae along with other issues from the c-section, I could not return to my self employed work. I am thankful for having some help at the time. I've always been a working and tax paying citizen. When it was my daughters birthday or I needed to prepare a dish for a get together, I bought some food that some might see as "junk" for the occasion...but it was also my responsibility to feed my kids all month long and make smart decisions as well...cooking healthy meals from scratch as much as possible. Every month I had to dip into the small savings to pay my rent, utilities, etc and food too. Stretching $300 a month to feed a family of three can be difficult. Coupons and stocking up on sales is a necessity...and I think that being smart about it is also being a good steward.

Our own Government abuses our tax dollars...so there are issues of waste and fraud everywhere...it's the dishonesty of the world today.

I don't judge because it's not my place and the only situation I understood was my own...but God knows who abuses benefits.
God forbid that someone quick to jump to conclusions should ever find themselves in need of help and then watch someone do the same to you.

Do unto others...
But you did not buy party food, you did what was necessary to feed your family.
As I said, I see people using this program as it should be every time I shop. I am thankful it is there for you or others that need it. But when some one is obviously abusing it as the two ladies were, yes I get angry.

Sep 14, 2017

Do unto others...
Well said.

I was on the program for a couple of years, because I had to. Times were hard.

Those who never walked in those shoes I've found to be the most insensitive of all.

I'm thankful it was there when I needed it.

Sep 14, 2017
I would recommend that people stop & think before they speak, so that they don't offend those who used it properly.

I haven't been on food stamps & section 8 housing for many years now, and I have God to thank for it.

As a matter of fact, I also have God to thank for that govt apartment & the food stamps too.
God met my needs.:)

D

Depleted

Actually it does have restrictions on it -- the amount they give you and can only be used for food.

Would have loved to given hubby milk thistle, because that's suppose to soften the symptoms of chemo, but nope -- vitamins and supplements aren't food. I ended up taking a bus and a rolling back pack to buy the ground turkey, because that's how far it took to get reasonably priced ground meat. Nine pounds had to last 30 days for two people.

Would have liked to get fresh veggies, but too expensive. Fruit was out, a luxury item. Would have loved to get fish, but too expensive. Did cheat and bought two Tastykakes a month. I suppose you think that's a waste.

Really missed paper towels, napkins, paper plates and such. But that came out of our money. So did TP, deodorant, soap, detergent, etc. Rather tough since we were living on $839 with a $550 a month mortgage, and $300 with a utility bills.

Once again, everyone that need food stamps are bum because someone slips the the holes.

A shame Disability doesn't do that. They tend to cut out people who do need their help, instead.