Genesis, sons of God, nephilim, and Giants

• Thread starter Locoponydirtman
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Locoponydirtman

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
Genesis 6:1‭-‬4 NASB

This has always been a bit confusing to me. Who is the sons of God, and what relationship is the nephilim or Giants to the men of renoun?

Mar 23, 2016
The nephilim are the offspring of the sons of God / daughters of men.

The nephilim are the mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants [Hebrew nephilim] in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

The children which resulted from the sons of God coming in unto the daughters of men were called nephilim ... the same [nephilim] became mighty men, men of renown.

Other names for nephilim:

anakim (sons of Anak) – Numbers 13:33
rephaim (sons of Rapha) – Deuteronomy 2:20 (the word "giants" is the Hebrew word rapha')
emims – Deuteronomy 2:11
horim – Deuteronomy 2:22 (here, Scripture indicates that God destroyed these rapha' for the children of Esau and the children of Esau dwelt in Seir in place of the rapha'.
zamzummim – Deuteronomy 2:20

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

This has always been a bit confusing to me. Who is the sons of God, and what relationship is the nephilim or Giants to the men of renoun?
I've been listening to Dr. Michael Heiser lately; he's written a couple of books on this and related subjects. Reversing Hermon and The Unseen Realm are the titles. I'm looking forward to reading them. He has a regular podcast in which he discusses these issues as well... it's available on YouTube as "The Naked Bible Podcast".

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Sons of God = fallen angels
Giants = perverted offspring of the sons of God and daughters of men

Satan’s attempt to pervert the seed line of Genesis 3:15. The entire OT is about this seed line, Satan attacking, God defending.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
An interesting thing to note is that Job and his friends lived prior to Moses and so the book of Job is older than Genesis. Why that would matter is that Job was not speaking of the sons of God in reference to Genesis, but Moses was giving additional information about the sons of God spoken of in Job.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Men of renown - just men that were of renown - nothing to do with angels begatting with women - angels don't have begatting tackle or 23 chromosomes.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
That settles it, there's no enmity between thy seed and hers because you have no seed...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Who Are the Sons of God and Daughters of Men
in Genesis 6:1-5?
from R.C. Sproul Jr. Sep 22, 2012 Category: Articles

“When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”
Genesis 6:1-5

There are several competing theories on this admittedly peculiar text, a few of them fantastic, at least one of them rather pedestrian, ordinary. Some suggest, for instance, that what is happening here is that angels, typically fallen angels or demons, are intermarrying with human women. My position is the far more pedestrian one, but one that carries with it an important lesson.

First, why I reject this more fantastic view. Angels, whether fallen or not, and though I am happy to concede they can appear in human form, are spirit beings. They have no bodies. Most of the time most of us remember this, though here some seem to forget. Because angels are spirit beings they are not equipped to consummate a marriage and to sire offspring. Demons can do all sorts of shocking and even frightening things. This, however, is not one of them. They can’t bring forth giants because they simply can’t bring forth.

When we consider the context of this text we can better understand what Moses is explaining. In previous chapters we are given a glimpse of two competing lines, the godly line of Seth and the wicked line of Cain. Having established the antithesis in the garden, after affirming that there would be a constant struggle between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent we are given snapshot pictures of each of these armies. We see Seth’s line about the business of exercising dominion, in submission to the Lord.

We see Cain’s line dishonoring the law of God and making names for themselves. But the future is not mere co-existence between the two lines. The drama builds toward the great crisis of Noah’s flood right here in chapter 6. The great change, what creates the great downward spiral of humanity on the earth is that the two lines come together as one. That is, the godly line of Seth, the sons of God, seeing how attractive are the daughters of men, the wicked line of Cain, decide to take them as wives. The end result, however, isn’t mere dilution. It’s not that the now joined line becomes morally lukewarm, but that evil spreads, grows, deepens. This shouldn’t surprise as for as Chuck Swindoll reminds us, if you drop a white glove in the mud, the mud doesn’t get all glovey.

What we see is salt losing its savor. We see what becomes of intermarrying not with a different race, but a different covenant, or a different faith. What we see is what happens when we are unequally yoked. Nothing, of course, has changed. When the children of God find the world attractive, when we determine to yoke ourselves to it, calamity comes. The world does not get any better, but the church, no longer a light on the hill, becomes much worse, and darkness falls upon the land. We are no longer useful for anything and find ourselves trampled upon the ground. https://www.ligonier.org/blog/who-are-sons-god-and-daughters-men-genesis-6/

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
That settles it, there's no enmity between thy seed and hers because you have no seed...

Genesis 3:15 was spoken before Able.Cain, Seth ect. were born.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are many Christians who refuse to believe that the *sons of God* (AS CONTRASTED WITH) *the daughters of men* were evil angels which crossed the boundary between men and angels, and had sexual relations with women.

But that is exactly what the Bible reveals. These angels are called *the angels which kept not their first estate* (Jude) and *the angels that sinned* (Peter), therefore they are imprisoned in Tartarus, and held down with *chains* in darkness, until their final judgment (which is to be cast into the Lake of Fire with the Devil).

The question must be honestly asked as to why a certain group of angels is in prison, whereas evil angels, demons, and Satan are free to roam the earth and influence human beings.

It should not therefore be surprising that their offspring were giants and men of renown, who also corrupted the human race and ultimately brought about the Flood. The Hebrew word translated as *giants* in the KJV (and γίγαντες (gigantes) in the Septuagint) is nephilim, which literally means *fellers*, and therefore tyrants and bullies. There are legends in the mythologies of the world which allude to giants and men of renown, or *gods and heroes*, and all those stories have their origin here. The Book of Enoch (which is regarded as pseudepigraphical) provides considerable detail.

It is disingenuous to claim that *sons of God* represents the line of Seth, while *daughters of men* represents the line of Cain. That is purely an imaginary invention by those who cannot stand the idea that angels can and do take human form, and can function as human males. BTW angels are all invariably masculine, not feminine, as depicted in many pictures. And when they have visited men, they have often appeared as just men.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
There are three main views (not merely two):

1) angels/spirits
2) Sethites
3) princely rulers/dynastic rulers (or, a term used of kings in extra-biblical sources)

When I studied it in-depth, I found that Job 1 & 2 is not referring to an event (or events) which occurred "UP IN Heaven" (that's just for starters...)

[I believe they were humans, not angels]

jb

Feb 27, 2010

Did a bit of a blog on this, you can find it Here

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The Sons of God where fallen Angels who left their first estate and sinned.. They desired the daughters of men ( human woman ) and took them as wives and had hybrid Children by them.. This is one of the reasons that caused God to bring about the great flood..

As for those who believe that Angels cannot take on flesh bodies they need to read the story of the destruction of Sodom in the OT.. Read Genesis 18 and Genesis 19 and you will read of Not only two Angels eating a meal prepared for them by Sarah the wife of Abraham but the LORD himself eating the same meal.. You will also read about these two angels traveling to Sodom and physically interacting with LOT physically grabbing him and pulling him into his hut..

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Some use: Jude 1:6, "And the angels which kept not their first estate, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day."

I don't see anywhere this relates to Genesis 6 or angels mating. It just speaks of rebellious angels, which we already know of. You are reading something in that is just not there.

Job 1:6, 7 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

Now you are assuming this meeting was in heaven and not on earth. Here are the verses:

It kind of looks like it is on earth. Satan was already cast down and imprisoned on the earth. You think God would allow Satan in heaven? You think Satan was regularly reporting to God with his accusations. Nonsense. If God had not inquired, Satan would not have spoken.

James 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

Some are saying we are not called sons after the fall. Because Adam fell we are not called sons.

Sure Adam fell, but God has always left a way for those really seeking Him to find Him. Like Enoch and Noah. If God promised anything to anyone, He promises the same to everyone (see 2 Peter 1:20).

Some are saying it is not until the N.T. that the phrase Sons of God is fully and biblically applied unto men who have been saved. Really!

2 Chr. 15:2 "And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you."

Down through the ages people had access to God for salvation. This is always individually applied, never as a group.

No, saints don't go to heaven to present themselves to God. God comes to them. Matt. 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Why are we having trouble with where Satan is allowed. He was imprisoned on the earth before the Garden of Eden. What makes you think God will allow a fallen angel to go in and out of heaven?
Rev. 12:13a "And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth,"

When scripture does not tell us something we are better not to assume. That is how all these wild stories come about. Let’s quit trying to limit God's power with demons running all amok.

We have one instance where it seems to apply to angels: Job 38:7. Even that is almost poetic and may mean something other than what we believe. We also have a scripture where God does not call angels sons:

Heb. 1:5 "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?"

Genesis 6 and Job 1 and 2 are the only places other than Job 38 where "sons of God" are even mentioned. I say it is a stretch to apply that to cherubim or seraphim. I did not try to interpret Job 38 about the singers, I just left it alone. It may be something out of the element of time which God is not subject to.

So all our arguing about Gen. 6 and Job 1 & 2 is still nothing more than assumption. It also steals from the perception of God's power, which the spirit world knows well of.

2 Tim. 3:5 "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

I also do not establish doctrine on one instance of scripture. It can be misunderstood and It goes against advice elsewhere.

John 8:17 "It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true."

Matt. 18:16 "But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established."

2 Cor. 13:1
"This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." :cool:

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015

Sons of God are God's people......used many times in scripture to signify believers
Nephilim mean tyrants, brutal to those they rule......*raphaim" is the word for "giant" as some transations use
daughters of men are the children of unbelievers

the message is that believing men took the daughters of unbelievers as wives
in mixed marriage......who will teach the children, godly men or pagan women

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Job 1:7 "where have you been?,,,I was in the earth ect." seems to mean he was in the earth but was somewhere else rather than the place he was when ask...

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Brother Nehemiah: It says in the end times it shall be like in the days of NOAH.

Are the nephilim making a comeback? What do you believe? Or did just mean WICKEDNESS in general when it said in the days of Noah? Or that life is regular like Drinking eating marrying building?

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
I agree with the first part; the sons of God are believers.
But I think the daughters themselves were unbelievers.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Sons of God are God's people......used many times in scripture to signify believers
Nephilim mean tyrants, brutal to those they rule......*raphaim" is the word for "giant" as some transations use
daughters of men are the children of unbelievers

in mixed marriage......who will teach the children, godly men or pagan women
Since when did the relationship between a believer and an unbeliever result in a giant.

What we have is a strange mixing of flesh. See Jude.